So, does Jermaine Johnson suck?

Facts

6 hours ago, Facts said:

You joined two months ago. I joined two years ago.

I have a reputation of +700. You are barely at +100.

I watched the Jets win a SB. You are likely mid-20’s.

What the hell is Reputation and why does it matter?

Edit: oh now I know and I care even less.

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 2

17 hours ago, Beerfish said:

WE TRADED UP IN THE FIRST ROUND TO GET THIS GUY.

When you do that you are looking for an immediate difference maker, not some developmental prospect like a Clemons.

If we were so stacked at Dline then you do not trade up to get a pass rusher.

I like the player, I think he has played pretty good when given the chance this year.  The pick has he hall marks of rex ryan running the show draft day.

I don't know how much I agree with the bolded part, or any of this rationale tbh (though it's fine for us to disagree). Top 5 in the first round? Yes you expect instant fulltime starter. First round outright? Meh, especially when they have other starters.

Some of the best QBs in the league were developmental 1st round picks who were outright/fully benched as rookies. Rodgers & Mahomes off the top of my head. Plus you're effectively equating him as being developmental with some project who has no business on the field. You definitely take developmental talents in round 1; you don't take total projects that early. Plus the reason he's not on the field is they have enough rookies starting and DL is easy/common to rotate frequently anyway (unlike QB, OL, etc.). 

There are other prospects who are more pro ready but their post-rookie ceiling is lower. Those picks get more immediate satisfaction; the ones who don't reach their peak already as rookies often have a higher bust potential. Both types are legitimate first rounders, because the ones who you know (or think you know) to be both aren't there in the 20s; they go in the top 10 (if not top 5) depending on the class strength.

The thing is you're starting with a premise - "if we were so stacked at Dline..." - that they didn't know at that time. You now know Huff wasn't going to be on midseason IR in October. You now know the results of Lawson's rehab. You now know they were going to land yet another worthwhile end in round 4. You now know that JFM isn't still sleepwalking through his post-contract games week after week. You now know this team is better QB play (and a couple more OL injuries) away from being no less of a contender than most others.

You are, in short, operating with a benefit of hindsight that the team didn't have at the time. Also I'm not going to get all bent out of shape over the trade-up to get him. The team had plenty of draft picks; I don't know how many more rookies any coach/coordinator wants on the field at the same time anyway. I'm good with them moving up when they have so many picks. I'd like them to hit on them if they're going to trade up, of course, but I'd be more annoyed if they were passive and missed someone who - in hindsight - we all complain we could/should have traded up to get instead.

The Vikings didn't need Randy Moss either. Nor the Giants with JPP. Nor any number of guys whom their teams felt were special enough to draft in round 1 even if it didn't fill an immediate hole. The draft isn't free agency; it's a more long-term acquisition.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1
  • Post of the Week 1

10 hours ago, Hex said:

What is this thread about?

Saleh saying JJ was a healthy scratch last week because he is a rookie and is having a tough time and is not crisp in his playing and he’s not going to start until he is because it’s not fair to the other D-linemen.

• WTF? 1

11 hours ago, GangGreen Machine said:

Prepare Season 7 GIF by Game of Thrones
get him, boys

Yep.

Except mobs don’t bother me. The more people disagree with my opinion, the more steadfast that I am correct. Society is collectively stupid. Ride the D train and you’ll see what I mean:

• Thumb Down 2

14 minutes ago, Facts said:

Yep.

Except mobs don’t bother me. The more people disagree with my opinion, the more steadfast that I am correct. Society is collectively stupid. Ride the D train and you’ll see what I mean:

And you're here to save society from itself. Great. Delusional much?

Can we please lock this thread already?

1 hour ago, Facts said:

Saleh saying JJ was a healthy scratch last week because he is a rookie and is having a tough time and is not crisp in his playing and he’s not going to start until he is because it’s not fair to the other D-linemen.

That is not wrong for the most part, but it's also not what the threads about, silly. You started the thread to say that Jermaine Johnson sucks, which is wrong. In the games he played he exceeded expectations, but he hasn't been playing because the DL has been doing terrific anyways. There is no way of knowing if he sucks or not 4 games into his career when he has played better than most expected. 

38 minutes ago, Hex said:

That is not wrong for the most part, but it's also not what the threads about, silly. You started the thread to say that Jermaine Johnson sucks, which is wrong. In the games he played he exceeded expectations, but he hasn't been playing because the DL has been doing terrific anyways. There is no way of knowing if he sucks or not 4 games into his career when he has played better than most expected. 

Uh, no, the thread is about Saleh's comment. IT was the entire point.

On 11/4/2022 at 10:31 AM, Facts said:

I said on draft day I thought this was a terrible pick and there was a reason that teams let him slide (and the Jets should have kept letting him slide).

Now he’s not even active for big games like the Patriots and Saleh said it’s partly due to “football” reasons.

Stop.   Just stop.

• Haha 1