Three biggest differences in Zach Wilson's game today

AFJF

1 hour ago, T0mShane said:

29 dropbacks for the Jets with zero pressures, which is amazing for them. Bills definitely line up and run their zones better than everyone else in the league, but being down Milano and the two safeties cost them a bit. Read a good article a few weeks back about how the analytics are driving teams away from investing resources into players who can stop the run, and all the “surprise” teams this year are supplementing their meh QBs with old-school rushing attacks. The league is caught in between phases where traditionally pass-heavy teams are behind the curve on how to beat cover two, and those that can are in the right place at the right time. 

Also the jets have a legit defense and there are suddenly a lot of good defenses in the NFL 

• Upvote 2

On 10/12/2022 at 1:30 PM, Sperm Edwards said:

In light of this past offseason, is it just inescapable to see MILF in caps every time someone uses 3 letters to abbreviate Mike LaFleur, especially when Z.Wilson's mentioned in the same sentence/phrase? It's not just me is it?

2 hours ago, peekskill68 said:

Am I the only one who sees "Zach" and "MLF" next to each other and think something totally different?

see above, lol ;) 

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Nixhead said:

Buffalo has a great defense but it’s apparently more predictable than New England’s defense. Apparently New England was showing one defense then switching to another the second the play began confusing Zach and taking away a lot of these short game control throws making Zach have to beat them with explosives if he can hang in the pocket that long. Zach and the Jets have not figured out how to beat New England’s defense yet. The Bills don’t play a confuse the QB game. They flat out play hard nosed football and are pretty darn good at it but if the Jets didn’t turn the ball over and took what Buffalo was giving and if the Jets called and played almost the perfect game they could possibly win and they did and it worked. Great game plan. 

Exactly. Buffalo also had a lot of defensive starters out. Bellicheat will be up to his old tricks 2 weeks from now. Hopefully Zach learned from last week. 

1 hour ago, T0mShane said:

29 dropbacks for the Jets with zero pressures, which is amazing for them. Bills definitely line up and run their zones better than everyone else in the league, but being down Milano and the two safeties cost them a bit. Read a good article a few weeks back about how the analytics are driving teams away from investing resources into players who can stop the run, and all the “surprise” teams this year are supplementing their meh QBs with old-school rushing attacks. The league is caught in between phases where traditionally pass-heavy teams are behind the curve on how to beat cover two, and those that can are in the right place at the right time. 

What is this stream of conscious gooblygook?   Have you been drinking?

On the day that the Jets beat the best team in the league to go to 6-3, WTF are you trying to say?  Cmon and enjoy-deep down you have to be happy!

1 hour ago, whodeawhodat said:

dont downplay the the sack he took on 3rd down on the last drive.  The people I was watching with were pissed.  I said it was the correct thing to do.  If we werent going to score a TD, just go down. if he throws an incomplete pass the bills have a time out saved for their final drive with 1:40 on the clock.  extremely smart situation awareness there!!!

Said the same thing to my friends - that was excellent situational awareness.  The sack was the right call.  Now maybe the league will start to call all of the  unnecessary roughness / headshots he is being forced to endure.

• Upvote 1

56 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Came from the PFF post. I think the implication is that the pressures won’t be directly charged to an OL(?)

“Offensive line spotlight: The biggest story of this game was easily the performance of the Jets' offensive line in pass protection. Against a top-three-graded pass-rushing defensive line coming into the game, New York’s offensive line combined didn't allow a single pressure on 29 pass plays on first review. Some of that was obviously aided by a quick passing game plan that saw Zach Wilsonhave a 2.39-second average time to throw, but it was a very impressive performance nonetheless.”

The quick throws helped but honestly that was more for Zach's development. Keeping him focusing on mechanics and basic pitch and catch. Great job by LaFleur taking that step.

But the offensive line was so good today. The recent additions, it is amazing, they aren't missing a beat.

Game on the line and they ran the ball down the Bills throat. Amazing.

• Upvote 3
  • Post of the Week 1

3 minutes ago, Maxman said:

The quick throws helped but honestly that was more for Zach's development. Keeping him focusing on mechanics and basic pitch and catch. Great job by LaFleur taking that step.

But the offensive line was so good today. The recent additions, it is amazing, they aren't missing a beat.

Wilson is a rhythm passer and needs to get the ball out quick like he did today.  Reminds me of john starks, when he’s hot you keep feeding him.  When he’s cold, run it.

1 minute ago, Augustiniak said:

Wilson is a rhythm passer and needs to get the ball out quick like he did today.  Reminds me of john starks, when he’s hot you keep feeding him.  When he’s cold, run it.

I have been saying this forever, totally agree. They did something today that I love. He got off to a fast start even though they had to punt.

I have said let him start 3 for 3 and punt lol. Seriously though, he is always 1 for 5 and sometimes even worse. Rhythm, great job by the O\C adjusting things to Zach's strengths. Very good sign.

Just now, Maxman said:

I have been saying this forever, totally agree. They did something today that I love. He got off to a fast start even though they had to punt.

I have said let him start 3 for 3 and punt lol. Seriously though, he is always 1 for 5 and sometimes even worse. Rhythm, great job by the O\C adjusting things to Zach's strengths. Very good sign.

They may be starting to figure out how to get him going earlier in games.  

Something else I’d like to see is deep shots from midfield.  Take your shots, give mims a jump ball.  Maybe you get a PI call.

Its the same formula from last year and this year: if the running game is working and you can scheme Wilson's first read open, he can deliver it to the receiver. If the Jets fall behind and the offense has to rely on the pass (like last week against New England), the defense brings the pressure and it goes poorly. The trick this year is that the defense has been so good that the offense is rarely in a position where it has to pass. 

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Lupz27 said:

I agree the Jets matchup very well vs the Bills defensively, with Justin Fields we win this game by 20.

Look man, I hear you and no one agrees with you more than me, but we can't change it so let's just enjoy today's win and that the team is 6-3. I can't even remember what a playoff game feels like but it looks like I'll get a chance to remember this year. 

19 minutes ago, Maxman said:

The quick throws aided the pass protection, but the OL did a great job with run blocking too. That last drive for the go ahead FG, the Bills HAD to know the Jets were going to almost exclusively try to run the ball and they just couldn't stop it. One of the most impressive performances from a Jets OL (given the number of backups that were playing) that I can remember. 

Just an all around great performance by the coaching staff today. 

• Upvote 1

Big difference between Josh Allen and Zack Wilson, is the Bills seem to put the entire outcome of the game squarely on Josh's shoulders. He looked like every snap he was trying to win the game, and when the play didn't work he looked so frustrated, almost mad.

But Zack played calm, played within the play design, and seemed content to let his playmakers win the game. His only 'hero ball' was that 3rd down throw to Mims after running it 6 straight times.