Chris Simms sounds off on Jets fans

Jetlife33

4 minutes ago, dbatesman said:

That’s interesting, and reassuring (sort of). If I remember correctly, he was the best of the 2021 rookie QBs against pressure, so maybe it’s just one of those stats that fluctuates? I also wonder if they’re coaching him to be more conservative. He certainly looks like a guy who’s doing everything possible not to make a mistake. That’s an optimistic view, maybe, assuming you believe he can just flip a switch. In any event, the bad habits are getting alarming. He’s gotta clean it up.

That actually is one of the main points PFF makes. Even amongst great QB's under pressure rate is way more unstable and can do a 180 from season to season. The problem is that Wilson's is on track to be one of the worst they've ever evaluated, and he hasn't shown the other side of it at the pro level yet. 

So one view of his splits is really optimistic, while the other is scary. Though the optimistic side tends to come out on top with these metrics. Him being so good clean is a really important thing, but whew he's gotta get so much better under fire for him to be good. 

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, jgb said:

He is a "see it, throw it" player right now. He plays like he has no natural feel for the game, at all.

I do notice this too. I feel like the coaching staff has tried to put as much training wheels on him as possible after his gunslinging disaster of a start last year. However it's showing that he's actually really good and natural in those 4th Q situations where he just has to make things happen. On the opposite end of the spectrum he's been terrible in early game scripted sections.

I think the Staff needs to strike a balance. He looks so wonky and unnatural trying to be Mike White. They need to figure out why he's so much better in late game situations and mix a gameplan that has him playing free while also keeping him in check a bit. They've gone so far in the direction of trying to make him someone that doesn't lose games that I'm terrified he's gunshy now. He's fantastic at not turning the ball over now, but on the flipside he doesn't produce. 

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1

8 minutes ago, FrenchJetsFan said:

I think Zach Wilson is taking way too much blame here. The Jets have legit offensive issues right now that go beyond the QB

OL: Revolving door that looks really bad on paper without AVT

WR: Talented, but young 

TE:  Average 

RB:  Average without Breece 

This whole narrative that the Jets offense is some juggernaut that Kirk Cousins could get to the Super Bowl with I’m not buying. 

This is true, however he's still missing plays and not handling pressure well. Needs to be better. 

24 minutes ago, doitny said:

but what good is beating the crappy teams? if he cant play well against the good teams he is no better than a backup QB.

Have you ever considered the OL will play better against bad teams and give him more time in the pocket to play his game?  Of course not.  You're consumed by Zach Wilson.  It might be time for an intervention.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, maury77 said:

I've had a bad day, so I'm happy to unload on Chris Simms for its cathartic effect. Simms is a smug, arrogant douche whose trying desperately to hang on to his "reputation" as someone that is good at idenifying QB talent because he got lucky on 2 classes by picking the freakiest athletes in each class. 

His review of Wilson's performance vs GB is BS. His remark that he did not see Wilson miss any open receivers against Denver is a red herring because you can't tell that without looking at the all 22. Simms can kiss my a$$. 

Yep. Chris Simms went so hard in the paint for Zach predraft that he has to back him now despite overwhelming evidence against him. 

• Upvote 4

39 minutes ago, Supersonic said:

Have you ever considered the OL will play better against bad teams and give him more time in the pocket to play his game?

thats great. so what do we do against the good teams where the OL plays bad.? i guess you didnt see how Fields handle the pressure last night. 10x better than Zach.

43 minutes ago, Supersonic said:

You're consumed by Zach Wilson.  It might be time for an intervention.

yeah me and 100 other people on this site. next bad game it will be 200. what about you? you gonna be the last guy left or just go down with the ship?

3 hours ago, Hex said:

So Zach was 60 yards below average against both teams? That's still pretty crappy. The no INTs thing is nice, though, and it suggests that Zach can improve in things, as he started out as a rookie INT machine, and now he's avoiding those. I think he can be more accurate, he just needs to avoid what looks to me like overcorrection. He also needs to improve his footwork and get rid of his over-excitement. He also needs to fix his touch. These aren't things that can be easily fixed against tough passing defenses, but that's the NFL and he has to improve at some point. Hoping he does as the defenses get easier.

Let’s not get it twisted Zach has been below average so far. Hence the below average stats the last two games. I’m just saying I think the main reason it’s below the average of the defensive averages is because of a lack of urgency in the passing game in the second half (clock management) coupled by really tough road games.

If Zach throws for over 275 yards at this point in his career I almost guarantee a loss. 

8 minutes ago, doitny said:

thats great. so what do we do against the good teams where the OL plays bad.? i guess you didnt see how Fields handle the pressure last night. 10x better than Zach.

yeah me and 100 other people on this site. next bad game it will be 200. what about you? you gonna be the last guy left or just go down with the ship?

In fairness, that was the fields best game by a mile.

5 hours ago, Pac said:

Why does Simms have a wild hair up his ass about this?

Zachs first 2 passes were blatant misses of wide open receivers.  Hes sucked this year and its ok to say he's sucked.

Doesn't mean he still can't turn it around.  I think he's been awful but I  haven't given up hope.

PacZachgnan

58 minutes ago, greenwichjetfan said:

Spends the last 8 months calling everyone “diseased” for not being all sunshine and green goggles - watches Zach Wilson actually play 4 games and can’t escape the disease himself. 

sunday broke alot of people here. i was shocked to see some of the people who hit Zach hard yesterday. i thought they would hold out a little more.

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, Flea Flicking Frank said:

what??? I generally agree with most of what you write, but are you for real here? how can you watch the games and come to this conclusion? This is honestly as crazy a take as I have read on this board

There was absolutely free runners on Sunday.   But sometimes he needs to hit a hot immediately or  throw it away .  Still too many bad decisions.

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, Dunnie said:

Only an asshat would say Justin Fields balled out last night ... And I don't think that's you ... did you even watch the game ???

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

Was Fields great? Hell no. Was he the main reason his offense scored 33 points? Yeah, the game plan revolved around him running and throwing. Has any Jets game plan this year focused on Wilson leading the way? No. The Bears ask Fields to do a hell of a lot more than the Jets ask Wilson to do. 

• Upvote 3
  • Post of the Week 1

Way too much emphasis being put on style points.   I still remember jets vs bills in ‘09 when the jets ran for over 300 yards and lost because Sanchez threw 5 picks.   Sometimes the QB has to understand the game and not lose it rather than win it.  Jets are 4-0 with ZW, let’s see what happens this Sunday.  6-2, J E TS.  

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, FrenchJetsFan said:

I think Zach Wilson is taking way too much blame here. The Jets have legit offensive issues right now that go beyond the QB

This whole narrative that the Jets offense is some juggernaut that Kirk Cousins could get to the Super Bowl with I’m not buying. 

Literally nobody said anything about Kirk Cousins. So, good luck taking issue with things nobody said.

17 minutes ago, LionelRichie said:

Way too much emphasis being put on style points.   I still remember jets vs bills in ‘09 when the jets ran for over 300 yards and lost because Sanchez threw 5 picks.   Sometimes the QB has to understand the game and not lose it rather than win it.  Jets are 4-0 with ZW, let’s see what happens this Sunday.  6-2, J E TS.  

This misses the point.  Yes, there's something to be said for "not losing the game" but, if we have greater aspirations, we need a QB who can also make things happen.  ZW has thrown 1 TD in 4 weeks and < 125 yards per game the last 2 weeks.  How long are we going to be able to sustain this while still winning?

If we're willing to make a trade-off of "very few passing yards" in exchange for "minimal turnovers", that's a pretty low bar for a #2 overall pick.  

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, FrenchJetsFan said:

While I get impatient about ZW, I mostly agree.  I would also add that GB and DEN both had really good pass defenses.

My counter-argument, however, would be that Zach missed open receivers (or made some awful throws) when there were opportunities.  Possibly he's a bit shell-shocked from our horrible OL play.  Or maybe he's dizzy after pirouetting so much.

12 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

This misses the point.  Yes, there's something to be said for "not losing the game" but, if we have greater aspirations, we need a QB who can also make things happen.  ZW has thrown 1 TD in 4 weeks and < 125 yards per game the last 2 weeks.  How long are we going to be able to sustain this while still winning?

If we're willing to make a trade-off of "very few passing yards" in exchange for "minimal turnovers", that's a pretty low bar for a #2 overall pick.  

I get it and not arguing in style points but let’s wait and see what happens when he’s asked to win a game.  He did it the one time he had to in Pittsburg and since then it’s basically been the jets d is better than the other team’s o so don’t lose it and we’re good.  

5 minutes ago, bitonti said:

Zach wilson is a bottom 3 qb by any standard he might even be worse than some backups, including our own 

It's great they are winning its not great they are doing it without a passing game 

There's still a lot TBD but he's not doing very much right now.  

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Grandy said:

I do notice this too. I feel like the coaching staff has tried to put as much training wheels on him as possible after his gunslinging disaster of a start last year. However it's showing that he's actually really good and natural in those 4th Q situations where he just has to make things happen. On the opposite end of the spectrum he's been terrible in early game scripted sections.

I think the Staff needs to strike a balance. He looks so wonky and unnatural trying to be Mike White. They need to figure out why he's so much better in late game situations and mix a gameplan that has him playing free while also keeping him in check a bit. They've gone so far in the direction of trying to make him someone that doesn't lose games that I'm terrified he's gunshy now. He's fantastic at not turning the ball over now, but on the flipside he doesn't produce. 

We can’t even make the argument that they’re overprotecting him and turning him into someone who had to be turned into a game manager like Sanchez, because Sanchez didn’t have close to Wilson’s arm talent and needed to be protected at the highest level…..the reason being is Wilson is 4-0 in 2022.

Now is the time they have to let him try to win games with that arm talent.

He seems to be at his best when he doesn’t have to think too much.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, JoeWillieWhiteShoesHOF said:

He seems to be at his best when he doesn’t have to think too much.

Major issue for a QB, especially when going up against a coach that specializes in confusing the opposing QB

He better think fast

• Upvote 1