Ken O’Brien 1985

Mario

13 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Remarkable that there are people who call Vinny, Chad Pennington or Mark Sanchez the 2nd best QB in franchise history.  It was Ken O'Brien and it wasn't particularly close. 

Yeah, he had excellent receivers.  He still got it to them.  QB's shouldn't really be "penalized" for having weppinz.  

It's also not really his fault that he wasn't Marino.  

This is absolute truth. I have watched for over 50 years and agree. Easily our best offensive period of time as well. 

• Upvote 1

30 minutes ago, Sonny Werblin said:

Namath could knock a dingleberry off the ass of a tick riding a pronghorn antelope from 40 yards.  He had the greatest accuracy plus anticipation of any QB ever to play the game.  

Thank you!

Those who didn't see Namath play are caught in the era FF is fantasia....

The fact that Namath threw for over 4000 yards (1967) in an era when the RB was king (Jim Brown retired in 1966), when we are now begging our current "star" QB to throw for 2500 yards in a 17-game season is all you need ever know!  

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Sonny Werblin said:

Namath could knock a dingleberry off the ass of a tick riding a pronghorn antelope from 40 yards.  He had the greatest accuracy plus anticipation of any QB ever to play the game.  

JN fast release and strong arm.  He did have great ball placement on long throws, but not good completion percentage.  He was a gambler/gunslinger.  I think JN's best attribute was a great understanding of what was going on in the game.  A self contained offense in one dude.  QB skills and OC brain.  Also a very good locker room and huddle guy.  Did good scoring after hours too.  

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

6 minutes ago, THE BARON said:

JN fast release and strong arm.  He did have great ball placement on long throws, but not good completion percentage.  He was a gambler/gunslinger.  I think JN's best attribute was a great understanding of what was going on in the game.  A self contained offense in one dude.  QB skills and OC brain.  Also a very good locker room and huddle guy.  Did good scoring after hours too.  

Yeah I wonder how many of these guys could call their own game in the huddle nowadays?  They should make that a new rule, it would certainly make the team play to the players abilities instead of to some guy who was a GA in college's dreams up in the skybox...

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Origen said:

Yeah I wonder how many of these guys could call their own game in the huddle nowadays?  They should make that a new rule, it would certainly make the team play to the players abilities instead of to some guy who was a GA in college's dreams up in the skybox...

This is a very interesting idea about making the players call the game!  Sort of extending the shutting down the mike that they do in college.

• Upvote 1

18 hours ago, Mario said:

This is what I want to see this offense become. Screw LaFleur and the Shannahan system. I want EXPLOSIVES! Saleh should call Rich Kotite because this is the skillset Zach has! 

Zach has a strong arm like Kenny O. Garrett is fast like Wesley Walker. 

This is how I got hooked way back. Thank you for posting. Brought me back

1986 was their year - 10-1 to start and then everyone got hurt. We had the NY Sack Exchange on D - too bad we lost so many players after that start and didn't even win the division. Some came back in time for the playoffs, only to lose that excruciating 2OT game to the Browns after Gastineau's roughing the passer penalty. It was a really late hit too, not a ref making a bad call.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

I see this thread has a lot of old timers like me on it who actually got to watch Joe Willie back in 1968 season win us our one and only Super Bowl! 

It is hard to explain to my own kids (& my grandkids now) how special Joe Namath was back in 1968 compared to most of the QBs in the league at that time. 

It has been tough to watch a lot of our QB's we drafted after Broadway Joe . . . but Ken O'Brien, Chad Pennington, and even Mark Sanchez all brought us to the playoffs in their 1st or 2nd year. If Zach gets us to the playoffs this year (even as a wildcard), I think I could take a lot more on faith in regard to waiting for him to develop his passing accuracy and having to watch him throw interceptions just trying to throw the ball out of bounds.