80 takes his lumps thread

Jetsfan80

44 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

I'm so glad to be wrong!!!  Zach looked like a real QB today against the # 1 defense, and we friggin WON.  You were right and I'm sorry.

Serve me all the crow you'd like and post everything you've got for the next 2+ weeks here.  lol.  

@football guy @Hal N of Provo @FidelioJet @SuicidalSince98 @JETS SB @Gastineau Lives @Jets723 @slats @Zachtomims47 @Mogglez

I am insulted not to be on this list of who's who. You owe me big time. ?

• Haha 1

31 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

The Darnold era was depressing.  Then, I thought this was gonna be a great team derailed by QB play, like the '09-10 Jets.

This team/QB might just be different.

I've been on the pro zach side of the line, but I'm still worried about him

He has to get consistent. He has the talent and mental ability to be good. 

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 1

27 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

For sure.  FQB's are FQB's because they get the boring, consistent stuff down week in and week out.  I'm certainly not saying he's at that point yet.

But Zach legitimately cleaned up a lot of the problems he'd been causing for himself and the team over the course of his first 1.5 years in the league.  So for the first time, it seems much clearer to me like he's heading in the direction where he COULD be a guy you build around.

Agreed.  He was injured, missed a lot of reps in training camp and then was thrown in week 4. I hope the bye week gives him time to absorb and then come back out and build off what he did today.

• Upvote 1

Just now, 65 Toss Power Trap said:

Agreed.  He was injured, missed a lot of reps in training camp and then was thrown in week 4. I hope the bye week gives him time to absorb and then come back out and build off what he did today.

He'll need that 2 weeks to prep for a trip to New England!

If he can solve Belichick's D three weeks removed from that awful performance against him that will be another crucial step forward.

• Upvote 4

4 hours ago, JTJet said:

Like an 80% competition rate and no turnovers, other than a fumble that wasnt his fault. 

That's exactly what we need out of him. 

4 hours ago, Jets723 said:

True I could live with that type of TO since it wasn’t all on him but he still stayed focused 

Sauce had his back.  Got it right back to him and he got it in the end zone.  How many times in the past have we been on the other side of that.  Big play by your defense , only to have the offense cought it up again.  This time, the D went and got it right back.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, JTJet said:

Like an 80% competition rate and no turnovers, other than a fumble that wasnt his fault. 

That's exactly what we need out of him. 

He was at an insane 80% has last season at BYU, and I know, sure it’s BYU not the NFL and not even the SEC, but his tape showed him hitting Every type of pass imaginable so I never thought Accuracy would be an issue.  It has been in the NFL mostly due to his feet not being set and throwing off his back off more than any other way up up now.  Hope he really corrects that now.

I never thought Accuracy could be taught which is why I thought Josh Allen would ultimately bust since he threw at an unbelievably low rate of under 50% at Wyoming, although he had the highest potential ceiling of his draft class by far.

Teams have to give young QBs with awesome physical talent every benefit of the doubt before they’re discarded.  Wilson has that type of talent and now an Allen notch on his belt.

• Sympathy 1

4 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

I don't buy jerseys any longer.  I learned that hard lesson from Sanchez.  

I leave the fashion stuff to @Gastineau Lives

I didn’t learn from my mistakes …..

Quinton Coples

Dee Milliner

Leonard Williams

Jamal Adams

Sam Darnold

ughhh …. I just gave up and stick with my tried and true Boozer and Klecko and I decided to add a Philbin. Stick with the retired players. Their jerseys never go out of style.

• Sympathy 1
  • Haha 1

Zach showed MAJOR improvement today. I was really down on him after the pats debacle. He was much more decisive today and actually stepped up in the pocket and ran when the opportunity was there. He has talent for sure and if can just learn to calm his mind and feet and run the offense, we may have something here. Hopefully he can continue to build on this. 

• Upvote 4

1 hour ago, Sonny Werblin said:

I didn’t learn from my mistakes …..

Quinton Coples

Dee Milliner

Leonard Williams

Jamal Adams

Sam Darnold

ughhh …. I just gave up and stick with my tried and true Boozer and Klecko and I decided to add a Philbin. Stick with the retired players. Their jerseys never go out of style.

Jeez dude. No Kyle Wilson in there? 

• Haha 2

6 hours ago, Bugg said:

Garrett Wilson is the best WR this franchise has had since Al Toon.

Still think we're basically cheering that Zach Wilson did not shat himself. With this defense, that's probably enough most games. A playoff berth is a distinct possibility, but not sure it's good enough to make noise if they get in. 

That's the thing though. Once he reinforces the good habits he'll be free to do the "special" things his talent dictates.

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, JoeNamathsFurCoat said:

Too soon for blanket apologies @Jetsfan80

Wilson played well

But it was one game and LaFleur mostly kept things simple and limited the potential for implosion with 25 pass attempts.

This is all true.  But against the top-ranked D he performed well.  He stepped up in the pocket, he looked poised most of the time.  That 3rd & 7 throw to Mims was clutch AF.  Basically he looked like he belonged, which I didn't think he was capable of doing.

• Upvote 2

20 hours ago, Jets Voice of Reason said:

Our defense is legit AF. Sauce was such a money pick and it’s awesome seeing sauce in coverage for end of play games. He just don’t miss. 

Defense has a thing about it. Diggs burned us on that long first pass and didn't get a catch in the entire second half. He obviously pissed someone off and it mattered. Haha. Let that sink in with the fact they held the Bills to 3 points for little more than 20 minutes in that game. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

This is all true.  But against the top-ranked D he performed well.  He stepped up in the pocket, he looked poised most of the time.  That 3rd & 7 throw to Mims was clutch AF.  Basically he looked like he belonged, which I didn't think he was capable of doing.

I agree.

LaFleur needs to stick with the "tough love" approach.  Keep calling quick game if that's all he can handle right now.  And don't allow the player to fall back into his old habits.

Also, not trying to be a downer here, but the Bills D is looking pretty shot right now in terms of injury.  Rousseau went down and never returned.  Milano sat.  Felt like every Bills secondary player went down at some point.   Their secondary is playing backups to the backups.

The Bills secondary isn't actually very good without Tre White, Poyer and Hyde.  It's been masked by their dominant front.  But if the front suddenly can't get home (or you use the quick game to neutralize it), that makes them a little less formidable.

They are still well coached and well schemed though, and Wilson did a good job yesterday.

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...