QB Opinions on Zach

4 minutes ago, choon328 said:

He's comparing him to Ryan Leaf bc of his mental makeup. Is he that far off? ZW got questioned about his poor performance and basically blamed the coaching staff and his WR's for not getting open when he runs directly to the sideline. 

Cmon. You start throwing out Leaf or Jamarcus Russell comparisions you are just trolling. 

• Upvote 2

5 hours ago, JiFapono said:

Also, and I cant find it but his walk back on Justin Fields right now, is unreal funny.  He doesnt even know how to compose himself as he's forced to admit that Fields is breaking out and by far the best of the class.  It's great. 

Fields is currently breaking out with his legs, not his arm.  He is alarmingly slow in reading defenses and getting rid of the ball.  He has a great arm and can run, but he is still struggling mightily with his passing.  

30 minutes ago, Paradis said:

Basically Zach Wilson doesn't nothing with his brain after the ball is snapped

#2 overall pick

Joe Douglas -- brother, you are the boss.  you can make that pick. Thing is, if you do, you'd better be right.

Micah freaking Parsons.  Jamarr Chase.  Penei Sewell.  Pat Surtain II.  Jaylen Wadde.  DeVonta Smith.  Fields (yeah, I said it).

Douglas could have traded back with the 9ers and gotten multiple legit ballers plus future 1st rounders to really set up this franchise to smash over the next 5 to 10 years.

So much freaking talent passed on for the Mountain West pocket fleer.

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 2

24 minutes ago, Gibby said:

Okay- this one is a bridge too far. Ryan Leaf? He needs work for sure- but no.

15 minutes ago, Mario said:

Cmon. You start throwing out Leaf or Jamarcus Russell comparisions you are just trolling. 

Not exactly. At the rate he is currently playing... he is most certainly making a moderately close comparison here. 

Wilson  - 18 games
291 of 525 (55.4%) for 3382 yards 12 TDs 16 INTs

Leaf - 25 games
315 of 655 (48.4%) for 3666 yards 14 TDs 36 INTs

We will see in about 7 more games. 

22 minutes ago, Mario said:

“It has some feeling of Ryan Leaf,” Dilfer said. “I’m not saying it is, but that was another red flag when he came out. Is he coachable? I think Daniel is the right guy in New York because he fits New York. I don’t know if Zach fits New York.”

1. Reading and hearing this type of thing *everywhere* the past two days—character stuff surrounding Zach Wilson. Cimini referenced it today on his podcast, Ryan Fitzpatrick calling it a “red flag” that they had to bring Zach’s personal QB coach in, and both Hughes and Rosenblatt used similar language re: arrogance and maturity in their post-game stuff. Clearly it’s been put into the atmosphere that there’s some sh*t there. One wonders if this is the stuff “behind the scenes” that Elijah Moore has been referring to. 

2. Wow, the dude who couldn’t earn a Captaincy at BYU and who grew up in a tiny Utah suburb might not be a fit in New York, playing for a moribund franchise that chews up QBs? Where did we hear that before?

• Upvote 4
  • Sympathy 1

5 minutes ago, Joe Willie White Shoes said:

Fields is currently breaking out with his legs, not his arm.  He is alarmingly slow in reading defenses and getting rid of the ball.  He has a great arm and can run, but he is still struggling mightily with his passing.  

No, the unfortunate truth is that he's doing both.  He's completing 68% of his passes over the last 4 games.  He's thrown for 5 TD's and 2 INT's (one a tipped pass).  He's also had an egregious amount of drops, the Bears lead the league.  It's hard to watch sometimes.  I've watched all the breakdowns, all the film, dude is figuring it out in the passing game.  He just has by far, the worst, skills players in the NFL.  Not even a close second.

• Upvote 2

14 minutes ago, Barry McCockinner said:

I feel like at this point it's not unreasonable to expect him to be making these sort of reads, especially on the first play of the game that has been scripted and run through many times.

What's going on here?

He can't play is the problem. He can't anticipate and make those reads in real time. Its not even complicated. The evidence is overwhelming.

It happens all the time. Those guys are out of the league or TC arms. Its why a guy can throw for 8000 yards in college and look like Zach in the NFL. 

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

1. Reading and hearing this type of thing *everywhere* the past two days—character stuff surrounding Zach Wilson. Cimini referenced it today on his podcast, Ryan Fitzpatrick calling it a “red flag” that they had to bring Zach’s personal QB coach in, and both Hughes and Rosenblatt used similar language re: arrogance and maturity in their post-game stuff. Clearly it’s been put into the atmosphere that there’s some sh*t there. One wonders if this is the stuff “behind the scenes” that Elijah Moore has been referring to. 

2. Wow, the dude who couldn’t earn a Captaincy at BYU and who grew up in a tiny Utah suburb might not be a fit in New York, playing for a moribund franchise that chews up QBs? Where did we hear that before?

I suspect Wilson gets preferential treatment that hasn’t been earned.

• Upvote 2
  • Thumb Down 1

4 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Three words for Joe Douglas - Go Get Gardner!

• Upvote 1

25 minutes ago, choon328 said:

He's comparing him to Ryan Leaf bc of his mental makeup. Is he that far off? ZW got questioned about his poor performance and basically blamed the coaching staff and his WR's for not getting open when he runs directly to the sideline. 

No he didn’t.  He said over and over again he needs to fix his issues and talked about his INTs as his mistakes.  

6 minutes ago, undertow said:

People continue to say "crazy talent" but there's tons of guys like this in college football with bad footwork, can't read the field, and have a ten cent head....I have no clue how Zach shot up the draft board over the rest but it should have been a red flag.

You can have a ten cent head and still be successful at QB if you naturally can make that instantaneous reads, or "ignore" the traffic around you and scan the field. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Paradis said:

He can't play is the problem. He can't anticipated and make those reads in real time. Its not even complicated. The evidence is overwhelming.

It happens all the time. Those guys are out of the league or TC arms. Its why a guy can throw for 8000 yards in college and look like Zach in the NFL. 

If Saleh has any sort of belief in Zach's future, he needs to sit him and save him from himself. Put in White (or trade for a QB), and if White or whoever struggles, they can potentially consider going back to Zach if we're out of playoff contention (I'd, personally, would like to see Streveler in that situation, but I know that wouldn't happen).

If the new QB plays well and leads us to the playoffs, then Zach will have a whole offseason and 2023 training camp to get better and win the starting job back.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Paradis said:

You can have a ten cent head and still be successful at QB if you naturally can make that instantaneous reads, or "ignore" the traffic around you and scan the field. 

Yeah I agree but was Wilson's tape really worthy of being the 2nd overall pick?  Or was he a guy who should have been taken later and sat on the bench for two or three years?

11 minutes ago, JoeNamathsFurCoat said:

#2 overall pick

Joe Douglas -- brother, you are the boss.  you can make that pick. Thing is, if you do, you'd better be right.

Micah freaking Parsons.  Jamarr Chase.  Penei Sewell.  Pat Surtain II.  Fields (yeah, I said it).

Douglas could have traded back with the 9ers and gotten multiple legit ballers.

So much freaking talent passed on for the Mountain West pocket fleer.

^^^This is it.  The Conspiracy Theorist tells me that the Johnsons were involved. 

In retrospect, the smart move here was to go another route and find a QB another way.  But the allure of a QB who can play on the rookie contract and be decent was too great.  

Zach does not look like he can play this game against a good defense.    The Jets have to be able to at least split with the Dolphins and Patriots to make the playoffs.   Zach has to be able to not throw 3 interceptions against a "ghost" defense.

3 minutes ago, Paradis said:

This. The QB position is less about intellectual brains, and more about how fast you can process in a high-stress situation.

Reacting > Thinking

• Upvote 1