Seriously, Geno Smith is outplaying the majority of NFL QBs rn

Paradis

7 hours ago, BallinPB said:

I've been watching Geno this year.  It's crazy to see how good he is playing.  He's not just playing good actually, he's playing on the level of Mahomes and Allen.  

He could've easily had 300 yards with 4 TDS yesterday if it wasn't for key drops.  I mean Lockett was wide open for a walk-in 40 yard TD and he just dropped it.  

Moreover, some of the passes Geno is making is elite level QB throws.  He's not waiting for the WR to break before he throws it perfectly to where it needs to be.  He's dropping dimes in tight coverage.  Throwing balls super well on the move.  

He's also matured into a leader.  After that Lockett drop you saw Geno on the sideline giving him a pep talk.  Came back to him in the 4th for redemption TD pass.  

The guy is playing lights out right now.  

Delighted for him. We gave him nothing to work with when he was here. 

Coaching and time/perspective really matter. 

• Upvote 4

19 hours ago, Paradis said:

I know it's been sort of hokey/novelty topic around here, but he's pretty much locked up the comeback player of the year award and he just keeps making these ridiculous throws. It's ironic given our current situation, but you gotta give up for the man. He's been one of the top 5 consistent week-to-week Quarterbacks in the NFL in 2022. 

Like, have you watched Geno play this year? Insane! 

it only took him ...what? 10 years to put it together.

For a lot of reasons, including bad Kharma, Geno is not coming here. 

How many NFL QBs have gotten their stuff together after 10 years?  Gannon?  Plunkett?   You can’t bet on it, but you can keep bringing in guys like Mike White, Mariota, Winston, etc. and hope they have a revelation.

We should remember that there were early mock drafts that showed Geno going number 1 overall.  He had the talent and physical skills.

Zach could get it together one day.  It could be 10 years out.  Maybe 5.  I don’t think its 2.  I am not counting on the 5th year option.  

20 hours ago, bitonti said:

Geno Smith a Jets cast-off gets good with Pete Carroll another Jets cast-off 

There's probably a lesson in there about patience 

But then again the Jets couldn't wait 9 years for him to develop. Could they? 

Not here lol

funny thing is, while he was a NYJ, Geno’s reaction to pressure was to…run backwards. Same as Zach. 

let’s hope Zach doesn’t take 9 yrs to figure out that running backwards is a loser. You can’t look downfield running backwards

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, greenwave81 said:

Not here lol

funny thing is, while he was a NYJ, Geno’s reaction to pressure was to…run backwards. Same as Zach. 

let’s hope Zach doesn’t take 9 yrs to figure out that running backwards is a loser. You can’t look downfield running backwards

That's the sort of timeline Zach is on... The rich Gannon schedule. I just wonder if it's even possible for any team to stick with a guy that long 

Like keep giving him one year extensions lol 

Just now, bitonti said:

That's the sort of timeline Zach is on... The rich Gannon schedule. I just wonder if it's even possible for any team to stick with a guy that long 

Like keep giving him one year extensions lol 

sh*t…the Jets must have countless hours of tape on Geno when he was here…running backwards and failing. Now they have tape of Geno NOT doing that and succeeding. 

id do the Clockwork Orange treatment with Zach and stick toothpicks in his eyelids to keep them open and show repetitive clips of QBs running backwards to bad outcomes. Make it repulsive to him as it’s not the answer in the NFL. Maybe in the WAC or whatever conference he came from, but not the NFL.  

if you can’t or won’t keep your eyes downfield in the NFL all is lost. Zach has the arm talent to make off platform throws etc, but if he keeps running backwards for his life the opportunity to make those throws in the NFL is small…too small. Even for QBs like Rodgers. 

• Upvote 2

8 minutes ago, greenwave81 said:

sh*t…the Jets must have countless hours of tape on Geno when he was here…running backwards and failing. Now they have tape of Geno NOT doing that and succeeding. 

id do the Clockwork Orange treatment with Zach and stick toothpicks in his eyelids to keep them open and show repetitive clips of QBs running backwards to bad outcomes. Make it repulsive to him as it’s not the answer in the NFL. Maybe in the WAC or whatever conference he came from, but not the NFL.  

if you can’t or won’t keep your eyes downfield in the NFL all is lost. Zach has the arm talent to make off platform throws etc, but if he keeps running backwards for his life the opportunity to make those throws in the NFL is small…too small. Even for QBs like Rodgers. 

Similar thought I'd make him watch Chad film 

Pennington had like a quarter of Zach arm strength and had to make extra quick decisions to compensate for his noodle arm

His biggest issue is that he's not seeing the field. 

9 hours ago, BallinPB said:

I've been watching Geno this year.  It's crazy to see how good he is playing.  He's not just playing good actually, he's playing on the level of Mahomes and Allen.  

He could've easily had 300 yards with 4 TDS yesterday if it wasn't for key drops.  I mean Lockett was wide open for a walk-in 40 yard TD and he just dropped it.  

Moreover, some of the passes Geno is making is elite level QB throws.  He's not waiting for the WR to break before he throws it perfectly to where it needs to be.  He's dropping dimes in tight coverage.  Throwing balls super well on the move.  

He's also matured into a leader.  After that Lockett drop you saw Geno on the sideline giving him a pep talk.  Came back to him in the 4th for redemption TD pass.  

The guy is playing lights out right now.  

It’s actually unbelievable how good he’s been. No comparative comes to mind. Sure, there’s a few tales of players like Alex Smith thriving in a better system but nothing comes to mind that mirrors this Geno the rising phoenix Smith. I keep shaking my head watching him make this throws. Like what the hell?? Lol 

• Upvote 3

2 minutes ago, bitonti said:

Pennington had like a quarter of Zach arm strength and had to make extra quick decisions to compensate for his noodle arm

I agree. It’s hard to see the field when you have your back to it. 

off platform throws can work, Rodgers has made a career of them, when you’re sliding around the pocket with your eyes downfield. 

but I can’t think of anyone who’s made a career of making off platform throws running backwards 10-15 yds behind the LOS and then finally turning around after like 10 sec of scrambling and hoping to find the ‘open’ receiver. Zach needs to learn to slide and move up in the pocket..and if the play isn’t there, then throw it away or eat it. He’s got to be willing to stick in there, and he hasnt shown that yet to any degree

1 hour ago, Paradis said:

It’s actually unbelievable how good he’s been. No comparative comes to mind. Sure, there’s a few tales of players like Alex Smith thriving in a better system but nothing comes to mind that mirrors this Geno the rising phoenix Smith. I keep shaking my head watching him make this throws. Like what the hell?? Lol 

Being punched in the face humbled him.  Learning behind Manning, Rivers and Wilson also did wonders for him.  

The biggest thing I can think of is confidence in himself.  It takes a lot of confidence and trust in your receivers to make some of those throws. 

His film study must be off the charts and attention to the little things.  

I watched a video where it highlighted that Geno makes the same motion on every handoff and play action play.  Showed one play where he handed it off but the lineman bit hard on the play action which left a wide open lane for the back.  

This type of play is sustainable and I don’t think I’ve ever seen a career resurgence to this level before.  

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 2

On 10/31/2022 at 10:10 PM, bitonti said:

Chad had an elite o line 

Our o line allows a free rusher every other set of downs 

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1
  • More Ugh 1

On 10/31/2022 at 1:05 AM, Paradis said:

we all did, dude. In the past he's flashed for a few quarters, even a couple games... but we all assumed  it would catch up with him in hollywood fashion, but instead its been the opposite. He's been the same guy, every week. Smart, smooth and effective. 

You two should get a room.

Chad had an elite o line 
Our o line allows a free rusher every other set of downs 
Our OLine looks less sh*tty than it actually is because Zach is elusive ... Zach should take the sacks just to shut the OL believers up.

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

• Upvote 2

Geno always had the talent, but it was never going to work out with the Jets.

He played too early, when he was thrown in at the deep end after Rex decided to go win the Snoopy Bowl and got Sanchez injured. Of course, he struggled as he was immature and needed development, despite his obvious talent as an athlete and his passing ability.

It's taken him a long time to come back, but he's earned it and is playing at an extremely high level now.  Good for him.

On 10/31/2022 at 12:51 AM, Paradis said:

I know it's been sort of hokey/novelty topic around here, but he's pretty much locked up the comeback player of the year award and he just keeps making these ridiculous throws. It's ironic given our current situation, but you gotta give up for the man. He's been one of the top 5 consistent week-to-week Quarterbacks in the NFL in 2022. 

Like, have you watched Geno play this year? Insane! 

F Geno.  Anyone can put up stats with Lockett and Metcalf.  How about that Baker Mayfield?  Now that guy is a star