Jump to content

So, does Jermaine Johnson suck?


Facts
 Share

Recommended Posts

4 hours ago, BornJetsFan1983 said:

He is literally the best pass rusher we have drafted in about forever

By what freaking metric? Just cause the other pass rushers we have drafted suck worse?

Even when healthy he was only on the field for 25% to 30% of the snaps, and he only has 1 sack, and not many pressures.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, jetspenguin said:

It's remarkable that you have been able to do something that I have never seen. .

You got everyone to agree on one thing.

You suck

Sent from the NY Jets /Zack Wilson Suicide Watch desk.
 

Know what usually happens when everyone agrees?


it usually means they’re wrong.

  • Thumb Down 2
  • Sympathy 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I wasnt too high on this draft choice either. I think some fans here saying he's played "great" are reaching.
He played fairy well, I will say. He's definitely shown he's not a Vernon Gholston with zero pass rush moves.
That being said, Huff seems to get more consistent pressures on the QB. 
JJ has shown he will be at bare minimum... a solid pro... ala Pace. Give him a solid off season of strength training and you never know ... Could get better. He was never going to be Lawrence Taylor.

Kid has not been a disappointment.


Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

  • Upvote 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Yeah i’ve rolled my eyes quite a few times while reading the posts about him playing “great” before injury.
I agree he doesn't seem to be a huge game changer .. but you need the stalwart steady guys even more sometimes.

I never ever thought he was Aaron Donald or Von Miller game wreckers.

Solid pro the can be counted on was always my view.

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, kdels62 said:

As someone who really didn’t care Jermaine Johnson when we drafted him, I think he’s been solid especially agains the run. 

I'm in the same boat. Neither of us were high on him, but he's been better than I expected. I don't think he's every going to be a consistent double digit sack guy, but I think he will be a consisten 8-10 sack guy who defends the run well and I'm more than happy with that if they pair him with a "bendier" DE on the other side. 

  • Upvote 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, maury77 said:

I'm in the same boat. Neither of us were high on him, but he's been better than I expected. I don't think he's every going to be a consistent double digit sack guy, but I think he will be a consisten 8-10 sack guy who defends the run well and I'm more than happy with that if they pair him with a "bendier" DE on the other side. 

I said the guy is gonna be a Bryan Thomas type of player which is great for 25 overall and perfectly fine with Carl Lawson, Bryce Huff, JFM, Quinnen doing pass rush damage around him.

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 hours ago, Facts said:

Tell that to the head coach.

"Rookies, uh, when they come into the league there is a lot of stuff going on with these men... With Jermaine, we have had a very deep defensive line. If its not 100% crisp, and this is for all them, they all deserve to play, then were going to roll with the guys that can" - Saleh on JJ

Sounds perfectly reasonable and sound thinking. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 11/4/2022 at 10:31 AM, Facts said:

I said on draft day I thought this was a terrible pick and there was a reason that teams let him slide (and the Jets should have kept letting him slide).

Now he’s not even active for big games like the Patriots and Saleh said it’s partly due to “football” reasons.

Why do you post here? Is it your fan base is boring... Or do you just love to troll this site? 

Either way this site doesn't need you... 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

25 minutes ago, Reasonable Jets Fan said:

Why do you post here? Is it your fan base is boring... Or do you just love to troll this site? 

Either way this site doesn't need you... 

Odd question considering:

1) I've been a member here longer than you.

2) Have more posts than you (and have a higher reputation).

3) Have been a Jets fan longer than you.

4) Huh?

  • Thumb Down 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, Facts said:

Odd question considering:

1) I've been a member here longer than you.

2) Have more posts than you (and have a higher reputation).

3) Have been a Jets fan longer than you.

4) Huh?

None of which makes your JJ take on point.  
So there’s that.

  • Upvote 1
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 11/4/2022 at 8:31 AM, Facts said:

I said on draft day I thought this was a terrible pick and there was a reason that teams let him slide (and the Jets should have kept letting him slide).

Now he’s not even active for big games like the Patriots and Saleh said it’s partly due to “football” reasons.

Paying a lot of attention, are you?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 11/4/2022 at 10:31 AM, Facts said:

I said on draft day I thought this was a terrible pick and there was a reason that teams let him slide (and the Jets should have kept letting him slide).

Now he’s not even active for big games like the Patriots and Saleh said it’s partly due to “football” reasons.

You also in the Zach sucks crowd?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Facts said:

Know what usually happens when everyone agrees?


it usually means they’re wrong.

You are an objectively terrible poster. Trying to defend yourself by yelling nonsense at us and saying the entire planet is wrong isn't going to change that fact.  

Just do better next time. 

Thanks,

Entire Planet

  • Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1
  • Haha 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 11/4/2022 at 10:31 AM, Facts said:

I said on draft day I thought this was a terrible pick and there was a reason that teams let him slide (and the Jets should have kept letting him slide).

Now he’s not even active for big games like the Patriots and Saleh said it’s partly due to “football” reasons.

Awe!!!  Is someone looking for some praise,  here you go....

 

I Got You Good Job GIF by JMatt

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Sammybighead said:

You are an objectively terrible poster. Trying to defend yourself by yelling nonsense at us and saying the entire planet is wrong isn't going to change that fact.  

Just do better next time. 

Thanks,

Entire Planet

Lol

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 11/4/2022 at 11:34 AM, Beerfish said:

He doesn't suck and the reason he was out was documented.

HOWEVER....

It does show that this scheme though improved still gives too few snaps to their guys due to over rotation.  Thus you have to wonder if it is worth it for you to let the coach talk you into trading up for such players?

If I am Douglas I am thinking, Saleh talked me into trading up for JJ o draft day ad I was happy to do so.  He gets like 25% of the snaps or some such thing.

Well do also keep in mind that the prior year the only edge/end who played all year was JFM (whose contributions became questionable from October onward, and who isn't a true pass rushing speedster off the edge in the first place). They didn't know what was going to be with him. Nor with Huff, who couldn't stay on the field either. Nor with Lawson, who not only missed the whole prior season but wasn't exactly Gehrig/Ripken before that. 

As a rookie, with this depth there's no need to have him out there 70% of the time. He can be eased in, earning snaps rather than having them handed to him because of draft position and/or extreme positional need, and tbh they do (generally) seem less winded as the game goes on -- particularly when we consider how quickly the offense gets right off the field (even more so since losing Hall). So I don't hate the DL rotation as much as you do.  

I think as long as Saleh & other coaches are satisfied with JJ enough to rely upon him more next year, then his presence on the roster - plus Clemons as well - will make at least one of the Lawson/JFM duo expendable heading into the '23 FA/draft periods. More likely Lawson imo, but we'll see. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Well do also keep in mind that the prior year the only edge/end who played all year was JFM (whose contributions became questionable from October onward, and who isn't a true pass rushing speedster off the edge in the first place). They didn't know what was going to be with him. Nor with Huff, who couldn't stay on the field either. Nor with Lawson, who not only missed the whole prior season but wasn't exactly Gehrig/Ripken before that. 

As a rookie, with this depth there's no need to have him out there 70% of the time. He can be eased in, earning snaps rather than having them handed to him because of draft position and/or extreme positional need, and tbh they do (generally) seem less winded as the game goes on -- particularly when we consider how quickly the offense gets right off the field (even more so since losing Hall). So I don't hate the DL rotation as much as you do.  

I think as long as Saleh & other coaches are satisfied with JJ enough to rely upon him more next year, then his presence on the roster - plus Clemons as well - will make at least one of the Lawson/JFM duo expendable heading into the '23 FA/draft periods. More likely Lawson imo, but we'll see. 

WE TRADED UP IN THE FIRST ROUND TO GET THIS GUY.

When you do that you are looking for an immediate difference maker, not some developmental prospect like a Clemons.

If we were so stacked at Dline then you do not trade up to get a pass rusher.

I like the player, I think he has played pretty good when given the chance this year.  The pick has he hall marks of rex ryan running the show draft day.

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Facts said:

You joined two months ago. I joined two years ago.

I have a reputation of +700. You are barely at +100.

I watched the Jets win a SB. You are likely mid-20’s.

 

And yet somehow your ice cold JJ take is worse than any of the takes the other guy has

  • Upvote 1
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, Facts said:

You joined two months ago. I joined two years ago.

I have a reputation of +700. You are barely at +100.

I watched the Jets win a SB. You are likely mid-20’s.

 

Guy, it doesn't matter if you're 170 years old, watched namath's mother give birth to him and hung out with Noah on his yacth. 

You're wrong. 

In limited time, JJ has done well. And even if he didn't, he's played 4 games into his rookie year! Other than a few extreme situations, you can't determine a rookie is a stud or a bust. I think we're seeing a rare situation this year play out with sauce we're we may be able to say he's a star already. But these snap judgements over a few games in a rookie year generally cannot be made. You are wrong. Stop it. Age and credentials don't make you right.

  • Post of the Week 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...