Theories why the Jets aren’t calling designed runs for Wilson?

Matt39

Wilson’s only strength right now seems to be athleticism. He’s fast and elusive for a QB. Does he not want to run? I remember similar issues with Darnold and they didn’t want to expose him to hits because they were afraid he’d get hurt. The only way Wilson can be successful right now is if he runs imo. Why they’re not letting him do this or why he’s not wanting to do it is hurting the offense. 

• Upvote 1

He's got athleticism but he's not a QB you run designed runs with. Where he should be using his athleticism is when a play breaks down and he takes off but its hard to do that when instead of stepping up in the pocket you're moving backwards and drifting towards the sideline. He should be making a lot more plays with his feet in the passing game but his mechanics and nature are not allowing that to happen. 

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1
  • Post of the Week 1

I dont think it makes sense to call designed runs for him. He is fast and athletic but not a running QB type.  He is small and skinny and 1-2 hits in a game are pretty dangerous for him.  Does not do anyone any good if he gets hurt again.

Unfortunately, now this year is about figuring out if he is the guy  or not.  But as others have mentioned, he needs to be a bit smarter about when he runs for first downs and things like that as there are 3-4 openings during the game for him.  Would just add another element that defenses would have to worry about.

10 minutes ago, jamesr said:

They called what I think was a designed run on our first scoring drive. It gained 2 yards and got Wilson flattened by Judon and two other Patsies.

Maybe they saw that and thought better of it?

Yes that was an inspired call.  Run an RPO from the opponents 12 yard line with 9 men in the box expecting a run.  

• Upvote 2

I don't think we need more designed runs per se. As others point out, there were many opportunities for zach to break the defense spirit with killer runs and he didn't take it.

The issue is purely mental I think. Right now, zach has a 1 track mind. He's predetermined what he's going to do and does only that no matter what. It's the reason he doesn't see open receivers or take wide open running lanes.

Zach is going to either evolve into a qb that can see several options simultaneously and process the best one or this is basically his ceiling. Great physical attributes wasted on a weak CPU.

• Post of the Week 1

17 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

Wilson’s only strength right now seems to be athleticism. He’s fast and elusive for a QB. Does he not want to run? I remember similar issues with Darnold and they didn’t want to expose him to hits because they were afraid he’d get hurt. The only way Wilson can be successful right now is if he runs imo. Why they’re not letting him do this or why he’s not wanting to do it is hurting the offense. 

He’s not built like Fields. They don’t trust him to get up from hits imo.

At this point I don’t think that even matters - His passing isn’t an asset worth protecting so they should play to every strength he has.

• Upvote 2

Zach is bigger than Kyler Murray and  Jalen Hurts,  They seem to be able to run which not only gains yards but totally opens up the field for big passing plays.   This is strictly a failure of coaching.  If I’m Lafleur and Salah I tell this guy either run forward or don’t run at all.  Backwards is totally unacceptable and in my opinion motivated solely by fear, hence the fact that virtually no big pass plays come off these runs as you might expect while the defense breaks down.  It is perfectly acceptable to run (forward) for 6 yards and slide.   The league is protecting QBs like never before.  The fact that he only chooses to run backwards is an indictment on him and the CS.   It needs to be corrected immediately or he needs to hit the bench  

• Upvote 4

Just now, Irish Jet said:

He’s not built like Fields. They don’t trust him to get up from hits imo.

At this point I don’t think that even matters - His passing isn’t an asset worth protecting so they should play to every strength he has.

Yeah in order for the offense to work they need to run him and if he gets hurt so be it.

• Upvote 1

He doesn't need designed runs (he doesn't have a Josh Allen frame).  He needs better awareness on when

to give up on a play and to "safely scramble" to the sideline or slide.  These are the best runs because the defense

is concentrating on the receivers and Wilson would be able to run into the voids that the defenders have left

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1

1 minute ago, KRL said:

He doesn't need designed runs (he doesn't have a Josh Allen frame).  He needs better awareness on when

to give up on a play and to "safely scramble" to the sideline or slide.  These are the best runs because the defense

is concentrating on the receivers and Wilson would be able to run into the voids that the defenders have left

that 4th down should have been a run.  big miss by wilson.  not sure why he didn't run maybe folks can explain to me.  

• Upvote 2

I would not design runs for him. We actually had one against NE in the red zone where he ran left and got tackled by 2 or 3 defenders. He gained like 3 yards if I remember correctly.

His strengths are arm strength and quick release. I think we are seeing the benefits of that. See Conklin throw for a TD. Any less zip on that throw and it’s knocked away.

Where I think he is not using his strength  is in his ability to evade rushers. He needs to either throw it to a wide open receiver, run and slide, or throw it away. The run and slide part is not happening.

Good QBs in this league move the chains by getting first downs by stepping up in the pocket and taking off if the lane opens up and slide after the marker. I have never seen Zach do this. It not about designed runs its about smart QB play. 

• Upvote 3

34 minutes ago, ChewyandtheJets said:

Zach is bigger than Kyler Murray and  Jalen Hurts,  They seem to be able to run which not only gains yards but totally opens up the field for big passing plays.   This is strictly a failure of coaching.  If I’m Lafleur and Salah I tell this guy either run forward or don’t run at all.  Backwards is totally unacceptable and in my opinion motivated solely by fear, hence the fact that virtually no big pass plays come off these runs as you might expect while the defense breaks down.  It is perfectly acceptable to run (forward) for 6 yards and slide.   The league is protecting QBs like never before.  The fact that he only chooses to run backwards is an indictment on him and the CS.   It needs to be corrected immediately or he needs to hit the bench  

I hear your frustration but it's impossible to say it's on coaching. I highly doubt the coaches aren't telling him daily to take those short runs and slide to protect himself. I can't discount the idea that zach is just an idiot. 

someone posted a video by Legar Douzable. we were at the 10 and Zach dropped back and there was a hole you could drive a Mac Truck thru. instead, he turned around and made a throw at the 20, 10 yards behind the LOS incomplete to Carter. and he had Conklin open in the flat if he threw it right away.

he doesnt like to run.... forward at least. my guess is he doesnt want to get hit.

cant help but think back to when @T0mShane was making fun of Zach for being out for 4 weeks when Herbert played with a broken whatever it was. you know what, you we right T0mShane. Zach is a P@ssy

59 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

cause he runs backwards all the time ?