Veteran QB Next Year

PS17

18 hours ago, PS17 said:

The team is ready to win now. Wilson is the worst QB in the league. I can’t see Joe Douglas standing pat with the current roster he’s built. Who do we go after this offseason? I doubt we’ll be in a position to draft one of the premier rookies and frankly I’m sick of going that route. My first thought is Aaron Rodgers because he and the Packers seem ready for a divorce. Someone in the game thread mentioned Jimmy G. What do you think? Who else could break free? 

We don't need a vet. The guy we need is already on the roster.

r931215_2_1296x729_16-9.jpg

18 hours ago, PS17 said:

The team is ready to win now. Wilson is the worst QB in the league. I can’t see Joe Douglas standing pat with the current roster he’s built. Who do we go after this offseason? I doubt we’ll be in a position to draft one of the premier rookies and frankly I’m sick of going that route. My first thought is Aaron Rodgers because he and the Packers seem ready for a divorce. Someone in the game thread mentioned Jimmy G. What do you think? Who else could break free? 

Double post

18 hours ago, PS17 said:

While ZW is def. holding back the team (as is the injury plagued OL) and playing very poorly, there is a bit of a stretch calling him the worst, worst ever, or a big of a bust as Russell or Rosen. So, you are saying the Sam Darnold, Trevor are better? Put this another way, how many QBs at the bottom of the league would be playing even worse behind this OL? Has ZW played well? NO! Has he had a string of really bad games? YES. I think we over estimate other QBs, however. Last year, this team was going crazy about Mac Jones being amazing - how did that turn out? 

I get the frustration, but this site goes bonkers with hyperbole - Last year and the beggining of this year, posters on this site were saying the same thing about Saleh. He is the worst Jets HC ever (even worse that Kottite, worst in the league.

ZW may turn out to be a bust especially considering his draft status, but he has the skills and there is still a chance he turns it around; I agree he has looked brutal lately, but still would rather have him than Darnold back. 

• Upvote 1

I think you go after Arod.  He can start next year and give Zach a full year of watching how this sh*t is done.  We cant keep drafting young guys and expect them to hit the ground running.  That barely happens for lucky teams, much less us.  

• Upvote 1

16 hours ago, Untouchable said:

I say veteran QB right now

Rodgers is probably a pipe dream, but a dude like Minshew could possibly be had.

This is 100% a playoff team with a solid gamemanager behind center who doesn’t constantly sh*t his britches and forget the basic fundamentals of the position at the first sign of pressure.

Playoff team with no OL? IMO, any shot at playoffs was lost when we lost AVT and Breece. I hope that I am totally wrong.

Rogers is done, and trouble maker, and is way too expensive. He is 50 million/year guaranteed for the next 2 or 3 years. We would have to punt out all of our Vets to get him including DL, LB, WR, and what is left of our OL.

Minshew? really? We go that route and next year the whole board is like fire JD bringing in this waste. And, if he is good, why should another team trade him away?

Mike White isn't anywhere close to the arm talent and athleticism of Zack Wilson.

However, Zack Wilson isn't remotely close to the pocket presence and decision making that Mike White has.

With a MUCH improved roster...I am curious to see how Mike White looks and I think the coaching staff is too.

If Wilson bombs again against the Bills, make the switch during the bye.

• Upvote 2

16 hours ago, heymangold said:

Lamar or Minshew.

You think the Ravens let him walk? While Lamar is great, the real problem with him is that our wonderful OC wants to play every QB as a game manager. Lamar has been successful because the Ravens coaching staff dramatically altered the O to suit his skill set (much like Denver did with Tebow). Lamar would suck here. LaFluer won't play to ZWs strengths, but he will to Lamar's?

Just now, bostonmajet said:

You think the Ravens let him walk? While Lamar is great, the real problem with him is that our wonderful OC wants to play every QB as a game manager. Lamar has been successful because the Ravens coaching staff dramatically altered the O to suit his skill set (much like Denver did with Tebow). Lamar would suck here. LaFluer won't play to ZWs strengths, but he will to Lamar's?

Probably not - but if they don’t franchise him JD has gotta go after him. Or if he is franchised, a trade attempt needs to be made.

18 hours ago, PS17 said:

Absolutely need a veteran QB who isn't washed up like Flacco.  

Obviously Wilson can not be guaranteed to be our future QB.  He is terrible with no signs of improvement week-to-week.

4 minutes ago, heymangold said:

Probably not - but if they don’t franchise him JD has gotta go after him. Or if he is franchised, a trade attempt needs to be made.

Yep, let's trade away a ton of draft capital (so no fixing OL or anything else) to pay Lamar 40 million/year (have to get rid of a bunch of players) so that LaFleur will try and turn him into a game manager. And, if the Ravens are going to trade Lamar (which they will not), it will be to an NFC team.

Just now, Mario said:

He cut down on his TOs last year before he got hurt. 

Well then he is in good company because ZW cut down on his TOs at the end of last year too ... :-)

Yesterday sucked, so I get it. But, if we are going to make a change, I would prefer JD go find a QB that we won't all be complaining about next year too. Just not sure who that would be.

22 minutes ago, bostonmajet said:

Yep, let's trade away a ton of draft capital (so no fixing OL or anything else) to pay Lamar 40 million/year (have to get rid of a bunch of players) so that LaFleur will try and turn him into a game manager. And, if the Ravens are going to trade Lamar (which they will not), it will be to an NFC team.

I mean what’s the other option?  Drafting another qb in the first round?  This team is young enough at almost every position that draft capital is expendable.  I’d rather invest into a QB that’s a former MVP, top 8 in the league then go back to the well of trying to find one in the draft.  Sanchez, Geno, Hackenberg, Darnold - enough of it!  Go get someone that’s done it in the NFL at a high level. This team is too good to be constantly shot in the foot by horrible QB play.

13 hours ago, Green Ghost said:

What if I told you we could get a 27 yo proven starter in this league.

A guy who has proven he can win, and take a team with a balanced offense to the playoffs.

A guy who isn’t a game manager, in fact he’s got a great arm, and isn’t afraid to show it off.

This is our chance to change the narrative around here. The Jets need a leader.

Excited Baker Mayfield GIF by Cleveland Browns

*Minshew wouldn’t be bad either…

Zach is so terrible I would roll the f-ing red carpet out for Baker and bake him some dangerous cupcakes. Make it happen Joe! 

• Sympathy 1

4 hours ago, bostonmajet said:

So, you were unhappy with ZW's 3 INTs but you want Winston?

To be fair, Jameis  has cleaned his game up alot.

in 97 they went after Vinny and how did that turn out.

their early careers are very similar.

I would absolutely consider him

5 hours ago, heymangold said:

I mean what’s the other option?  Drafting another qb in the first round?  This team is young enough at almost every position that draft capital is expendable.  I’d rather invest into a QB that’s a former MVP, top 8 in the league then go back to the well of trying to find one in the draft.  Sanchez, Geno, Hackenberg, Darnold - enough of it!  Go get someone that’s done it in the NFL at a high level. This team is too good to be constantly shot in the foot by horrible QB play.

I get it; it is tough. The problem in this league is that finding the right QB is extremely difficult. As such, trading for them is expensive. Signing one off of FA is unlikely as the good ones are under contract or Franchise Tag. And, of course, drafting one is a roll of the dice.

While the team is good, it is not too good - the OL is in shambles, mostly because of injuries, but it is not elite - in addition to getting our IR players back, we need a good young C, G, LB, and FS. Maybe we can find a serviceable QB, but the likelihood is that they will give ZW the rest of the year, and maybe next year. Maybe the find some competition, but I doubt it.