Jet Fans SNL skit last night

kevinc855

15 minutes ago, munchmemory said:

Yeah, CSNY, I recall watching the first show in my college's TV lounge.   As a fan of National Lampoon Magazine, I was happy to see that the insane Michael O'Donoghue was the show's head writer.   Back then, the more risky and dark the comedy, the better for me.   WTF were average viewers thinking as this sketch opened the show, especially with Mr. Mike's appearance?   My friends and I were falling over.  Different era.

Damn, I would have killed to be backstage with those two.  Just for the opportunity to say hello and thanks for all the laughs.  I remember Belushi from the National Lampoon Radio Hour.   I wound up backstage in the mid-80s when the show sucked.  Also went to the cast party where I met Larry Bud Mellman.

Small consolation but was able to talk with them for a bit and they did buy me a couple of beers and while we were at the bar tge rest of the original cast walked in also 

• Post of the Week 1

53 minutes ago, bla bla bla said:

Ehhh yes but IMO slightly different. Majority of teams make the playoffs in NBA and Baseball has no salary cap. Jets have made 3 championship games and multiple playoff runs since 98. Last 10 years has been brutal though

i think you misunderstood what @jgb was saying. the Mets have been to 4 WS and the Knicks 3 Finals since the last time the Jets went to a SB.

championship games should not be anywhere better the SBs, WS, NBA Finals, Stanely Cups. 

even the islanders had the "drive for five " in the 80s and the Nets went to a Finals with Jason Kidd. 

i hate to say this but the Jets are the worst franchise in NY.

2 minutes ago, CSNY said:

Small consolation but was able to talk with them for a bit and they did buy me a couple of beers and while we were at the bar tge rest of the original cast walked in also 

I would have lost my mind meeting them, especially Aykroyd who's one of my comedy writing idols.   What a great memory, man.

Just now, munchmemory said:

I would have lost my mind meeting them, especially Aykroyd who's one of my comedy writing idols.   What a great memory, man.

Well I tried to keep cool but that lasted all of 30 seconds until I became so starstruck just kept babbling on. Was 18 at the time and a big fan of the show. Wanted to stay longer but being the youngest plumbers apprentice on the job was the gofer and had to bring back the crews dinner. As it was our Chinese food from Dewey Wongs on East 58 street in Manhattan was pretty cold when I got back and Dewey’s had the best Chinese food I ever had 

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, CSNY said:

Well I tried to keep cool but that lasted all of 30 seconds until I became so starstruck just kept babbling on. Was 18 at the time and a big fan of the show. Wanted to stay longer but being the youngest plumbers apprentice on the job was the gofer and had to bring back the crews dinner. As it was our Chinese food from Dewey Wongs on East 58 street in Manhattan was pretty cold when I got back and Dewey’s had the best Chinese food I ever had 

You got me thinking about Chinese food in NYC.  We'd always wind up at Wo Hop at like 4-5 AM after drinking all night.  But the best food I ever recall was at some little, hole in the wall place on Doyers Street.  Jiu Sang?   Can't remember. as it was the late 70s/early 80s.  Had the best dumplings and won-ton soup with the most complex, dark-colored broth.  Not the dish water you'd get in most places.  Every other dish in place was incredible, too.   I miss those days.

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

We're still here and we still care enough to complain despite dogsh*t results for 50+ years.  We're some of the best fans in the NFL.  

But we say mean things about horrible failing quarterbacks. We must be the only ones that do that…

7C662942-BA76-4077-A6E2-67DDD8B5EC0A.thumb.jpeg.b58d4694f35b996bdb2a3a5748818740.jpeg

• Haha 2

20 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

We're still here and we still care enough to complain despite dogsh*t results for 50+ years.  We're some of the best fans in the NFL.  

I doubt it, far more likely you just love to complain. That’s what keeps bringing you back.  

I should, although, take back my statement, I don’t believe the fan base is terrible - just a large contingent of this site and the people on Twitter.
The majority of fans I know that don’t frequent either - aren’t particularly happy with Zach, but see promise and recognize the obvious growth that you and so many are incapable of. 

1 minute ago, FidelioJet said:

I doubt it, far more likely you just love to complain. That’s what keeps bringing you back.  

I should, although, take back my statement, I don’t believe the fan base is terrible - just a large contingent of this site and the people on Twitter.
The majority of fans I know that don’t frequent either - aren’t particularly happy with Zach, but see promise and recognize the obvious growth that you and so many are incapable of. 

I'm tired of hearing about all this super secret growth Wilson is making.

Show it on the field.  Stop talking about it.  And stop insinuating we're fake fans while you're at it.  It's getting old.

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

Yes it’s so fun caring about a team that has suffered from horrible QB play all but 2-3 years my entire life.

35 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

lol, you’re an idiot 

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, undertow said:

Are there any good comedy sitcoms or movies that have come out recently?  I'm seriously asking I'd like to watch some.  

MunchM mentioned Barry on HBO which is a great show. HBO actually has quite a few good comedic shows— “Curb Your Enthusiasm,” for example, is brilliant. Netflix has some, as well as Hulu. If you like bizarre absurdist comedy then try “I Think You Should Leave” on Netflix. “Abbott Elementary” (Hulu I think) is a little more like a classic “sitcom.” 

As far as movies, just about anything with Melissa McCarthy will make me laugh. Admittedly I don’t watch a lot of comedy movies but stuff from the Simon Pegg crew is usually pretty great, as well as Wes Anderson’s films.

This doesn’t even mention the plethora of stand-up that is available. 

Comedy is out there, it’s just like everything else… evolving, not dying.

3 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

I'm tired of hearing about all this super secret growth Wilson is making.

Show it on the field.  Stop talking about it.  And stop insinuating we're fake fans while you're at it.  It's getting old.

Was today good enough vs the best team in the league?

• Post of the Week 1

5 hours ago, BurntDice said:

Name the last good comedy movie to come out. I can’t think of any past like step brothers which was 14 years ago.  

It’s all subjective, and I don’t watch as many movies as shows but since 2008 here are some great comedies:

JoJo Rabbit

the Death of Stalin

I thought Inherent Vice was great

Anything by the Coen Brothers

Most stuff from the Simon Pegg crew

Most from Melissa McCarthy

Wes Anderson has his moments

Check out Paddington… (yes, the bear) it’s better than youd think

I really liked Hunt for the Wilderpeople

Screw it, I’ll recommend Thor Ragnarock… I’m not in any way a Marvel guy, but this movie made me laugh quite a bit.

What We Do In the Shadows 

Just a few. 

13 minutes ago, the Claw said:

It’s all subjective, and I don’t watch as many movies as shows but since 2008 here are some great comedies:

JoJo Rabbit - I enjoyed Jojo rabbit, but it wasn’t a super funny multiple watched movie to me like step brothers, wedding crashes, the older Adam Sandler, some Seth Rogan etc 

the Death of Stalin -haven’t seen this one 

I thought Inherent Vice was great - haven’t seen this either. 

Anything by the Coen Brothers - last good coen movie I saw was burn after reading (2008) . Haven’t watched any of the more recent stuff tho 

Most stuff from the Simon Pegg crew - Hot Fuzz (2007) was the last good pegg movie I’ve seen 

Most from Melissa McCarthy - The heat was the most recent ok movie I’ve seen from her. I used to like her a lot, but she fell off hard imo 

Wes Anderson has his moments - the royal tennenbaums was good (2001) everything else? Meh 

Check out Paddington… (yes, the bear) it’s better than youd think - I’ll check it out 

I really liked Hunt for the Wilderpeople - this was good, but only a few laughs. I’m more thinking movies with burst out laughing on many scenes (still a 6 year old movie) 

Screw it, I’ll recommend Thor Ragnarock… I’m not in any way a Marvel guy, but this movie made me laugh quite a bit. - Thor get crapped on by many,  it I liked it. I wouldn’t call it a comedy though. 

What We Do In the Shadows  - haven’t seen 

Just a few. 

Made some comments in the quote. I mostly mean straight comedy with a bunch of great laughs. Things like 40 year old virgin, old school, Superbad, wedding crashers, Adm Sandler (the good ones), etc 

there’s a few indie movies out there that have a few laughs and are feel good, but movies that you watch a million times and always get a kick out of? I haven’t found one of those in years. 

2 hours ago, BurntDice said:

Made some comments in the quote. I mostly mean straight comedy with a bunch of great laughs. Things like 40 year old virgin, old school, Superbad, wedding crashers, Adm Sandler (the good ones), etc 

there’s a few indie movies out there that have a few laughs and are feel good, but movies that you watch a million times and always get a kick out of? I haven’t found one of those in years.

See, this is a difference between you and me: I can’t stand the 40 yr old Virgin, Old School, Superbad, Wedding Crashers, etc. I never found them very funny at all. Caddyshack? No thanks. Animal House? Ugh. I guess the Hangover is probably the most recent “big” comedy and even that was overrated. Borat, maybe? To me, even the sh*ttiest Coen Bros movie is light years beyond these flicks. (For the record I don’t think you’re wrong or anything silly like that, you like what you like). I can watch Moonrise Kingdom any day. Admittedly, Step Brothers was pretty fricken funny. Similarly, Walk Hard has one of the greatest opening scenes in any comedy ever. 

My point is more that comedy is not dead. Maybe the Apatow frat comedy is on the decline, but comedy itself is simply evolving imo. The way we watch things has changed so drastically that even huge blockbusters dont get the attention they once did. I feel like the genre is moving more into the episodic format.

1 hour ago, the Claw said:

See, this is a difference between you and me: I can’t stand the 40 yr old Virgin, Old School, Superbad, Wedding Crashers, etc. I never found them very funny at all. Caddyshack? No thanks. Animal House? Ugh. I guess the Hangover is probably the most recent “big” comedy and even that was overrated. Borat, maybe? To me, even the sh*ttiest Coen Bros movie is light years beyond these flicks. (For the record I don’t think you’re wrong or anything silly like that, you like what you like). I can watch Moonrise Kingdom any day. Admittedly, Step Brothers was pretty fricken funny. Similarly, Walk Hard has one of the greatest opening scenes in any comedy ever. 

My point is more that comedy is not dead. Maybe the Apatow frat comedy is on the decline, but comedy itself is simply evolving imo. The way we watch things has changed so drastically that even huge blockbusters dont get the attention they once did. I feel like the genre is moving more into the episodic format.

Even with differing tastes in comedy movies, moonrise kingdom is 10 years old, as are most of the coen Bros movies. I like that type of comedy as well. My main point is that there used to be multiple comedy movies out per year that were good/great. Now? Maybe one (if that) every five years. Jojo rabbit was definitely good, but I just don’t see many others. Shows are the same for me. Seinfeld is the goat imo for comedy type shows. Nothing even compares to me. That’s a 20+ year old show 

2 hours ago, BurntDice said:

Even with differing tastes in comedy movies, moonrise kingdom is 10 years old, as are most of the coen Bros movies. I like that type of comedy as well. My main point is that there used to be multiple comedy movies out per year that were good/great. Now? Maybe one (if that) every five years. Jojo rabbit was definitely good, but I just don’t see many others. Shows are the same for me. Seinfeld is the goat imo for comedy type shows. Nothing even compares to me. That’s a 20+ year old show 

As far as brand new, I enjoyed See How They Run (2022) and the French Dispatch (2021) more than Old School (2003). I laughed more during Barry or I Think you Should Leave than I ever laughed at Friends or Frasier. Good or great is subjective, man. You may not like the comedy, but it doesn’t mean that comedy is dead or not good. Maybe the comedy you prefer is dead? Maybe it’s the new way we consume media? I dunno, but comedy seems to me to be bigger and more creative than ever. Even in the realm of animation. I mean, Kevin Hart fills stadiums. I know who Nate Bargatze is. Both those things are ridiculous and are proof that comedy is alive and well in 2022.

• 1 month later...
On 11/6/2022 at 9:15 AM, batman10023 said:

Coming in late to the party - just read thru the thread and saw this shirt you got. Have to get it. The sketch was written by Bob Odenkirk who grew up in the town I live in. He got the idea from the real occurrence (late 60's/early70's) that the town Hippies/Bohemians used to sit on the guard rail of the bridge on the main drag thru town where it crossed over a small river. Parents would warn children not to go near there/them. We would ride our motorcycles across it and flash them the peace sign. Top 10 all time skit for sure.

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, NJ said:

Coming in late to the party - just read thru the thread and saw this shirt you got. Have to get it. The sketch was written by Bob Odenkirk who grew up in the town I live in. He got the idea from from the real occurrence (late 60's/early70's) that the town Hippies/Bohemians used to sit on the guard rail of the bridge on the main drag thru town where it crossed over a small river. Parents would warn children not to go near there/them. We would ride our motorcycles across it and flash them the peace sign. Top 10 all time skit for sure.

It was funny, especially the part with the kids walking in front and the cop yelling keep walking straight into traffic but there are much more funnier skits. All the Kate McKinnon ones where she did Sessions and Giuliani,  the one where MaRt Damon did that Supreme  Court Judge who drinks beer, and of course,  More Cowbell. 

• Upvote 1