Saleh: Denzel Mims has earned role even when Davis comes back

On 11/4/2022 at 10:50 AM, GangGreened said:

More valuable to us than Elijah Moore is 

6’3” Mims is a much bigger target than 5’10” Moore. Looking at success zack has with the big Tight end targets, rb dumps, Mims will likely be a more favorable target over the talented but smaller Moore. Zack can throw a bad pass that Mims can stretch and reach, where same pass could easily be a pick 6 with Wilson throwing high to Moore. 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

7 minutes ago, SuicidalSince98 said:

Mims has worked his absolute ass off and been a great soldier. Blocks like an animal and makes tough contested catches and fights for yack. When it’s all said and done he might be the player we hoped for and Moore is the bust 

“ Blocking “ says it all. He had big block that resulted in TD few weeks ago. I think Saleh realizes and told his OC “ we have to run more with Zack at qb” And obviously Mims blocking is going to be key part going forward.

• Upvote 1

Without Mims the Jets really lack a guy who can win in contested situations outside the numbers. When you don't have that and defenses really don't need to respect that area of the field, especially deep, it's so much easier to squish everything in the middle area and defend that way. Hope he takes the job, runs with it, and we can pencil him in as a starter next year.

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1

10 minutes ago, SuicidalSince98 said:

Mims has worked his absolute ass off and been a great soldier. Blocks like an animal and makes tough contested catches and fights for yack. When it’s all said and done he might be the player we hoped for and Moore is the bust 

Is this the Yack Mims was fighting for

images (2).jpeg

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 2

37 minutes ago, Zachtomims47 said:

Suck it @Jetsfan80 the name LIVES ON!

Happy Paul Rudd GIF by Saturday Night Live

Also pretty sure the "switch flip" is Mims saying to Moore "if you don't want to play, I will!" 

Mims elevation is CLEARLY a Saleh move and one that I do not think that Mike Lafleur was EVER going to make!

How do I know?

Listen closely............. you NEVER hear Lafleur make these positive statements about Mims first, when he should be the one who is touting his players and getting them on the field.  Notice Saleh's statement comes AFTER the Lafleur presser in which he barely mentions Mims.

Second, the whole "Mims doesn't Run the Whole Route Tree" was actually used against Garrett Wilson in the first games.  Lafleur actaually said that Garrett Wilson needed to know the "whole route tree" before being featured, folks complained, saying that Wilson was the best WR on the field. 

Interestingly Saleh said in that very next presser after those complaints that he thought Garrett should get more touches, and then the very next game Wilson literally EXPLODES and catches everything in sight and becomes the darling of everybody!

Third, no one thinks that it is ODD that Mims after obstinately one good game is going to get reps with Davis when Davis returns after not being even on the ACTIVE ROSTER!  How is that possible???????

Folks felt that Mims should be traded and with good reason, for the fact that the Jets coaching staff wouldn't even put him on the game-day active roster. 

The fact was Mims wasn't even deemed as good as that all-time great Jeff Smith, he of the average, do nothing, of special team plays. 

Think....Mims couldn't get on the active roster??  He must have stunk right?

Do you think that with say Brian Daboll we would be having these problems? 

And for another thread, I think with Daboll grooming Wilson we would see a different Zach Wilson QBing out there on Sunday afternoons!  The fact is what Daboll did to improve first Josh Allen and then David Jones is NOT A COINCIDENCE! Coaching matters!

Look Lafleur is a nice guy, I like him, and he definitely knows offense but the basic fact is he doesn't know how to be a complete OC just yet and Saleh skillfully stepped in yet again, leading without bringing his guy Lafleur down. 

I for one just hope that Saleh is right in leaving the offensive side of the ball fully in Lafleur's hands, but I for one said Mims had star potential and so I am definitely BIASED and I may be wrong.............................................

But IMO Lafleur hasn't shown me yet that he knows how to get everyone involved in the Jets offense and that is a BIG PROBLEM.

Don't believe me????   Go go ask Elijah Moore.....

Let's Go Jets!

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1
  • Post of the Week 2

12 minutes ago, derp said:

Without Mims the Jets really lack a guy who can win in contested situations outside the numbers. When you don't have that and defenses really don't need to respect that area of the field, especially deep, it's so much easier to squish everything in the middle area and defend that way. Hope he takes the job, runs with it, and we can pencil him in as a starter next year.

Not only that but wilson needs taller guys to help when he’s scrambling.  

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, slimjasi said:

In all seriousness, Wilson does seem to like the taller targets. CD and GW have both had big games with Wilson at QB - I could Mims doing the same 

E Moore feels like the odd man out 

With Wilson, yes.  With the next QB1, not necessarily.

It was smart for JD not to trade Moore.  Let the dust settle a bit.  It may be a lost season for Moore but there's still time on his rookie deal for his Jets career to not get wasted.

• Upvote 2

Good news - I am happy for Mims and even happier if it helps the team.

Am I the only one who feels that watching this team the past 2 years is similiar to watching a soap opera. Turns everyday around here. Good guys become bad guys, bad become good.

Keeps it interesting I guess.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1
  • Post of the Week 1

1 minute ago, slimjasi said:

In all seriousness, Wilson does seem to like the taller targets. CD and GW have both had big games with Wilson at QB - I could Mims doing the same 

E Moore feels like the odd man out 

Moore was the best offensive skill player on the team last year during the regular season and the offensive star of the past two training camps. He’s a good weapon for a good quarterback.

Wilson has to make a big leap in production to start catering your passing game to his preferences. If he’s elite or very good targeting bigger guys down the stretch then by all means. Otherwise maybe get someone who can play point guard for a good collection of skill talent.

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

It was smart for JD not to trade Moore.  Let the dust settle a bit.  It may be a lost season for Moore but there's still time on his rookie deal for his Jets career to not get wasted.

I kind of just said the same thing (after you).

But this lets me jump off on the other point I wanted to make. If Mims starts playing, is productive, and rescinds his trade request - huge win for the culture/coaching staff.

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1

I've been as hard on this coaching staff and have had serious doubts about them since last season.

But, I can really appreciate the fact that they straight up told Mims (publicly too) that he wasn't practicing and playing up to standard to deserve a role in games, and they didn't bend on that until he put in the work with the right attitude and are now rewarding those efforts.

That's how you really change a culture. Far too long we let the malcontents roam wild in the locker room with minimal effort and nothing was ever done.

• Upvote 4
  • Sympathy 1

Just now, Jetsfan80 said:

True, although he only got 10 snaps last week and that has nothing to do with Zach Wilson, IMO - it’s probably because they aren’t thrilled with Moore despite what they are saying and I legit think Mims is a guy who could suddenly be good. I’ve always liked the prospect and he had some nice moments as a rookie. And GW is a future star, IMO. Just a really good player. So Moore could quickly become a secondary WR option here. Depends how well Mims really plays. And this is not even mentioning Conklin, who is also emerging.

The Jets have a lot of weapons - they don’t have to play a malcontent. Of course, injuries can always happen. 

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, derp said:

Moore was the best offensive skill player on the team last year during the regular season and the offensive star of the past two training camps. He’s a good weapon for a good quarterback.

Wilson has to make a big leap in production to start catering your passing game to his preferences. If he’s elite or very good targeting bigger guys down the stretch then by all means. Otherwise maybe get someone who can play point guard for a good collection of skill talent.

Moore did very little in his 3 games with Flacoo, though. He hasn’t been good this year. Find me the plays where Wilson has missed E Moore being open. And now his snaps are getting trimmed. 

• Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, Charlie Brown said:

Mims elevation is CLEARLY a Saleh move and one that I do not think that Mike Lafleur was EVER going to make!

How do I know?

Listen closely............. you NEVER hear Lafleur make these positive statements about Mims first, when he should be the one who is touting his players and getting them on the field.  Notice Saleh's statement comes AFTER the Lafleur presser in which he barely mentions Mims.

Second, the whole "Mims doesn't Run the Whole Route Tree" was actually used against Garrett Wilson in the first games.  Lafleur actaually said that Garrett Wilson needed to know the "whole route tree" before being featured, folks complained, saying that Wilson was the best WR on the field. 

Interestingly Saleh said in that very next presser after those complaints that he thought Garrett should get more touches, and then the very next game Wilson literally EXPLODES and catches everything in sight and becomes the darling of everybody!

Third, no one thinks that it is ODD that Mims after obstinately one good game is going to get reps with Davis when Davis returns after not being even on the ACTIVE ROSTER!  How is that possible???????

Folks felt that Mims should be traded and with good reason, for the fact that the Jets coaching staff wouldn't even put him on the game-day active roster. 

The fact was Mims wasn't even deemed as good as that all-time great Jeff Smith, he of the average, do nothing, of special team plays. 

Think....Mims couldn't get on the active roster??  He must have stunk right?

Do you think that with say Brian Daboll we would be having these problems? 

And for another thread, I think with Daboll grooming Wilson we would see a different Zach Wilson QBing out there on Sunday afternoons!  The fact is what Daboll did to improve first Josh Allen and then David Jones is NOT A COINCIDENCE! Coaching matters!

Look Lafleur is a nice guy, I like him, and he definitely knows offense but the basic fact is he doesn't know how to be a complete OC just yet and Saleh skillfully stepped in yet again, leading without bringing his guy Lafleur down. 

I for one just hope that Saleh is right in leaving the offensive side of the ball fully in Lafleur's hands, but I for one said Mims had star potential and so I am definitely BIASED and I may be wrong.............................................

But IMO Lafleur hasn't shown me yet that he knows how to get everyone involved in the Jets offense and that is a BIG PROBLEM.

Don't believe me????   Go go ask Elijah Moore.....

Let's Go Jets!

Interesting take.  I do think LaFleur tends to lock into his system and drives his players to fit in vs. adapting some concepts to fit the talent. With Gase, he was smart enough to know that Robby would never be confused with Amari Cooper in his route running, but could run like the wind and had excellent technique on deep routes. So he used him that way and had some decent success.  Some of this is on Mims too.  He's had a tough time when he's played gaining separation.  Some of that could be his technique and some of that could be the routes he's been asked to run don't necessarily fit with his strengths.  If you are right, it'll be interesting how Zach is handled the rest of the season - whether LaFleur is left alone or whether Saleh starts pushing for some adjustments in game planning/design. 

• Upvote 1

If true and Mims continues to contribute at a high level I have to say I like the configuration of the Davis/Mims/Wilson trio better than Davis/Wilson/Moore trio just due to the type of players they are. I think Moore is a better player than Mims but he's also a much different type of player. The Mims combo presents more problems for a defense if he's playing at a high level IMO.

Nice to be able to have options like this for different matchups and scenarios.

• Upvote 2