While we've been busy discussing the QB

AFJF

18 minutes ago, AFJF said:

I haven't seen much talk about the way Mims played on Sunday.  Made what may have been the best catch of the day on a ball that was so poorly overthrown that it carried him out of bounds but a fantastic grab nonetheless.   Then  of course had the 63-yard catch and run later in the game.  Was also open for some potentially big plays where Wilson didn't see him.  That and the block on the Hall TD run last week makes for the best we've seen out of him since his rookie year.  If Moore stays on the pine, look for Denzel to get more shots.

Very different player than we saw the last 6 games of last year.

no loafing when the ball is snapped. Seems engaged on every play.

whatever clicked - good for him

• Upvote 4

There could be something to the idea that Zach likes to throw to bigger WR when throwing to the boundary. That pass that Mims caught OB would not have been thrown with Moore.

Mims looks promising which is wild because we kind of wrote him off.

I want to see a trio of Wilson/Davis/Mims

• Upvote 1

Mims probably has the best skill set for contested plays in the boundary area on the team, and it’s a part of the passing game that’s been desperately missed. I don’t think he’s the answer to all of the problems, but an effective Mims is good for the offense. An X is definitely needed.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Greensleeves said:

If he can learn the offense well enough so the mental errors go away he can finally show his talent on the field. He's not quite there yet - .

Let's also keep in mind that he was an ascending talent in 2020, even with Darnold.

Really this "dark era" is LaFleur & Zach Wilson based. Just sayin.... (like i always have) that the Mims thing wasn't so unilaterally on him. 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Greensleeves said:

If he can learn the offense well enough so the mental errors go away he can finally show his talent on the field. He's not quite there yet - maybe the second half of the season if he gets more chances to play. Once Cory Davis comes back his playing time will go way down.

The fact that Mims makes mental errors probably has him and Zach on the same page. 

• Haha 1

He brings size and toughness to the wide receiver core so hope the coaching staff can continue to find a role for him in this offense.

Given the premium value that wide receivers command it is nothing but upside for the Jets at this point given his physical tools and talents.

He is also a more prototypical X which is still harder to find than the Y and Z.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, AFJF said:

I haven't seen much talk about the way Mims played on Sunday.  Made what may have been the best catch of the day on a ball that was so poorly overthrown that it carried him out of bounds but a fantastic grab nonetheless.   Then  of course had the 63-yard catch and run later in the game.  Was also open for some potentially big plays where Wilson didn't see him.  That and the block on the Hall TD run last week makes for the best we've seen out of him since his rookie year.  If Moore stays on the pine, look for Denzel to get more shots.

Mims we would hope eventually could replace Davis down the line. He has a ways to go though, but it is good to have WR depth at this point.

1 hour ago, undertow said:

Haven't been the biggest Mims fan but I feel 100 percent comfortable going forward with WIlson, Mims, Davis, and Berrios. into next year.

You do?  I like that group but I think we need more (possibly Moore though he might be a headcase).

I like GW (though I hope he's not thin-framed and potentially injury prone)

Davis has played well this year.

Mimsy it's still too early to say

Berrios hasn't really done as much as I would've hoped.  

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/B/BerrBr00.htm

image.png.fb1b6e05c28cbb3115d567415c88f9fe.png

2 hours ago, ChewyandtheJets said:

Posting for like the fourth time that if Zach Wilson had better field vision Mims easily has 150+ yards Sun.  Watch the all 22 it was gross negligence the opportunities that were there but missed.  

Watch the all 22 of Mahomes, Allen. Herbert etc and tell me this only happens to Zach. 

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, football guy said:

I know Mims has been inactive and I know that people love to cite his statistical output to date as evidence that he’s a bust, but this Jets administration is unorthodox. They honestly don’t care about stats and trends- they trust their eyes, trust their game plan, and trust how they define each role. The players are the puzzle pieces and it’s really a matter of figuring out whose capable of doing what job for certain plays/situations. 

Mims worked really hard this offseason on his route running, and despite limited target opportunities these past two games you can see that he’s running much smoother, more diverse routes. When you combine a more complete route tree with his athleticism and elite blocking ability, you have yourself a high upside starting caliber WR. The team really does believe he’s a starting caliber player in this league, and the main reason why they’ve been unwilling to deal him is because they feel he still can be a premier receiver for us eventually. 

Hi.  Excellent color as usual. 

are you worried about the number of open receivers in the all 22 with Zach?

is this any concern for the coaching staff?

thanks