Game Observations (BUF)

KRL

6 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Yes but that $4M hits the cap whether he’s here or not. If they cut him they cut $17MM from the payroll. Whatever you pay a player must come off the cap. 

It’s not like his cap hit is just $17MM in the first place. They pushed most of his 2022 cap hit to the future so they could fit others (D.Brown in particular). So there’s more than $4M in dead space long-term.

That doesn’t make him less cuttable; he was due that money (and therefore it had to hit the cap) whether JD let it hit this year or it came off in the future.

Ok… would it be more favorable to the team then to renegotiate the final 3 years, reduce his Cap hit while still retaining a popular team captain and still top 15 LB in your opinion?

JD has leverage and the Jets are finally a winning program again. I think we are a better team than the Ravens, whom CJ was desperate to stay with because of Harbaugh and the guys in the locker room 

10 minutes ago, 32EBoozer said:

Ok… would it be more favorable to the team then to renegotiate the final 3 years, reduce his Cap hit while still retaining a popular team captain and still top 15 LB in your opinion?

JD has leverage and the Jets are finally a winning program again. I think we are a better team than the Ravens, whom CJ was desperate to stay with because of Harbaugh and the guys in the locker room 

My opinion is he’s not a top 15 LB in the first place, so I disagree with the framing of the question.

Other than that part, if they don’t cut him outright, yes of course they can renegotiate with him.

1. They can merely reshuffle his salary again, pushing a lot of his $17MM for ‘23 into the future like they did with his ‘22 money. I’d be surprised - and perturbed - if JD did that, but it’s technically an option (and one the player would jump at in a heartbeat). 
  2. They can renegotiate the compensation itself, seeing how he’d never get $17MM per year on a new contract anyway (and on the off-chance he could, power to him, but the Jets shouldn’t pay it). I tend to think this will happen, but like I said above it depends on whether there’s a lower new money number that satisfies both sides.

I’d rather not hijack the thread further by listing all the reasons why they should cut bait, since I’m not looking to cut anyone from this defense right this minute with the way they’re playing as a unit, but you asked about after this season so these are the options.

Mosley is a tough call for me.  He is one of those guys that is making way too much, but seems a solid enough player.  I think the key is with him making the calls and kind of being the heart of the defense.  I wonder how the coaching staff sees him.  That will probably make the determination on how hard they try to keep him and how much they are willing to pay.  Less of it will be the tangible stuff we argue about. He certainly plays enough snaps.

1 hour ago, 32EBoozer said:

Two lost seasons… Playing for the remainder of that absurd contract by MacDaddy bidding against himself. 
3rd highest LB contract according to OTC. Good player but hasn’t lived up to that contract by any means. 

He hasn't but it was a stupid ass contract then as it was now. Great player (better in BAL) but everyone at the time said it was an awful move by a desperate GM. To Mosley's credit we've seen other FA (Trumaine Johnson immediately comes to mind) who get the Jets bag and mail it in. CJ isn't a top 10 LB anymore but he is still a good player and a leader and hasn't decided to retire while still on the team. Would rather have the cap space but still love the player. I'm also pretty sure they can't get out of the contract until after next year so he'll be around. 

• Upvote 1

46 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

My opinion is he’s not a top 15 LB in the first place, so I disagree with the framing of the question.

Other than that part, if they don’t cut him outright, yes of course they can renegotiate with him.

1. They can merely reshuffle his salary again, pushing a lot of his $17MM for ‘23 into the future like they did with his ‘22 money. I’d be surprised - and perturbed - if JD did that, but it’s technically an option (and one the player would jump at in a heartbeat). 
  2. They can renegotiate the compensation itself, seeing how he’d never get $17MM per year on a new contract anyway (and on the off-chance he could, power to him, but the Jets shouldn’t pay it). I tend to think this will happen, but like I said above it depends on whether there’s a lower new money number that satisfies both sides.

I’d rather not hijack the thread further by listing all the reasons why they should cut bait, since I’m not looking to cut anyone from this defense right this minute with the way they’re playing as a unit, but you asked about after this season so these are the options.

It is impossible for us to evaluate Mosely's value to the Jets because we don't know what he adds as a leader and caller of the D plays. 

19 hours ago, KRL said:

WOW, WOW, WOW!!!  What a way to go into the bye-week!!!  In the best regular season
win since the NE game in 2015, the Jets beat BUF 20-17 in an absolute shocker.  After
the stinker last week against NE, today was the best "deodorant" a fan could've hoped
for.  At 6-3 after making BUF look "pedestrian" it's time for the team and fanbase
to get greedy and aspire for more than just a wildcard spot:

Special Teams

- Solid effort by Greg Zuerlein as he was 2/2 in FGs and XPs for 8 points.  And from
a tone standpoint his 53 yarder to make it 7-3 was important.  A miss there deflates
the crowd and gives BUF terrific field position.

- Braden Mann had a solid effort punting with a 49 yard avg.  But the "slipping" on
KOs HAS GOT TO STOP!!!

- Braxton Berrios was decent on KOs (20 yard avg) and it would've been better without
a holding penalty.

- Good feel for the game by the staff in running a fake punt (Ashtyn Davis) to start
the second half.  BUF has been explosive all year and repeated punts back to them
is dangerous.  Unfortunately Zach Wilson fumbled later in the drive to keep points
off the board.

Defense

-  Fantastic effort by the defense in all phases (5 Sacks, 8 QB Hits, 2 INT).  BUF came
into the game averaging 29 points and they were held to 3 points over the last 37 minutes
of the game.  In addition the defense made Josh Allen look "pedestrian" from the pocket
(18/34, 205 yds, 2 INT) which really hasn't been seen since 2019.  The main damage Allen
did was on the ground (9 rushes, 86 yards, 2 TD) but it minimized BUF "video game offense"
so I'll take it.

- Is it fair to say the Jets have the best CB tandem in the league?  Other than the double
move Stephon Diggs pulled on Ahmad Gardner, he and DJ Reed were lockdown once again.
Gardner generated 7 Tackles, INT and a huge knockaway on the final play of the game against
Gabriel Davis.  While Reed had 4 Tackles and a textbook knockaway against Diggs which could've
been a TD.  They also are getting "respect" from the refs because they don't get flagged with
cheap pass interference penalties.

- Another excellent game by Jordan Whitehead as he had 4 Tackles, 2 Passes Defensed and an
INT (which should've been two if he had better hands).

- After returning from an injury CJ Mosley controlled the middle of the field with 6 Tackles,
Sack, Pass Defensed and a QB Hit.  In addition he did a nice job "spying" Allen to prevent
a couple of big runs.  And dislodging passes from a couple of receivers over the middle.

- While Mosley was recovering from his injury Jamien Sherwood had his best game as a pro.
As he had 5 Tackles, .5 Sack, QB Hit and he was entrusted with making the defensive calls.

- Quinnen Williams with his "standard" production of 2 Tackles, Sack, TFL and a QB Hit.

- The reason Jacob Martin was traded earlier in the week (DEN) was on full display.
As Bryce Huff and Jermaine Johnson were given more reps and brought speed/heat off the
edges.  Johnson had a Tackle, Sack, TFL and a QB Hit after being sidelined with an injury
for a couple of weeks.  He also displayed excellent speed and open field tackling on his
TFL as Allen was turning the corner but Johnson was able to close and get a 4 yard loss.
Huff had a Tackle, Sack, QB Hit and dominated the last BUF drive of the game.  Causing a
fumble on the strip of Allen (which also hurt his arm) and drawing a holding penalty.

Offense

- The OLine (Brown, Tomlinson, McGovern, Herbig, Ogbuehi) were the stars of the game as they
neutralized Von Miller and dominated BUF DLine by grinding out 174 yards on the ground (34
rushes).  And on the final drive of the game the OLine "took BUF soul" by running 8 straight
times and eating 6:10 of clock for the game winning FG.

- Michael Carter had his best game of the season (12 rushes, 76 yards, TD) and James Robinson
made an impression as he ran hard between the tackles (13 rushes, 48 yards).

- Garrett Wilson was the main weapon in the air game (8 catches, 92 yards).  But what's impressive
about his game is he isn't a "one trick pony".  He's shown he can get vertical but he doesn't 
shy away from going over the middle into traffic.  Also on WR screens he takes on tacklers and
tries to run through them.  It will be interesting to see what another 5-10 pounds of muscle
will bring to his game.

QB

- Solid bounce back game by Zach Wilson as he was efficient (18/25, 154 yards, TD) and showed better
pocket awareness.  He finally vacated the pocket and ran (24 yards) when a play was breaking down.
His one mistake was hanging in the pocket too long and getting stripped by Von Miller, fortunately
Gardner's INT made up for that mistake.  What will go unnoticed but must be brought up is the
smart way Wilson delivered the ball on most of his throws.  From the pocket he went sidearm and
3/4 to get around the raised arms of BUF DLine preventing blocked and tipped passes.

Final Thoughts

- The identity we displayed in the winning streak returned:
  * Run the ball
  * Don't turn it over
  * Excellent special teams
  * Lockdown defense
And shock of shock they won again, this time against a legit SB challenger.  Let's remember this
and not deviate from it.

- Also, during the winning streak we wore green helmets, white jerseys and black pants.  Against
NE we wore all black and lost, today we went back to the winning streak uniforms and won.  What
do you think we'll be wearing after the bye???  

KRL Returns and post so those who might have forgotten.....

And Says.....

200w.gif?cid=6c09b952zbvvrdu13wv3cfl0ksy