This board’s ridiculous

Phillyjet

17 minutes ago, JetsRay said:

I absolutely hate this fan base and this board sometimes.

The knee jerk reactions are so over the top ridiculous I feel like this place is being infiltrated with 3rd graders.

While the INT's sucked, there was a ton of good that we can take from this game and Zach's performance
Last week it was "OMG he only threw for 120 yds," this week he throws for 350, exactly as anybody with any logic or reason would suspect with Breece Hall gone and the team having to rely on the pass, and he did a lot of good things, but that isn' enough for our arm chair scouts.

Two of the INT's were Zach trying to do too much, trying to salvage the drive, they were 3rd and long throws, and they sailed on him, both of those plays are plays he's both going to make someday, and learn to not throw them. He'll work on mechanics, it is fixable. The 3rd INT when he was trying to get rid of the ball, he didn't get it far enough out of bounds, also fixable, he knew it right away and the rest of the game you saw him correct that.

STOP THE BS Jets fans, this is a 2nd year QB, he's played 18 total games.

We are still 5-3, we still have a season, the Pats and Belichick have always been a team that knows how to attack a defense and make QB's look bad. Have some ******* patience

My jaw just hit the ground. What game were you watching.  Zach was playing like an idiot

He almost stepped out of bounds in the end zone for a safety  while being chased. He liberally  threw the ball away on the last step before running out of the right side of the EZ. He was overthrowing players with no rush. He was off target on outlet throws. YES Zach made some good throws as well. That is why he was the second overall pick but to this day, Zach has not put together a complete game. Say what you want about Jones but he has put together 4 qrts of winning football multiple times. Two of his picks, Zach was trying to throw away the ball. Not once, twice. It is why Saleh said we need to find out why Zach is having trouble throwing the ball away. I mean what exactly made up for the bad you saw. About 1/3 of his yards came in garbage time. 

• Upvote 2

14 hours ago, Phillyjet said:

Sky is always falling every time we lose.  Did Zach play well today?  No, he wasn’t good enough.  We saw good and bad Zach today.  He’ll face adversity now.  We’ll see how he responds.

But this idea of reflexively changing qbs or that he is a bust, I don’t really get.  We have another 8 games to go.  His evaluation will occur at season’s end.  Face it, we are sinking and swimming with him this year.  We’ll see how he responds.

I still rather have his upside than any of the qbs in his class.  Mac’s ceiling is pretty obvious.  If Zach can figure it out, his talent is pretty special.  Those who hate him fail to see the dimes he also threw today.  If he doesn’t figure it out we’ll bring in a vet next year to compete with him. 

Saw this one coming, and so I am not gonna go to the gutter.  We were due for a humbling and adversity. Now we’ll see in the second half how we respond.  I expect a much better game from Zach next week.  We’ll see how they do against the Bills.

Onward; trade deadline next. We’re 5-3.  Get over it.

^  excuse machine.  Wilson is terrible and doesn't show any signs of improvement thus far.

• Upvote 3

14 hours ago, heymangold said:

Zach is the reason the jets lost today.  The defense gave up 1 touchdown.  They bent, didn’t break.  Zach threw the ball to the opposing team 3 times - 2 more targets then he did his 2nd best receiver.  And it wasn’t the o-lines fault. If the run game isn’t going to produce like it had, he has to be better.  And I have zero faith that he’s going to be.

The defense played great yesterday!  They didn't even really bend when you consider the fact they were given short field position where they didn't even need to gain a yard to kick a field goal.  Pats should've really only scored 16 points.  

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, More Cowbell said:

My jaw just hit the ground. What game were you watching.  Zach was playing like an idiot

He almost stepped out of bounds in the end zone for a safety  while being chased. He liberally  threw the ball away on the last step before running out of the right side of the EZ. He was overthrowing players with no rush. He was off target on outlet throws. YES Zach made some good throws as well. That is why he was the second overall pick but to this day, Zach has not put together a complete game. Say what you want about Jones but he has put together 4 qrts of winning football multiple times. Two of his picks, Zach was trying to throw away the ball. Not once, twice. It is why Saleh said we need to find out why Zach is having trouble throwing the ball away. I mean what exactly made up for the bad you saw. About 1/3 of his yards came in garbage time. 

More nonsense...

There was no garbage time in that game, the team was in the game until the onside kick failed in the last minute. Why doesn't Zach get credit on that drive, the long play to Mims?  

The 3 INT's were bad, already explained it, two were on plays Zach tried to extend because they were 3rd and long situations. The last INT it could be argued he was trying to do too much. That is the competitive spirit you want in a QB, a guy that doesn't give up on any play. We all agree Zach needs to find the right balance of trying to be heroic and then knowing when he has no play.

Zach has put several complete games together, including this year, the Pitt game comes to mind where he was just awesome in leading the team back.

Some of you are looking for and seeing what you want to see, and many of you are not being realistic or fair in your analysis.

The NFL is a hard league, all one has to do is look at QB play across the league. There is only one Josh Allen and Pat Mahomes, and then everyone else.

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 1

26 minutes ago, JetsRay said:

More nonsense...

There was no garbage time in that game, the team was in the game until the onside kick failed in the last minute. Why doesn't Zach get credit on that drive, the long play to Mims?  

The 3 INT's were bad, already explained it, two were on plays Zach tried to extend because they were 3rd and long situations. The last INT it could be argued he was trying to do too much. That is the competitive spirit you want in a QB, a guy that doesn't give up on any play. We all agree Zach needs to find the right balance of trying to be heroic and then knowing when he has no play.

Zach has put several complete games together, including this year, the Pitt game comes to mind where he was just awesome in leading the team back.

Some of you are looking for and seeing what you want to see, and many of you are not being realistic or fair in your analysis.

The NFL is a hard league, all one has to do is look at QB play across the league. There is only one Josh Allen and Pat Mahomes, and then everyone else.

Because NE was rushing 3 the last drive or did your love for Zach screw up your eyes. Why do you think he had so much time in the pocket.

Pitt, LMAO. That was Zachs best game of the season, I will give you that but he basically sleepwalking through the first 3 qrts. Your savior led the team to 10 points in the first half and put up a goose egg in the 3rd while Pitt took the lead  and didn't  score again until the final two drives of the 4th. He needed a frantic 4th Qrt comeback to win. I thought he showed a lot of guts that game and I gave him a ton of credit at the time. I had though he turned the corner but complete game is scoring in all 4 qrts and not falling behind in the second half when you go into the half winning. Even if it is a FG, don't  have a zero production qrt. 

We all know how hard it is to win but Zach is at the bottom of the league.  And there isn't  just Allen and Mahomes and everyone else. Hurt, Herbert, Burrow, Tua, Hell, put Stafford, and Murray in there. As poorly as they are playing, I would take them in a heartbeat than watch Zach given the choice. 

2 hours ago, undertow said:

I'm actually surprised there's not more infantile Zach fanboys having meltdowns on here...I'm proud of most of them for just disappearing.  Never forget people wanting you banned around here for having the opinion that the QB wasn't good. lol

Another good thing:  No one is really arguing that the Jets "ruined" Wilson like they did during the Darnold era.

• Upvote 2

11 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Another good thing:  No one is really arguing that the Jets "ruined" Wilson like they did during the Darnold era.

At least with Darnold you can point to the lack of talent around him being terrible.  Can't do that with Wilson.  I'm surprised there's still a few here defending him.  It truly has me perplexed when you look at it from a numbers perspective.   When you put facts in their face that he's been at the very bottom of the league both this year and last year, it's truly remarkable how they go out of their way to say he's making progress.  

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, gastineau_intestinal_tract said:

you want to bench wilson in favor of flacco.   i think we know what category you fall under

Yeah...>The category that realizes that Wilson is one of the worst QB's in the league.  Actually WANTING to start Flacco proves how bad Wilson is.

19 hours ago, Adoni Beast said:

He’s losing us games. He sucks…until proven otherwise. 

Decent QB play and we win this game by 2 scores and last week by the same.

Well he is 4-1 so that would be “game”. But carry on. Mike White wouldn’t score at all yesterday. But I guess that’s your choice. 

4 hours ago, BallinPB said:

The defense played great yesterday!  They didn't even really bend when you consider the fact they were given short field position where they didn't even need to gain a yard to kick a field goal.  Pats should've really only scored 16 points.  

The defense was not great, sorry. They made the worst play of the game that effected the outcome of the game and the season, more than any singular play in recent memory and couldn’t stop Stevenson. Pats took the ball in the 2nd half and scored in 3 minutes. Too easy. Secondary good. Linebackers sucked. Line had sacks but otherwise was bad like the rest of the players and coaches. 

10 minutes ago, JETS SB said:

Well he is 4-1 so that would be “game”. But carry on. Mike White wouldn’t score at all yesterday. But I guess that’s your choice. 

I'm actually a supporter of Zack Wilson and don't feel the story is over for him here.

But yesterday wasn't just a BAD GAME, those happen. He threw it away from being "bored" and frustrated. 

That's inexcusable. I am curious to see what Mike White looks like if Wilson continues to trend that way....I hope it never comes to that.

• Upvote 1

Just now, Adoni Beast said:

I'm actually a supporter of Zack Wilson and don't feel the story is over for him here.

But yesterday wasn't just a BAD GAME, those happen. He threw it away from being "bored" and frustrated. 

That's inexcusable. I am curious to see what Mike White looks like if Wilson continues to trend that way....I hope it never comes to that.

The vexing thing about those comments was that wilson actually knows what to do and knows what the coaches want him to do, but then essentially disobeys them and runs around and does his thing anyway.  At what point will he realize he can’t get away with that in the pros?  

19 hours ago, Phillyjet said:

Sky is always falling every time we lose.  Did Zach play well today?  No, he wasn’t good enough.  We saw good and bad Zach today.  He’ll face adversity now.  We’ll see how he responds.

But this idea of reflexively changing qbs or that he is a bust, I don’t really get.  We have another 8 games to go.  His evaluation will occur at season’s end.  Face it, we are sinking and swimming with him this year.  We’ll see how he responds.

I still rather have his upside than any of the qbs in his class.  Mac’s ceiling is pretty obvious.  If Zach can figure it out, his talent is pretty special.  Those who hate him fail to see the dimes he also threw today.  If he doesn’t figure it out we’ll bring in a vet next year to compete with him. 

Saw this one coming, and so I am not gonna go to the gutter.  We were due for a humbling and adversity. Now we’ll see in the second half how we respond.  I expect a much better game from Zach next week.  We’ll see how they do against the Bills.

We have 9 games remaining. The NFL went to a 17 game schedule one season ago.

2 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

The vexing thing about those comments was that wilson actually knows what to do and knows what the coaches want him to do, but then essentially disobeys them and runs around and does his thing anyway.  At what point will he realize he can’t get away with that in the pros?  

This is my major concern. Not that he had 3 picks (those games happen to everyone).

But each one of those was so brutal watching live....and then the comments as to why during the postgame were alarming.

As a QB and leader of the team....you have to take it as a responsibility to put your team in the best position to execute and win. You can't just wing and start tossing it because you're frustrated no ones open, or you don't like the play design, or the fact that throwing it away bores you, etc...it's actually kind of insane that he said that out loud. 

I think he needs a come-to-Jesus-moment with Saleh and LaFleur honestly.

You throw a pick man coverage for a ball up for grabs 50/50 shot, hey it happens....you don't see a LB over the middle cause your own crossing WR was blocking your view, hey it happens....you get baited thinking you're seeing man coverage but its a deep zone with a safety over the top to help, hey it happens....

But you want to play cowboy? This is a professional team. Not even the scout team QB doing that flies here. Take what's there or throw it away when the play breaks down. Have an internal clock when you're scrambling out of the pocket.

In hindsight, the team should have had a quality veteran in place after drafting Wilson, and had him sit and learn.  It's obviously too late for that, but now the team has a QB who continues to make the same mistakes and seems afraid to get hit.  Now, without some drastic improvement by Wilson, the team is in the same predicament - no starting QB.

I’m with Chris Simms… the fan base has a difficult time watching a young qb take his lumps.  Did we see stupid Zach today?  Yes.  He tried to play hero ball today.  He doesn’t throw two of those picks, we are likely having a different conversation.  He’ll either grow form this or he won’t.

I for one continue to enjoy watching a young team rise.  They have played well beyond my expectations.  Losing sucks, but it happens.  

Been a fan a long time.  Have seen far worse than this.  Thank goodness JD is at the wheel.

This is where I am right now…

I think losing our RB was a death knell to this offense. However you feel about Wilson, it’s painfully obvious he’s not good enough right now to be it’s focal point. He’s going to have to be a lot better then what he’s shown though, and he needs to get there soon.
There’s a lot of talent here, and I’d love to see this team continue to gel and make the playoffs. However it’s just as important imo that Wilson plays out the season. 
I don’t want to go into next year (with an even better team hopefully) wondering whether or not he’s the guy. This is his chance to show everyone he is.

• Upvote 1

That's a bad take...

There have been conversations about Zach since he was drafted. He was a controversial pick @ #2 overall (far from being a consensus pick). He was terrible last season, though he cut back on interceptions, which was... nice I guess? But he was rated as the 34th QB in the league IIRC.

He picked up where he left off this season, with very little production (but still no INTs). After 4 games, he was rated 34th QB in the league before Sundays game. He never inspired confidence in anyone. He rarely sustained drives. He missed on a lot of passes. And he completely crumbled under pressure. Even if the team was winning, he was called out as the weak link, and a non-trivial amount of fans (and people on this board) spoke up about needing to address the QB position.

To take this on a personal level as to the 'sky is falling aspect'. I was not part of the those speaking up about poor QB play. I'm an optimist by nature. I fully expect to see our QB stand up when he was called upon and lead the team. But after this game, I've lost hope. I had a very similar game watching Darnold. We were down, but not out, and Darnold threw 3-4 interceptions, and I was out. It's the same feeling now... I think I've hit a point where I just don't see him doing well. I do not want him to fail. I do not want to see the team lose. However, I have lost faith that he can be the guy moving forward. If he proves me wrong, I'll come cheering! This isn't personal. I just don't expect that he will prove me wrong. And, as a fan,  that hurts.

If we had lost, but Zach had played well, we would not be having the Jetnation meltdown that we have. But too much poor QB play over the years have made it so that there is no patience anymore. There is no margin for error. That's not fair to Zach, but that's where we're at.

On your second point about the upside, agreed! I still think his upside, compared to what was available when the Jets picked, is still higher than Fields, than Mac... But that's unfortunately a very low bar... Now, can he reach that potential? Does he have the mental ability to move past this and learn? I'm not sure we've seen much of that yet.

25 minutes ago, Adoni Beast said:

This is my major concern. Not that he had 3 picks (those games happen to everyone).

But each one of those was so brutal watching live....and then the comments as to why during the postgame were alarming.

As a QB and leader of the team....you have to take it as a responsibility to put your team in the best position to execute and win. You can't just wing and start tossing it because you're frustrated no ones open, or you don't like the play design, or the fact that throwing it away bores you, etc...it's actually kind of insane that he said that out loud. 

I think he needs a come-to-Jesus-moment with Saleh and LaFleur honestly.

You throw a pick man coverage for a ball up for grabs 50/50 shot, hey it happens....you don't see a LB over the middle cause your own crossing WR was blocking your view, hey it happens....you get baited thinking you're seeing man coverage but its a deep zone with a safety over the top to help, hey it happens....

But you want to play cowboy? This is a professional team. Not even the scout team QB doing that flies here. Take what's there or throw it away when the play breaks down. Have an internal clock when you're scrambling out of the pocket.

This does beg the question, is ZW being used correctly?  If ZW is saying he wants to play a lot out of the pocket, where he seems to make his best throws, either the coaches need to design more plays so ZW is more comfortable, or the coaches need to bench him b/c he won’t run the offense.  His 2 best throws the past 2 weeks are the rollouts where he hit davis and wilson for big gains.  It’s not an accident.

10 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

This does beg the question, is ZW being used correctly?  If ZW is saying he wants to play a lot out of the pocket, where he seems to make his best throws, either the coaches need to design more plays so ZW is more comfortable, or the coaches need to bench him b/c he won’t run the offense.  His 2 best throws the past 2 weeks are the rollouts where he hit davis and wilson for big gains.  It’s not an accident.

True...but it also matters compared to game plan. 

New England is a team you do not want to call many designed roll outs and cut off half to 3/4s of the field for your quarterback. That plays right into their hands and avoids their weakness (the middle of the field).

New England is slow on D especially in the middle and its where your receivers can do their most damage.

20 hours ago, Adoni Beast said:

Serious question. How many games has he lost us this year that you are having a knipshin?

20 hours ago, Adoni Beast said:

Who cares how much they win by, they won last week , so if you place all the blame on Zach he lost 1 game,

56 minutes ago, Green Ghost said:

This is where I am right now…

I think losing our RB was a death knell to this offense. However you feel about Wilson, it’s painfully obvious he’s not good enough right now to be it’s focal point. He’s going to have to be a lot better then what he’s shown though, and he needs to get there soon.
There’s a lot of talent here, and I’d love to see this team continue to gel and make the playoffs. However it’s just as important imo that Wilson plays out the season. 
I don’t want to go into next year (with an even better team hopefully) wondering whether or not he’s the guy. This is his chance to show everyone he is.

Agree.

whatever it ends up being with Zach has to be known by end of this year.

I can’t imagine they go into next year with any type of question mark.

My outstanding question is though whether there is a risk of losing the locker room by keeping him in if he continues to struggle

• Upvote 2

24 minutes ago, Trotter said:

Agree.

whatever it ends up being with Zach has to be known by end of this year.

I can’t imagine they go into next year with any type of question mark.

My outstanding question is though whether there is a risk of losing the locker room by keeping him in if he continues to struggle

Exactly... agree with what Saleh did today.   This says nothing about next year and whether they bring in someone to compete with him.  But for now, his run with us is baked this year.  He doesn't have the rookie excuse.  He'll need to respond, or he won't.  Honeymoon is over.  I still see the upside, but it's gotta start clicking consistently.  

• Upvote 1

I won’t expect anything better..if anything, it’ll be more bad mechanics. God help us if we fall behind, he’ll be jacking up freebies to the whole secondary.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

1 hour ago, PepPep said:

Serious question. How many games has he lost us this year that you are having a knipshin?

No knipshin, but honestly the Denver game should have been a 2 score - 3 score easy victory for us if he had hit so gimmes, and I was also referring to last season.

Look, I like the kid and I think he has all the tools. But he literally threw away yesterday's game for reckless hero ball.

Btw your avatar is an all time Jets picture and should be posted in on the walls in Florham Park.

• Upvote 1

16 hours ago, Adoni Beast said:

No knipshin, but honestly the Denver game should have been a 2 score - 3 score easy victory for us if he had hit so gimmes, and I was also referring to last season.

Look, I like the kid and I think he has all the tools. But he literally threw away yesterday's game for reckless hero ball.

Btw your avatar is an all time Jets picture and should be posted in on the walls in Florham Park.

In general I agree. I don't think anyone is arguing (or I dunno, maybe some are) that Zach made some bonehead plays that cost the Jets the game. Or at the very least prevented them from coming back and beating the Pats. 

Zach is far from a finished product. Which means, he is far from a complete NFL QB in this league. He is in his second year and he will have games like this. He will have games where he wins it (Pitt) and games where he loses it (NE) for the team. He will have games where he is a non-factor and the game is determined by the run game and/or defense. While there are a number of young stud QBs who are playmakers and make a bigger impact, a lot of young QBs (especially when thrust into the starting role) start or not, will still have these kinds of games. 

And he may never develop into a great QB. But like you said, he has the tools. Not all QBs hit the ground running. The Jets have two options, they can cut bait or they can wait it out and develop him. There really is no 'right' or 'wrong' way to do it. We all saw what can happen (Darnold) if you try to develop a guy who, in the end, just doesn't have what it takes. Then again, there are countless examples of star QBs who didn't play great their first couple of seasons. People bring up Peyton Manning. But how about Eli Manning? How about Drew Brees? Big Ben? I mean none of these guys put up eye popping stats. All of them threw a lot of INTs and not a ton of TDs in their first couple of seasons and went on to bring a SB trophy to their teams. 

Its just crazy to me how fans can't step back and see the forest for the trees. This is a second year QB who's got a ton of talent and has been winning us games playing solid, mostly turnover free football. He has a bad game where he makes some rookie mistakes and everyone turns on him. Its the reason for the OP's reaction. Fans are so fickle.

If he has a decent game with no turnovers (like we have already seen from him multiple times this season) against Buffalo...and the Jets win...will the NE game be forgotten? Will the Zach haters criticize him for not having a big game? Will the Zach apologists lift him up as our savior? 

He's just a talented second year QB who has a long way to go. We sink or swim with him this year and make an evaluation come the offseason.    

On 10/31/2022 at 10:23 AM, JetsRay said:

More nonsense...

Because Belichick knows:

1. The Jets have no timeouts

2. They have to score twice

3. the time left on the clock tells him with a two score lead, that the odds are insurmountably in his favor if he just keeps everything in front of him, don't blitz, give Zach all the time in the world to throw it (he might do something stupid).

No, he certainly didn't want the Jets to score a TD, but again, what are the odds an onside kick works? Twice in one season? It's called strategy. Bellichick is pretty good at it. 

On 10/30/2022 at 6:24 PM, Phillyjet said:

This post is ridiculous 

21 hours ago, Adoni Beast said:

Why would it continue? He admitted it is wrong and realized that he cost the Jets the game. And Mike White is not a good NFL QB. There is nothing to see there.

I am relatively new here, I joined around the last year or 2 of Darnold.   I remember the back and forth between the pro-Darnold and anti-Darnold stuff.  This reminds me of that.  

Question: So if you were anti-Darnold you have been proven to be correct.  He wasn't good.  Time has told us this.  So, do those people get a little credit for being right? Maybe they know what they are talking about if they say the same thing about Wilson?  

Or does this board take the approach that they got lucky with Darnold and don't know what they are talking about with Wilson?

I think we should start a new star system here.  If you thought Darnold sucked and Wilson too.. and you are proven right in the future.. you should get 5 stars.  This way we can tell by their username (and the stars next to them) that this person might know what they are talking about. 

Maybe we can avoid these debates in the future.

I am all for it.  I agree with me.

2 hours ago, PepPep said:

Its just crazy to me how fans can't step back and see the forest for the trees.

I agree, but not in the way you'd want. 

I'm amazed Jets Fans, with our shared history of long experience of seeing QB busts and bad QB's, somehow cannot see another looming bust right in front of them, despite his being pretty much the worst producing QB in the NFL in both of his years so far.

This is a second year QB who's got a ton of talent

He does not have a "ton" of talent.  He has above average arm strength and escapability, and subpar accuracy, decision making, field vision and ability to do something after he has evaded.

and has been winning us games playing solid, mostly turnover free football.

The team won the games, mostly in spite of him, and mostly on the backs of a top-end Defense (so far) and Hall at RB.

Zach was mostly along for the ride, or tasked with ultra-conservative play.  When he was required to do more, we saw what we get in NE.

He has a bad game where he makes some rookie mistakes and everyone turns on him.

I haven't turned on him.  I've never believed he was the guy for us, and nothing I've seen so far makes me feel that evaluation was off the mark.  He's everything I expected him to be so far.

Fans are so fickle.

Some of you maybe.  

If he has a decent game with no turnovers (like we have already seen from him multiple times this season) against Buffalo...and the Jets win...will the NE game be forgotten?

No.  The Bills game will just get added to the ongoing evaluation of Zach.

Will the Zach haters criticize him for not having a big game? Will the Zach apologists lift him up as our savior? 

I'll evaluate his play quality and respond accordingly.  

We sink or swim with him this year

We may (and likely will) choose just that, but we don't have to do so.

Some of us didn't need all of year 2 or year 3 to know Darnold was a bust who wouldn't work out at the NFL level. 

But some folks seem determined to let busts waste three full seasons and get traded or cut before they see them for what they are.

and make an evaluation come the offseason.    

Without a massive improvement, that's a given, aye.