Jump to content

CJ Mosley Recognition Thread


Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, OtherwiseHappyinLife said:

Is it just me or has he been reborn the last few weeks?

Quicker, faster, more violent.  Filling lanes aggressively and chasing ball carriers from behind and sideline to sideline.

Better against the pass.  It’s taken perfect passes to beat him.

A pleasant surprise and a big reason for the defense’s success.

No. When healthy, he's always been very good. With his only downside in coverage. Something you don't nec. want to rely on him for anyway.

Has he been underappreciated? Yes. Ever since he got hurt and missed major time. Fans just look at the contract.    

  • Upvote 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

33 minutes ago, PepPep said:

No. When healthy, he's always been very good. With his only downside in coverage. Something you don't nec. want to rely on him for anyway.

Has he been underappreciated? Yes. Ever since he got hurt and missed major time. Fans just look at the contract.    

Good post. I was upset JD didn't draft his replacement this year.  But now, I'll admit I was wrong.  With his improved play, it almost makes sense to restructure him a bit and keep him around.  He's still a very good player even at age 30.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, peekskill68 said:

Good post. I was upset JD didn't draft his replacement this year.  But now, I'll admit I was wrong.  With his improved play, it almost makes sense to restructure him a bit and keep him around.  He's still a very good player even at age 30.

they just restructured him lol

Link to comment
Share on other sites

He would be a HUGE favorite around here if it weren't for the contract.  That's really the only major issue.  The same reasons he was brought here originally, talent, leadership, competitiveness, smarts, all still hold true.

He's playing really well right now, and from September through January that's all I really care about.  Will go back to bitching about his cost come FA time again. lol

 

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Agree with most of the responses but as others like to say around here, multiple things can be true at the same time.

1. Yes, he’s been under appreciated 

2. He has elevated his play the last few weeks.  His resurgence has been pretty amazing.  Don’t know the reasons why but he is starting to pop more and make bigger plays.  And his coverage has improved.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

23 hours ago, OtherwiseHappyinLife said:

Is it just me or has he been reborn the last few weeks?

Quicker, faster, more violent.  Filling lanes aggressively and chasing ball carriers from behind and sideline to sideline.

Better against the pass.  It’s taken perfect passes to beat him.

A pleasant surprise and a big reason for the defense’s success.

In my opinion he was always HIM. One of the few players Mac brought in that I was really happy about even if I didn't like the contract. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Always was a big CJ Mosley fan and was happy to land him, albeit at awful $$$ from a team perspective (Thanks Mac) 

Hes a lil Older now, and not the most perfect fit for our defense, but happy to finally see what he can bring to the table fully healthy, and his experience and leadership for this young Defense is priceless!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, carlito1171 said:

Always was a big CJ Mosley fan and was happy to land him, albeit at awful $$$ from a team perspective (Thanks Mac) 

Hes a lil Older now, and not the most perfect fit for our defense, but happy to finally see what he can bring to the table fully healthy, and his experience and leadership for this young Defense is priceless!

we've paid more for way less...

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 10/28/2022 at 3:25 PM, David Harris said:

Love  his attitude and leadership, but the reworking of the CJ contract looks pretty ugly to me. Mac’s gift that keeps on giving. It would have expired if CJ didn’t take the Covid year off. 

doesn’t look like there’s any good way to get out of it now for several years.

 

 

495659B0-7CA5-46FB-98E1-657A2D6ABAA3.png

They can - and should - get out of it after this season. He’s worth nowhere near $17MM in new money next year no matter how it’s structured. 

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 10/28/2022 at 3:25 PM, David Harris said:

Love  his attitude and leadership, but the reworking of the CJ contract looks pretty ugly to me. Mac’s gift that keeps on giving. It would have expired if CJ didn’t take the Covid year off. 

doesn’t look like there’s any good way to get out of it now for several years.

 

 

495659B0-7CA5-46FB-98E1-657A2D6ABAA3.png

They can - and should - get out of it after this season. He’s worth nowhere near $17MM in new money next year, no matter how it’s currently structured or further restructured.

Post 6/1 cut = $17MM savings next year. Yes there’d then be a $10MM dead cap hit in ‘24 but $6MM of that was predestined to be dead cap a year later anyway.

Look at what a player additionally costs to keep, and whether he’ll be worth that (which he won’t); not the optics of dead cap space that can be put off to a year with a ~$230MM cap ceiling when half to most of the starters will still be on cheaper rookie contracts.

With or without the 2022 restructure he got paid the same amount, because more space was needed late this summer than coming up next year & the year after.

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 10/28/2022 at 2:05 PM, Sperm Edwards said:

Cut him after the season

Nah. He's gonna get restructured. He has 17M/year coming on his deal the next two years that he won't remotely see if he gets cut, and he also has 2 void years that have the Jets staring at a large cap hit if they straight cut him. Combine that with good (not great) play and leadership and you have the recipe for an extension that spreads his money and lowers his cap hit for the next few years.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Sperm Edwards said:

They can - and should - get out of it after this season. He’s worth nowhere near $17MM in new money next year, no matter how it’s currently structured or further restructured.

Post 6/1 cut = $17MM savings next year. Yes there’d then be a $10MM dead cap hit in ‘24 but $6MM of that was predestined to be dead cap a year later anyway.

Look at what a player additionally costs to keep, and whether he’ll be worth that (which he won’t); not the optics of dead cap space that can be put off to a year with a ~$230MM cap ceiling when half to most of the starters will still be on cheaper rookie contracts.

With or without the 2022 restructure he got paid the same amount, because more space was needed late this summer than coming up next year & the year after.

Sure, but then you also need to factor in the cost of replacing him and the hit to the locker room, so before you cut him you go offer him what you'd give a FA in his position.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...