Yankees Offseason Thread

Barton

This team needs a mini-overhaul to say the least. Looks like Boone and Cashman are coming back, which is likely a huge mistake. 

Regardless, I'd like to see the following moves:

Donaldson - GONE

Gleyber - TRADED. terrible in the clutch. prone to boneheaded mistakes. below avg contact skills/poor situational at bats.

Stanton - TRADED. he misses 30+ games every year. cant play the outfield every day. huge strikeout numbers. in the middle of the lineup is not a recipe for success.

- Requires Hal to eat some of his contract, which he likely wont do, of course. 

Hicks - GONE

Resign Judge, sign Trey Turner to play SS. Re-sign Benintendi and Taillon. Re-sign Rizzo (but explore other gold glove type 1st baseman who dont hit .220). Sign Verlander. 

Volpe - 2nd base

Peraza - either traded or plays 3rd base/DH/rotates.

DJ LaMaheiu - moves to 3rd base/rotates at DH to keep fresh with some of the outfielders and infielders

Lineup:

Benintendi, Trey Turner, Judge, DJ LaMahieu, Rizzo, Volpe, Bader, Peraza, Severino/Higgy

Speed added. Contact skills added, higher batting averages & Reduced strikeouts = increased chances of scoring runs day to day and in the postseason.

Stanton, who wants him and that contract?  Same with Donaldson.

I think you move Donaldson, make DJ the everyday 3rd baseman, but you have to kick in 10-12 million on Donaldson's deal.  Which means Cashman will have paid 37 million for 1 year of Donaldson.

I think Judge leaves.   You get the sense the Yankees do not like management, and if the Giants or Dodgers offer him big money. He is gone.

• Upvote 1

On 11/1/2022 at 6:51 AM, Barton said:

This team needs a mini-overhaul to say the least. Looks like Boone and Cashman are coming back, which is likely a huge mistake. 

Donaldson - GONE

Gleyber - TRADED. terrible in the clutch. prone to boneheaded mistakes. below avg contact skills/poor situational at bats.

Stanton - TRADED. he misses 30+ games every year. cant play the outfield every day. huge strikeout numbers. in the middle of the lineup is not a recipe for success.

Hicks - GONE

Resign Judge, sign Trey Turner to play SS. Re-sign Benintendi and Taillon. Re-sign Rizzo (but explore other gold glove type 1st baseman who dont hit .220). Sign Verlander. 

Volpe - 2nd base

DJ LaMaheiu - moves to 3rd base/rotates at DH to keep fresh with some of the outfielders and infielders

Lineup:

Benintendi, Trey Turner, Judge, DJ LaMahieu, Rizzo, Volpe, Bader, Peraza, Severino/Higgy

Speed added. Contact skills added, higher batting averages & Reduced strikeouts = increased chances of scoring runs day to day and in the postseason.

Hicks and Donaldson would have to be outright waived.

I am afraid Judge isn't going to want to come back.

Stanton is not tradeable you would be paying 15 million a year for him to hit 30 home runs for another team.

They are loaded with shortstops. They aren't signing one.

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Maxman said:

Hicks and Donaldson would have to be outright waived.

I am afraid Judge isn't going to want to come back.

Stanton is not tradeable you would be paying 15 million a year for him to hit 30 home runs for another team.

They are loaded with shortstops. They aren't signing one.

Stanton also has a full no trade.

The ONLY way I can see him being moved, Judge goes to SF, LA trades for Stanton, NY picks up some of his salary.

Donaldson has some value, but you are going to need to eat at least half his salary.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, chirorob said:

Stanton also has a full no trade.

The ONLY way I can see him being moved, Judge goes to SF, LA trades for Stanton, NY picks up some of his salary.

Donaldson has some value, but you are going to need to eat at least half his salary.

Donaldson's glove is amazing. But everyone hates him and he looks done at a plate. If they can get rid of him for 50% of his salary they should do it in a second!

• Upvote 1

Unloading Stanton and his 50 missed games and 250 strikeouts each year would also allow them to sign a true DH middle of the order bat like JD Martinez. Some teams will want Stanton. Teams always have. Just a matter of Hal eating a good portion of the contract. 

Already rumblings the yanks may start Volpe at AAA next year. Why?? Teams don’t play their best prospects at AAA. If they succeed in AA then they jump to the majors. This organization has no clue. Astros just won a word series with a rookie shortstop who played about 10 games in AA. Enough with the coddling. 

1 hour ago, Barton said:

Already rumblings the yanks may start Volpe at AAA next year. Why?? Teams don’t play their best prospects at AAA. If they succeed in AA then they jump to the majors. This organization has no clue. Astros just won a word series with a rookie shortstop who played about 10 games in AA. Enough with the coddling. 

I assume because they want to bring him up mid season and defer his arbitration year down the road. 

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, maury77 said:

I assume because they want to bring him up mid season and defer his arbitration year down the road. 

Of course. Worrying about pennies instead of winning games. Kid needs to play in the majors starting now. Stop effing around. 

• Upvote 1

Are these Yankees really serious about fielding a championship team or are they just satisfied with putting a competitive team on the field?  Stanton will be here, he isn't going anywhere with that contract and the Yanks aren't going to help a team with picking up some of his contract.  Judge?  He may do the Yanks a favor if he signs with a CA team.  If they sign him for the ridiculous contract he's been rumored to make and becomes another Stanton...Yanks are screwed.  Or do they want to spend their money on other FA's?  Yanks seem more involved with outside activities with their brand (charity type things) than getting number 28.  I mean seriously, Cash and Boone back...why?  And then my son tells me he heard they plan on keeping Donaldson...I know some fans get tired of hearing it, but the days of George are long gone.  Hal and company don't have the fire to win like the old man did.

• Upvote 2

15 hours ago, NIGHT STALKER said:

Are these Yankees really serious about fielding a championship team or are they just satisfied with putting a competitive team on the field?  Stanton will be here, he isn't going anywhere with that contract and the Yanks aren't going to help a team with picking up some of his contract.  Judge?  He may do the Yanks a favor if he signs with a CA team.  If they sign him for the ridiculous contract he's been rumored to make and becomes another Stanton...Yanks are screwed.  Or do they want to spend their money on other FA's?  Yanks seem more involved with outside activities with their brand (charity type things) than getting number 28.  I mean seriously, Cash and Boone back...why?  And then my son tells me he heard they plan on keeping Donaldson...I know some fans get tired of hearing it, but the days of George are long gone.  Hal and company don't have the fire to win like the old man did.

Donaldson is essentially un movable unless they eat 15+ on his contract

• Upvote 2

On 11/3/2022 at 9:29 PM, Barton said:

Unloading Stanton and his 50 missed games and 250 strikeouts each year would also allow them to sign a true DH middle of the order bat like JD Martinez. Some teams will want Stanton. Teams always have. Just a matter of Hal eating a good portion of the contract. 

Stanton still has 5 years $150 million fully guaranteed before the Yankees get a team option in 2038.  He is going nowheres

On 11/1/2022 at 11:51 AM, Barton said:

Donaldson - GONE

Hicks - GONE

Volpe - 2nd base

Lineup:

Agree on Benintendi.

Trea Turner looks like a pipe dream unless Judge leaves.  

Here’s what I see happening:

judge (resigned at 14 yrs $350mil)

Rizzo (gone) 

Benintenfi (resign)

Taillon (gone)

Hicks (good luck moving him)

Donaldson (see hicks)

Yanks move DJ to 1st full time 

Gary Sanchez comes back on a 1yr $6 million deal

Sign kluber 1 yr $10 million

Sign Kimbrel 2yr $30 million 

LF:Benintendi

CF: Bader/Hicks

Rf: Judge

3B: Donaldson/Cabrera

SS: Kiner Falefa

2B: Gleyber 

1B: DJ

C Gary

DH: Stanton

Starters:

Cole/Severino/German/Nestor/Kluber/Loaisaga

Bullpen:

Kimbrel/King/Peralta/Marinaccio/Holmes/Schmidt/Garcia

• WTF? 1

17 hours ago, VJphillyfan said:

Agree on Benintendi.

Rizzo (gone) 

Benintenfi (resign)

Taillon (gone)

Donaldson (see hicks)

C Gary

Starters:

Bullpen:

14 years for Judge?  Not happening unless there are all kinds of options for both sides built into a contract where the player is 44 years old at the end of that contract.  Judge would be lucky to last 10 years with his body type.

On 11/12/2022 at 3:37 PM, VJphillyfan said:

Stanton still has 5 years $150 million fully guaranteed before the Yankees get a team option in 2038.  He is going nowheres

LOL, what a contract and agreed. Stanton is here for the duration.

• Upvote 1

On 11/12/2022 at 3:51 PM, VJphillyfan said:

Agree on Benintendi.

Rizzo (gone) 

Benintenfi (resign)

Taillon (gone)

Donaldson (see hicks)

C Gary

Starters:

Bullpen:

Gary Sanchez will NEVER wear Yankees pinstripes again. 

• Upvote 1

On 11/12/2022 at 3:51 PM, VJphillyfan said:

Agree on Benintendi.

Rizzo (gone) 

Benintenfi (resign)

Taillon (gone)

Donaldson (see hicks)

I generally want him back, but his lack of play down the stretch makes me shudder about that midget from the Red Sox.

Great if we can keep him

Love to dump Donaldson almost to the point of waiving him.  Think maybe Cabrera to short and IKF to 3rd

I would love Rizzo back, but that depends on the money.  If so, DJ to 3rd.  If not DJ at 1st IKF to 3rd

C Gary

This is where you go from unconventional to insane.  Guy is basically a DH at this point and we saw what a difference the catchers made with the staff. 

Starters:

I probably keep both Lasagna and German in the pen.

Bullpen:

This seems pretty whacky to me. 

The Yankees went for fielding this year and for awhile it was really working.  There is NO WAY at all they go back to a catcher that is not loved by the pitching staff.  Donaldson seemed to have some value through midseason, but I don't think that it is good to have a guy that people hate that much and they already carrying Stanton and Hicks at overpriced deals.  Hard to believe how well they started with those guys and Gallo collecting checks and not producing.  Tough look in the dugout to have a guy everybody hates collecting that check.  

I think you guys, as usual, are a bit too hard on this team.  If the pen didn't have all those injuries they would have been fine. 

I

• Upvote 1

On 11/14/2022 at 10:43 PM, Maxman said:

I am starting to feel like Judge will be back. 

8 year deal, 330 million.

Man he played a risky hand and won. Good for him.

I can't imagine Judge would take that after the season he just had.  Why wouldn't he ask for at least a 10-11 year deal and $40+M per year?  I think Scherzer is making over $40M.  Judge is going to get a higher AAV.  And it sounds like SF is willing to spend whatever it takes to get Judge so they'll help bid the price up (even if he stays with the Yanks).

• Upvote 1

MVP

On 11/16/2022 at 1:27 PM, TuscanyTile2 said:

I can't imagine Judge would take that after the season he just had.  Why wouldn't he ask for at least a 10-11 year deal and $40+M per year?  I think Scherzer is making over $40M.  Judge is going to get a higher AAV.  And it sounds like SF is willing to spend whatever it takes to get Judge so they'll help bid the price up (even if he stays with the Yanks).

Okay 9 for 372

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

Yankees are apparenty sniffing around the top FA shortstops like Turner and Bogarts. Some reports say as a backup plan if Judge leaves.

This is the part that kills me......why is it a backup plan? Resign Judge and sign Turner. And sign Verlander too.

Stop operating like you are on a budget. The old man understood if you win championships, then the dollars you spent come back to you.

Eat half the contracts for Hicks, Donaldson and mayne Stanton too and that will cover signing a Verlander/Turner.

And you can trade Gleyber, as well - freeing up payroll.

It can be done. I dont want to hear that its not possible --- because it is.

1 hour ago, Barton said:

Yankees are apparenty sniffing around the top FA shortstops like Turner and Bogarts. Some reports say as a backup plan if Judge leaves.

This is the part that kills me......why is it a backup plan? Resign Judge and sign Turner. And sign Verlander too.

Stop operating like you are on a budget. The old man understood if you win championships, then the dollars you spent come back to you.

Eat half the contracts for Hicks, Donaldson and mayne Stanton too and that will cover signing a Verlander/Turner.

And you can trade Gleyber, as well - freeing up payroll.

It can be done. I dont want to hear that its not possible --- because it is.

Why a SS?  That is literally their top 2 prospects, one who is ready to go in the majors next year.

I move Torres, and either make DJ the full time 2B, or let Volpe play 2nd and have DJ play mainly 3rd.

Verlander wants 3 years, 120 million.   That is crazy for a 40 year old.

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, chirorob said:

Why a SS?  That is literally their top 2 prospects, one who is ready to go in the majors next year.

I move Torres, and either make DJ the full time 2B, or let Volpe play 2nd and have DJ play mainly 3rd.

This is what I'm hoping for as well. Play Peraza at SS, Volpe at 2nd (since he allegedly has the inferior arm out of the 2) and pray DJ stays healthy. Alternatively, you can play IKF at 3rd or trade for someone (Kris Bryant?). Also, I'd explore the prior trade that was on the table to send Gleyber to the Marlins for the pitcher. 

• Upvote 1

19 hours ago, chirorob said:

I keep hearing about Yankees prospects but they havent developed anything notable outside of Judge in the last 15 years, in terms of positional players.

On 11/16/2022 at 1:27 PM, TuscanyTile2 said:

Cashman is giving judge a 10 year deal otherwise enjoy watching him with dodgers or giants next year