Can you ever stop rooting for the NY Jets/NFL?

Bronx

The NY Jets are probably one of the worst franchises of NY and in professional sports regardless of its face value.  This team has been the laughingstock of the NFL ranging from awful drafts, fake spike, butt fumble and constant humiliation. 35 years of false hope and counting, but I can't stop following the NY Jets...this has to be medically diagnosed as an obsession. 

I have already stopped following the Yankees and the Knicks, but for some reason I don't want to give up on the NY Jets regardless of the torture and agony endured all these years. However, I feel that the time that I invest on this team could be spent wiser or for better use. I wonder if the time to stop rooting for this team is naturally approaching. 

I hope to see this team making it to the Superbowl before I fully lose interest in this vanilla, awfully refereed league and the NY Jets. 35 years investing time and feelings on this team feels like an indefinite Chapter 13 Bankruptcy. 

• Upvote 2
  • WTF? 1

The Jets are not the worst franchise in professional sports, let alone the NFL.  It only feels like that because they are in the NY market.  The Jets have had a lot of lows, particularly over the past ten years, but they have also had a fair amount of success.  Would you really want to trade places with a Dolphins fan whose team is constantly dealing with some controversy and has only seen his team win, what, one playoff game this century?  I'll take the roller-coaster over being a consistent seven-win irrelevant team.

• Upvote 1

Separately, after Sunday's game I was thinking about whether NFL officiating -- and specifically the increase in game-altering penalties for QB hits that do not influence the outcome of the play -- will lead me to stop following the sport.  The NFL is seriously ruining the game with this nonsense and I don't see how it doesn't stop barring an on the field riot at a game.

• Upvote 2

I have been a fan of the Jets since 1965 and have no intentions of that changing until they put me in the ground. If there is an after life I will still be a Jets fan. I bleed green and always will.

J E T S. Jets Jets Jets!!!!!!

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 3

We all have our crosses to bear.

For alot of us it is the New York Jets

Giving up the Knicks was no problem.

I will never give up on the Yankees or the Rangers cause at least they have a clue. (Although I am starting to waver on Cashman and his merry band of analytic @ss holes)

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, oatmeal said:

Not really the Jets but the league just looks questionable af when you see all the game changing calls weekly and see how much the nfl is in bed with Vegas, after a while it’s just like WTF is going on here? 

I think the whole momentum changed last week thanks to the zebras. 

• Post of the Week 1

1 minute ago, JiFapono said:

Jets, no.  

NFL?  Easily.  It's pure utter garbage that has been trending downward for years.  Teams are awful and the product sucks.  Another absolutely terrible prime time game last night that was utterly, unwatchable.  It usually takes me a week of two of watching the NFL to remember just how absolutely miserable of a product it is, the production, the commercials, the drama, the pro wrestling format, the announcers, the officiating, the favoritism, the whole game focused on the QB who you cant breath on, it's pure unwatchable trash 95% of the time. 

Well said.

Just now, Bronx said:

Honestly, seeing Zach Wilson scramble--like a headless cock--  week in and week out turns me off immediately...I can't stand it.

He plays football like he’s showing off playing catch on the beach. He poses and plays for the camera way more then he thinks. It’s ok though, he’ll get it by year 9. 

• Upvote 3

6 minutes ago, The Crusher said:

I use to watch no less  than 75% of all the NFL games I could get. There was a time I’d go out for the 1’oclock game and  stay out till after SNF. Now? I’m lucky to watch 75% of the Jet games. The Monday night game  were Justin Fields showed us exactly how to beat the Patriots was the exception to the rule. Still like  watching the Pats  get beat down. 

Me too, I was a big "NFL is King" believer and watch hours of ball for many years.  Now?  Way more interested in Saturdays than Sunday.

I will try and tune into certain players, certain match ups, but even when I do, I get 20-30 minutes in and I've seen 600 commercials and I just get bored, fall asleep or start reading something and not paying any attention. 

5 minutes ago, JiFapono said:

Me too, I was a big "NFL is King" believer and watch hours of ball for many years.  Now?  Way more interested in Saturdays than Sunday.

I will try and tune into certain players, certain match ups, but even when I do, I get 20-30 minutes in and I've seen 600 commercials and I just get bored, fall asleep or start reading something and not paying any attention. 

It’s the heavy handed refs for me. I understand they are trying to protect the QBs and other skill players but it’s so brutally inconsistent it reeks of game  manipulation. Can’t even enjoy a big play because immediately after watching  it I find myself waiting to see if the refs will it stand. Then the announcers being told to shill for the NFL by not pointing them out and make up some silly rationalization or by biting their tongue is really killing it for me. Games seem more and more a scripted every  week.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, The Crusher said:

It’s the heavy handed refs for me. I understand they are trying to protect the QBs and other skill players but it’s so brutally inconsistent it reeks of game  manipulation. Can’t even enjoy a big play because immediately after watching  it I find myself waiting to see if the refs will it stand. Then the announcers being told to shill for the NFL by not pointing them out and make up some silly rationalization or by biting their tongue is really killing it for me. Games seem more and more a scripted every  week.

Dude, I didnt even flinch when Carter got the pick 6.  I literally was like, no way!!!!  Hold on, lets see if there is a flag and oh wowy lookie, there was a flag. 

Jets I'll never stop watching. Unfortunately. 

Rest of the NFL, I'll keep the Giants game on to see how they do. But i'll never stay glued to the tv like I HAVE to watch these. When I was younger I would but thats cause I had no child demanding my attention lol. 

Playoffs is obv a must. I don't care about the refs being bad, unless it's effecting the Jets directly, why do I care?

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Bronx said:

The NY Jets are probably one of the worst franchises of NY and in professional sports regardless of its face value.  This team has been the laughingstock of the NFL ranging from awful drafts, fake spike, butt fumble and constant humiliation. 35 years of false hope and counting, but I can't stop following the NY Jets...this has to be medically diagnosed as an obsession. 

I have already stopped following the Yankees and the Knicks, but for some reason I don't want to give up on the NY Jets regardless of the torture and agony endured all these years. However, I feel that the time that I invest on this team could be spent wiser or for better use. I wonder if the time for stop rooting for this team is naturally approaching. 

I hope to see this team making it to the Superbowl before I fully lose interest in this vanilla, awfully refereed league and the NY Jets. 35 years investing time and feelings on this team feels like an indefinite Chapter 13 Bankruptcy. 

You should watch the Knicks. They are putting together a good team. Brunson is a difference maker. Had a bad game against The Bucks but otherwise has been pretty good. Charlotte was the one bad team game this season. 

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, JiFapono said:

Dude, I didnt even flinch when Carter got the pick 6.  I literally was like, no way!!!!  Hold on, lets see if there is a flag and oh wowy lookie, there was a flag. 

Same, 100% knew it was coming. They weren’t letting the game get away that easy. Reason NFL sucks this year is the teams they typically juice are not doing their part. So seems the are starting to focus on individual players. Love the kid, but Sauce is getting Michael Jordon type liberties. Haha, least he’s one of ours. 

1 hour ago, Bronx said:

I have already stopped following the Yankees and the Knicks, but for some reason I don't want to give up on the NY Jets regardless of the torture and agony endured all these years. However, I feel that the time that I invest on this team could be spent wiser or for better use. I wonder if the time for stop rooting for this team is naturally approaching. 

It's  really hard to swallow what Zach jist gave us. He was actually not putting up the numbers but he was taking care of the ball. I don't know what happened but he went back to playing Street football like we saw last season. Chris Simms couldn't  be more right. This was a game where more than ever he needed to not turn it over. The Pats feed on your mistakes. It's  really sad to see how he played against them. Just one bad decision  after another

Jet fan since '64 or '65 here.   Before that, the Yankees were the first team I remember following as a little kid.  Knicks in the mid-60s.  Never had an interest in hockey.

Other than a few minutes here and there, I have not tuned into a Yankee game for several years.  Or any other baseball game.   I just don't like what the game has become: essentially a home run derby with guys taking exaggerated upper cut swings and admiring their shots going into the seats.  As someone from an era where doing that would get you and the next batter beaned, it just sits wrong with me.

Basketball, too, has become a three-point shoot out.  Almost no one plays hard defense or even knows how to box out,   I don't find it entertaining.  Plus, Dolan is a scumbag who turned me off to the team a long while back.   For me, the Knicks are another non-entity.  Equally embarrassing as the Jets.

Recently, I've told my son that I'm super close to stop watching the Jets and NFL in general.   I no longer recognize how the game is played and officiated.  Tons of talent-minus players who don't belong on an NFL field and can do the basics like tackle, hit simple throws, etc.  Plus, how many Jet QB misses can a fan take?   Half the time during our games, I'm either cooking, doing chores or watching something else like a soccer match.   I'm not ready to fully pack it in, but getting there for sure.

Jets.  If they had traded for Watson I would have never watched them again.  I boycotted them for the year Vick was here.

I do care less and less every year.   I actually like JD, but I feel like I'm Charlie Brown and the Jets are Lucy.

"Nope.  This time we'll be good, I won't move the ball"

"Sucker!!"

As a kid, I made it through the 70s, an entire decade without a winning record.  That prepared me to stick with this team through anything.  Never expected that we would repeat another decade of no playoffs (although we did have 1 winning record). 

Being a Jet fan is a life sentence.

• Upvote 1