Convince me

derp

1 minute ago, derp said:

Zach Wilson's struggles this season boil down to anything other than this.

When Clean:

69/95 (72.6%), 907 yards (9.5 YPA), 2 TD, 0 INT 

When Pressured:

9/47 (19.1%), 141 yards (3.0 YPA), 1 TD, 5 INT

Bonus: tell me how it gets fixed.

Note: before anyone says all quarterbacks struggle against pressure, know those are the worst numbers against pressure in the league (and by a pretty wide margin).

John Candy No GIF by Laff

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, derp said:

When Clean:

When Pressured:

9/47 (19.1%), 141 yards (3.0 YPA), 1 TD, 5 INT (Cimini's article today has it at 6/41 with one of the picks coming clean which would change the above numbers too, but we'll leave the better stats in for now)

Note: before anyone says all quarterbacks struggle against pressure, know those are the worst numbers against pressure in the league (and by a pretty wide margin).

No No No GIF

3 minutes ago, PS17 said:

You’d think this is the number one thing they’d be drilling into him during the week. Or maybe they are and he just won’t do it.

They must be. It's QBing 101. Darnold had the same problem.

Personally think ZW is scared and playing scared. Fight or flight. He flees. He's not always playing with his whole brain, only his reptilian brain.

He simply lacks the courage and fearlessness to step up into the pocket far too much. 

• Upvote 2

18 minutes ago, derp said:

When Clean:

When Pressured:

9/47 (19.1%), 141 yards (3.0 YPA), 1 TD, 5 INT (Cimini's article today has it at 6/41 with one of the picks coming clean which would change the above numbers too, but we'll leave the better stats in for now)

I see you're conveniently leaving out the "explosive plays" stat.

smdh

1 minute ago, Vader said:

They must be. It's QBing 101. Darnold had the same problem.

Personally think ZW is scared and playing scared. Fight or flight. He flees. He's not always playing with his whole brain, only his reptilian brain.

He simply lacks the courage and fearlessness to step up into the pocket far too much. 

While this is certainly possible, its also quite possible that he doesnt know or trust what he is seeing enough to step into the pocket and throw it. You think BB was just showing him standard easy reads? Or do you think BB was confusing the sh*t out of him? 

#1  He has to run more.  You MUST make teams pay for their pressure packages and the successful guys, mahommes, allen, lamar, hurts etc all run when they have to and at times when they do not have to.  He got hurt on a fluke play after a  run so now he and the team are run shy.  huge mistake.

#2 Two TES, yeah this pisses off WRs but we went out and got TES and are now not using them enough.

• Upvote 4

26 minutes ago, derp said:

When Clean:

When Pressured:

This is a good way of looking at. I think the one hypothesis I'd make is that the "being pressured" metric is a combination of O-line giving up pressure and Zach holding the ball too long on a play or making a bad decision. So the part he controls and why he might be so much worse than others is that he makes really detrimental decisions in low-leverage spots. (i.e. not giving up on plays and trying to force action when it's not there)

Being a data guy, I'd be curious of adding a secondary dimension across the pressured statline of average time Zach held onto the ball. Would also be curious at the sack and QB hit metric of those snaps as well.

• Upvote 2

31 minutes ago, Flea Flicking Frank said:

While this is certainly possible, its also quite possible that he doesnt know or trust what he is seeing enough to step into the pocket and throw it. You think BB was just showing him standard easy reads? Or do you think BB was confusing the sh*t out of him? 

My understanding of the offense -- regardless of QB -- is that there is generally a max of two reads: a primary and secondary read. That's it.

Maybe im wrong but this offense isn't designed to be a scan the field and go through multiple progressions. It's more WCO timing patterns. 

I think BB covered the guys meant to get the ball. And that wasn't hard. Our #1 Offensive weapon was out -- Breece Hall; our #1 WR was out -- Corey Davis; our OL was in shambles; Elijah Moore played but the OC refused to make him read on any play.

ZW again had no running game, pass rushers coming down the pike, and his WRs were covered a whole bunch. He mostly threw the ball away and two of his INTs seemed to be underthrown "throwaways."

1 hour ago, derp said:

When Clean:

When Pressured:

listen qbs in the nfl get pressured A LOT!!!! if you can't make plays under pressure then you aren't capable of being a nfl quarterback

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1

1 hour ago, derp said:

When Clean:

When Pressured:

Can't answer this without knowing the criteria for "pressure".  Are they including the plays where Zach has a chance to step up in the pocket to make a throw but turns and runs anyway, leading to defenders breaking free and chasing him down?

• Upvote 2

48 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

That was the plan and it was working.  Then Breece Hall got hurt. 

Can't depend on a RB's health for your QB to succeed in this league.  Adapt or die.

That said, Douglas acquired James Robinson for a reason.  The Carter/Robinson/Ty Johnson trio can't replicate Breece Hall's explosiveness, but they can certainly combine for 25+ touches without issue now that Robinson is basically acclimated.

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, AFJF said:

Can't answer this without knowing the criteria for "pressure".  Are they including the plays where Zach has a chance to step up in the pocket to make a throw but turns and runs anyway, leading to defenders breaking free and chasing him down?

Given I found two different (but very similar) sets of numbers I think you have to acknowledge that there’s a degree of subjectivity but it’s possible to discuss the idea within the conceptual paradigm of excellent when kept clean, worst in the league when pressured.