The Post Game Zach Sucks Thread (merged)

Mario

Is Zach afraid to stand in the pocket and get hit? His first reaction is to always go backwards and then run around losing sight of down field receivers. If he is getting tired of throwing the ball away then stay in the pocket and hit the open receivers down field. In this league the QB sometimes needs to take a hit in the pocket just after throwing the ball but he never does this. He eyes the rush instead of receivers even on check downs. He needs to step up in the pocket to make throws and not throw off his back foot. He should even step up and run which he never seems to do. What are the coaches coaching him to do, make business decisions?

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 2

9 minutes ago, hawk said:

If anyone has the game rewind thing from NFL that shows end zone cam, I'd really appreciate if you can post a snippet of that 4th and 5 that Zach could have walked for a first down.  

He could have gained 10 yards without getting touched.  Then he throws off platform when he could have easily set his feet.  This is the prime example of his main issue.  Won’t take the layups.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, HawkeyeJet said:

He could have gained 10 yards without getting touched.  Then he throws off platform when he could have easily set his feet.  This is the prime example of his main issue.  Won’t take the layups.

100% why I am looking for it.

All we need is someone who will take what's there.  We do not need hero ball.

6 minutes ago, BigB said:

Is Zach afraid to stand in the pocket and get hit? His first reaction is to always go backwards and then run around losing sight of down field receivers. If he is getting tired of throwing the ball away then stay in the pocket and hit the open receivers down field. In this league the QB sometimes needs to take a hit in the pocket just after throwing the ball but he never does this. He eyes the rush instead of receivers even on check downs. He needs to step up in the pocket to make throws and not throw off his back foot. He should even step up and run which he never seems to do. What are the coaches coaching him to do, make business decisions?

That's the big problem with him and I don't think its going away. 

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, BigB said:

You are right on the money. He reminds me of Christian Hackenberg. 

10 minutes ago, hawk said:

Yes, thank you.   For **** sake.  

This is the type of play that needs to be made.

Not for nothing, but now looking at that play. What a terrible play call, you need 5 yards to live on and you run 3 guys straight up into the end zone and 2 before the sticks. Why make it so hard? Quick slant. Done. 

1 minute ago, Zachtomims47 said:

Not for nothing, but now looking at that play. What a terrible play call, you need 5 yards to live on and you run 3 guys straight up into the end zone and 2 before the sticks. Why make it so hard? Quick slant. Done. 

I can't argue with that, but the end result, the middle was wide open.  How do we know that isn't the design?

1 hour ago, JoeNamathsFurCoat said:

Wilson basically just admitted chafing at what LaFleur and the coaches have asked him to do, which is to play smart and within himself instead of doing whatever TF he feels like out there 

Mike White, Joe Flacco, and Josh Johnson all had monster games under LaFleur. Why can't Zach? 

• Upvote 2

56 minutes ago, BigB said:

Zach can’t play with consistent rhythm in an offense, and has shown no growth towards doing so.

The ball rarely comes out at the top of his drop , except for a couple of scripted play calls he is comfortable running.

Sometimes it looks like he holds the ball too long on purpose, just to get into a scrabble drill situation.

Quite maddening.

On 10/30/2022 at 5:07 PM, JoeNamathsFurCoat said:

@TomShane @Creepy Lurker @TuscanyTile2 next step, QB1 ??

Considering Saleh's love affair with Flacco, it makes me think that Mike White is probably kicking butt in practice.  And probably JD and Saleh are starting to have some real questions about why ZW is not progressing.

Mike White plays the type of style you can win with in the NFL.  And the Jets have a good enough defense that they don't need the offense to do the heavy lifting.  Plus Mike White is the type of QB that can drive a team down the field and give the defense a rest.  Plus, his arm looked much stronger in preseason than it did last year (and he had a reputation for being a strong-armed QB at one point).

And JD and Saleh probably want to avoid the hot seat after the hot start.  They probably see an opportunity at the post-season and they want to break the playoff drought.   

30 minutes ago, dbatesman said:

There’s an easy answer here, which is just to say they didn’t want the Pats to sign him and get the playbook. This answer, on the other hand, is…weird.

That would make sense, as Belichick is just that conniving and desperate, but it doesn’t explain the White/Flacco stuff, or why Flacco is apparently demoted the rest of the year, and why now? 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, SuicidalSince98 said:

Great throw after great throw 

one pick was on a throw away, the other desperately trying to make something happen 

he proved that he can sling it today 

Are you middle aged woman?

Asking for a friend.

• Haha 1

This is my first post. I have been a Jets fan since 1968 back when I 10 yrs old and I started watching football games with my Dad who was a Jets fan. It was an amazing season to get into football and watch Broadway Joe lead the Jets to Super Bowl III and then guarantee the win and then go out there and deliver on it (giving the AFL instant legitimacy).

Unfortunately, I believe Joe Namath was the only excellent QB draft selection the Jets ever made since 1965 in their attempt to find another franchise QB to lead us back to the SuperBowl. They got close in 1983 if they had taken Marino, who seemed like a natural choice for us with him being born & raised in Pittsburgh (which is not too far from Joe Namath’s old home town in Beaver Falls, PA) and with Marino coping Namath’s quick release. But the Jets passed him over for Ken O’Brien (who I would take in a heartbeat over Zach Wilson). Fast forward to recent drafts and they are still passing over future great QB’s like Patrick Mahomes and Josh Allen.

As a long suffering Jets fan of 55 years (and a season ticket holder on 3 separate times during that span), I have come to believe we probably should never draft another QB ever again. We might have to instead take our money and try to trade for whoever is the best QB we can get (like we did back in 1998 with Vinnie Testaverde).

Maybe I’m wrong and the next QB we draft will be the next Patrick Mahomes and he will go on to lead us to our 2nd SuperBowl. But I’m also worried I might be dead before I ever get to see us win another SuperBowl!

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

13 minutes ago, hawk said:

Are you middle aged woman?

Asking for a friend.

Are you? You seem to be freaking out over a ball that was thrown away not out of bounds enough. Did Wilson no do everything this board had clamored for the last two weeks? 

Do you really think a guy that had 2 INTs in 9 games coming into total can’t clean up those stupid picks? None of them were situations where he could t see the field well.

• More Ugh 1

3 minutes ago, WeCantDraftGoodQBs said:

Maybe I’m wrong and the next QB we draft will be the next Patrick Mahomes and he will go on to lead us to our 2nd SuperBowl. But I’m also worried I might be dead before I ever get to see us win another SuperBowl!

We're only 5 short years away!

1721241281_ArchManning2.JPG.67a3909b139f47e4e6d1aad8e9b91747.JPG

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, JoeNamathsFurCoat said:

Yo this is bad, however you want to look at it

Kapono starting to crack under the scrutiny 

Throwing his WRs and playcaller under the bus ? 

Dude still doesn’t understand what “open” means in the NFL vs college

Nobody’s ever open so I figure why not throw it to the other team?  I mean seriously?

This quotes very telling. The offense has become a bunch of guys finger pointing. Zach clearly alluding to no one being open and kinda resenting the offense to ask him to be a game manager. Really curious to what they do after the bye considering Buffalo is probably going to trounce them. 

41 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

Considering Saleh's lover affair with Flacco, it makes me think that Mike White is probably kicking butt in practice.  And probably JD and Saleh are starting to have some real questions about why ZW is not progressing.

Mike White plays the type of style you can win with in the NFL.  And the Jets have a good enough defense that they don't need the offense to do the heavy lifting.  Plus Mike White is the type of QB that can drive a team down the field and give the defense a rest.  Plus, his arm looked much stronger in preseason than it did last year (and he had a reputation for being a strong-armed QB at one point).

And JD and Saleh probably want to avoid the hot seat after the hot start.  They probably see an opportunity at the post-season and they want to break the playoff drought.   

Agreed

Question is when do Saleh and Douglas come to terms with the reality that, unless they course correct, Zach Wilson will eventually cost them their jobs 

My sense is they’re still holding out hope for Wilson even though they know deep down he’s not the answer

5 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

That would make sense, as Belichick is just that conniving and desperate, but it doesn’t explain the White/Flacco stuff, or why Flacco is apparently demoted the rest of the year, and why now? 

The “couple of things” comment is sticking in my craw. One thing we’ve seen is that Saleh just isn’t a cloak-and-dagger type. If something’s going on, you can always tell.

As for the #2 stuff, I think it’s just Occam’s razor: they’re frustrated with Wilson, and in the event he needs to sit, they’ve seen enough from Flacco to know he wouldn’t be much of an upgrade, while White offers at least some upside.

If you want a seriously wild left-field conspiracy theory, here’s something to chew on before bed: Wilson felt threatened by White’s run last year. His people pointedly suggested to the Jets that Flacco should be kept as the #2, presumably under the guise of him being a good mentor. The Jets went along with it because it’s a minor thing to placate the guy they figured was a franchise QB in the making, and because the entire organization has a baffling level of belief in Flacco anyway. Now there’s the real possibility of this undermanned, too-young-to-know-better outfit making the playoffs…but only if they hide said presumed franchise QB under a pile of coats. The more they ask said QB to do, the worse he gets. Their second best receiver is in open revolt over how much said QB sucks. And said QB’s public comments—specifically, his refusal to blame himself for today’s loss and his admission that, essentially, he gets bored playing smart football—while they technically took place after the depth chart move, may betray some attitudinal/maturity issues that have Saleh saying: guess what, princess, if you’re going to play like this, no more kid gloves. 

All of the preceding was pulled from the darkest recesses of my ass, but it’s Sunday night after a dispiriting loss, so 

77A62ED0-3FDF-4449-A4D5-8188AFD0A5BB.gif.8afb50fc4b0523c973d5896e9562a0c3.gif

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1