Joe Douglas Mid Season Press Conference

kevinc855

6 minutes ago, doitny said:

i didnt watch this but i can tell you what he said cause they all say the same thing.

Zach is our QB.

are you happy with his play?

if you ask Zach he would tell you he was not happy.

Zach is our QB.

i just saved you 18 mins of your lives

twiddles GIF

What if I told you that not every question was about the QB?

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 2

8 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

In his previous 3 wins the QB did not turn it over and got ripped just as bad (at least on this site) for taking no chances.

We have a lot of dumb posters on this site. His previous 3 games were concerning to me, because he was game managing and still missing easy throws and running around like a dope.

It had nothing to do with taking chances, imo.

• Upvote 4
  • Thumb Down 1

47 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

twiddles GIF

What if I told you that not every question was about the QB?

thats the only one people care about. or do you care to have him tell you how happy he is with the direction of the team? of course he is happy.

or why he didnt make a trade today? cause he got no good offers. and im sure he said he was not going to trade Mims or Moore cause he didnt and he would never speak like that about a player still on the team.

they all do the same thing. Boone said you dont know how much Joey Gallo and his 170 avg is doing for the team. he does things you dont see. he is valuable. then gets traded 2 weeks later. Jamal Adams will be a Jet for life. gets traded a short time later. Sam Darnold is our QB, gets traded a short while later.

its all the same BS. JD and Saleh said they arent benching Zach, until they do in a few weeks if he still is playing bad. then they will come up with some more BS as to not hurt Zachs feelings by saying they just wanted to see if White could be a backup for next year or something like that. 

• Upvote 2

6 hours ago, doitny said:

thats the only one people care about. or do you care to have him tell you how happy he is with the direction of the team? of course he is happy.

or why he didnt make a trade today? cause he got no good offers. and im sure he said he was not going to trade Mims or Moore cause he didnt and he would never speak like that about a player still on the team.

they all do the same thing. Boone said you dont know how much Joey Gallo and his 170 avg is doing for the team. he does things you dont see. he is valuable. then gets traded 2 weeks later. Jamal Adams will be a Jet for life. gets traded a short time later. Sam Darnold is our QB, gets traded a short while later.

its all the same BS. JD and Saleh said they arent benching Zach, until they do in a few weeks if he still is playing bad. then they will come up with some more BS as to not hurt Zachs feelings by saying they just wanted to see if White could be a backup for next year or something like that. 

Mmmk.

my only point was that, by my count, 2 of the 16 total questions he was asked were about Zach Wilson. lol. Hence, despite your claims, people (i.e. the jets beat) do care about other aspects of the team. 

11 minutes ago, frankiepapa said:

Surprised to hear that avt and hall have not had their surgery yet but hopeful hearing that they'll be ready for camp

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

Not sure about AVT, but Hall likely has to prehab for his acl surgery. I believe that is common for acl surgeries.

• Upvote 1

12 hours ago, Integrity28 said:

We have a lot of dumb posters on this site. His previous 3 games were concerning to me, because he was game managing and still missing easy throws and running around like a dope.

It had nothing to do with taking chances, imo.

Yep. The concerning part is that it’s not just one issue.

• He lacks situational awareness of game management. Hence his risky plays during risk averse moments. 

• His footwork and timing are bad and as a result his ball placement is terrible

• He’s bailing on clean pockets and not rolling out in a way that makes sense with play design

•He’s not seeing open receivers underneath. It’s been like this almost every game he’s played. He goes for the lower percentage throw in lieu of higher percentage ones at too high a frequency. 

•He still whiffs on high percentage throws, though that has gotten better in recent weeks. 

The part I am disappointed by is that many of the issues seem coachable, so either the staff isn’t doing a good enough job with him or he’s not absorbing the coaching the way he should. 

13 hours ago, Beerfish said:

In his previous 3 wins the QB did not turn it over and got ripped just as bad (at least on this site) for taking no chances.

No. 

We suspected the reason they didn't want him taking chances is because it would backfire.

And it did. Because he is bad. Hiding your QB in the modern NFL is a not long term winning formula. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Jets Voice of Reason said:

• He lacks situational awareness of game management. Hence his risky plays during risk averse moments. 

• His footwork and timing are bad and as a result his ball placement is terrible

• He’s bailing on clean pockets and not rolling out in a way that makes sense with play design

•He’s not seeing open receivers underneath. It’s been like this almost every game he’s played. He goes for the lower percentage throw in lieu of higher percentage ones at too high a frequency. 

•He still whiffs on high percentage throws, though that has gotten better in recent weeks. 

The part I am disappointed by is that many of the issues seem coachable, so either the staff isn’t doing a good enough job with him or he’s not absorbing the coaching the way he should. 

Totally agree with your points. I would further argue that the 5th bullet is a function of some of the preceeding points.

And all those bullets are exactly why JD and coaches will die to defend him. Because it's at least possible those are coachable/experience related bullets. If you had a bullet that said "lacks arm strength or physical tools", then I think even the coaches would be raising the white flag.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Irish Jet said:

No. 

We suspected the reason they didn't want him taking chances is because it would backfire.

And it did. Because he is bad. Hiding your QB in the modern NFL is a not long term winning formula. 

People are still under the impression that Zach cleaning up a few throws is the only problem....I predict that we will win another 3 or 4 games this year by hiding Zach and we will still be having these arguments in the offseason....some people will think Zach played great because he threw 2 or 3 good balls a game and limited his INTs.

2 hours ago, Jets Voice of Reason said:

Out-of-market opinion about Zach is arriving on him being uncoachable: ego, hero/selfish, temperament (frustrated easily and impatient).

My Cutler comparison is not far off. A guy that always got by relying on his cannon arm, no head for the game, no patience for applied learning.

Hope it’s wrong.

10 minutes ago, Integrity28 said:

Out-of-market opinion about Zach is arriving on him being uncoachable: ego, hero/selfish, temperament (frustrated easily and impatient).

My Cutler comparison is not far off. A guy that always got by relying on his cannon arm, no head for the game, no patience for applied learning.

Hope it’s wrong.

I personally think it's a little bit of both sides.

When he says things like "I just got to get out of my head and throw it" - in reference to why he misses badly on short throws and "it gets tiring sometimes when nothing is open and I have to throw away", I would agree that he's not really accepting why those things are happening.

That being said, I still will never drop the fact that they don't hold QBs accountable enough the same way they do every other position on the field. Never had anybody that forced him to make improvements if he wanted playing time. Even this year, it's not even a question that he might get benched if he completely sh*ts the bed. There's supporting your guy through tough times and there is complete lack of consequences and I think the Jets have gone too overboard in that latter direction.

Obviously he's the guy. I'm not saying he's not the starter or anything. But what I'm saying is that something simple like I don't see clear indications that they are making him rep-out the footwork issues because of the high frequency that it keeps cropping up in game situations. So if early on in his career for instance they did something like he loses out on #1 reps unless he shows better consistency with it, it could've gotten a longer way that what has happened thus far.

1 hour ago, Jets Voice of Reason said:

I personally think it's a little bit of both sides.

When he says things like "I just got to get out of my head and throw it" - in reference to why he misses badly on short throws and "it gets tiring sometimes when nothing is open and I have to throw away", I would agree that he's not really accepting why those things are happening.

That being said, I still will never drop the fact that they don't hold QBs accountable enough the same way they do every other position on the field. Never had anybody that forced him to make improvements if he wanted playing time. Even this year, it's not even a question that he might get benched if he completely sh*ts the bed. There's supporting your guy through tough times and there is complete lack of consequences and I think the Jets have gone too overboard in that latter direction.

Obviously he's the guy. I'm not saying he's not the starter or anything. But what I'm saying is that something simple like I don't see clear indications that they are making him rep-out the footwork issues because of the high frequency that it keeps cropping up in game situations. So if early on in his career for instance they did something like he loses out on #1 reps unless he shows better consistency with it, it could've gotten a longer way that what has happened thus far.

Yep, I’m with you.