Offensive Line - Herbig

THE BARON

1 hour ago, THE BARON said:

Obviously, ZW posts and discourse have been dominating as of late, but has anyone else seen how well the offensive line has been ???  They are getting better each week.  And Herbig that I did not even know existed a few weeks ago is playing Pro Bowl quality football.  Some key run blocking and really solid pass blocking.  Such a great surprise when guys come out of nowhere and play like that.  Credit to the CS as well as Hebig and the entire O-Line unit.  I Really like their blocking scheme.  They can also open holes up inside as well and all the nice outsize zone blocking.  Sweet.  

Herbig is playing great.  We are lucky to have him.

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

3 minutes ago, Patriot Killa said:

Herbig has been such a good pick up. He should sign back with a 2-3 year deal and supply us with starting quality depth behind Laken & AVT.

This is how playoff teams are built, with pickups like this.  That’s one less guy douglas has to draft next april.  

• Upvote 4
  • Sympathy 1

1 hour ago, Patriot Killa said:

Herbig has been such a good pick up. He should sign back with a 2-3 year deal and supply us with starting quality depth behind Laken & AVT.

Nice idea, but he’s going to want to sign someplace to start, not to be a backup (let alone lock himself in here for 2-3 years as a backup, with at best the first year alone guaranteed by the team). Particularly if he continues to play better: other teams will not only notice that, but also that he’ll have started 80% of the season. And those that haven’t noticed will know about it as Herbig’s agent calls around.

• Upvote 4

2 hours ago, THE BARON said:

Obviously, ZW posts and discourse have been dominating as of late, but has anyone else seen how well the offensive line has been ???  They are getting better each week.  And Herbig that I did not even know existed a few weeks ago is playing Pro Bowl quality football.  Some key run blocking and really solid pass blocking.  Such a great surprise when guys come out of nowhere and play like that.  Credit to the CS as well as Hebig and the entire O-Line unit.  I Really like their blocking scheme.  They can also open holes up inside as well and all the nice outsize zone blocking.  Sweet.  

The whole unit came to play today. 

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Nice idea, but he’s going to want to sign someplace to start, not to be a backup (let alone lock himself in here for 2-3 years as a backup, with at best the first year alone guaranteed by the team). Particularly if he continues to play better: other teams will not only notice that, but also that he’ll have started 80% of the season. And those that haven’t noticed will know about it as Herbig’s agent calls around.

Well, he wouldn't be a backup if they kept him as the starting RG and played AVT at RT.  AVT is good enough to play OT....R or L.  Draft a OC and let's go.  Or have Herbig as a backup G if Mitchell is the real deal and move AVT back inside.

He should be a priority signing post-season.

• Upvote 2

20 minutes ago, greenwave81 said:

Well, he wouldn't be a backup if they kept him as the starting RG and played AVT at RT.  AVT is good enough to play OT....R or L.  Draft a OC and let's go.  Or have Herbig as a backup G if Mitchell is the real deal and move AVT back inside.

He should be a priority signing post-season.

I don’t know that AVT is more valuable as a RT than at guard (nor that it’s an inherently more valuable position). A lesser RT can get helped out by a TE. A lesser guard and there’s regular pressure up the gut + the team has trouble running the ball up the gut, too.

I’d sooner keep AVT at guard, keep Herbig at less than half what Tomlinson is due, and cut ties with him instead (today’s game aside, he’s looked nothing like a $13MM guard this year on balance, and next year’s $ isn’t guaranteed). Plus I’m not nearly ready to lock in Mitchell as a mere backup for the next couple seasons just because Herbig is coming off the best game of his career. There’s every chance/likelihood after a full offseason of further conditioning that Mitchell is a better RT than Herbig is at at RG.

If they can get him locked up at a few million per in a backup capacity, I’d jump on it (without looking it up I’m pretty sure they’re paying that to Feeney right now). But if he’ll command $7-10MM I wouldn’t disrupt the whole line for him & move AVT to his 4th-best position. Not unless the net swap is him over Tomlinson.

Or anyway, they can wait on him until much further into this season (if not after the season’s over) unless they’ve already decided to cut ties with LT3 after the season.

• Sympathy 1

6 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

I don’t know that AVT is more valuable as a RT than at guard (nor that it’s an inherently more valuable position). A lesser RT can get helped out by a TE. A lesser guard and there’s regular pressure up the gut + the team has trouble running the ball up the gut, too.

I’d sooner keep AVT at guard, keep Herbig at less than half what Tomlinson is due, and cut ties with him instead (today’s game aside, he’s looked nothing like a $13MM guard this year on balance, and next year’s $ isn’t guaranteed). Plus I’m not nearly ready to lock in Mitchell as a mere backup for the next couple seasons just because Herbig is coming off the best game of his career. There’s every chance/likelihood after a full offseason of further conditioning that Mitchell is a better RT than Herbig is at at RG.

If they can get him locked up at a few million per in a backup capacity, I’d jump on it (without looking it up I’m pretty sure they’re paying that to Feeney right now). But if he’ll command $7-10MM I wouldn’t disrupt the whole line for him & move AVT to his 4th-best position. Not unless the net swap is him over Tomlinson.

Or anyway, they can wait on him until much further into this season (if not after the season’s over) unless they’ve already decided to cut ties with LT3 after the season.

Perhaps you're right....just great to know that AVT can fill in at OT in a pinch.

But I think in the draft it is harder to find an adequate to good OT than it is to find an OG of the same caliber.  So if AVT can get the same or better contract value as an OT and not just an OG, it will be beneficial to him.  Mitchell can be on his rookie deal at this point the backup swing tackle, and hopefully progress to LT role?

I know Tomlinson has been 'marginal' but not sure they're gonna cut cords with him after one year.

We have some issues on the OL because not sure we're gonna resign Fant and Becton is a big question mark.

Guess we'll see.

• Upvote 1

22 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

The devil is in the details and the details are all dollars.  I'm sure JD wants to have sustained success.  That means you don't overpay the position or the player.  If your GM draws aces regularly, you can part with a good player that wants to be paid above the market or above an alternative.  Sustained succe$$$.  

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, LIJetsFan said:

Honorable mention to JD :) 

Now this is one where JD absolutely deserves a ton of credit.  He snagged Herbig from the Eagles to be a high caliber backup OG, knowing how well Herbig played when thrust into starting duty for the Eagles over many games the past couple years.

• Upvote 3

It doesn’t seem to be a coincidence that since Herbig was inserted into the line-up the OL has been transformed.

It can’t all be down to one player but he’s been hugely impressive and the fact that unit has had to overcome the loss of 3 major starters(including two 1st round draft picks) is a huge credit to everyone including the coaching staff.

It just goes to show that you don’t need an OL full of first round picks, smart, disciplined and technically well coached players that work together as a unit and understand that cohesion as a group is everything, make the sum far greater than the parts. This seems true of the OL more than any other group

8 hours ago, greenwave81 said:

Yup....that is what Herbig does VERY well...run block.  He's a 330 lb road grader.  His pass blocking is improving.  Nice find by JD.

Our team is lucky that Joe Douglas knows Philly’s talent probably inside and out.  One thing Philly does outstanding is coach up a great OL, and I think it’s been over a long stretch of time that their OL is not only always good but also dominant at times.

Herbig comes from that Philly System.  Jets also lucky it must have been a numbers thing with Philly leaving him I think unprotected and Douglas pounced, or was it a trade?  Guy is too good to have gotten him for Nothing.

Regardless it’s Another great Joe Douglas Steal.

10 hours ago, Patriot Killa said:

If he keeps on playing the way he has, he should be the RG of the future allowing for us to move AVT to RT next year.

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Herbig has proven he's a quality starter in this league. He shouldn't have to look for a starting job elsewhere. When AVT returns, he's either our RT, or our left guard. Just the way I'm looking at it.

• Upvote 1