NFL Thoughts; Can the Pats Stop the Jets Running Game

Maxman

I'm not too confident about Sunday.  I still think the rats are a beast. It appeared to my untrained eye that the rats were seriously confused on how to handle fields mobility which opened up run / pass. 

We're 1 fields short of being able to replicate that. 

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

The Pats will sell out to stop the run and make Zac Wilson beat them.  It is Belichicks hall mark as a coach, stop what the other team does best so the jets and LaFleur and Saleh  better be ready for it.  Teams that are stubborn and still do not have a plan B lose almost all of the time.

Wilson will have to be legit good in this game for us to win, game management will not cut it.

• Upvote 3

5 hours ago, jgb said:

Be interesting to see what our running game is without its two core components 

I'm really looking forward to this contest for that reason.  As great as Breece is, I think LeFleur's scheme is a substantial part of the success they have had on the ground.  

Other things to watch.  Jets elite special teams vs. a Belichick prepared team.  Zac Wilson vs. a Belichick prepared team.

Belichick's work will be a real nice QC review for the Jets.

As per usual, BB is going to try to take away what a team does best and exploit what they don't do well.  When of offense, the Pats will try to stall the running game and force LeFleur to ask more of Wilson.  

On offense, the Pats will probably try to take advantage of the Jets lack of leverage at the second level of the defense.  Lots of running and plenty of short passing designed for run after catch. 

I think the Jets defense is more than a match for the Pats offense and will play good enouth to won with a reasonable performance by the offence.

I won't say how I see that working out for the Jets offense considering that I expect the Pats will force and dare them to pass.  

OK... I changed my mind.  Zach is going to have a bad day.  Bad things. 

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, prime21 said:

Dark Lord Belichik will want to shut the run and have Zack throw more to beat them.  This could be Zach's opportunity to carry the team.

Fun fact:  Over their careers, Sam Darnold and Zach Wilson have a combined for 0 passing TDs and 13 INTs against Bill Belichick.

If Belichick succeeds in shutting down the running game its very hard to like our chances.

Game plan for this one is not going to be so much different from what we saw last week, but there should be more opportunities to make plays. Balanced offensive attack with a heavy dose of play-action and high percentage pass routes. Will likely operate from the gun a good amount, but will want to pick and choose when they can roll out from under center because the Patriots have been struggling when QBs are on the move whether it be designed runs or pocket movement.

Assuming Elijah Moore is active, look for him to get a lot more looks behind the LOS whether it be on jet sweeps, swing routes, and possibly some wheel routes out of the backfield. The goal will be to dropback around 25 times + run the ball 25 times depending on game script. If the passing offense is going to generate more results, it’s really just Zach needing to be more decisive, on time, and accurate this week than he was last week- there will be opportunities for guys to make plays after the catch more so than downfield. 

You can’t take Bill Belichick and the Patriots lightly because you know they will be prepared, but the Jets are a more talented team as has been the theme most of this year. We match up very well defensively, so it’s really on the offense to play a highly efficient game and they need to find ways to get the ball into our playmakers’ hands because New England’s defense is susceptible in the open field. 

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1

7 hours ago, jgb said:

Be interesting to see what our running game is without its two core components 

I wouldn't call a young (excellent) left guard, who was moved to right guard, then moved to right tackle a core component. That is in no way a slack on AVT. But they have a good center and a pro bowl caliber left side of the line.  Run that way.  :)

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Fun fact:  Over their careers, Sam Darnold and Zach Wilson have a combined for 0 passing TDs and 13 INTs against Bill Belichick.

If Belichick succeeds in shutting down the running game its very hard to like our chances.

Fun Fact: Bill Belichick stinks without Tom Brady.

• Haha 3

3 hours ago, BigRy56 said:

Davis Andrews is in concussion protocol and may not play. This is a game where Quinnen Williams should feast

On Monday night I thought that was a bogus call, the block on him that was a personal foul.

Then I saw the replay and he did get walloped.

3 minutes ago, Maxman said:

I wouldn't call a young (excellent) left guard, who was moved to right guard, then moved to right tackle a core component. That is in no way a slack on AVT. But they have a good center and a pro bowl caliber left side of the line.  Run that way.  :)

Max, AVT was our best OL, and his versatility was part of the reason why.  There’s no sugar-coating that loss.

Just now, Jetsfan80 said:

And yet we haven’t beaten the post-Brady Pats.  As usual, tough sledding ahead on Sunday.  

Really the Jets haven't beaten the Patriots recently? I wish the media would have covered that story a little bit over the last 6 years lol.

The Jets are good. They win this game.

The only reason Belichick is still coaching is for the record. He is going to have to slug it out for a few years, never winning another championship. I get it, he is so close. Might as well finish # 1.

History will be clear though. Belichick is a great coach who wasn't great when Tom Brady wasn't his QB.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Max, AVT was our best OL, and his versatility was part of the reason why.  There’s no sugar-coating that loss.

AVT is a beast. But he isn't the second most important component to the running game behind Breece. I am not saying he isn't important, he is. But Michael Carter is the 2nd core component to the running game and he is starting on Sunday.

3 minutes ago, Maxman said:

AVT is a beast. But he isn't the second most important component to the running game behind Breece. I am not saying he isn't important, he is. But Michael Carter is the 2nd core component to the running game and he is starting on Sunday.

I hear ya.  But you only make a good point here because Conor McDermott isn’t starting this week.  If AVT’s injury had paved the way to that reality, you’d have no case.  lol.  

As it stands the scheme and replacement OL could be good enough to keep things moving in the run game.  

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

I hear ya.  But you only make a good point here because Conor McDermott isn’t starting this week.  If AVT’s injury had paved the way to that reality, you’d have no case.  lol.  

As it stands the scheme and replacement OL could be good enough to keep things moving in the run game.  

That is where you are wrong, Connor McDermott is actually...just kidding.

Yes it is good that he isn't playing. Hopefully Schefter is right and the Jets are thinking about trading for a Tackle.

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Maxman said:

If AVT wasn’t a core component of our run game then we only had one core component to our run game.

i don't know that i'd call the jets run game anything but average at this point.  sure hall and carter have made some great runs but a lot of those are because they forced some missed tackles and are pretty talented.  it seems that too often the jets try to run up the middle and get only a couple of yards.  they seem to always be in third and long situations after two run plays.  i am hopeful this will improve even after losing avt.

18 hours ago, Maxman said:

We are getting closer to having more backup quarterbacks starting than starters starting. Some of that is due to poor play, but most are due to injury.

Welcome aboard, James Robinson!

They were already etching the name Breece Hall on the NFL Offensive Rookie of the Year trophy.

Hey, didn’t you used to be Mac Jones?

I love that they had a segment where great coaches talked about Mumbles Belichick passing George Halas on the NFL’s all-time win list, and he promptly went out and got his ass kicked by the Bears.

If I had to pick which team is more likely to turn things around and make a run – the Bucs or the Packers, I’d ask for a none-of-the-above option.

If the Jets defense left the field, the Broncos would score a touchdown two plays later.

Mahomes is scary good.

There should be an impressive number of high-profile retirements after this season.

Not even Jet fans can understand what life is like as a Detroit Lions fan.

If the playoffs started today, the Giants and Jets would be the five seeds in each conference.

Somebody on the Yankees just swung and missed at strike three.

Not in love with this thing where the ball carrier gets stopped and the rest of the team gets behind him and pushes him forward for more yards. It’s hard enough to play defense in this league without piggy back rides being legal.

Christian McCaffrey is going put up some video game numbers in the Niners system.

Our Heroes in Green

There you have the highs and lows of the NFL season in one game. Winning a second straight road game in a tough building should feel great. The season ending injuries to Breece Hall and Alijah Vera-Tucker take the wind right out of the sails of victory.  Hall was on his way to rookie of the year. Hall is 10th in the league in rushing, and if he didn’t get injured, he would probably would have moved up the 7th on the league’s leading rusher list. Trading for James Robinson helps take some of the sting out Hall’s loss, but neither Robinson nor Michael Carter can do what Breece Hall can.

On the bright side, the Jets are 5-2.  It’s their best start since 2010 and they are a playoff team if the season ended today.  The defense was stellar once again.  The Jets haven’t given up more than 20 points in their last four games and have held their last two opponents to ten points or fewer.

This week the Jets return home to host the Patriots.  The Pats were steamrolled on national television by the lowly Bears on Monday night. The Jets would love to copy the Bears blueprint for success in New England. The Bears only needed 147 yards passing to get the win. That will fit the Jets just fine as Gang Green continues to struggle in the passing game. The Jets only managed 105 yards through the air in Denver. We can assume the Pats will spend this week trying to patch the holes in their rushing defense, which was embarrassed by Chicago to the tune of 243 yards. The Pats figure to fill the box against the Jets and make Zach Wilson win the game. The scheme will be the same for the Jets who will want to put the pressure on either struggling Mac Jones or rookie Bailey Zappe to make enough plays to win. The Jets should find running room against New England even if Belichick stacks defenders near the line of scrimmage. The Pats just aren’t good enough to throttle the Jet running game. It should make life easier for Wilson who should be able to use the play action pass to find success in the air. The team with more balance will win Sunday. It should be the Jets who have more on both sides of the ball right now.

The running game is only one part. Zach can't  be holding the ball. I want to see quick passes, some under 2 seconds near the LOS.  Garrett Wilson has the perfect skill set for bubble screens. I don't  understand why he isn't  getting the ball  and allowing him to break someone's ankles near the LOS.  

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, football guy said:

The goal will be to dropback around 25 times + run the ball 25 times depending on game script.

The first offensive series cannot start with 2 runs directly into the line and ZW facing 3rd and long. Lefleur will need to get Zach moving on a play action rollout and a simple dump off to the TE for 6-7 yards. 2nd play a button-hook to EM for 5 yards and a first down. All quick hit plays to keep Judon off Zach’s back and put the LB’s back on their heals. 
There also needs to be 2 deep balls thrown in the first half to keep the Safeties honest plus a couple of Jet sweeps and a screen or two. 

How Bellicheat hides coverages concerns me deeply. Zach thinks he sees one thing and then Bam! Interception. Zach must be a game manager and secure the ball. No more double pirouette scrambles with the ball in your hand away from your body. I still shake my head at the stupidity of that play. 

I don't know enough about the Patriots to be able to answer the question. I know the Jets have been successful running off tackle and less successful up the middle.

If the Patriots D is good on the edges then yes I do think they can stop the Jets running game fairly easily. But maybe they suck on the edge, idk

32 minutes ago, 32EBoozer said:

The first offensive series cannot start with 2 runs directly into the line and ZW facing 3rd and long. Lefleur will need to get Zach moving on a play action rollout and a simple dump off to the TE for 6-7 yards. 2nd play a button-hook to EM for 5 yards and a first down. All quick hit plays to keep Judon off Zach’s back and put the LB’s back on their heals. 
There also needs to be 2 deep balls thrown in the first half to keep the Safeties honest plus a couple of Jet sweeps and a screen or two. 

How Bellicheat hides coverages concerns me deeply. Zach thinks he sees one thing and then Bam! Interception. Zach must be a game manager and secure the ball. No more double pirouette scrambles with the ball in your hand away from your body. I still shake my head at the stupidity of that play. 

Why do people act like LaFleur runs on early downs all the time?  They were throwing constantly on first and second down and the 1st down runs all got decent gains.  Of all the excuses made for WIlson, that is the lamest IMO