Zach Wilson is just fine, he's right where he should be, this fanbase has lost their minds!

JetsRay

2 hours ago, JetsRay said:

Nothing about that game yesterday about "ghosts" and what we saw with Darnold a few years ago was even remotely the same.

Zach looked to be completely in command and hit on all of his reads pretty well. Again, the INT's were the only miscues....

image.png

• Haha 3

29 minutes ago, BallinPB said:

They are incredibly correctable yet still hasn't been corrected.  It's not like he wasn't doing this last year.  Why hasn't it been corrected?  

I'm not encouraged by his one game throwing for 355 and it was still terrible.  I am impressed that he threw for 355 while completing less than 50% of his passes.  That takes skill.  I'm not sure if it's a good skill however.  

He hasn’t turned the ball over in 9 games. You are taking one 3 int performance and assuming he will do that every week. 

• More Ugh 1

Agree with the over reaction.  Zach made some great throws.  He had 2 INT's where he was way to casual with the ball and his sense of timing of when he has to get the ball out is nonexistent.  

If JFM doesn't have that incredibly stupid penalty we go in to the half up 17 to 3.  Completely different game.

The TOP a result of Zach, a poor running game and Lefleur's play calling not being able to extend drives killed the D.  Despite that the D never gave up.  Great effort by the D.

Zach is a project.  He's still a great prospect.  I would not give up on him at this point.  He's a good athlete and he has good arm talent and makes plenty of good throws.  He's pocket awareness and sense of when to pull the trigger doesn't exist on a basic level yet.  Sometimes you got to plant and throw and stop waiting.  I don't know if that's partly Lefleur's fault or it's all on Zach?   

Think that game is completely different if JFM doesn't do stupid on the biggest play of the game.  

I don't think this team with the current OL and running backs can win with a backup QB.  It's worth staying with Zach at this point and seeing if he develops a better feel for when to get the ball out. 

• Post of the Week 2

2 hours ago, bostonmajet said:

I think you are making the OPs point. Russell and Rosen were busts from day one. While Zack has NOT looked good recently, he did play well enough to come back from a deficit twice this year. Much blame has to go to LaFleur as he is trying to fit ZW into a game manager role, and ZW only really looks comfortable in the 4th Q from behind when he gets to be more himself.

Not saying ZW is not going to bust, but 18 games in after loosing best OL and best weapon, is probably a bit early. Look at Geno (not saying we should wait 8 years at all).

7C662942-BA76-4077-A6E2-67DDD8B5EC0A.thumb.jpeg.b58d4694f35b996bdb2a3a5748818740.jpeg

And FYI Geno was 10x better as a Jet even with a horrific supporting cast.

You’re seeing a QB who never had to face pressure in college melt when he sees pressure now. Outside of more live reps in practice or  actually playing in the  preseason, it’s hard to justifiably ply him right now in games that matter. He’s clearly not ready. You can make the switch and see how he responds, then give him an opportunity to win the job back next preseason. 

• Upvote 3

3 minutes ago, Biggs said:

Agree with the over reaction.  Zach made some great throws.  He had 2 INT's where he was way to casual with the ball and his sense of timing of when he has to get the ball out is nonexistent.  

If JFM doesn't have that incredibly stupid penalty we go in to the half up 17 to 3.  Completely different game.

The TOP a result of Zach, a poor running game and Lefleur's play calling not being able to extend drives killed the D.  Despite that the D never gave up.  Great effort by the D.

Zach is a project.  He's still a great prospect.  I would not give up on him at this point.  He's a good athlete and he has good arm talent and makes plenty of good throws.  He's pocket awareness and sense of when to pull the trigger doesn't exist on a basic level yet.  Sometimes you got to plant and throw and stop waiting.  I don't know if that's partly Lefleur's fault or it's all on Zach?   

Think that game is completely different if JFM doesn't do stupid on the biggest play of the game.  

I don't think this team with the current OL and running backs can win with a backup QB.  It's worth staying with Zach at this point and seeing if he develops a better feel for when to get the ball out. 

image.png.29e1e2c3c32c00108f88b25b81820789.png

• Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, JetsRay said:

Darnold never threw for 350 yds, and the games were always blowouts.

If not for a stupid penalty on JFM which by all accounts was a BS penalty that should have never been called, the Jets are up 17-3 at half time and we probably win this game.

Those events changed the dynamic of the game.

The Darnold Jets were an embarrassment, this was Zach's second game against Belichick.

There is no comparison!

Yes, I agree that the roughing the passer play was the turning point of the game but that doesn't take away from the poor play of Wilson. I'm was talking about how so many people were high on Darnold after he continued to do the same stupid things over and over and thought he would get better with experience. The same thing will happen with Wilson. He will not be this teams starting QB next year and may be benched this year. He has made zero progress IMO and is not an NFL QB. He is just incapable of processing things downfield that make an NFL QB successful. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, JetsRay said:

Zach Wilson is a 2nd year QB, still developing, still learning, and is right where he needs to be.

The knee jerk reactions are so over the top ridiculous I feel like this place is being infiltrated with 3rd graders. This fan base is an embarrassment, and many of you should be ashamed.

While the INT's sucked, there was a ton of good that we can take from this game and Zach's performance.

Last week it was "OMG he only threw for 120 yds," this week he throws for 350, exactly as anybody with any logic or reason would suspect with Breece Hall gone and the team having to rely on the pass, and he did a lot of good things, but that isn' enough for our arm chair scouts.

Two of the INT's were Zach trying to do too much, trying to salvage the drive, they were 3rd and long throws, and they sailed on him, both of those plays are plays he's both going to make someday, and learn to not throw them. He'll work on mechanics, it is fixable. The 3rd INT when he was trying to get rid of the ball, he didn't get it far enough out of bounds, also fixable, he knew it right away and the rest of the game you saw him correct that.

He moved the ball, made great throws, the first TD to Conklin was an amazing throw. Our running game was not running on all cylinders just yet with JRob playing in his first game on a limited pitch count because he's had 3 days of practice in our system.

STOP THE BS Jets fans, this is a 2nd year QB, he's played 18 total games.

We are still 5-3, we still have a season, the Pats and Belichick have always been a team that knows how to attack a defense and make QB's look bad. Have some ******* patience.

I was at the game and much of what you say is right.  You are pretty tough on the fans.

Fact:  When he is given time, his mechanics are better and he plays better.  We saw that in many good throws.  The skill is there to slice up any defense.  His QBR when not under pressure, I read, was 89.6.  

Fact:  When he is pressured, he is out of control.  He consistently misses open options downfield.  His mechanic go to hell.  He throws off balance.  He throws across his body.  His footwork is terrible.  his QB rating is miserable.

Fact:  While there are many signs of his potential, his performance to this point has been outright disappointing.  If someone told you that the second pick in the draft, after 5 starts in his 2nd year had 3 TD passes, was 24th in QBR and 34th in completion percentage, would you be happy? 

These issues showed up day 1 and there has been little sign of improvement.  How long does it take for a QB to learn not to throw off his back foot, across his body?  It is widely acknowledged that he does not avoid the rush with his twists, but simply avoids the sack.  Almost never is there a positive outcome despite film that show open options missed on many occasions.

So I agree with your assertion that he does good things.  Part of the solution is to give him some protection so he is not under so much pressure.  However, the troubling part is the league knows if they get pressure on him, he will make mistakes and almost never deliver a positive result for his team.  Any functional QB has to recognize the blitz and know where his options are.  They all seem to.  At this point, the blitz is nearly 100% effective in shutting down Zach.

The league will do what Belicheck did.  They will take away the running game and challenge Zach to win the game.  They will blitz and take chances in coverage to deliver pressure.  Until Zach burns them, he will see that every week from here out. 

Funny thing is, when Zach finally develops. we have the defense, special teams and offensive weapons to be a legit playoff team.

Want a positive note?  A month ago, the defense was disgraceful, the offense was sluggish and the special teams pedestrian.  All of a sudden. the pass rush appeared and the special teams stopped getting stupid penalties and showed solid coverage, even blocking a punt and a field goal.  It seems they are building something that is closer than many think.   The stark improvement in all other areas has shined the light on Zach.  Maybe he will do the same soon.

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1

3 minutes ago, Biggs said:

That's extremely concerning BIGGS! It's basic QB'ing. Not some advanced stuff. He's not seeing the field and not reading fast enough. 

We all know he can make some good throws. Doesn't matter when if you fold under the slightest pressure. Thats like 80% of the game, is being pressured by the defense. You have to stop and hit the throws. Thus far he's been completely incapable. Not even 40-50%, just down right awful.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, SuicidalSince98 said:

I agree it is completely bizarre

This was Wilson’s best game 

one int was a good read where he overthrew a 2 yard pass 

another int was him throwing a ball away not enough out of bounds 

the third one was dumb, but it was him trying to make something happen on third and long down two scores

Extremely easily correctable stuff, from a guy who proved the last nine games that he doesn’t turn the ball over 

Darnold used up this fanbases patience to develop a qb, it’s like they consider it all one single development lol 

What game were you watching???

• Haha 2

9 minutes ago, Biggs said:

Pretty much this, even better said.
I chuckle at the clowns labeling anybody that doesn't jump on the "Zach is the worst QB ever" bandwagon are fanboys.

No, maybe we are more realistic.

Giving up after one year and 5 game is stupid on every level, and Zach has really only played a single full season of NFL games due to injury.

It is far too early to give up and write him off.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Zachtomims47 said:

That's extremely concerning BIGGS! It's basic QB'ing. Not some advanced stuff. He's not seeing the field and not reading fast enough. 

We all know he can make some good throws. Doesn't matter when if you fold under the slightest pressure. Thats like 80% of the game, is being pressured by the defense. You have to stop and hit the throws. Thus far he's been completely incapable. Not even 40-50%, just down right awful.

Didn't say it's not concerning.  We took a project from a small school with a plus athletic and throwing ability with good study habits.  I always thought getting a defensive CO to be the head coach with an OC without a very solid resume to run the O with a new QB was extremely concerning. 

It may be concerning but the alternative of veteran or back up NFL QB as the answer is absurd. 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Facts said:

That it was his best game.

That any of those INT’s were explainable 

That he doesn’t suck 

Who said it was his best game?

All 3 of the INT's are easily explainable and all 3 are easily fixable. They weren't of the type where Zach made a bad read, didn't see a defender, etc.

Your last comment makes you a 4th grader maybe...

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Biggs said:

A

The TOP a result of Zach, a poor running game and Lefleur's play calling not being able to extend drives killed the D.  

There were at least ten offensive plays I thought they could have called a running play but didn't, and Zach got zero yards, or lost yardage thus negating an opportunity to call a running play. I know James Robinson just got here, but come on. You see Zach is struggling, going three and out. CALL SOME RUNNING PLAYS. I'd rather go 3 and out trying to run the ball than Zach throwing on 3rd and 9 (which becomes 3 and 25 when he rolls right and runs backwards for 16 yards). Running the ball > passing when your not going to move the chains, anyway. If your going to make your defense retake the field, at least give them decent field position. Instead, Zach turns it over and a play later the Pats are already in FG range.

• Upvote 2

Just now, JetsRay said:

Uh, the person I quoted…

Just now, JetsRay said:

All 3 of the INT's are easily explainable and all 3 are easily fixable. They weren't of the type where Zach made a bad read, didn't see a defender, etc.

Bullsh*t.

You aren’t making a duck into a penguin.

Throwing into quadruple coverage is high school level stuff.

Just now, JetsRay said:

A 4th grader who can tell the Qb sucks.

• Haha 3

4 minutes ago, JetsRay said:

All 3 of the INT's are easily explainable and all 3 are easily fixable.

The first INT was classic Zach. What should have been an simple dump, he chucked the ball 6 feet over James Robinson's head. He might not get intercepted all of the time, but he does this alot. This is bread and butter, NFL QB stuff 101.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, fullblast said:

At what stage of the development curve does he learn to step up in the pocket?

This is my biggest worry with him, and the reason I’m ultimately giving up hope. If you can’t step up in the pocket you’ll never be anything to talk about in the NFL. And it’s blatantly Obvious ZW can’t climb the pocket. 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Supersonic said:

Watch the game like you do?  You act like you're the head of player personnel, when you really know nothing more than the rest of us.  Here's another thought.  Perhaps he's confused and not terrified?  He's already proven he's not afraid of getting hit.  Maybe the game hasn't slowed down for him yet.  Maybe he hasn't yet learned the ability of the defenses he's playing against, which is causing him to make bad decisions. 

The only cure is experience.  He's either gonna learn and become a franchise QB, or he's not.  The fact remains the Jets are invested in him, and they won't be pulling the plug anytime soon.  They're waiting, just like the rest of us, to see how this plays out.  How long?  My guess is ZW is playing every game this season.  So, you might as well stop whining and complaining about the guy and start pulling for him instead.  

Love the internet.   Waaah my opinion is the only one... waaaah.  Grow up.  I simply gave my opinion.. you  dont agree with it.  I was SHOCKED.. I mean SHOCKED that you call me out for not knowing more than the rest... yet you go right ahead and give... checks notes... oh right, YOUR opinion.  See how this works? 

But also understand, there is something called nuance.. criticism... and guess what? you can STILL root for your team and offer criticism.  The world has lost that.. everything is black or white.. nothing in between.  So guess what? You can criticize awful QB play and STILL be a JET fan.  Can you believe that? 

NOT saying the sky is falling doesnt make you any better than the rest of us.  You're just choosing to pretend Zach is good.  You'll get over it. 

• Upvote 2

10 minutes ago, JetsRay said:

First off, you should  lighten up on the personal attacks. they aren't  tolerated here. The guy that said it was his best game is @SuicidalSince98.  

Look, if you want to express your opinion, you go and do that. Right now Wilson has not shown any improvement  over last season and is near dead last in the league at his position. He is making the same stupid mistakes, throwing off his back foot, throwing off platform across his body, and making the same stupid move to escape a sack that normally turns into a negative play. This is what everyone else sees. All of it is correctable but for whatever reason, he hasn't. Those are facts, not hope. 

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, CanadienJetsFan said:

The only way we find out IF  he could improve is if he continues playing.

unless he’s injured, he plays

Panic is setting in and I don’t understand why. 

Because we have a winning record.  He jeopardizes that.  He had his time to prove himself.

He failed.

Get a QB who is just decent.  We have 2 more options we haven't tried this year.

It's frustrating.

• Upvote 4