So, does Jermaine Johnson suck?

Facts

On 11/4/2022 at 10:31 AM, Facts said:

I said on draft day I thought this was a terrible pick and there was a reason that teams let him slide (and the Jets should have kept letting him slide).

Now he’s not even active for big games like the Patriots and Saleh said it’s partly due to “football” reasons.

Where is your sorry ass when Josh Allen got run down by JJ... 

Freaking bill trolls... Die and disappear now that the Jets are not the punching bag they once were

• Upvote 1
  • More Ugh 2

3 hours ago, Reasonable Jets Fan said:

Literally in the game thread celebrating you dumb ****.

E91CC4CD-76C2-44D2-A256-88E127490E84.thumb.jpeg.15c2394cf0b1ea30ee457907ad3d9188.jpeg

61EAD6C7-940E-4271-8C95-74B9BEB00828.thumb.jpeg.d12210baf58b3270f07a4c5e343c090c.jpeg

3 hours ago, Reasonable Jets Fan said:

Freaking bill trolls... Die and disappear now that the Jets are not the punching bag they once were

Did this troll just call me a Bills troll? The rare double troll entendre? Blocked!

• Ugh 1
  • Haha 3

11 hours ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Seems a bit early to make that judgment. He’s already got a few sacks in barely over 50 pass rush snaps all year. As a rookie. 

He is also in the rotation as more of a run stuffer, as he has been playing that role so well this season.

6 games.   2.5 sacks.   3 TFL, 13 tackles.

If he has 7 sacks and 10 TFL as a rookie, playing in a rotation, that is a very  solid rookie season.

• Upvote 4

5 minutes ago, chirorob said:

He is also in the rotation as more of a run stuffer, as he has been playing that role so well this season.

6 games.   2.5 sacks.   3 TFL, 13 tackles.

If he has 7 sacks and 10 TFL as a rookie, playing in a rotation, that is a very  solid rookie season.

He's a rich man's calvin pace. Said that before the draft, that's what I saw looking at him. Maybe he's not a 15 sack guy, but 10 sacks, impeccable run D, immovable at the edge. 

• Upvote 2

On 11/4/2022 at 10:31 AM, Facts said:

I said on draft day I thought this was a terrible pick and there was a reason that teams let him slide (and the Jets should have kept letting him slide).

Now he’s not even active for big games like the Patriots and Saleh said it’s partly due to “football” reasons.

one thing that's becoming clear....u dont know crap about the draft lol

• Upvote 1

If JJ was our sole 1st rounder I think we'd all agree he would be checking the box for a first round player. He obviously isn't a star yet or even a major impact player, but he's done well for his limited snaps and the hope is he continues to improve. Look at the other edges in the class

Walker - 3 sacks - 61.8 pff rating - 50.6 pass rush rating 

Hutchinson - 5 sacks (several of them were clean up but whatver) - 66.2 pff rating and 63.6 pass rush 

KT - 1 sack (played the least to be fair) - 63.3 grade and 64.6 pass rush 

Karalaftis - 1 sack 41.7 pff grade - 54.3 pass rush 

JJ - 2 sacks (not updated yet) - 72.7 pff grade - 58.8 pass rush 

He is playing like a rookie but still graded the highest and has played way less reps than all of the above (including KT) 

We've been spoiled with guys like Sauce and Breece and GW - most rookies don't come in and become top guys at their position in the first half of their first year. I think JJ will be just fine. Time will tell whether he is just solid or can be more than that but he has proven already he isn't a bust and I think fans should be encouraged with what they saw. As others have said - while he didn't win that rep for his sack yesterday his closing speed is legit - I thought he'd have no chance to catch Allen on that angle let alone bring him down. Really impressive play. 

• Sympathy 1

51 minutes ago, Sammybighead said:

He's a rich man's calvin pace. Said that before the draft, that's what I saw looking at him. Maybe he's not a 15 sack guy, but 10 sacks, impeccable run D, immovable at the edge. 

That is a very solid pick in the 20s in the draft.

8-10 sacks and plays the run well.   That is just fine.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

1 hour ago, Columbia Jet Fan said:

If JJ was our sole 1st rounder I think we'd all agree he would be checking the box for a first round player. He obviously isn't a star yet or even a major impact player, but he's done well for his limited snaps and the hope is he continues to improve. Look at the other edges in the class

Walker - 3 sacks - 61.8 pff rating - 50.6 pass rush rating 

Hutchinson - 5 sacks (several of them were clean up but whatver) - 66.2 pff rating and 63.6 pass rush 

KT - 1 sack (played the least to be fair) - 63.3 grade and 64.6 pass rush 

Karalaftis - 1 sack 41.7 pff grade - 54.3 pass rush 

JJ - 2 sacks (not updated yet) - 72.7 pff grade - 58.8 pass rush 

He is playing like a rookie but still graded the highest and has played way less reps than all of the above (including KT) 

We've been spoiled with guys like Sauce and Breece and GW - most rookies don't come in and become top guys at their position in the first half of their first year. I think JJ will be just fine. Time will tell whether he is just solid or can be more than that but he has proven already he isn't a bust and I think fans should be encouraged with what they saw. As others have said - while he didn't win that rep for his sack yesterday his closing speed is legit - I thought he'd have no chance to catch Allen on that angle let alone bring him down. Really impressive play. 

he was also always projected to be better against the run early in his career....which is why he fell to 26 or whatever it was. Those that follow the draft are much more connected in their expectations for first year players.

On 11/6/2022 at 9:38 AM, jgb said:

Overdrafted doesn’t mean the same thing as “suck.” I think he’s a Lawson clone. Pressure but no sacks.

He's had a couple of really nice sacks in a very limited number of snaps. The sack yesterday was a thing of beauty. He also sets the edge really well. I think he might be good. This rookie class is as good as we could have ever dreamed. 

• Upvote 1

36 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

He's had a couple of really nice sacks in a very limited number of snaps. The sack yesterday was a thing of beauty. He also sets the edge really well. I think he might be good. This rookie class is as good as we could have ever dreamed. 

He's been better in the run game than I expected and is flashing as a rusher, especially with our coverage being so good to cause hitches.

• Upvote 1

On 11/6/2022 at 10:42 AM, Hex said:

That is not wrong for the most part, but it's also not what the threads about, silly. You started the thread to say that Jermaine Johnson sucks, which is wrong. In the games he played he exceeded expectations, but he hasn't been playing because the DL has been doing terrific anyways. There is no way of knowing if he sucks or not 4 games into his career when he has played better than most expected. 

On 11/6/2022 at 10:38 AM, jgb said:

Overdrafted doesn’t mean the same thing as “suck.” I think he’s a Lawson clone. Pressure but no sacks.

Interesting take.  His sack numbers at Florida State were off the charts, but people worried that he would not translate because he got them on a less stellar win rate that most of the other top pass rush prospects.  I don't really recall his time at Georgia that well.  He may actually be a "finisher."  Some guys get close and can't close the deal.  Others can.  

I tend to think that the Jets want guys with motor that will squeeze the outside, but keep coming.  Guys like Johnson and Lawson fit that role and if the coverage is there, they will constantly be coming and will get theirs.  They have to be good athletically to hold up the edge, but be able to roam sideline to sideline.  I think they prefer (or at least care more about) that to guys that maybe have more pass rush "moves."  

On 11/6/2022 at 10:42 AM, Hex said:

That is not wrong for the most part, but it's also not what the threads about, silly. You started the thread to say that Jermaine Johnson sucks, which is wrong. In the games he played he exceeded expectations, but he hasn't been playing because the DL has been doing terrific anyways. There is no way of knowing if he sucks or not 4 games into his career when he has played better than most expected. 

Wasn't the whole thread based on him being "inactive" for a "big game" against the Pats?  His not playing had nothing to do with the DL doing terrific.   He was hurt.  He was playing about 20 snaps a game on D and another 15 on specials.  He got hurt week 5 and returned this week.  He has been playing less snaps on specials since week 3, but I think that is just that Huff has been active and took some of those snaps.  The team actually traded Martin, at least in part, because Johnson has looked good and was returning. 

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, Reasonable Jets Fan said:

@Facts gave an opinion on a player, and took his lumps like a man here. I respect that. 
You on the other hand, with your “Freaking Bills fans trolls” comment, come off like an idiot. 
Grow up, and start behaving like an adult. Nobody who posts on this site regularly needs to prove their fandom to you, or anyone else around here.

• Upvote 2
  • Ugh 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/4/2022 at 11:51 AM, Barry McCockinner said:

I think it is feasible that JJ is a big part of the defensive plan this week. His skill set may be very valuable in limiting Josh Allen running the ball. It's also feasible that the "football reason" JJ was kept out last week was that they had their eyes on this game and wanted to be sure JJ was, you know, 110%.

No let's go get a Pepsi Zero Sugar Rookie of the Week for JJ.

• Post of the Week 1

• 4 weeks later...

NFL SCOUT SAYS JETS MADE A MISTAKE DRAFTING JERMAINE JOHNSON

…former Jets scout thinks New York was wrong to trade up for Johnson in the first round of the 2022 NFL Draft, breaking down his game film so far this season.

This season there has been so much talk about the Jets' 2022 draft class, but we have not heard much about Jermaine Johnson. The rookie defensive end has been relatively quiet this season… On the season, Johnson has notched a domestic 12 solo tackles and 2.5 sacks (tied 101st).

Is it time to panic? Yes, the game film says it is. Johnson lacks the necessary power, speed and pass rushing moves to be elite in the National Football League. In passing situations, he either runs straight into the offensive tackle or tries to bend the edge and get through the back door of the pocket. Neither attempted route to the quarterback has worked well.

That's not what I think, it's what he has put on game film. Am I surprised? Not one bit. Why? In a January pre-draft article, I put a fifth-round grade on Johnson.

Read more at: https://www.charlotteobserver.com/sports/nfl/article269583397.html#storylink=cpy

• Thumb Down 5
  • Haha 1

No you're still wrong. And posting an article from a guy that has a vendetta against the jets organization and hates every draft pick they make doesn't make you right. 

He's still a rookie. Calling any rookie a superstar or bust is still idiotic. The entire forum was correct to rally against you and you still haven't learned crap.

• Upvote 3

2 hours ago, Facts said:

Oh how the turntables turn!

I. Told. You. All. So.

This thread will live in infamy, as the time the entire forum rallied against me, yet I was proven right in time.

Told us so? Wtf are you talking about? A rookie that has missed a few games is producing less than what half of the DLs in the league are?

Keep in mind the Jets have a 10 man DL rotation, which means each player (JJ included) will get less stats. 

He’s only been in the league for 13 games, come back to this thread after 2 seasons of his play and reevaluate 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Sammybighead said:

No you're still wrong. And posting an article from a guy that has a vendetta against the jets organization and hates every draft pick they make doesn't make you right. 

He's still a rookie. Calling any rookie a superstar or bust is still idiotic. The entire forum was correct to rally against you and you still haven't learned crap.

I see the lesson still continues.

• More Ugh 1