Zach Wilson - Positive Vibes Only Thread

JETS SB

7 hours ago, slimjasi said:

The worst is that he is 33rd in completion percentage. 

I feel completion percentage is huge for him. It's a big metric for any NFL QB, but even more so for Zach given his tendency to do dumb things, go maverick, and make bad plays worst. 66%+ for him shows he is making the quick throws and getting it to his play makers. 

Bills game was great. We've got to see it that range going forward. 

• Upvote 3

17 minutes ago, 65 Toss Power Trap said:

I feel completion percentage is huge for him. It's a big metric for any NFL QB, but even more so for Zach given his tendency to do dumb things, go maverick, and make bad plays worst. 66%+ for him shows he is making the quick throws and getting it to his play makers. 

Bills game was great. We've got to see it that range going forward. 

Zach is currently 8th overall in 4th Quarter completion percentage and 5th overall in 4th quarter QBR. 

• Upvote 4

1 hour ago, Mario said:

Interesting film breakdown. I wanted to see an All 22 on that deep shot to Mims. It looked to be a pretty decent ball. 

I have no idea if Zach Wilson throws a good deep ball because he never throws it. I saw enough from Darnold to know he was terrible at it, but how many have we seen from Zach? 

He hit that one to Corey Davis in GB. It was under thrown, but at least he completed it. Last year he hit that one big one to Corey Davis. He had another the next week in London that drew a PI. Moore dropped one that was slightly over thrown his first game in Carolina.  Other than that I can’t recall too many deep shots.

It’s amazing that they haven’t taken more shots with GW as he appears to be a freak in terms of body control. 

He has one vs NE to GW as well 

55 minutes ago, JETS SB said:

Zach is currently 8th overall in 4th Quarter completion percentage and 5th overall in 4th quarter QBR. 

He seems to be the kind of player that needs to get into a groove and build confidence.  Seems to be able to do that throughout the game.  Probably gives him more time to understand what the D is doing too.

As he gets more comfortable he's going to be able to start out hot too.

It's great they're winning now - as it gives him the time to develop comfortably.  The talent is obvious, just does he have the time to learn how to be an NFL QB?

1 hour ago, Mario said:

Interesting film breakdown. I wanted to see an All 22 on that deep shot to Mims. It looked to be a pretty decent ball. 

I have no idea if Zach Wilson throws a good deep ball because he never throws it. I saw enough from Darnold to know he was terrible at it, but how many have we seen from Zach? 

He hit that one to Corey Davis in GB. It was under thrown, but at least he completed it. Last year he hit that one big one to Corey Davis. He had another the next week in London that drew a PI. Moore dropped one that was slightly over thrown his first game in Carolina.  Other than that I can’t recall too many deep shots.

It’s amazing that they haven’t taken more shots with GW as he appears to be a freak in terms of body control. 

well Zach has been leaving the pocket early and when doing so cant find the open guy so a deep pass is not a good idea. 

there might have been a few called but too many times when he leaving the pocket he took his eyes off downfield and that he cant do. 

if he can prove last week wasnt a mirage and he continues to stay in the pocket i think you will see more deep shots

As a Zach non-believer, it was good to see a game plan built to help him.  We NEED to lean on the running game, and we have to stick with it.

His short, quick throws early were accurate, and he seemed to build confidence off that.  He was quicker with his decision-making, and that ball he threw to Mims on the 3rd and 5 to keep the drive going in the 4th quarter was a thing of beauty.  

But I think they need to keep trying versions of that.  Obviously, we can't be predictable, but variations of that with the occasional deep ball to keep things honest.  

He looked MUCH more comfortable against the Bills.  Now, if he can string another good game like that against the Pats, it will go a long way.

• Upvote 2

50 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

He seems to be the kind of player that needs to get into a groove and build confidence.  Seems to be able to do that throughout the game.  Probably gives him more time to understand what the D is doing too.

As he gets more comfortable he's going to be able to start out hot too.

It's great they're winning now - as it gives him the time to develop comfortably.  The talent is obvious, just does he have the time to learn how to be an NFL QB?

He seems to need to know the defense at a higher level to succeed.  It’s why I expected this season to be up and down while he learns.  

• Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, Sonny Werblin said:

When you have a kid that talented playing QB on your high school team it is just unfair -- it's high school and no matter how good your D is, guys are always open for a QB with that kind of arm.

Not if BB is coaching the other team. 

Check out Nguyen’s article in the The Athletic on ZW if you can, which includes (as always) film analysis.

Here’s the summary basically:

“According to Next Gen Stats, Wilson ranks 35th of 39 qualifying quarterbacks in completion percentage above expectation, which measures the success of a pass relative to the difficulty of the throw. The consensus according to multiple metrics is that Wilson is one of the least accurate passers in the NFL. He also ranks second in turnover-worthy play rate (5.6 percent), according to Pro Football Focus. Playing for a defensive team, he simply can’t be as careless with the ball as he has been. The Jets’ 13 turnovers tie them for sixth-most in the NFL, and Wilson is responsible for six of those in just six games.

What does bode well for Wilson is that he ranks fifth in the league in passer rating when he isn’t pressured (110.2). Usually, quarterback stats from a clean pocket are more stable from year to year. Although this article mostly highlighted the negatives in Wilson’s game, there are flashes of him playing well in structure, and there are instances of the highlight throws that he was drafted to make. However, he must really clean up his footwork and ability to read defenses before Jets fans can feel encouraged about his development.”

1 minute ago, JoeNamathsFurCoat said:

Check out Nguyen’s article in the The Athletic on ZW if you can, which includes (as always) film analysis.

“According to Next Gen Stats, Wilson ranks 35th of 39 qualifying quarterbacks in completion percentage above expectation, which measures the success of a pass relative to the difficulty of the throw. The consensus according to multiple metrics is that Wilson is one of the least accurate passers in the NFL. He also ranks second in turnover-worthy play rate (5.6 percent), according to Pro Football Focus. Playing for a defensive team, he simply can’t be as careless with the ball as he has been. The Jets’ 13 turnovers tie them for sixth-most in the NFL, and Wilson is responsible for six of those in just six games.

What does bode well for Wilson is that he ranks fifth in the league in passer rating when he isn’t pressured (110.2). Usually, quarterback stats from a clean pocket are more stable from year to year. Although this article mostly highlighted the negatives in Wilson’s game, there are flashes of him playing well in structure, and there are instances of the highlight throws that he was drafted to make. However, he must really clean up his footwork and ability to read defenses before Jets fans can feel encouraged about his development.”

I think you posted in the wrong thread 

5-1 bitches... five and one.

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

• Upvote 1

From a macro view the fact this was started weeks ago and  is still only 7 pages while the team is 6-3 speaks volumes about our concerns about this qb.  I’m hoping for some serious growth in which case look out.  If not I almost don’t care anymore so long as we don’t spend the next two years confirming he’s not the guy.