Yankees Offseason Thread

Barton

Cohen spending like he wants to win, while Hal is counting his daddies pennies.

Yankees didnt want to sign Benintendi through his age 32 season? How does that make sense?

They didnt sign him because of payroll reasons and being unable to dump Hicks/Donaldson. Thats the real reason. Not because they believe in Jasson who thus far hasnt met his hype. 

You can almost guarantee that next years left fielder will be "affordable" and via trade.

On 12/19/2022 at 9:14 PM, Barton said:

Are you guys kidding me? Stanton in left? The guy misses 60 games a season. Cabrera? Did you not see him butcher the outfield last year? Carpenter, who was out of baseball for 2 years? Prospects in A ball who might develop?

Yankees lineup right now is horrible. Benintendi was an actual pro at the plate, entering his prime. Gold glove defender, too.

And i dont want to hear anything about our OFer prospects coming up soon, so dont worry about Benny. Yanks are a win now team. 

The horrible lineup won 99 games and got to the ALCS with a not great starting rotation and no closer for 40-50% of the season. Our bigger issue than Benintendi is we have 0.0 offense at Catcher now that Gary is gone

The yankee teams that won it all in the 90’s and 2000’s had guys at Catcher who could hit.  Leyritz, Girardi, and of course Posada

This spending spree of Cohen's is actually good for the Yankees. Not only does it force Hal's hand a bit, but it's going to rock the player contract market and skew the parity that's been going on in baseball recently. You'll see the big market teams begin to regain their advantages from financial strength. The bottom feeders will rake in that luxury money, but the bottom half spending tier just above the collectors (Cleveland etc) are going to get hit the hardest. 

4 hours ago, VJphillyfan said:

The horrible lineup won 99 games and got to the ALCS with a not great starting rotation and no closer for 40-50% of the season. Our bigger issue than Benintendi is we have 0.0 offense at Catcher now that Gary is gone

The yankee teams that won it all in the 90’s and 2000’s had guys at Catcher who could hit.  Leyritz, Girardi, and of course Posada

Girardi did hit 290 one year, usually he hit close to 260-270, with a solid 2 to 3 home runs a year.  Gary fell apart for whatever reason, he still only hit 205 last year.

This team is set up to win 95ish games again, and lose to the Atros again.  The starters are better, but the lineup isn't, and you have to figure Judge does not hit 60 HR again.

• Upvote 2

37 minutes ago, chirorob said:

Girardi did hit 290 one year, usually he hit close to 260-270, with a solid 2 to 3 home runs a year.  Gary fell apart for whatever reason, he still only hit 205 last year.

This team is set up to win 95ish games again, and lose to the Atros again.  The starters are better, but the lineup isn't, and you have to figure Judge does not hit 60 HR again.

Having no offense at Catcher hurts us especially in the playoffs because we might as well be a national league team with a pitcher batting 9th.  Your giving the other team’s pitchers a free out every couple innings

Gary’s average fell but he was still hitting home runs and was at least a threat to do that.  Higgy can’t hit a beachball and is mediocre defensively 

On 12/21/2022 at 12:18 PM, chirorob said:

Keep in mind Judge hit 62 homers in a dead ball year. If they liven up the ball this year and he stays healthy he could easily hit 70 + 

Bader did look very good at the plate in the playoffs question is can the guy stay healthy. Sometimes these guys play too hard and wind up being injured more often than not. This is a kid that needs to pick his spots in other words when you have a game in the bag don't try to stretch doubles into triples or run into walls to make a catch with 2 out and nobody on.

I would love to see the Yankees Play Volpe and Peraza make Kiner Falefa a top notch utility guy and put DJ on Third permanently.

Stanton is an issue but when he gets hot there's no better hitter in the game. No need to play him in the field just pure DH from now on and there are plenty of ways to keep him fresh. And figure out Why in the hell he keeps hurting his calf and how to prevent it. 

Outfield Cabrara, Bader, Judge. If they want to trade for a soild Outfielder so be it, simply because Both Bader and Judge are oft injured.

Pitching is fine and has been for some time and we have 2 very good catchers to handle the staff which they do very well. Kahlne, Rodon really boosted this staff. Will be interesting who they go with as closer or if they committee 

I think with the Volpe, Peraza, Bader ---2 of the three batting 1st and 2nd in the lineup the other batting 9th not only will we have players that can set the table for the big guys but we will also have players who can manufacture a big run when needed. Relying on the Homer for the past 20 years is a 1 in 20 year WS if you get lucky. great pitching shuts down those big homerun hitters because they simply do not make mistakes and they stay away and throw nothing but junk to them. If we can get players on base, Move runners over, hit behind runners, and bunt this team can be dangerous if they play the game like its meant to be played. 

Realistically speaking, right now, Yankees have enough STUFF to not have to worry too much about LF and still win the East next season.

Sad that Benentendi broke the bone in his hand, he was starting to be what we expected him to be when it happened, same deal with DJ who was on fire right before he hurt his foot and getting on base at a .400 clip .If those two were healthy and starting to go on a rampage, along with Carpenter , I personally think, it’s a different Yankee team in the playoffs but that is ancient history.

Hicks and Donaldson are the two guys that disappointed the most and if we are stuck with both , due to salary, might as well hope they both can make a comeback this season, stranger things have happened.

If Hicks is in any way a competitor and not the California airhead I think he is, he will have worked  and be working on his game this past off season , clearly his head drifting forward during the swing, is a problem he can work on in a cage with a Swing coach, like Carpenter did the season before and Hicks is not without some talent .

Donaldson, an expectant father last season and involved in some controversy also, is a former MVP and can still play the position defensively, so you’d like to think he returns with a better approach also as his batting skills have slowed a bit and maybe he needs to lay off that high fastball and go more opposite field.

I see nothing wrong with a Yankee OF of Judge , Bader, Hicks/ Cabrera with some Stanton thrown in , to start and Cashman giving up some top prospects again in July at the deadline and acquiring a top OF type guy, somebody unexpected right now , who puts us over the top.

No rush, Yankees have enough to win the division now.

8 hours ago, Leftylarry said:

Realistically speaking, right now, Yankees have enough STUFF to not have to worry too much about LF and still win the East next season.

Sad that Benentendi broke the bone in his hand, he was starting to be what we expected him to be when it happened, same deal with DJ who was on fire right before he hurt his foot and getting on base at a .400 clip .If those two were healthy and starting to go on a rampage, along with Carpenter , I personally think, it’s a different Yankee team in the playoffs but that is ancient history.

Hicks and Donaldson are the two guys that disappointed the most and if we are stuck with both , due to salary, might as well hope they both can make a comeback this season, stranger things have happened.

If Hicks is in any way a competitor and not the California airhead I think he is, he will have worked  and be working on his game this past off season , clearly his head drifting forward during the swing, is a problem he can work on in a cage with a Swing coach, like Carpenter did the season before and Hicks is not without some talent .

Donaldson, an expectant father last season and involved in some controversy also, is a former MVP and can still play the position defensively, so you’d like to think he returns with a better approach also as his batting skills have slowed a bit and maybe he needs to lay off that high fastball and go more opposite field.

I see nothing wrong with a Yankee OF of Judge , Bader, Hicks/ Cabrera with some Stanton thrown in , to start and Cashman giving up some top prospects again in July at the deadline and acquiring a top OF type guy, somebody unexpected right now , who puts us over the top.

No rush, Yankees have enough to win the division now.

Goal is World Series. Not division. No chance the current lineup is winning a World Series. None.

• Upvote 2

On 1/3/2023 at 6:29 PM, Barton said:

Goal is World Series. Not division. No chance the current lineup is winning a World Series. None.

Wel, that’s easy to say because they lost last year and haven’t improved the line up by spending money but I think Houston will miss Verlander and some Yankees will have better hitting seasons until the All Star break and then they add a big hitter , I’m actually  optimistic, not confident but  optimistic that Stanton, Donaldson and yes, even Hicks can do better and the kids Cabrera and Perazza can step up too , just need a vintage DJ to have one more big season, can happen and the pitching could be lights out.

On 1/3/2023 at 6:28 PM, Barton said:

I still can’t get over the idiocy of letting benintendi walk for 15 mill a year. 

Was his hand healthy? does he want to play in NY. 
would you rather have Taillon and Benentendi instead of Rodon , Kahnle, Cabrera and maybe a trade later on with the extra money?

i wouldn’t.

9 hours ago, Leftylarry said:

Was his hand health? does he want to play in NY. 
would you rather have Taillon and Benentendi instead of Rodon , Kahnle, Cabrera and maybe a trade later on with the extra money?

i wouldn’t.

It was 5 years.  You'd have Hicks, Benetendi, Stanton and Judge all signed on long term deals, + Bader, which leaves no flexibility.

9 hours ago, chirorob said:

It was 5 years.  You'd have Hicks, Benetendi, Stanton and Judge all signed on long term deals, + Bader, which leaves no flexibility.

None of those guys will be here in 4 years besides judge. This is a win now team btw.   Benny is only 28 too. Idiotic move. Now they might trade top prospects for Reynolds’s? 

22 hours ago, chirorob said:

I’m ok with letting Bene go, It didn’t work out, they brought him in to get Yankees over the top and he got injured just as he was getting comfy in NY.

• Upvote 1

13 hours ago, Barton said:

None of those guys will be here in 4 years besides judge. This is a win now team btw.   Benny is only 28 too. Idiotic move. Now they might trade top prospects for Reynolds’s? 

The guys who are real prospects and who the gurus say are the top prospects are often different things.

Many top prospects are often clearly bogus.

13 hours ago, Barton said:

Reynolds is a home run hitter that strikes out a lot lol Joey Gallo v2.0. WE NEED CONTACT HITTERS!!! We have enough guys that swing so hard with 2 strikes that they fall down. Torres Donaldson et Al 

3 hours ago, BP said:

Reynolds is a home run hitter that strikes out a lot lol Joey Gallo v2.0. WE NEED CONTACT HITTERS!!! We have enough guys that swing so hard with 2 strikes that they fall down. Torres Donaldson et Al 

Reynolds lifetime batting average is .281, Joey Gallo's .210 when he came to the Yankees and it got worse , apples & oranges totally.

Benintendi lifetime average is .279, lower than Reynolds and Reynolds OBP is better than Bene's and Joey's also.

Reynolds is a guy who makes contact and hits HR's and he's a switch hitter, i think you underrate him.

Of course Yankees could tell him to sell out for HR's like they apparently have done with everybody else but that's on them, not the player.

Reynolds , I think would be a great addition as our LF'er.

• Upvote 2

5 hours ago, Leftylarry said:

Reynolds lifetime batting average is .281, Joey Gallo's .210 when he came to the Yankees and it got worse , apples & oranges totally.

Benintendi lifetime average is .279, lower than Reynolds and Reynolds OBP is better than Bene's and Joey's also.

Reynolds is a guy who makes contact and hits HR's and he's a switch hitter, i think you underrate him.

Of course Yankees could tell him to sell out for HR's like they apparently have done with everybody else but that's on them, not the player.

Reynolds , I think would be a great addition as our LF'er.

Ya Reynolds’s is fine overall plus a switch hitter but it’s a stupid move to now trade a top prospect plus more for him when benintendi could have been signed for just the money. Also Benny is proven in a big market.  Reynolds is unproven in the big market. That can be an issue as we have seen. Benny also a better contact guy with speed who sets the table. 

• 4 weeks later...
On 1/6/2023 at 6:14 PM, VJphillyfan said:

You guys overrate Benintendi like it’s going out of style.  Having 0.0 offense at Catcher is a much bigger problem than not overpaying like crazy when we already have Bader

I actually think Yankees Trevino was about league average as a hitter, it was Higgy who IMO disappointed.

Can't blame them too much there, they thought they had a 10 year offensive guy in Sanchez before he decided he could hit it further and harder than Stanton and Judge and ruined his swing.

47 minutes ago, Leftylarry said:

I actually think Yankees Trevino was about league average as a hitter, it was Higgy who IMO disappointed.

Can't blame them too much there, they thought they had a 10 year offensive guy in Sanchez before he decided he could hit it further and harder than Stanton and Judge and ruined his swing.

League average hitting at catcher is very low right now.

18 hours ago, Leftylarry said:

Trevino was average until august and then got exposed.  Higgy is horrible.  Actually, saying he’s horrible offensively is generous.  And he is not a good defensive catcher

the Yankees cannot go into another year with an 8 man lineup again

On 1/31/2023 at 7:44 AM, VJphillyfan said:

We’re league average?

Hard to believe but, YES.

https://www.fangraphs.com/leaders.aspx?pos=c&stats=bat&lg=al&qual=100&type=8&season=2022&team=0

if they go to electronic balls & strikes , framing becomes a lot less important and Coaches might call what pitches to throw, making catcher a hitting position and throwing.

Yankees have Josh Breaux who is a big power hitter, still in minors because all he can do is hit and throw   Right handed catcher and  Wells the LH hitting catcher would be helped by that also, wouldn’t be surprised if Wells was a 25 HR guy with a .280+ batting average every season also.

I was pretty shocked Breaux wasn’t taken in Rule five draft this season and Rortveld the other LH catcher Yankees were very high on as another guy with 20+ HR power guy , well he had the same meniscus surgery as ZW last spring and the same way people are underplaying ZW and his health and rust  after the surgery, I’m not optimistic a catcher comes back from that 100% either, Rortveld could be done, making that trade a real bust because Yankees loved him.

Resigning Judge and brining in Rondon should make us the favorites in to win the division again. I still don’t know what their plan is for LF and 3b. Can’t see them giving Donaldson everyday ABs. Would much rather see Volpe and Peraza getting those ABs.

Also, I’d bring in Trevor Bauer to round out this rotation. Cole, Rondon, Sevy, Bauer, Cortes would make for a sick rotation. 

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, Rhg1084 said:

Resigning Judge and brining in Rondon should make us the favorites in to win the division again. I still don’t know what their plan is for LF and 3b. Can’t see them giving Donaldson everyday ABs. Would much rather see Volpe and Peraza getting those ABs.

Also, I’d bring in Trevor Bauer to round out this rotation. Cole, Rondon, Sevy, Bauer, Cortes would make for a sick rotation. 

Oh cool being favorites to win the division again is awesome until you realize we’re not even close to winning anything that matters. 

2 minutes ago, JustEndTheSuffering said:

Oh cool being favorites to win the division again is awesome until you realize we’re not even close to winning anything that matters. 

I mean Astros lost Verlander. Are they still that much better than us? Who knows. We definitely have a legit shot at making the World Series with this roster.

6 hours ago, Rhg1084 said:

I mean Astros lost Verlander. Are they still that much better than us? Who knows. We definitely have a legit shot at making the World Series with this roster.

They’re are still far better than us. We didn’t improve this off-season all we did was bring Judge back (sucked when it mattered **** him) and bring in Rodon when pitching hasn’t been the postseason problem last few years. 

15 hours ago, Maxman said:

I don't like the catching and closer situation. Question marks at LF and 3B but they have internal talent that can work it out in a good way.

Closer scares me. Catcher scares me.

YAnkees have Trevino & Higgy, two competent catchers, trevino got tired near the end, Higgy is a hitting under-achiever, he has more talent than he shows, sadly.

Yankees were very high on Rortveld when they traded for him , think he's a 20 HR type LH hitting catcher with good defense, too bad he had the meniscus surgery last spring, people think that's a joke but it often isn't and ruins your knee, don't think ZAch wilson was fully balanced and healthy after his meniscus surgery, either.

Wells and Breaux are hit first catchers though Breaux has a good arm and Wells supposedly has improved mightily as a receiver too.

Don't think Catcher will cause them to be non-competitive.

16 hours ago, JustEndTheSuffering said:

They’re are still far better than us. We didn’t improve this off-season all we did was bring Judge back (sucked when it mattered **** him) and bring in Rodon when pitching hasn’t been the postseason problem last few years. 

Not sure I agree, they add a healthy DJ, who was on fire when he was injured, they add Perazza, who many think is better than IKF as a hitter and fielder, they add a full season of a healthy BAder who seems to love to hit in YAnkee STAdium and could be ready for a career season.

Why assume Hicks, Donaldson and Stanton can't play better, all have in their careers and Yankees have new Coaches on staff to assist them.

i truly believe, we are  totally different team last playoffs with a healthy Benetendi, Carpenter and DJ, really a different line up.

I still expect a trade where Gleyber and prospects are used ot bring in a BIG player, a very difference making hitter type.

Just now, Leftylarry said:

Not sure I agree, they add a healthy DJ, who was on fire when he was injured, they add Perazza, who many think is better than IKF as a hitter and fielder, they add a full season of a healthy Bader who seems to love to hit in Yankee Stadium and could be ready for a career season.

Why assume Hicks, Donaldson and Stanton can't play better, all have in their careers and Yankees have new Coaches on staff to assist them.

i truly believe, we are  totally different team last playoffs with a healthy Benetendi, Carpenter and DJ, really a different line up.

I still expect a trade where Gleyber and prospects are used to bring in a BIG player, a very difference making hitter type.