Theories why the Jets aren’t calling designed runs for Wilson?

Matt39

7 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

No but he was a tough SOB and durable and Zach Wilson isn't.  Combine that with Wilson's lack of size and it would be silly to send him on designed runs when we can just direct snap to a RB or use Berrios in that role instead.  

Perhaps not designed runs, but coaching it in him to run forward and take the scramble opportunities. Some tough love in the film room might help with this. Every casual fan on his second and third pick were screaming "what the hell are you doing" at their tv's Sunday. This happens every week and it's not being corrected. Throwing him in harms way is the only way he's going to overcome this.

• Upvote 3

1 minute ago, Matt39 said:

Perhaps not designed runs, but coaching it in him to run forward and take the scramble opportunities. Some tough love in the film room might help with this. Every casual fan on his second and third pick were screaming "what the hell are you doing" at their tv's Sunday. This happens every week and it's not being corrected. Throwing him in harms way is the only way he's going to overcome this.

Any fan of any team screams that when their qb throws a bad int , this isn't unique to Zach or the Jets. 

12 minutes ago, 56mehl56 said:

Any fan of any team screams that when their qb throws a bad int , this isn't unique to Zach or the Jets. 

Yes, but I'd argue his have a unique mind numbing quality.  For 2 years we've heard about his arm strength and he throws a pick because he couldn't get the ball all the way out of bounds. The last one was into what appeared to be quadruple coverage. 

1 hour ago, Asymmetrical said:

Yes, but I'd argue his have a unique mind numbing quality.  For 2 years we've heard about his arm strength and he throws a pick because he couldn't get the ball all the way out of bounds. The last one was into what appeared to be quadruple coverage. 

Do you really think he got picked because he lacked arm strength. If you do I can't help you. 

3 minutes ago, 56mehl56 said:

Do you really think he got picked because he lacked arm strength. If you do I can't help you. 

The last pick was a combination of flat footed and sidearmed. Never seen anything like it before. It looked like he was throwing a frisbee. 

• Haha 2

13 hours ago, choon328 said:

He's got athleticism but he's not a QB you run designed runs with. Where he should be using his athleticism is when a play breaks down and he takes off but its hard to do that when instead of stepping up in the pocket you're moving backwards and drifting towards the sideline. He should be making a lot more plays with his feet in the passing game but his mechanics and nature are not allowing that to happen. 

I suppose the main thing to see is him stepping up in the pocket. Let’s see if he starts to at least do that more often naturally, because you can only be taught things like that so much and even though he hears it a lot from coaches and players like Flacco, he has to instinctively do it in the games. The pockets in many cases have the lanes, so he has to start using them and when moving up in them keep his eyes downfield and make plays. We have to support this kid to give him the best chance to succeed.

15 hours ago, Irish Jet said:

He’s not built like Fields. They don’t trust him to get up from hits imo.

At this point I don’t think that even matters - His passing isn’t an asset worth protecting so they should play to every strength he has.

I say use this strategy early and often