Why I've been worse.... My Amazing Father Died of Cancer

17 minutes ago, ToonforPrez said:

So very sorry for the loss of your Dad. My father is dealing with the same scenario and it pains me everyday to see such a life being taken away slowly. I'm sure you made him proud as can be and he felt the love and bond that you both shared each and everyday. Much love to you and your family during this time. I truly hope the Jets win this week to make this week somewhat bearable for you. 

Sorry to hear you and yours are going through this too man

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 2

1 hour ago, Jet_Engine1 said:

Thank you everyone for the words and thoughts. My Dad passed peacefully in his sleep yesterday morning.  I will miss him for the rest of my days, and never stop telling "Grandpa" stories to my boys.... I'm gonna miss him so bad. 

I’m so sorry for your loss.  No finer compliment than to be loved so much by those left behind.  He sounds like a great man.  May he Rest In Peace and you and your family find comfort.  

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

1 hour ago, Jet_Engine1 said:

Thank you everyone for the words and thoughts. My Dad passed peacefully in his sleep yesterday morning.  I will miss him for the rest of my days, and never stop telling "Grandpa" stories to my boys.... I'm gonna miss him so bad. 

My condolences.  RIP your fathers legacy will live forever. 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

2 hours ago, Jet_Engine1 said:

I'm so sorry to hear that.  My deepest condolences.  

• Sympathy 1

My heart goes out to you.  I'll tell you what though.  Your dad is very lucky he has you as a son.  The one thing I always wanted was children, because when it's my time to go, I don't want to die alone.

You seem to be a very loving son, and I know you will help your dad through this very difficult time.

Again, my heart goes out to you and your dad.  You're both lucky to have one another, for as long as you can.

• Sympathy 1

8 hours ago, Jet_Engine1 said:

omg im so sorry for your loss

• Sympathy 1

9 hours ago, Jet_Engine1 said:

Just saw this thread today and am so sorry for your loss. Sounds like a great man, certainly seems to have done his job in raising you. Just know you've got people here who care - and who'd love to hear any other stories about him you'd care to share

• Sympathy 1

On 11/14/2022 at 2:16 PM, Jet_Engine1 said:

Been there & felt/feel the same way. Even years later you'll still remember another one you didn't tell them before, and when you laugh retelling it, very briefly it'll be like he's still there, like in your head you've brought him back into the room with you, if only for a few seconds. Hopefully you've got lots of those to recall, and it sounds like you do. Those seconds do add up.

I missed this thread the first time around, somehow. Anyway, sorry for your loss. 

• Sympathy 1
  • Post of the Week 2

On 11/14/2022 at 1:16 PM, Jet_Engine1 said:

I'm so sorry for your loss.  I had to do the same thing for my dad 6 weeks ago and get this I'm bringing my mom home tomorrow for hospice.  I've been taking care of her since my dad passed. Thankfully the Jets aren't terrible.

• Sympathy 5

5 minutes ago, DJF71 said:

I'm so sorry for your loss.  I had to do the same thing for my dad 6 weeks ago and get this I'm bringing my mom home tomorrow for hospice.  I've been taking care of her since my dad passed. Thankfully the Jets aren't terrible.

I couldn't imagine having to deal with that now. God Bless you, man. Stay strong.

• Upvote 1

On 11/14/2022 at 2:16 PM, Jet_Engine1 said:

Really sorry for your loss, man. 

• Sympathy 1

Having lost my dad many years ago the comforting words that come to mind are as time passes by there will be times where you exhibit behaviors of your dad.

I truly think it is a gift our parents give us and we in turn to them as they truly do live through us.

God bless.

• Sympathy 2

The replies and words of wisdom in this thread have been nothing short of inspiring and uplifting. It's been a week since Dad passed, and it feels like 10 minutes ago and also a year ago at the same time somehow. I talk to him constantly,  because I can feel his presence with me everywhere. And I've started doing short videos on YouTube of stories and just words for my kids for....whenever they'll need them. This is an amazing bunch. 

I know many say this, but my Father was one of a kind, and the best father I could have ever asked for. I am a truly lucky man to have had Brian Dolan as my Dad. And here's a couple of better pics aside from the last one ever taken of him and his old Patrol Boat...

724138841_7525(1).jpeg.db6955e17a13a39ca4e7602e359882ac.jpeg8977.thumb.jpeg.283e6b627040a70678c161a1bba01f3d.jpegreceived_840128567403375.thumb.jpeg.662aa6d5ccd9a448f69ad6ce3ce275e1.jpeg

20504.thumb.jpeg.655e9a5f0ee92a9dd28374fcdd2a9760.jpeg

• Sympathy 4

• 4 weeks later...

Dad's Funeral service was this past Saturday. Filled St. Anns Downtown WPB, and then took over O'Sheas for about 4 hours.  It was amazing and cathartic.  I did Dad's Eulogy and got a bunch of laughs, mostly from the "off the cuff" stuff. It was exactly the type of traditional service he loved, but with a sense of humor as well. Bagpipes, Full honor Guard, Rifle Volley and Flag Detail... guys in class A Uniforms, Police, Fire, and a couple of guys in their Army Dress Blues...it was badass. I will miss him until I see him again, but man, we gave him a hell of a send off.

19975.thumb.jpeg.e6945fddedeb3516f779978e5666b3f2.jpeg

19982.thumb.jpeg.b12e6393849b6396f19c3d44d77828a3.jpeg

19990.thumb.jpeg.7c622a3933676264b787866c496ea52f.jpeg

19966.thumb.jpg.617634a26cbeddf36bc1d077c5817544.jpg

Me and my boys

20034.jpeg.3ceb538cfa67b15f0997c7165e7a155d.jpeg

Why does my not-yet 14 year old look like he just finished work on Wall St. And is stopping for Happy Hour before the train...?

Screenshot_20221211_200820_Gallery.jpg.3bfd44fde123dcfb2317fb7cf69e719b.jpg

Eulogy, finished with unscripted, "OK, and finally, this may be the first and only time I ever say this, and I'm sorry if anyone gets offended, but 'Go Navy, Beat Army!"

19810.thumb.jpeg.4ba064841b27f5a19b3c83b483da77f4.jpeg

Me and a few of my 56 cousins. Most were there, down from NY and points all over.

Thanks for all the support,  everyone. It's been a rough few months.

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 7

5 minutes ago, Jet_Engine1 said:

Dad's Funeral service was this past Saturday. Filled St. Anns Downtown WPB, and then took over O'Sheas for about 4 hours.  It was amazing and cathartic.  I did Dad's Eulogy and got a bunch of laughs, mostly from the "off the cuff" stuff. It was exactly the type of traditional service he loved, but with a sense of humor as well. Bagpipes, Full honor Guard and Flag Detail, guys in class A Uniforms, Police, Fire, and a couple of guys in their Army Dress Blues...it was badass. I will miss him until I see him again, but man, we gave him a hell of a send off.

19975.thumb.jpeg.e6945fddedeb3516f779978e5666b3f2.jpeg

19982.thumb.jpeg.b12e6393849b6396f19c3d44d77828a3.jpeg

19990.thumb.jpeg.7c622a3933676264b787866c496ea52f.jpeg

19966.thumb.jpg.617634a26cbeddf36bc1d077c5817544.jpg

Me and my boys

20034.jpeg.3ceb538cfa67b15f0997c7165e7a155d.jpeg

Why does my not-yet 14 year old look like he just finished work on Wall St. And is stopping for Happy Hour before the train...?

Screenshot_20221211_200820_Gallery.jpg.3bfd44fde123dcfb2317fb7cf69e719b.jpg

Eulogy, finished with unscripted, "OK, and finally, this may be the first and only time I ever say this, and I'm sorry if anyone gets offended, but 'Go Navy, Beat Army!"

19810.thumb.jpeg.4ba064841b27f5a19b3c83b483da77f4.jpeg

Me and a few of my 56 cousins. Most were there, down from NY and points all over.

Thanks for all the support,  everyone. It's been a rough few months.

Glad you got to see him off to the great beyond with a 5 star send off!

Love ya brother!

Bros Love GIF by Mediacorp SG

Go Air Force!

• Post of the Week 1

37 minutes ago, Jet_Engine1 said:

In case anyone wanted to learn about an awesome guy they might not have had the opportunity to meet:

https://www.legacy.com/us/obituaries/legacyremembers/brian-dolan-obituary?id=38299480

I read your father's obituary, and I must say, he got the most out of life. What an amazing guy. My condolences go out to you and your entire family. So sorry for your loss.