So, does Jermaine Johnson suck?

Facts

44 minutes ago, CanadaSteve said:

So what Beer?  We gave up a fifth-round pick, moved down 32 spots in round 3, and STILL picked up a good prospect. The 163rd pick was Braxton Jones.  BIG deal breaker.  Sometimes it seems like you are finding ways to bitch about Joe Douglas.  Johnson has played QUITE well for limited snaps.   Even if we had taken Kayvon Thibodeaux instead of Sauce, he would have been on a pitch count. Would you have preferred spending the number 4 overall pick playing (probably at best) 50 percent of the snaps, or the 26th pick playing 30 percent of the snaps for 12 more solo tackles, 2 forced fumbles and a 1/2 sack more?  Perhaps a blocked punt and a safety helps erase those 2 forced fumbles Johnson hasn't got.  

If you are trading up for a player in the first round you expect him to be very impactful, you should also expect him to get a lot of snaps.

That is the point, the player i like.  I wanted the jets to go after him.  But having the head coach talk the gm into trading up for a guy and then using him spot duty is bad asset management.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Beerfish said:

If you are trading up for a player in the first round you expect him to be very impactful, you should also expect him to get a lot of snaps.

That is the point, the player i like.  I wanted the jets to go after him.  But having the head coach talk the gm into trading up for a guy and then using him spot duty is bad asset management.

He had a staggering 35% pass rush win rate against Sewell. Not sure about the jags but the kid is an animal.  Lots and lots of other things to complain about 

• Upvote 3
  • Ugh 1

Lawson clone. Good player, but overdrafted in the 1st.

But it’s year one and could be wrong. 

• WTF? 1

15 minutes ago, Larz said:

He had a staggering 35% pass rush win rate against Sewell. Not sure about the jags but the kid is an animal.  Lots and lots of other things to complain about 

You guys keep missing the point.  If you are going to trade up in the first for a pass rusher he needs to play A LOT.  I like the player , I wanted to draft the player.  I do not like seeing guys getting 39% of the snaps (which he got last game) who you trade up to get.  If your are going to have a jets like strategy of giving DE's 39% of the snaps, go draft another position in which you get near 100% of the snaps.

Since Thibodeux was mentioned he got 97% of snap counts and is up around 80% most games.

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

You guys keep missing the point.  If you are going to trade up in the first for a pass rusher he needs to play A LOT.  I like the player , I wanted to draft the player.  I do not like seeing guys getting 39% of the snaps (which he got last game) who you trade up to get.  If your are going to have a jets like strategy of giving DE's 39% of the snaps, go draft another position in which you get near 100% of the snaps.

this isn’t 1985 anymore. All teams dress and rotate 7-9 sometimes 10 guys. 

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Larz said:

this isn’t 1985 anymore. All teams dress and rotate 7-9 sometimes 10 guys. 

So you are in favour of trading up in the 1st for a guy that gets less than 40% of the snaps? 

As I said above, Thibs is getting 80% plus of snaps.

You rotate guys like Bryce Huff etc.

If you think a player is special enough to trade up for you play him, otherwise you do not trade up and just draft a guy like karlaftis who falls to you.

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

So you are in favour of trading up in the 1st for a guy that gets less than 40% of the snaps? 

If you think a player is special enough to trade up for you play him, otherwise you do not trade up and just draft a guy like karlaftis who falls to you.

No I’m just pointing out that the Jets have a philosophy of rotation on the D line.  Do you know a giants fan that gives you grief about thibs ? Who cares?

JJs pff is almost double karlaftis’ grade. This is a weird hill to die on lol. 

• Upvote 1

16 hours ago, Facts said:

My point was that it wasn’t like a 10 yard loss sack where he showed great pass rushing skills by beating the OT.

It was a play where he beat Allen to the edge during a scramble and made a normal couple yard loss tackle. No pass rush skills were used.

And that was 1 of his 2 “sacks” for the entire season. Karlaftis was drafted after him and has double that.

If you don't see why that sack/tackle behind the LOS was impressive then it's established that, no matter what this kid does,  you will never say a positive word about him.  There was nothing "normal" about that sack, especially when you consider who the QB was.  **** sake man...

• Upvote 2

Guys like Bryce Huff? LOL

https://www.yahoo.com/video/espn-chart-shows-insane-bryce-010637844.html

55 minutes ago, Doggin94it said:

His snap counts last week?  8%, the week before?  28%, before that 22%

Amazing that all our dline, all of them area all world and they are getting low snap counts. 

Huff is an excellent situational player, he probably should be on the field more but the jets do not believe in playing their best players a lot.

That is the entire point. 

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Beerfish said:

Since Thibodeux was mentioned he got 97% of snap counts and is up around 80% most games.

I guess we will disagree about that.

Don't mind him getting lower snap counts.

That said, I would like to see them increase to at least 50 percent next year. 

THAT said....maybe it has helped with injuries.  Big guys get hurt playing that many games.  Too bad you can't take the same approach with OL.

On 12/26/2022 at 4:27 PM, Larz said:

No I’m just pointing out that the Jets have a philosophy of rotation on the D line.  

Which is exactly why the pick was stupid…

My goodness, some of you have ZERO ability to admit a Jets GM made the wrong decision or a Jets player isn’t all that good.

25 minutes ago, Facts said:

Which is exactly why the pick was stupid…

My goodness, some of you have ZERO ability to admit a Jets GM made the wrong decision or a Jets player isn’t all that good.

So they should rotate lesser players because they won’t wind up with flashy individual stats ?

my goodness 

On 12/26/2022 at 2:10 PM, Beerfish said:

He’s still a rookie…

5 minutes ago, Barry McCockinner said:

I noticed this doesn't take into account that JJ sack that was basically just a tackle of the QB behind the LOS.

So that doesn’t count?
It was also one hell of a big play in a big game that not many other defensive ends make especially against Josh Allen and was this type of play specifically against Allen that the Jets moved up to draft him 

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, CSNY said:

So that doesn’t count?
It was also one hell of a big play in a big game that not many other defensive ends make especially against Josh Allen and was this type of play specifically against Allen that the Jets moved up to draft him 

I was being sarcastic. That was the logic the OP used to attempt to minimize the impact of that play. It would have been a massive run by Allen if JJ didn't get to him.

31 minutes ago, Barry McCockinner said:

I was being sarcastic. That was the logic the OP used to attempt to minimize the impact of that play. It would have been a massive run by Allen if JJ didn't get to him.

Didn’t realize it my apologies 

8 hours ago, CSNY said:

Didn’t realize it my apologies 

He was purposefully not understanding the point that it was a good play by JJ but it wasn’t like he showcased great pass rushing skills by beating an OT (for example). He chased Allen down on the edge - he basically won a race. Which is different than beating a linemen in a war of strength and technique.

On 12/26/2022 at 4:17 PM, Beerfish said:

Unless a guy looks completely lost - JJ doesn’t - judging a player in Year 1 seems silly to me. Can we give him a little more time to develop?

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, Irish Jet said:

Seems every NFL GM had this guy pegged for what he was except Douglas.

We would have taken him at 10 if Wilson was gone.

Bingo.

JJ was dropping like a rock and JD said “no one else wants him, so we should take him!”

30 minutes ago, KINGDIRK said:

Unless a guy looks completely lost - JJ doesn’t - judging a player in Year 1 seems silly to me. Can we give him a little more time to develop?

For the 101st time I am not judging Jermaine Johnson.  I like the player, glad we drafted him.  I am judging how the coaching staff uses their players on defense and if the way players are used justifies high draft picks.

SEASON ENDED UPDATE:

- Johnson ended the season with 8 straight games of NO SACKS.

- He only HIT (not even sacked, just hit) the opponents QB five times the ENTIRE SEASON.

- Did not have TFL in the last 8 games and only had 3 for the ENTIRE SEASON.

- The Jets tried to prop him up by using him more. He played upwords of 40-50% of the snaps in some games over the last 5 weeks of the season and he STILL didnt make an impact.

Some of you who mocked me need to come get your JUST DESSERTS!

76vgr5.jpg.0c09c2f7bdef0894307ec8423c52925b.jpg

• Thumb Down 3
  • More Ugh 2