Is it sustainable to win with 120 \ 130 yards passing?

Maxman

Mike Lafleur was asked about this on Thursday in the press conference.

Ryan Dunleavy, New York Post: Is it sustainable to keep winning with 120, 130 passing yards or, now that you lost Breece (Hall), do you need more out of your passing game? 

We got a ton of confidence. Yes, Breece is a phenomenal player and only going to get better. I truly believe that the kind of person he is, he is only going to get stronger from this. We got a lot of guys in that room that can carry the ball. Guys like Braxton (Berrios) can carry the ball. There’s a lot of different ways we can get this thing done. We’ve done what we felt like we needed to do with the opponents we’ve been going against, particularly going into their environment. Every week is going to be a little bit different. Like I said last week, it might be the completely the same versus New England, or it might be completely different, or it might be somewhere in between. Who knows where this thing is going to go. We got a plan. Our guys know the plan, and we’re going to move forward with it.

Connor Hughes, SNY: Mike there was, obviously Elijah (Moore) wants the ball, he wants to contribute on offense, but what you guys are doing on offense had led to four straight wins, five of your last six, so how do you balance he wants the ball but what you’re doing is working?

Yeah, no you want all these guys to want the ball and ultimately, it’s (Robert) Saleh and myself and kind of the direction of how we want to take the game and then organically how the game is going to unfold in terms of where the ball is going to go. I was told I guess throughout the last four games we’ve only been down for I think 25 minutes in 240 minutes of ball, so that’s kind of where the game has taken us in those four games and when Elijah (Moore) or any of the other guys need to step up, we know they will, and we have confidence in that.

Connor Hughes, SNY: He obviously wants the ball, but I mean I don’t think it’s always common that a guy wants the ball, but then if he’s not getting it then it’s like I want out, that’s it I want to be traded which is what kind of he made the request to Joe (Douglas), so is it in the back of your mind going into this game like let’s get Elijah (Moore) his touches?

No, in the back of my mind is how can I help this offense move the ball and go win a football game for this organization. How can we play complimentary football? Again, coming up with a plan and putting these guys in the best position to be successful is what we do Monday through Thursday and then kind of from Thursday night on, you’re just trying to piece that thing together how you’re going to call it. Again, we had this conversation two weeks ago just organically throughout the day seeing (Jeff) Ulbrich, talking to (Robert) Saleh how their plan is going and again, I think it’s been pretty cool in terms of winning as a team and whether it be special teams, defense, offense, there’s been a lot of complimentary football and we’re going against the team that’s probably done it the best over the last 20 something years since Bill’s (Belichick) been there and they’re unbelievable at playing complimentary football, that’s what they’ve always preached and they do whatever’s necessary to win football games, so we get a great challenge trying to go against that this week.

• Upvote 1

Rich Cimini, ESPN.com: How Important is timing in the passing game and how would you say Zach, how is he throwing on rhythm and timing? There does seem to be times where he’s holding it a little bit.

Yeah, timing’s crucial in the passing game, right? But there’s two different sets of timing. There’s timing in zone coverage when guys are not getting disrupted at the line of scrimmage, and then there’s timing versus man coverage and when you’re going against man as much as you want to throw it like you did in routes on air with no one in front of them, it’s different. There’s a human that is guarding you and disrupting your timing, so that is something again that we’re all trying to build to, again, he’s throwing to a lot guys that he just started kind of throwing to in the last year, right? So, that’s just something that we’re going to continue to work on and get better at.

Obviously. 

We are living in a b-movie as extras.   We don’t exist.  The end is inevitable.  Rosencrantz and Guilderstein are dead.  

The clean cut looking Mormon kid who loves to bang 2 cheerleaders at a time.  And instagram models. And his moms best friend.  He has the hard knocks to start the movie.  The writer isn’t even trying hard.  

Sauce - the brash trash talking CB everyone loves who is there for the exciting momentum shift.  Sauce?  Super cool name but totally fake.  Real life isn’t that cool.   Writer making it too perfect.  

Clemons?  They wanted to make the guy who worships JoBu in major league.  But tougher scaryer and cooler.  Seriously the writer is just sticking to the script.  

Hall - likable rehab montage coming up.

Becton - cheesy diet and motivational speech coming up.  

Moore?  Teamwork speech and teamwork buy in.  He’s going to throw a big block and run routes hard in key moments.  

G Wilson - like-able I mean I’m not going on you get it. 

Anyway relax and enjoy it.  We only exist for background and mood setting shots.  

• WTF? 2
  • Ugh 1

6 minutes ago, Long Island Leprechaun said:

English teacher alert: What is wrong with the following sentence?

"How can we play complimentary football?"

"Those are some lovely 120 passing games!"

"Why, thank you!  I appreciate you for saying so!"

EDIT: You might appreciate this post of mine:

9 hours ago, Maxman said:

Mike Lafleur was asked about this on Thursday in the press conference.

Ryan Dunleavy, New York Post: Is it sustainable to keep winning with 120, 130 passing yards or, now that you lost Breece (Hall), do you need more out of your passing game? 

We got a ton of confidence. Yes, Breece is a phenomenal player and only going to get better. I truly believe that the kind of person he is, he is only going to get stronger from this. We got a lot of guys in that room that can carry the ball. Guys like Braxton (Berrios) can carry the ball. There’s a lot of different ways we can get this thing done. We’ve done what we felt like we needed to do with the opponents we’ve been going against, particularly going into their environment. Every week is going to be a little bit different. Like I said last week, it might be the completely the same versus New England, or it might be completely different, or it might be somewhere in between. Who knows where this thing is going to go. We got a plan. Our guys know the plan, and we’re going to move forward with it.

Connor Hughes, SNY: Mike there was, obviously Elijah (Moore) wants the ball, he wants to contribute on offense, but what you guys are doing on offense had led to four straight wins, five of your last six, so how do you balance he wants the ball but what you’re doing is working?

Yeah, no you want all these guys to want the ball and ultimately, it’s (Robert) Saleh and myself and kind of the direction of how we want to take the game and then organically how the game is going to unfold in terms of where the ball is going to go. I was told I guess throughout the last four games we’ve only been down for I think 25 minutes in 240 minutes of ball, so that’s kind of where the game has taken us in those four games and when Elijah (Moore) or any of the other guys need to step up, we know they will, and we have confidence in that.

Connor Hughes, SNY: He obviously wants the ball, but I mean I don’t think it’s always common that a guy wants the ball, but then if he’s not getting it then it’s like I want out, that’s it I want to be traded which is what kind of he made the request to Joe (Douglas), so is it in the back of your mind going into this game like let’s get Elijah (Moore) his touches?

No, in the back of my mind is how can I help this offense move the ball and go win a football game for this organization. How can we play complimentary football? Again, coming up with a plan and putting these guys in the best position to be successful is what we do Monday through Thursday and then kind of from Thursday night on, you’re just trying to piece that thing together how you’re going to call it. Again, we had this conversation two weeks ago just organically throughout the day seeing (Jeff) Ulbrich, talking to (Robert) Saleh how their plan is going and again, I think it’s been pretty cool in terms of winning as a team and whether it be special teams, defense, offense, there’s been a lot of complimentary football and we’re going against the team that’s probably done it the best over the last 20 something years since Bill’s (Belichick) been there and they’re unbelievable at playing complimentary football, that’s what they’ve always preached and they do whatever’s necessary to win football games, so we get a great challenge trying to go against that this week.

I don't see it long term.  Our D is very good, NOT Elite yet. We can't expect them to stay on the field as long as they are because Zach does 3 and out a LOT.   We need, IMO, minimum 200 yards, 1TD and that is minimum.

Be curious to see stats of QBs throwing for 100-13 yards with LT success.

7 minutes ago, southparkcpa said:

I don't see it long term.  Our D is very good, NOT Elite yet. We can't expect them to stay on the field as long as they are because Zach does 3 and out a LOT.   We need, IMO, minimum 200 yards, 1TD and that is minimum.

Be curious to see stats of QBs throwing for 100-13 yards with LT success.

You can only go so far with the Trent dilfer model and Zach hasn’t even played to that level yet

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

If you had asked me before the year I would have laughed at this question. But passing is way down across the league. 

Brady is going multiple games without a passing TD. Stafford has more ints than TDs. Russell Wilson looks horrible.  

So yeah,  I think we have already proven that you can win this year without a good passing game. 

I think we can make it to the playoffs because the AFC is more top-heavy than deep. But, I think it's similar to 2009. We have a punchers chance against everyone if we make it to the playoffs, but it just takes a franchise QB like Allen or Maholmes to outgun us and I have doubts that we'd be able to keep up unless Zach steps up in a big way.

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, Joe W. Namath said:

Would Rex Ryans teams have won w/o thomas jones and Dbricashaw?

It was kind of sustainable but not any more.  We lost the 2 guys who were most responsible for winning that way.

Welcome back to the dark side, Joe W.  We all knew you'd be back. 

"They all come back"

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, slats said:

Joe Douglas, to his credit, has built a roster here that can win despite the QB. If Zach one day becomes part of a future trivia question where the two other answers are Jim McMahon and Trent Dilfer, I’ll take it, but that’s no way to plan. Zach needs to play better. Kinda simple as that. Otherwise they’re gonna have a big decision or two on their hands this winter. 

Yeah sure of course we would love to have Zach be part of that trivia question however thats nothing more than fantasy. Like you said there will be a decision made this winter. If he doesnt improve he will be replaced. No GM drafts a QB hoping to get Trent Dilfer ever.

• Upvote 2

It's a good question and the answer probably is NO. You need more passing yards to consistently win in the NFL. But there are times when during the course of a game the defense doesn't give you the pass consistently and teams adapt to change their game plan. Or the game plan was short passes and the run game. Can Zach give the team the kind of yards expected of a franchise Qb. He has the arm for that but so far even last week almost everything was short yardage. I'd like to see them go downfield more often. 

No......but we just faced two of the better pass defenses in the league and decided to feature the run. This point gets lost in the agenda driving from some on here. The fact is there will be weeks where the run gets completely taken away or it will be more advantageous to pass and we’ll have to get it done in the air. More then likely we will have one of those games on Sunday. We won’t win those games throwing for only 100 yards. We will need better production from Zach and our receivers in those instances....

2 hours ago, Augustiniak said:

Wilson had 252 passing yards vs Pittsburgh.  Is it so hard to understand that the more you have a lead the more likely you are to run?

We just faced two of the best pass defenses in the league back to back. That’s what makes these “matter of fact” statements so terrible after one game. 

1 hour ago, Joe W. Namath said:

Would Rex Ryans teams have won w/o thomas jones and Dbricashaw?

It was kind of sustainable but not any more.  We lost the 2 guys who were most responsible for winning that way.

You remind me of the people in invasion of the body snatchers who resist and then get taken over by the aliens and completely change. You’ve contracted the disease that you railed against for so long. I hope you snap out of it because you were a valuable voice of positivity on an often very negative board. We are 5-2, we have a very favorable schedule so I think we can be competitive all season, and we’ll get those players back for next year when the real championship contender run was supposed to take place. Don’t give up the faith now Joe, we need you!

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, slats said:

Joe Douglas, to his credit, has built a roster here that can win despite the QB. 

Win vs. the weaker teams.  

BB will feast on ZW and the Bills are going to steam roll the Jets in general.  

No QB = No Games In January and Certainly Not In February. 

This is not negativity. This is practicality.

The positive.  The rest of the roster is shaping up.  Not only that.  The roster is very young and the cap/money situation suggests that they are going to sustain a very talented roster season to season.  

And... JD's hot hand in evaluating talent (forgiving him for Wilson and Becton) will be on the job selecting the next QB.  I know you don't agree, but if Wilson continues to play as badly as I expect, the problem will be so demonstrable, JD will be all-in on drafting a QB high in 2023. 

Once this regime gets a good QB, we can all look forward to a team  that plays well every week and will also be treating us to playoff football every season, 

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, docdhc said:

You remind me of the people in invasion of the body snatchers who resist and then get taken over by the aliens and completely change. You’ve contracted the disease that you railed against for so long. I hope you snap out of it because you were a valuable voice of positivity on an often very negative board. We are 5-2, we have a very favorable schedule so I think we can be competitive all season, and we’ll get those players back for next year when the real championship contender run was supposed to take place. Don’t give up the faith now Joe, we need you!

Im being realistic.  I still think we are going to have a very successful season. But w/o hall and avt, we are going to have to throw more then 120 yards a game and throw a few tds every now and then.

• Upvote 2