Sauce once again voted Pepsi Zero Sugar ROTW

static14

He deserves all the awards. He has been an instant star and honestly may be all-pro as of right now. With that said - I won’t be surprised if the NFL does away with these rookie of the week awards next year. Pretty clear that if a Jet comes up, they win 100% of the time

• Upvote 3

47 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

On one podcast I heard guys asking what is Sauce's comp?  Like, who does he remind you of?  There was a pause and this guy answered that there really isn't a comp for him.  His length, his feet, his competitiveness aren't things typically found all in the same player.  The crazy thing he said was something like.... He has the quickness and feet of Deion Sanders but the competitiveness of Charles Woodson.

Size-wise, Richard Sherman is a good comp.  Same height although Sauce has longer arms (wingspan is almost 2" longer).  Sauce was also faster out of college than Sherman was but as for style, I can't really say.

What's interesting to me is that the other really impressive rookie CB this year is Tariq Woolen, who is 6'4".  Tall CBs may be coming back into style after this year.

• Upvote 2

48 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

I've been listening to some radio shows and random podcasts that are outside the New York orbit and not Jets-focused.  Some people are talking about Sauce as a potential Pro Bowler as a rookie.

Fantasy football guys are bringing up Sauce when deciding where to rank WRs who are playing against the Jets on fantasy teams.  I haven't heard that kinda stuff since Revis, when fantasy guys were saying things like, "Put Calvin Johnson lower on your list, like the WR2 or WR3 on your team this week because he's facing Revis."

On one podcast I heard guys asking what is Sauce's comp?  Like, who does he remind you of?  There was a pause and this guy answered that there really isn't a comp for him.  His length, his feet, his competitiveness aren't things typically found all in the same player.  The crazy thing he said was something like.... He has the quickness and feet of Deion Sanders but the competitiveness of Charles Woodson.

It's early but he's looking special.  The defense should be built around him and Quininen IMO.  Those should be the anchors.

Pro Bow?? Let's not insult the guy. Right now he is an easy choice for All Pro

• Upvote 2

9 minutes ago, nycdan said:

Size-wise, Richard Sherman is a good comp.  Same height although Sauce has longer arms (wingspan is almost 2" longer).  Sauce was also faster out of college than Sherman was but as for style, I can't really say.

What's interesting to me is that the other really impressive rookie CB this year is Tariq Woolen, who is 6'4".  Tall CBs may be coming back into style after this year.

Stingley is also having a pretty good rookie year

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, BigRy56 said:

He deserves all the awards. He has been an instant star and honestly may be all-pro as of right now. With that said - I won’t be surprised if the NFL does away with these rookie of the week awards next year. Pretty clear that if a Jet comes up, they win 100% of the time

NFL gets money from Pepsi.  No way they get rid of it. 

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, nycdan said:

Stylistically I see it, but as you acknowledged, Gardner is a superior athlete. 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, maury77 said:

Stylistically I see it, but as you acknowledged, Gardner is a superior athlete. 

His instinct is uncanny.  He must be a film rat who has honed his mind as much as he’s a pure athlete.  He knows his craft which seems crazy to me for a rookie.

If he’s good at explaining what he sees he will be every bit as good of a coach as he is a player.  Player coach coming in soon too I’d bet. 

I always think Antonio Cromartie when I see him. Gardner is a little more athletic and has much better instincts as a corner, but they seem very similar to me. 

Gardner worries me a bit because it’s his rookie year and he’s already at the top of the league. He can’t really get much better so he can only stay the same or get worse. How will he handle bumps in the road? This is such a minor concern, though. I’m just enjoying watching him take over the league.

1 hour ago, the Claw said:

I always think Antonio Cromartie when I see him. Gardner is a little more athletic and has much better instincts as a corner, but they seem very similar to me. 

Gardner worries me a bit because it’s his rookie year and he’s already at the top of the league. He can’t really get much better so he can only stay the same or get worse. How will he handle bumps in the road? This is such a minor concern, though. I’m just enjoying watching him take over the league.

People probably said the same thing about Barry Sanders.  Relax and enjoy the ride :)

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

He's been quite good, and he's clearly a big part of why our D has improved. 

Not sure I'm ready to go all in on "All-Pro" as a rookie just yet. Good shot at DRotY perhaps, tho.

He'd need to pile on several more INT's this season to head into that kind of All-Pro neighborhood.

A guy like Tariq Woolen has 4 INT's and 2 Fumble Recoveries, to Sauces 1 INT and 0 FR's.

Sauces big flashing stat of note is passes defensed, at 12 he is #1 in the NFL, with Diggs (at 11) right behind him, and everyone else at 9 or less.

Definitely a great add so far, although he will have to watch those hands, he's getting alot of very friendly Refs not calling him when they very much could.

• 2 weeks later...