Next years QB options

Mario

Next years QB options   

83 members have voted

1. 1. What do you want Joe Douglas to do at QB?

• Sign Jimmy Garrappolo for $25MM
    • Sign Daniel Jones for $20MM
    • Sign Geno Smith for $25MM
    • Trade next two firsts and a third for Aaron Rodgers
    • Sign Andy Dalton for $10MM to compete with Zach
    • Sign Jameis Winston for $10MM to compete with Zach
    • Sign Cooper Rush for $10MM to compete with Zach
    • Roll with Zach Wilson as unquestioned starter
    • Draft a 1st round QB to compete with Zach
    • Open competition between Zach Wilson, Mike White, and Chris Steveler
    • Sign Minshew for $8MM to compete with Zach
    • Outbid the Ravens for Lamar (blank check)

5 minutes ago, PorP said:

I think the same.  Not sure if you were following the 9'ers preseason?  But they were all in on Lance and what prompted the Jimmy trade talks... until Jimmy restructed his contract and Lance went down that is. 

And Jimmy is again leading them to wins. They’d be foolish to let him walk out the door

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

I think people looking for Lamar Jackson are forgetting how much alteration the offense will take for that.  I don't want to run a Greg Roman offense.  I think this team is building something.  They started from scratch and when you do that, you don't have to make concessions to fit styles. Based on that, I don't fold to dudes like Elijah Moore and I don't pay a ton of money to guys that force a complete offensive revamp.

10 minutes ago, Zachtomims47 said:

For people who are saying someone like Minshew...are you signing him and think he can take us deep in to the playoffs? Or to just stay afloat until you find the real deal?

We're signing him because he has a 41:12 TD:INT ratio over his career.  Whatever he becomes is irrelevant.  Right now, at this moment, he'd be the best QB on the roster and it wouldn't be close.  

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, PS17 said:

This is gross. The goal is to win a super bowl not go 9-8 at best.

I don’t think there’s a QB available who’ll come in and make us SB favorites. Honestly the best bet is hopefully Zach just develops into a capable guy. Otherwise you’re looking at the likes of Baker, Dalton, or Sam as possibilities for next year 

• Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, Zachtomims47 said:

For people who are saying someone like Minshew...are you signing him and think he can take us deep in to the playoffs? Or to just stay afloat until you find the real deal?

Jet fans are obsessed with having 2015 seasons. 

Been thinking about these options.  Jimmy G gives us respectability IMO.  Jackson is exciting, but requires a change in offensive philosophy.  Minshew seems like a decent bargain, but at first thought, I don't know if guys like him or Dalton move the needle much compared to Flacco and White.  I thought about it some more and remembered what this team is all about.  A team with Michael Carters I and II, Breece Bryce Hall, Garrett and Zach WIlson, absolutely needs Sauce Gardner Minshew!  

• Haha 1

I don't get the Jimmy G hate here.

He was a crazy Patrick Mahomes completion away from a Superbowl ring a few years ago and a dropped INT by one of the SF DBs away from going to another superbowl last year.

He would instantly be the best QB we've had here since Favre's early to mid 2009 season.

He's never going to be an "elite" QB but considering most of us would kill for just average QB play, he'd be a godsend here.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, IndianaJet said:

I don't get the Jimmy G hate here.

He was a crazy Patrick Mahomes completion away from a Superbowl ring a few years ago and a dropped INT by one of the SF DBs away from going to another superbowl last year.

He would instantly be the best QB we've had here since Favre's early to mid 2009 season.

He's never going to be an "elite" QB but considering most of us would kill for just average QB play, he'd be a godsend here.

Na he would obviously be the best fit if Zach continues down this road. However, SF would be foolish to let him walk when they are currently Super Bowl contenders

42 minutes ago, Rhg1084 said:

Wait why is SF getting rid of Jimmy G? 

They made an outrageous trade last year giving up multiple high picks to draft Lance, when they probably could have stayed put and got him where they were.

If Lynch sticks with Jimmy G next year, he's basically admitting he's made a major major mistake.

I think the most realistic and best option for us is signing a quality veteran, while still swinging at a prospect high in the draft. 

Do what KC did with Smith and Mahomes. A good veteran that can ensure you're not wasting your talent, while you're allocated the time to properly develop a QB without throwing him into the fire week one of the rookie season like we always do. 

Sign Jimmy G, and start pooling together picks to ultimately make a run at a top prospect in the future. However someone like Jimmy G is not our permanent answer. 

• Post of the Week 1

1 hour ago, Rangers9 said:

I like the Minshew option. Not sure he would be available although Jets are a good opportunity to compete for starting job. Look you can’t keep drafting high and losing faith in draftee and getting rid of them before they actually had a chance to develop. But there has to be competition not just rolling with the player as the starter no matter what. We’ve seen that for years here. There are holes in Zach’s game and he’s been unable to consistently move the offense. But I wouldn’t get rid of him so fast. 

This is what's bothering me about the QB discussion...

If the guy is the worst QB in the league (or near enough that it doesn't matter), what's his ceiling? How much 'growth' can we get out of him? How much time does he get? Darnold had 3 seasons. I'm not sure there was much growth. We didn't 'get rid of him before he could develop'. The team had seen enough. Same thing with Sanchez... Same thing with Geno (took him 10 years to become a competent starter, and he's on fire now).

What are we expecting out of Zach? I wouldn't be surprised if he got 3 seasons, but at this point, I have a hard time imagining this will be more positive than the Darnold route though...

We've been through so many of these "you've got to be patient" scenarios, with no results at the end... What's expected from a fanbase that has been 'waiting' for 20 years? It may not be fair to Zach, he didn't cause the situation, but this is where we're at.

10 minutes ago, Rhg1084 said:

I don’t think there’s a QB available who’ll come in and make us SB favorites. Honestly the best bet is hopefully Zach just develops into a capable guy. Otherwise you’re looking at the likes of Baker, Dalton, or Sam as possibilities for next year 

There will be some big names available in the trade market. I think QB mobility is here to stay.

4 minutes ago, IndianaJet said:

They made an outrageous trade last year giving up multiple high picks to draft Lance, when they probably could have stayed put and got him where they were.

If Lynch sticks with Jimmy G next year, he's basically admitting he's made a major major mistake.

So if SF has another huge year they’re gonna double down on their Lance mistake and kick Jimmy G out the door? Don’t see it happening 

If Zack doesn't solidify his position as starter I think you got for Jimmy G easily and have a true camp competition between the 2.

If Jimmy G wins it, then so be it. Play it be ear the year after.

I think its easy to assume Jimmy G will be available after SF doesn't look to re-sign him after they sign Tom Brady.

19 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

I think people looking for Lamar Jackson are forgetting how much alteration the offense will take for that.  I don't want to run a Greg Roman offense.  I think this team is building something.  They started from scratch and when you do that, you don't have to make concessions to fit styles. Based on that, I don't fold to dudes like Elijah Moore and I don't pay a ton of money to guys that force a complete offensive revamp.

Wouldn’t Lamar be kind of a great fit with Lefluer? Rpo style with an actual threat?

It would be one of the wildest stories of all time if a 33-year-old Geno returned to the Jets and led them to a Super Bowl next year.

I think we'll have some sort of veteran competition on the roster next season if Zach doesn't show major strides to end this season. As of now, he's clearly not the answer long term. JD won't waste another year with a quarterback being such a detriment to the team. 

This is supposed to be a deep QB draft. We'll probably be able to take a QB with our first rounder if we really wanted to, but that would all but signal the end of Zach's time here. We'd have to trade him as we did with Darnold. 

2 minutes ago, Zachtomims47 said:

Wouldn’t Lamar be kind of a great fit with Lefluer? Rpo style with an actual threat?

RPO style?  How many intentional runs has Zach actually had?  Personally, I don't see these kids as delicate flowers to protect.  They aren't Rodgers or Luck.  I would let/make them run.  Not all the time, but to take advantage of the defense gives them.  Especially with a kid like Darnold that you are about to give up on.  Why keep bullets in the chamber? 

We're signing him because he has a 41:12 TD:INT ratio over his career.  Whatever he becomes is irrelevant.  Right now, at this moment, he'd be the best QB on the roster and it wouldn't be close.  
Right now, so would Sam Darnold ...

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

1 minute ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Yes, we're obsessed with entertaining football.  Sue us.  

2015 was neat for a bit, but I think we'd all find sustained success to be much more entertaining. Requires taking some shots and missing, but it's the best way to do it in this league. 

3 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

RPO style?  How many intentional runs has Zach actually had?  Personally, I don't see these kids as delicate flowers to protect.  They aren't Rodgers or Luck.  I would let/make them run.  Not all the time, but to take advantage of the defense gives them.  Especially with a kid like Darnold that you are about to give up on.  Why keep bullets in the chamber? 

Idk. Lamar is never happening so I’m not even going crazy with this lol. 

• Upvote 1

32 minutes ago, Rhg1084 said:

Jets fans are obsessed with Minshew for some reason lol

41 TD - 12 INT is very appealing to us, especially when he achieved that on a crappy JAX team. He threw for 3200 yards in 12 games started his first season

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

They ran that garbage read option in the red zone yesterday. Zach kept it and got maybe a yard. 

This "top of round 1" QB hunt is in many ways a fool's errand.  Quite a few of the league's top QB's were taken later.  Feels like the value of the position is so high it forces GMs to overdraft prospects.  A Day 2 or even Day 3 pick like Captain Morgan was the right idea.  Didn't work but I wouldn't give up on the strategy. 

1 minute ago, peekskill68 said:

This "top of round 1" QB hunt is in many ways a fool's errand.  Quite a few of the league's top QB's were taken later.  Feels like the value of the position is so high it forces GMs to overdraft prospects.  A Day 2 or even Day 3 pick like Captain Morgan was the right idea.  Didn't work but I wouldn't give up on the strategy. 

So much goes into a successful draft pick idk how anyone can say there are trends in something so random.