Zach Wilson is just fine, he's right where he should be, this fanbase has lost their minds!

JetsRay

I think what bothers me the most about Zach Wilson is his accuracy. A few years ago I remember when we passed on Josh Allen (even though he had prototype size and arm strength), but the experts said he had a problem with his accuracy and we wanted to draft and accurate QB so we choose Sam Darnold who turned out to be not very accurate.

Sam Darnold-4 yr period: 54 TD, 52 INT
Josh Allen-same 4 yr period: 103 TD, 46 INT

What I find to be really strange is why LaFleur doesn’t have Wilson focus on his short passing game (which is what most teams have their young QB’s do) and just have him try to pick up 5 or so yds at a time. If Wilson could successfully do that and combine it with our running game who usually can pick up 2 to 4 yds a carry we could move the ball down the field consistently and not have so many 3 and outs.

The problem is Wilson’s short passing game is where he is the most inconsistent and that was no better evidenced than yesterday when he couldn’t even throw the ball accurately out of bounds and had it intercepted. Just stop and think about that interception for a moment and ask yourself what level of accuracy does it takes to throw the ball out of bounds? What really scares me about Zach Wilson is if he can’t accurately throw the ball out of bounds . . . how is he going to accurately throw the ball in bounds?

• Upvote 1

53 minutes ago, bostonmajet said:

He may turn out to suck, but people were saying the same thing about Geno - these QBs are very immature and will have up and down stretches. So, you may indeed be right, but it is a bit early to know for sure. Also, any hope of this team going to the players most likely requires ZW to turn it around as the money/draft capital necessary to replace ZW may prevent the Jets from getting better in some areas. We also are propping up the team with expensive vets which should be replaced with cheaper draft picks that we will have to give up to replace him. 

Are you willing to wait 8-10 years for Zach Wilson to possibly be as good as Geno is now? Lol. Kudos to Geno, but it took him 8-10 years to finally show this and it usually doesn't happen. 

8 minutes ago, 56mehl56 said:

problem is he was often flushed from the pocket due to poor protection. It's extremely hard to scan the field when you are running for your life and backwards.

Can he run forward? Who knows, maybe he gets a flag or two on a late hit, like Jones did. Keep the drive alive.

1 hour ago, munchmemory said:

Zach hit McCourtey twice like he was trying to throw it to him.   The head scratcher is that all Wilson needed to do was step out of bounds or dump the ball.  His decision making and processing of where to put the ball does not look good.

While I agree he needs to make smarter choices , at least 2 if not all 3 of the picks came on 3rd down. If he throws it away or steps out of bounds fans would be saying he sucks because he didn't even try.  

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Lurker89 said:

Going to attempt rational conversation with you ?

I haven't written Zach off yet, I love what I've seen in the flashes, yet some of the issues are just baffling at this point though.

3rd&5, wide open 5 yard out, and his misses the layup. Plays like that multiple times a game.

On the throw away pick...  ****ing up a throw away that bad was inexcusable.

He needs to clean that **** up, that should not be an issue at this level. I love the ceiling but a lot of fans just want competancy with the production.

I'm not going to let the other busts make me overly impatient with him though.

I certainly missed CD yesterday... GW showed his pedigree and promise ...Moore is dead to me. I liked the moxie Mims showed. I thought Conklin would be our TE1 coming into the season and he has proven a reliable TE now that he seems to have his ball protection under control.

The hot streak raised peoples expectations too much. This season was and still is about evaluating Zach and getting him further experience. Hoping he keeps growing and merges his mistake free play with his upside.

Go JETS.

He needs to clean up the erratic misses, there is not doubt about that. that cost him the first pick, which again was a good play by Wilson identifying the correct receiver. I am not concerned about the throw away int, yes it was a horrible mistake, but it is easily correctable (he had multiple in the stands throw aways a after that). 

• Upvote 1
  • More Ugh 1

1 minute ago, 56mehl56 said:

While I agree he needs to make smarter choices , at least 2 if not all 3 of the picks came on 3rd down. If he throws it away or steps out of bounds fans would be saying he sucks because he didn't even try.  

He's the primary reason the offense is always in 3rd and long situations.

It’s pretty simple. This is a playoff team with passable QB play.

The team is good.  Zach Wilson is not.

The arguments that the team is 4-1 with Zach highlight how much Zach is holding the team back more than anything. That we have won four of the last five with poor QB play is astonishing.

This offense has frequently featured no name QBs (as long as they’re mobile) like Nick Mullens looking passable. It’s given guys like Jake Plummer the best years of their careers.

Zach gave the game away yesterday — when Darnold and Geno were suiting up for awful teams there was the built in excuse that the team was bad. This team ain’t bad. This is closer to Sanchez in ‘09. He is the problem.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, JetsRay said:

STOP THE BS Jets fans, this is a 2nd year QB, he's played 18 total games..

Joe borrow in his second year took his team to a Super Bowl on less talented team. The difference? He was the reason CIN was winning games. Zach is the reason we’re losing games.

if you think Zach just needs “more time” in 2022, go kick rocks.  His issues go beyond patience  

• Upvote 2

Here's my analysis:

We lost this game because of Zach, our back breaking penalties, an lack of run game.

- the 2nd INT was really brutal, gotta make sure that gets out of bounds. I'll be honest, the first 2 picks were not bad decisions, just bad throws. The 3rd one was horrible decision.

- Roughing/unnecessary roughness - JFM penalty that negated pick 6 and Mosley 3rd and 5 penalties crushed us. JFM was clearly bad, the Mosley one was BS, mac was a runner who put hit helmet down.

- Patriots gave up 250 yards on the ground last week, how do you only run the ball 14 times. Right side of our OL is really bad  go out and get Conklin or Tunsil

• Upvote 2

38 minutes ago, Joe W. Namath said:

Sure.  And you think promoteing mike white and elevating streveler is pure coincidence right?

Zach gets 2 quarters vs the bills and if there is no improvement, he is getting pulled.

Maybe Flacco has an active roster bonus clause ?. Seriously , I highly doubt Zach will be benched in favor of the immobile White - have you seen our pass protection ? 

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Alentador31 said:

This man literally said he's bored with throwing the ball away and frustrated that he doesn't see receivers open when he scrambles......even though we KNOW there are open receivers. 

Exactly. I’ll give him the GB game because receivers weren’t getting open. In Denver, he missed throwing to and also seeing open receivers. On one of his bad decision interceptions, if he threw the ball to the open receiver streaking across the middle of the field instead of scrambling he could have had the first down.

Also, almost all of his bad throws happens when he doesn’t set his feet usually throwing off his back foot. I would have hoped to see improvement in his footwork by now. 

17 minutes ago, oatmeal said:

What was the Connor preseason quote about mims? Something about “He rubbed coaches the wrong way with his cavalier attitude”

Oh like this dude :

Don’t hate him because he’s pretty. I know you want a bearded Jersey tough guy but Zach plays for NYC. Glam and we like it.

• Haha 2

44 minutes ago, elvispookie said:

I cant state this enough.. he is terrified out there.  Zach plays like you and I would if the Jets called us to Florham Park today.  Sure, it would be cool, but by Sunday we would sh*t our pants.  He knows he is allusive, he can get away, so for fear of actually dying, thats what he does.  He almost NEVER steps up in the pocket.  He does one read and is gone - even in clean pockets!  But it doesnt stop there - oh no - when he is gone, he runs backwards (away from everyone).  Guess what happens when you run the other way? You turn your head and can't see where everyone is!  Pure logic.  By the time you turn around, all your reads are gone.. people are nowhere where they need to be and they are running around, unscripted, trying to get open. 

This is what Bart Scott was trying to tell you guys last year after the Titans game.  Everyone got on him back then for being sour after a great Jet win, but guess what? He was right.  And Zach is STILL doing the exact same thing.   

So please, watch the game like I do, realize Zach is terrified out there and ALL your questions of why he does what he does will be answered.

Watch the game like you do?  You act like you're the head of player personnel, when you really know nothing more than the rest of us.  Here's another thought.  Perhaps he's confused and not terrified?  He's already proven he's not afraid of getting hit.  Maybe the game hasn't slowed down for him yet.  Maybe he hasn't yet learned the ability of the defenses he's playing against, which is causing him to make bad decisions. 

The only cure is experience.  He's either gonna learn and become a franchise QB, or he's not.  The fact remains the Jets are invested in him, and they won't be pulling the plug anytime soon.  They're waiting, just like the rest of us, to see how this plays out.  How long?  My guess is ZW is playing every game this season.  So, you might as well stop whining and complaining about the guy and start pulling for him instead.  

30 minutes ago, 56mehl56 said:

I was at the game too and when he stepped up in the pocket he was fine , problem is he was often flushed from the pocket due to poor protection. It's extremely hard to scan the field when you are running for your life and backwards. Every QB in the league will miss seeing wide open Wr's at times , but that % goes way up when they are constantly under pressure. 

My main problem with him is that he's been still throwing way too much off his back foot , plant the feet and take a hit , in addition he needs to turn some of those plays into 5-10 yard gains by running and not trying to keep evading pressure 10 yards beyond teh LOS.

And that seems to be the question - does he bail the pocket too soon and start going backwards?

when he is getting that pressure, could he step up and make a throw vs helter skelter. 

im no coach and many on here are far smarter than me, but it just seems his first instinct is to go backwards and while you can make the argument he is still young and learning etc. are we seeing improvement?

22 minutes ago, Coquito said:

Can he run forward? Who knows, maybe he gets a flag or two on a late hit, like Jones did. Keep the drive alive.

Did you even bother to the read my entire post  I said this - My main problem with him is that he's been still throwing way too much off his back foot , plant the feet and take a hit , in addition he needs to turn some of those plays into 5-10 yard gains by running and not trying to keep evading pressure 10 yards beyond teh LOS.

6 minutes ago, SuicidalSince98 said:

He needs to clean up the erratic misses, there is not doubt about that. that cost him the first pick, which again was a good play by Wilson identifying the correct receiver. I am not concerned about the throw away int, yes it was a horrible mistake, but it is easily correctable (he had multiple in the stands throw aways a after that). 

The throw away int was just that a throw away mistake. The problem is that it happened against the worst possible opponent and much of this traumatized fanbase cant take it.

Ugly game we beat ourselves.

• Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, Paradis said:

Joe borrow in his second year took his team to a Super Bowl on less talented team. The difference? He was the reason CIN was winning games. Zach is the reason we’re losing games.

if you think Zach just needs “more time” in 2022, go kick rocks.  His issues go beyond patience  

There's only so many Burrow's, Allens , Mahomes on this planet - stop comparing Wilson to them and just hope he becomes a competent franchise QB.

Just now, Green Ghost said:

I have absolutely no confidence in Wilson, but I agree with you about needing to keep sending him out there.

I don’t know if it will take the entire season, but the Jets need to make a decision one way or the other about him, and stick to it one way or the other.
If they truly believe in him, they have to bite the bullet and accept the frustration of watching him round into the QB they feel is inside of him. 
If they “aren’t sure who he is”, they need to err on the side of continuity and continue sending him out there until they know.

This isn’t Wilson’s rookie season, it’s past the time where you sit him for a game or two and hope the light comes on for him then put him back in. IMO if they make a change now, they’re basically saying we give up on the kid, and as much as I think that’s the proper decision, I’m a frustrated fan, I’m not thinking big picture. (I’m trying very hard though with this post)

The smart move is what you said… keep sending him out there until you know for sure what and who he is, then you can either cut bait or move forward.

And how is that fair to the rest of the team? It'd likely be one thing if the playoffs wasn't a realistic option and their record was bad, but that ain't the case. 

24 minutes ago, Paradis said:

Joe burrow threw 14 picks and had 4 games with 2 or more INTs. This was a very Joe burrow game by Wilson. 

• More Ugh 1

Here’s the elephant in the room.

The last few weeks the Jets got by against an assortment of lousy QBs and bad teams by hiding their QB and relying on a stud RB and a near dominant defense and special teams.

Once the RB got hurt, Wilson needed to become the focal point of this offense, and nobody, with the exception of a very few, believed he was capable of doing that.

Although I think our playoff chances vanished when Breece went down, the very small silver lining to it is that we will find out for sure now about Wilson. He’s at a crossroad here. This is when he gets to show us all who he is.

Just now, SuicidalSince98 said:

Joe burrow threw 14 picks and had 4 games with 2 or more INTs. This was a very Joe burrow game by Wilson. 

That's actually a pretty fair point , Burrow is a gunslinger and will probably always end up with double digit picks . People want Zach to be a gunslinger but can't live with consequences.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, SuicidalSince98 said:

Burrow was so far ahead of Wilson, it’s laughable. He’s not seeing the fields, it’s much bigger deeper issue that being over confident like Burrow was