Jump to content

QB School Video Tweets (video behind a paywall)


Hal N of Provo
 Share

Recommended Posts

Look at the WR’s reaction on the INT play. I think that was Jeff Smith. He was pissed.

I actually think I know what Zach was thinking. Jeff Smith kind of gets open on this play but the pass rush got to Zach and he couldn't throw it. The safety was flying to cover Smith over the top though so not sure about that throw either. So Zach runs towards the sideline and lobs it up. But, by then, the safety had it covered. Have to let that play go and just throw it away.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

40 minutes ago, Hal N of Provo said:


JD never once mentions Zach is a 1st ballot HoF-er so take it with a huge grain of salt:

 JD makes 95k a month?  Good for him.  It’s 110 a month to subscribe?  Am I seeing that right?!? 

 

 

 

JD? Joe Douglas? He's out here breaking down film? HELL YEAH

Link to comment
Share on other sites

ok so on that third (i think pick) where he throws it going backwards....i keep seeing all the comments and i remember watching the game that it was kind of a desperation throw. went and looked again...

it was 3 and 7, Jeff Smith coming across the middle is his only option and he isnt getting a first down (**** off JT). so the argument was, throw it away on 3 and 7 down 19-10 in the 4th quarter? ok, i guess.

yes ZW is trying to play hero ball, but he is also trying to make something out of nothing with the sh*tty OL play and the constant pressure.

image.thumb.png.34ee248aa7bc0c0d9ac3467e98bb9d70.png

  • Upvote 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

58 minutes ago, Darnold's Forehead said:

Coaching staff needs to get up in Zach's face about setting his feet and staying in the pocket.  Do they watch film?  Can't they see that he is actually not a*s when he steps up and throws vs running backwards?  He should be warned not to play this way again.  Not threatening him with the bench is a mistake.

I agree with just about everything here. I think it’s pretty obvious that Zach isn’t trusting his OL or the play and bails way too soon a lot of the time. The coaches have to be painfully aware of this and, at the same time, somehow convinced that they can still coach this into him. Last week was his worst game of the season. He knows this. This is a tough opponent to have to get your **** together against, but that’s what he needs to do. This needs to be a bounce back game. Now, the Jets are 13-point ‘dogs for a few reasons. I’d love the win, but after last week I’ll settle for covering with respectability. 
 
Only thing I don’t see is any bench threats. There may be something psychological at play with Mike White’s promotion, and/or they may want a better look at him before he’s scheduled to hit free agency, but they’re not going to issue any threats. Nor should they. They should have a contingency plan, though. Zach can learn about that if/when they choose to execute it. 

  • Upvote 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

41 minutes ago, ultraJETfan said:

Here's the first half:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1F4tf8wMm36LGkbQ9k6SSZqm8tofh1PJo/view?usp=share_link

It's still processing. If you lack patience you can download it and watch it that way or wait another 30-60 minutes.

Thumbs up isn’t good enough - this needs a heart.  Oops quoted the wrong post and tagging isn’t working

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, SuicidalSince98 said:

If Wilson just trusted his protection he would be decapitated by a free rusher within a quarter of play 

Yeah last season was especially bad.  It would look like Van Rotten had a block and the rush would move through him like a ghost.  Zach got crushed a bunch of times with no warning.

All the JN QB whispers don’t know what he’s being coached to do (myself included).  I suspect they told him not to step up last season and this year I don’t know.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, ultraJETfan said:

Here's the first half:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1F4tf8wMm36LGkbQ9k6SSZqm8tofh1PJo/view?usp=share_link

It's still processing. If you lack patience you can download it and watch it that way or wait another 30-60 minutes.

Hm the video on his Patreon is just a hidden YouTube video. If you have access you could just post the link.

That said, kind of sketch on reposting paid content but that's just me.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Hal N of Provo said:


JD never once mentions Zach is a 1st ballot HoF-er so take it with a huge grain of salt:

 JD makes 95k a month?  Good for him.  It’s 110 a month to subscribe?  Am I seeing that right?!? 

 

 

 

On this last one, I thinknZach went off script and improvised. Conklin goes in motion and then comes back and at the snap he blocks. Once Zack rolls out behind him, Conklin give the defender a shove to get some space and then turns looking at Zach as if he is expecting to get the ball. I am pretty sure that is where this was supposed to go if there wasn't  and open reciever down field and Conklin was open for what was probably going to be a 5 yard gain or more if he drags or breaks a tackler. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

So after watching this one and the Denver game it seems to me like he's just deathly afraid of taking a hit. IDK what else to call it. If he sees even a flash of the other's teams colors closer than he likes he just bails right away and starts doing the chicken dance which is also strange because most QBs when they bail will try to run forward if they have space or just fall down and take the sack. I really don't know how you get him to just keep your eyes downfield and find the check down. A lot of his bails where clean pockets by NFL standards with open check downs if he kept his eyes up.

  • Upvote 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, k-met57 said:

ok so on that third (i think pick) where he throws it going backwards....i keep seeing all the comments and i remember watching the game that it was kind of a desperation throw. went and looked again...

it was 3 and 7, Jeff Smith coming across the middle is his only option and he isnt getting a first down (**** off JT). so the argument was, throw it away on 3 and 7 down 19-10 in the 4th quarter? ok, i guess.

yes ZW is trying to play hero ball, but he is also trying to make something out of nothing with the sh*tty OL play and the constant pressure.

image.thumb.png.34ee248aa7bc0c0d9ac3467e98bb9d70.png

There were still 12 minutes left.  Down 9.  Take the checkdown, maybe Smith makes someone miss and picks up the first.  If not, you are in 4 down territroy.  Take the easy 5 yards and go for 4th and a yard or two.

I don't think that was the situation to throw one up for grabs and hope someone makes a play.

  • Upvote 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, k-met57 said:

ok so on that third (i think pick) where he throws it going backwards....i keep seeing all the comments and i remember watching the game that it was kind of a desperation throw. went and looked again...

it was 3 and 7, Jeff Smith coming across the middle is his only option and he isnt getting a first down (**** off JT). so the argument was, throw it away on 3 and 7 down 19-10 in the 4th quarter? ok, i guess.

yes ZW is trying to play hero ball, but he is also trying to make something out of nothing with the sh*tty OL play and the constant pressure.

image.thumb.png.34ee248aa7bc0c0d9ac3467e98bb9d70.png

He throws that ball to Jeff Smith and Smith gets to at least the 50. That’s a clean pocket. Now you got a 4th and 3rd at worse assuming Smith doest beat the one guy in tackling range. The majority of our WR are sub 4.4 guys. Give your guys a chance to make a play.

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Knowing ZW is going to bail to the right 80% of the time, LeFleur needs to design plays with that in mind....why have Zack's outlet on the left side or even in the middle when we know Z will be running for his life towards the right sidelines. Zack has even said it's frustrating running around and not having anyone to throw to. Coach the WRs to cut off their routs and COME BACK for a throw. And always have someone on the right side that Zack can bail too. 

  • Upvote 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, FootballLove said:

Knowing ZW is going to bail to the right 80% of the time, LeFleur needs to design plays with that in mind....why have Zack's outlet on the left side or even in the middle when we know Z will be running for his life towards the right sidelines. Zack has even said it's frustrating running around and not having anyone to throw to. Coach the WRs to cut off their routs and COME BACK for a throw. And always have someone on the right side that Zack can bail too. 

In college he was dangerous because he’d throw all over the place from the scramble.  It seems he’s been told 20 yards down field to the sideline only.  And I’m sure we are not the only ones who have noticed 

  • Upvote 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Lith said:

There were still 12 minutes left.  Down 9.  Take the checkdown, maybe Smith makes someone miss and picks up the first.  If not, you are in 4 down territroy.  Take the easy 5 yards and go for 4th and a yard or two.

I don't think that was the situation to throw one up for grabs and hope someone makes a play.

Honestly this is the biggest difference in watching Zach and watching almost every other QB starting in the NFL.  Which is the cause of his completion % being so low.  Not inaccuracy of his actual throws.

Other QB's drop, No, No, Checkdown.  Quick and decisive.  Take what is there, move on to the next play.  Zach goes, No, No, Bail, run around looking for a big play even when the checkdown is there.

That, beyond anything else is what Zach needs to improve upon the most.  If he starts hitting those checkdowns for 5-7 yards on 1st and 2nd down, his completion % will shoot up to above 60%, yards will easily go up 50-75 yards per game, and we will sustain more drives.

Luckily, it's something I think he can learn, and once that clicks the look and feel of the offense will completely change.

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Lith said:

There were still 12 minutes left.  Down 9.  Take the checkdown, maybe Smith makes someone miss and picks up the first.  If not, you are in 4 down territroy.  Take the easy 5 yards and go for 4th and a yard or two.

I don't think that was the situation to throw one up for grabs and hope someone makes a play.

don't disagree myself, but understand what he was trying to do there.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Hal N of Provo said:

@Paradis the top one is what you want more of 

That's a good throw, good read. I'd say it's more of a demonstration of touch than anticipation (and that's good too, he's struggle at times with fast balling). He did stick on the WR though, but it was the right read. so can't complain. Whatever terminology one prefers, he needs start throwing WRs open, and see the field better. Go through your reads, then grip and rip it... 

More of those throws though will get me closer to the front of the Wilson BJ line.  

  • Upvote 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, Paradis said:

That's a good throw, good read. I'd say it's more of a demonstration of touch than anticipation (and that's good too, he's struggle at times with fast balling). He did stick on the WR though, but it was the right read. so can't complain. Whatever terminology one prefers, he needs start throwing WRs open, and see the field better. Go through your reads, then grip and rip it... 

More of those throws though will get me closer to the front of the Wilson BJ line.  

Just got done with the day and watched the full video.  Plenty to see both sides of the debate.  He’s still got a sky high ceiling and floor lower than the basement.   
 

Some shockingly good plays and some boneheaded ones.  Bailed early without good reason on at least 4 I noticed - but plenty of good plays from the pocket and smart escapes too. 
 

I still see the upside and think he will be great - but it’s not tough to see why others think he’s the guy from the bad plays.  
 

I see progress and more good plays than last season. 

  • Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, Paradis said:

That's a good throw, good read. I'd say it's more of a demonstration of touch than anticipation (and that's good too, he's struggle at times with fast balling). He did stick on the WR though, but it was the right read. so can't complain. Whatever terminology one prefers, he needs start throwing WRs open, and see the field better. Go through your reads, then grip and rip it... 

More of those throws though will get me closer to the front of the Wilson BJ line.  

you gonna be fighting off a lot of 45+ yr old women.

 

  • Haha 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share



×
×
  • Create New...