Ken O’Brien 1985

Mario

18 minutes ago, Bronx said:

The difference is that Ken actually steps-up to the pocket and Zach runs endlessly.

Kenny “The Statue” O’Brien stepping up in the pocket was actually him scrambling forward to cross the LOS for a gain; he had cement blocks for feet 

but he COULD throw it Deep!

BA22AB6F-024A-4DD4-8AD2-0E4F2C9BA75B.gif.f4d63106296ff0932479093e6bf6a6e9.gif

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Trotter said:

Wait a minute - we want rich kotite?

well there is truth to when you think you hit rock bottom with the jets - you can always go lower

Rich was a great offensive coordinator. One of the best in franchise history. 

• Upvote 1
  • WTF? 2
  • Haha 2

34 minutes ago, Mario said:

This is what I want to see this offense become. Screw LaFleur and the Shannahan system. I want EXPLOSIVES! Saleh should call Rich Kotite because this is the skillset Zach has! 

Zach has a strong arm like Kenny O. Garrett is fast like Wesley Walker. 

So let's re-write history.  I could post the highlight films of Sanchez and Wilson and they would be impressive.  Please post the video of KOB's playoff victory performances.

I liked KOB but he was a limited QB in a division against Marino and Kelly.   

• Upvote 4

6 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Remarkable that there are people who call Vinny, Chad Pennington or Mark Sanchez the 2nd best QB in franchise history.  It was Ken O'Brien and it wasn't particularly close. 

Yeah, he had excellent receivers.  He still got it to them.  QB's shouldn't really be "penalized" for having weppinz.  

It's also not really his fault that he wasn't Marino.  

Playoff runs have to be a factor…… that hurts KOB.    

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Mario said:

This is what I want to see this offense become. Screw LaFleur and the Shannahan system. I want EXPLOSIVES! Saleh should call Rich Kotite because this is the skillset Zach has! 

No one is as fast as Wesley Walker

• Upvote 4

4 minutes ago, southparkcpa said:

Playoff runs have to be a factor…… that hurts KOB.    

A factor that closes the gap a bit, but not enough to remove KOB from the # 2 spot at all for me.  If playoff runs are THAT big of a factor, then Trent Dilfer is supremely underrated and Dan Marino is supremely overrated.  I don't think either of those statements are true.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

A factor that closes the gap a bit, but not enough to remove KOB from the # 2 spot at all for me.  If playoff runs are THAT big of a factor, then Trent Dilfer is supremely underrated and Dan Marino is supremely overrated.  I don't think either of those statements are true.

Im not a KOB fan but his tenure was strong here so I’m ok with the #2 spot for him.  

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, 92ShaunEllis92 said:

Kenny “The Statue” O’Brien stepping up in the pocket was actually him scrambling forward to cross the LOS for a gain; he had cement blocks for feet 

but he COULD throw it Deep!

BA22AB6F-024A-4DD4-8AD2-0E4F2C9BA75B.gif.f4d63106296ff0932479093e6bf6a6e9.gif

I was at this game, oh what a game!!

• Upvote 2

That play to Al Toon was crazy.  Toon looks like a guy nowadays playing back then.  HE could have been the greatest ever if not for getting hung out to dry by Kenny.  And as a fellow O'Brien I was always super cool with having a guy with my name as the QB of the Jets, even if he did drive me nuts as a kid.  Once again another time the Jets had everything but a great QB to take them over the top to a Super Bowl...

• Upvote 2

15 minutes ago, Origen said:

That play to Al Toon was crazy.  Toon looks like a guy nowadays playing back then.  HE could have been the greatest ever if not for getting hung out to dry by Kenny.  And as a fellow O'Brien I was always super cool with having a guy with my name as the QB of the Jets, even if he did drive me nuts as a kid.  Once again another time the Jets had everything but a great QB to take them over the top to a Super Bowl...

He was a man against boys. Loved Toon and wished he could have played longer. Still my second favorite to Namath of course.  Remember him holding out as a rookie. Jets wouldn’t pay up because “wide receiver isn’t an impact position”. 

• Upvote 2

7 hours ago, Mario said:

Ken O’Brein owes Al Toon a brain.

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, Ken Schroy said:

Dude, That was a Joe Walton coached team that Kenny O played for. Kotite didn't come along until 1995 and he was a disaster.

Had to look up to confirm, but Kotite was the offensive coordinator.   He was pretty good as an OC, absolute trash as HC.

19 minutes ago, SuicidalSince98 said:

I agree with this premise. Our offense is an over complicated joke 

Your comparing apples and banana’s.

Kenny o was a pocket passer who threw an accurate long ball.

zach is not that type of qb. The sample we have so far is his effectiveness comes from either quick strike 10 yard pass or rpo.

he does not sit or step up on the pocket to give a receiver time to execute a bomb.

and while I have absolutely no authority around here nor should I the mention of kotite in any positive manner in any thread should be a bannable offense. 

25 minutes ago, Trotter said:

Your comparing apples and banana’s.

Kenny o was a pocket passer who threw an accurate long ball.

zach is not that type of qb. The sample we have so far is his effectiveness comes from either quick strike 10 yard pass or rpo.

he does not sit or step up on the pocket to give a receiver time to execute a bomb.

and while I have absolutely no authority around here nor should I the mention of kotite in any positive manner in any thread should be a bannable offense. 

The kid threw a ton of long balls in college. MLF has neutered him, and Yes Rich Kotite was a better offensive coordinator than MLF. 

• Upvote 1

There is one major problem with trying to substitute Zach Wilson for Ken O’Brien in the same offense Ken O’Brien played in . . . Kenny O’Brien actually led the league with the lowest interception percentage in the first couple of years of his career and was considered a very accurate passer (for both short & long passes). For example Ken O’Brien never threw a interception when he was trying to throw the ball out of bounds like Zach just did on Sunday.

Yes, Zach does seem to be the most accurate when he is throwing the bomb like Ken O’Brien did a lot to Wesley Walker (especially in Miami games back then), but Ken O’Brien had a very accurate short passing game which Zach has not shown that he has to this point.

13 hours ago, Bronx said:

The difference is that Ken actually steps-up to the pocket and Zach runs endlessly.

This is the biggest fault Zac has, and he doesn't seem to learn.  The other thing that is blatantly apparent is his inability to throw short to intermediate passes accurately.  I personally think he has every tool in the box to be a star quarterback but he's useless until he pulls his head out of his ass and decides not to retreat when he should be stepping up into the pocket or falling down and taking the sack.  I also feel like there should be some designed runs for him (even with the knee injury) but I haven't seen any of that.  On the plays where he actually rolls out or is throwing on the run he has been pretty productive.  I don't understand why it's so hard to understand that when you drop back and are pressured you step up or you go down if the pressure is too hard.  I get he's a gamer but that sh*t is killing the team and causes losses.  I'm glad they're giving him the season to figure it out but if not he needs to be replaced with a competent veteran.  Enough of this draft the new FQB every year sh*t... the team will be ready to roll next year.

• Post of the Week 1

3 minutes ago, Sonny Werblin said:

KOB is the only QB with a winning record vs. Marino. I would add that KOB also has the same number of SB victories as Marino and Kelly combined.

That's awesome... only a JET fan could so eloquently put KOB on the same pedestal as 2 first ballot HOFers.  

I liked KOB too.  Well done sir. :)

• Upvote 3