Trade Deadline (Merged)

hawk

3 minutes ago, munchmemory said:

Speaking of Von, he worries me for Sunday's game.   And I'm sure the Jet coaches, too.  Seems like he has found a fountain of youth or something.  This guy can still destroy a game.

and we thinki Zach runs backwards to much.....this is gona be fun

6 minutes ago, BurntDice said:

My guess is that it’s more about the $. Q needs to get paid and this trade frees up 6+ mil next year. He was also a luxury since the edge room is so deep. More reps for the other guys now 

I don't think so.  The trade accelerates his signing bonus, so rather than spreading it over 23 & 24, it will all hit in '23.  About $2.6M.  I think tihs frees up his $4.25M base next year which will be paid by Denver, but accelerates about $2.5M signing bonus, saving about $1.75M..  Also frees up about $3.25M in 24, which was his unguaranteed base that he probably was never gonna see anyway.

• Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

Dolphins correcting mistakes, they went out of their way to get Edmonds and he has been a huge disappointment.

Also if Jalen Philips who looked promising was better they might not make the chubb deal.

THIS is the big takeaway.  Chubb is a huge acquisition in terms of trade resources and $$$.  I don't think Miami makes that kind of move if Philips looks like an eventual star.

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, JetsRay said:

You asked who would I like to see upgraded.

Fair.

I think Davis is a good player, does a solid job, and is a #1a or even 1b WR, good character guy, and a tough player who plays hard. But he's often injured, and he's not in the Hopkins, Metcalf, Diggs, Jefferson, Devante Adams sector.

Fair.  Matches my eval. when we first acquired him.

Joyner is a serviceable player that is ok. Whitehead is good player but needs a player like a Simmons from Denver or a Micah Hyde from Buffalo type player.

Presume upgrade would require an external person then.  

The DL is best position on the team with depth, but I think we need to upgrade the interior.

Being the best unit on the team (or certainly close to it) makes more investment in it while other units remain quite weak to be unlikely, but fair enough.  

7 minutes ago, Lith said:

I don't think so.  The trade accelerates his signing bonus, so rather than spreading it over 23 & 24, it will all hit in '23.  About $2.6M.  I think tihs frees up his $4.25M base next year which will be paid by Denver, but accelerates about $2.5M signing bonus, saving about $1.75M..  Also frees up about $3.25M in 24, which was his unguaranteed base that he probably was never gonna see anyway.

Makes sense he’s making 2.7 this year so like 1 gets rolled over too then right? 

I think Vinny Curry might have influenced the Martin deal.  He had to be a huge question mark entering the season.  Now that Bryce Huff is playing the DPR better than Martin and they have Curry as a vet, to play the run and insurance, getting a pick is nice.  Pushing it all to 2024 though.  Everybody will forget and it will seem like a bonus. 

• Upvote 2

8 minutes ago, C Mart said:

Adam Schefter @AdamSchefter

And another! Colts are trading Nyheim Hines to the Buffalo Bills, sources tell ESPN.

Ari Meirov @MySportsUpdate

The #Bills are sending RB Zach Moss and a 6th rounder that could become a 5th for Nyheim Hines, per @JayGlazer

JD made his move with James Robinson earlier last week.  He gave up a conditional 5th/6th and I don't think he was in the mood to part with additional assets unless it was a very good deal.  If they haven't made a panic move for OT thus far I don't think they're doing one with Fant and Mitchell likely returning in the next 2-3 weeks (Jets have a Bye week in there too).

I think the Jets were in seller mode today as evidenced by the Jacob Martin deal.  Never believed the Bradley Chubb rumors, never believed they'd make a big move for OT.  I also think it would have taken a lot to pry Elijah Moore away.... JD isn't giving up on him this quickly.  It would have taken more than JD used to get him IMO (think a 2nd and 3rd for a guy taken at the top of Round 2).

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, bla bla bla said:

I think if we won Sunday we would have seen a move for Conklin or Tunsil but it's probably wise to wait til after the season and build Moores trade value up

I don't think Saleh or JD want to trade Moore. Trading Moore doesn't improve the WR core at all. Especially when Davis is out on his multi-week leg injury. And even next season, Davis is gone ($14 mil) then what? 

If they wanted to move him im pretty sure they could have. I wouldn't be surprised to hear they turned down solid to decent offers for him.

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, David Harris said:

They’re going all in but I don’t think they’re winning any championships with Tua.

3rd highest completion percentage (69.9%), 

3rd highest TD Pass Percentage (6.5%),

7th Lowest INT Percentage (1.6%),

1st in Yards Per Attempt (9.6 YPA)

1st in NFL in QB Rating (112.7)

Dolphins are 5-1 in games he has started, including a win over Buffalo where he had a 128.3 passing rating.

Am I missing something here? :-k

What part of his being a pretty clear-cut top 5 QB this year (with two league-best WR's) is holding them back, outside injury risk?

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

5 hours ago, hawk said:

I'd be happy with any improvement on the Offensive line and any improvement with our pass rush (which is already quite good.)

If we could get Brian Burns by getting rid of some dead weight (Moore) and minimal draft compensation.  ?

FWIW, the Panthers supposedly just turned down the Rams offer of two firsts for Burns. @T0mShane it was a nice thought, but no thanks.  OTOH, that probably means stockpiling these edges might end up letting us trade some for even more than we got for Martin in future years. 

• Upvote 2

Just now, Warfish said:

Did anyone really think they would?  Or really could?

Nope.  As I said earlier in the thread it would have taken a pretty significant offer to pry Moore away I think.

It also sends a really bad message to a team just starting to find some level of confidence and belief that they can compete.  With all of Zach's struggles the last thing you do is take away a weapon, especially with Corey Davis injured.  It would have looked like they were throwing in the towel.

• Upvote 1