Breece Hall & AVT - "Black Sunday" Brings Us Back To The Principal Issue

THE BARON

21 hours ago, THE BARON said:

With all due respect, I think you missed the substance of the post.  Losing Hall and AVT hurts, but it also serves to shed light on the prime issue facing the Jets.  The issue that did not go away even when Hall was doing his best work.

The Jets need a QB.  

I think you’re missing the point of how has the QB hurt the Jets?  As bad as the complaints are, as much as he has to grow, which loss is on him?  We had a low scoring output against one of he top defenses, a team that has done that to everyone.  

9 hours ago, Hex said:

To be fair, LaFleur had a lot of really uncreative plays in a lot of those 3 and outs. Zach playing terribly didn't help but it's not like it's a one-man problem.

Since when is d wry okay required to be ‘creative’? Why can’t Zach line up and execute the basic stuff?

To be fair, the okay calling has been mostly fine. Sometimes the defenses undo their jobs, most of the time we can’t execute when Zach is out there.

1 hour ago, Jet Nut said:

I think you’re missing the point of how has the QB hurt the Jets?  As bad as the complaints are, as much as he has to grow, which loss is on him?  We had a low scoring output against one of he top defenses, a team that has done that to everyone.  

Missing wide open receivers and bailing out on a clean pocket costs them yardage, time of possession and points.  Granted they still managed to beat a few damaged teams, but they wont beat good teams if they leave that much money on the table all the time due to bad QB play.  It is as complicated as A,B,C.

I hope he improves, but I don't see it.  

28 minutes ago, THE BARON said:

Missing wide open receivers and bailing out on a clean pocket costs them yardage, time of possession and points.  Granted they still managed to beat a few damaged teams, but they wont beat good teams if they leave that much money on the table all the time due to bad QB play.  It is as complicated as A,B,C.

I hope he improves, but I don't see it.  

He’s not missing WRs more than other QBs, not anything that’s cost them games. He’s a hair under 60% with a limited # of passes.  He’s been over 60% in two of his 4 games.  He isn’t missing short passes at all and hasnt turned the ball over.  He’s leading the team to scoring points.  Yes he needs to improve.  He’s just starting his second season has won 4 straight and were complaining 

5 hours ago, BCJet said:

Dalvin Cook, Saquan Barkely, Frank Gore, Jamal Lewis - its not a devastating injury anymore and thankfully it was just his ACL with minimal impact to the MCL.  Other more devastating knee injuries include the PCL which is much more severe

True. Good names. Barkley doesn’t look as fast though. Frank gore was not the same guy either IMO. Pretty amazing considering he will make the hall of fame. Willis mcgahee was never the same either. I’m not saying it will ruin breeces career but it could make him a tad slower/quick. Time will tell. 

4 hours ago, Jet Nut said:

Seriously?  
Tell us who doesn’t come back from an ACL today?  It’s not the 1980s

I didn’t say he couldn’t come back and have a long very good career. It’s just, will he recover his top end speed and quickness? It’s not a given. That long run on Sunday was amazing. Never seen a jets RB take off like that. The DB who missed the tackle I think was caught by surprise. Unreal.

Just now, Barton said:

I didn’t say he couldn’t come back and have a long very good career. It’s just, will he recover his top end speed and quickness? It’s not a given. That long run on Sunday was amazing. Never seen a jets RB take off like that. The DB who missed the tackle I think was caught by surprise. Unreal.

Yes he will. An ACL doesn’t really impact your top end speed 

On 10/25/2022 at 9:18 AM, THE BARON said:

I've decided I'm going to refer to this last game as "Black Sunday".  Losing BH and AVT in one game is beyond bad,  It is downright cruel.

After absorbing this for a spell, it took me back to the issue that most of us were considering even before the season started.  That being, QB.

As amazing has BH has been, he none the less still occupies the position of RB circa 2022.  We all know how much the 2022 NFL values ball carriers.  And, there is justification for that position no longer being valued as it was several decades ago when the centerpiece of an NFL offense was the ball carrier.

AVT has also been fantastic, even when moved to the outside.  Regardless,  he was drafted as an interior lineman and will do his best work on the inside.  Once again. few teams if any are drafting interior lineman very high in the draft.  Even fewer are putting much cap space into their interior offensive line.

We, all of us know that the tasks of passing the ball and preventing the other team from doing the same is the way a contemporary NFL team goes with the the grain as dictated by the rules.  Any other general strategy is nothing short of adopting the methods of swimming against the current.  It is a flawed doctrine.  One that puts a team at a disadvantage before they even take the field.

Considering this, we see teams dedicating generous cap space to the appropriate positions.  LT, CB, Edge Rushers and, above all...

QB

Losing BH and AVT is only a season killer in the sense that it brings the Jets paramount obstacle back into focus...

QB.

The Jet offense was leaning on the running game and showcasing the brilliant skills of BH as a save for the lack of production at the prime NFL position...

QB.

And, now that the Jets will be taking on a team with a coach that is well known to confound shaky QB's.  And, they will be doing so without the assistance of BH.  Now, we'll get even closer to the all encompassing problem of not having a bona fied franchise...

QB

Again... It hurts to lose BH and AVT, but with medical technology and the apparent work ethic of those two splendid players, I'm confident that we'll see them back next season and after some time on the field, back to top form.  But, the Jets will still be lacking a...

QB

THAT is what Jets fans should *REALLY* be worried about.  There wont be any problem for me watching Wilson get further exposed this Sunday.  I just hope the GM is watching and planning.   2023 draft will be here around the same time that BH and AVT will be well on their way back.

Wow, all that and I guess you’re just saying that you don’t have confidence in ZW? 

Bit wordy…..

Semper Fi

On 10/25/2022 at 10:02 AM, LIJetsFan said:

Ok OP so the take is that JD should be looking to find good players now and in the future.  Thanks for the insight!

As for me I'm just going to enjoy the season and let JD worry about GMing.  JD is the best thing that has happened to this team in decades.  What say we all just relax.  

Totally agree!  

I wonder how the anti-ZW/chicken littles would be like if ZW started the season, gave us the same “crappy” performances, but still managed to be undefeated?  How would it change their views/scares  if we were sitting at 7-0 and on top of the AFCE? 

it’s crazy, this Jets team is sitting 1/2 a game behind Buffalo!!!!! Who the fack saw that coming? 

I’ll just enjoy the season as it unfolds

Semper Fi

• Upvote 1

52 minutes ago, Barton said:

Just saying, ACL injuries don’t cost players their careers.  Especially ones as young as Breece