Is it sustainable to win with 120 \ 130 yards passing?

Maxman

4 hours ago, Long Island Leprechaun said:

English teacher alert: What is wrong with the following sentence?

"How can we play complimentary football?"

The words compliment and complement are often confused, especially in internet articles and posts. 

Yeah, the word used in that context should be "complementary."  As a teacher, I'd tell students that "salt and pepper complement each other...they go well together.  And, if you get that correct in your papers, I'll compliment you!"

Making the mistake doesn't bother me at all when people are just posting in forums, comment sections, etc.  It does bother me when supposedly professional journalists make the mistake in printed articles.

BTW, at the high schools I taught at in Tennessee, the "notable confusables" like compliment/complement and many others were heavily focused on in 10th grade as part of trying to improve students' standardized test scores.

• Upvote 2

I don’t think the 120-130 passing yards is the problem.  
The problem is he makes those 120-130 passing yards look like the most difficult accomplishment ever achieved.  He makes it look like he was playing the 85 Bears in a blizzard. 

120-130 is no big deal if it’s off effortless play action passes to keep the defense honest. 

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Joe W. Namath said:

Im being realistic.  I still think we are going to have a very successful season. But w/o hall and avt, we are going to have to throw more then 120 yards a game and throw a few tds every now and then.

thats it Joe. be realistic. be honest. your not the Jet Nation mascot who has to be positive all the time. you either have to be blind, stupid or related to Zach Wilson to not see he hasnt be good and we have a serious QB problem. 

good for you. 

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Skeptable said:

obviously its not sustainable but it was a good game plan against the top 2 pass defenses in the NFL... I think the majority of this board fails to realize that this was more game plan and less Zach Wilson sucks narrative.

I think you fail to realize that the majority of his passes were off target, and that is not the game plan. Even his receptions were mostly due to great contortion catches by the receivers of passes behind them or over their heads.

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 2

13 hours ago, Maxman said:

Rich Cimini, ESPN.com: How Important is timing in the passing game and how would you say Zach, how is he throwing on rhythm and timing? There does seem to be times where he’s holding it a little bit.

Yeah, timing’s crucial in the passing game, right? But there’s two different sets of timing. There’s timing in zone coverage when guys are not getting disrupted at the line of scrimmage, and then there’s timing versus man coverage and when you’re going against man as much as you want to throw it like you did in routes on air with no one in front of them, it’s different. There’s a human that is guarding you and disrupting your timing, so that is something again that we’re all trying to build to, again, he’s throwing to a lot guys that he just started kind of throwing to in the last year, right? So, that’s just something that we’re going to continue to work on and get better at.

Solid question from Rich.  Kind of a blow off answer from Lil Mikey.  Obviously the timing on routes differ per coverage you're facing but to Rich's point, the timing is clearly off and IMO this is where they really need to dial it in if he's ever going to improve but it's his drop backs and his tendency to fade/bail.  That impacts timing more than anything else.  Doesnt matter how good of call you have if the QB fades/bails, it's all out the window and it becomes a free for all.  If the drop back calls for 3 and you get 5, well, then the timing is off and the ball is late.  We see it all from Zach.  It's crazy to me this hasnt been fixed.  It seems like one of the easiest things to coach up.  Kind of lame to put in on chemistry, honestly.  He's been playing with Davis/Moore/Berrios/Mims/Smith for plenty of time.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, doitny said:

thats it Joe. be realistic. be honest. your not the Jet Nation mascot who has to be positive all the time. you either have to be blind, stupid or related to Zach Wilson to not see he hasnt be good and we have a serious QB problem. 

good for you. 

Lets be honest, if Zach Wilson was on the Dolphins doing this, 100% of this board would be laughing at him.

I am still rooting for him to be the guy, but he has been terrible and getting worse by the game.

This Sunday would be a great time to start turning this around.

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1

Zach’s performance has been “uneven” at best.  Now he’s hampered by an offensive line that wasn’t strong to begin with and has lost its best player.

Pats will jam the box and press his receivers.  He’ll have tough sledding once again.  However, it’s a signature game for him and his team.  Spotlight is on him more than ever.  Hoping he has a good game (as we all are) to lead the team to what would be the biggest Jets win in many a year.

3 hours ago, viffer said:

I think you fail to realize that the majority of his passes were off target, and that is not the game plan. Even his receptions were mostly due to great contortion catches by the receivers of passes behind them or over their heads.

I think you fail to realize both qbs were struggling because the winds were swirling, you could see the kickers have trouble in Denver as well... Whether you want to consider weather, defenses and lead were reasons that they didn't need Zach to throw then I can't help you.

6 hours ago, TheClashFan said:

The words compliment and complement are often confused, especially in internet articles and posts. 

Yeah, the word used in that context should be "complementary."  As a teacher, I'd tell students that "salt and pepper complement each other...they go well together.  And, if you get that correct in your papers, I'll compliment you!"

Making the mistake doesn't bother me at all when people are just posting in forums, comment sections, etc.  It does bother me when supposedly professional journalists make the mistake in printed articles.

BTW, at the high schools I taught at in Tennessee, the "notable confusables" like compliment/complement and many others were heavily focused on in 10th grade as part of trying to improve students' standardized test scores.

Bingo! My compliments. :)

The worst I've seen is the Daily News guy referencing someone being "out of bounce." C'mon, Man!

• Upvote 1

No, it's not sustainable. It's good enough to win games a lot and even get into the postseason if the rest of the team is good enough, but teams rarely win a super bowl with a sub-par QB. In fact, the times that teams did the QB stepped up and played better than simple game manager. Otherwise the team lost at some point in the playoffs. 

The last non-elite QB to play in the SB is Jimmy Garoppolo, and the 49ers lost because he overthrew his WR. Before that, Jared Goff and his 3 point SB team. If the Jets want to reach their ultimate goal, their QB has to carry the team. And don't give me that crap about rushing more when a team is in the lead, because the Jets were barely hanging on against the Broncos and Zach still ended up throwing for only 126 yards. Yea I get Denver's a tough defense but Zach's subpar play in early quarters against much easier defenses doesn't help. He had a really good quarter against Pittsburgh and we can only hope to see that more, but it is not sustainable to keep doing this. Defense will figure the Jets O out very quickly and sell out against the run and getting to the QB before he can throw. We have seen this with lots of blitzing, and Zach is at his worst when not in a clean pocket.

So if you're ok with 9-8 and 10-7 teams that occasionally make it to the playoffs but don't do much else then sure, 120-130 yards might be sustainable if defenses don't figure the O out. Otherwise, no. Teams can lean on their running game for a little bit of time but as we saw vs Denver running backs are much less durable when they have to carry the offense. The rushing game is at its best, in fact, when the passing game is better than mediocre, because defenses have to anticipate the threat of both. Otherwise the offense becomes one-dimensional.

We better hope Zach Wilson improves as the weeks go on, because even a 15-2 Jets team with current Zach isn't going to the SB.

• Upvote 1

I don’t understand people having a problem seeing that yes, the team is playing very well, and the QB has been terrible.

The second half he put up against Pittsburgh was terrific, but it’s been what? 18 games now for him? The excuses being made for Zach are unbelievable. Especially when you consider how these same fans love to make fun of other teams QB’s.

On 10/28/2022 at 2:48 PM, Joe W. Namath said:

Lets be honest, if Zach Wilson was on the Dolphins doing this, 100% of this board would be laughing at him.

I am still rooting for him to be the guy, but he has been terrible and getting worse by the game.

This Sunday would be a great time to start turning this around.

actually aside from some follies well documented I thought he has actually been pretty good so far this season and I really have no complaints...Chris Simms like production which is all any team needs that have good defense and good run game.  I actually have been amazed since he came back from injury last season how few INT he has thrown. I have to admit after that 1st Pats game last season I was worried he was a bust but I am still not sure which way this will go now.  Don't get me wrong though this can go really bad pretty quick but I have no clue cause I have seen him make plays that surprised me so there is that and I have no idea who will win tomorrow.