Can they win the Super Bowl this year

Rhg1084

We just beat the super bowl favorites yesterday. I feel like our defense matchups well with KC asl well I would expect a similar defensive game plan against them as we saw yesterday. Everyone else in this league? I’d say the Jets defense could line up against anyone and hit them in the mouth 

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1
  • More Ugh 2
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Rhg1084 said:

We just beat the super bowl favorites yesterday. I feel like our defense matchups well with KC asl well I would expect a similar defensive game plan against them as we saw yesterday. Everyone else in this league? I’d say the Jets defense could line up against anyone and hit them in the mouth 

13-4 it's been coming... No one believed me... Halfway there 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 2

1 minute ago, redlichtie said:

Wonderful win yesterday but this team is only just on the rise, we are at the beginning of something special and a work in progress….let’s just enjoy being competitive at long last and not raise expectations to crazy levels

Nobody is saying to “expect a Super Bowl”…. All I’m saying is our defense is a super bowl caliber defense. We get in the playoffs and anything is possible. Nobody had cincy in the Super Bowl last year 

• Upvote 1

I mean... the only teams that are truly intimidating is KC & BUF. BUF has already been laid out. If the Jets are to make a run, one of them has to get knocked off by another team and we'll have to go through the other in the championship game. I don't think we can beat both on the road

• Upvote 3

1 minute ago, Rhg1084 said:

Listen I don’t think it sounds so crazy. This defense is a super bowl defense 

I thought it would happen with better qb play and Breece hall but those dreams have vanished.... 

I had a feeling the defense would be good because of the mold Saleh establish/follows in SF and Seattle... Gardner can be the best defensive player the Jets have ever had... That's insane... 

Especially the mold was the same way in both those teams... Terrible for years a bad first year or 2 and then... Flipped a switch... And they both end up deep in the playoffs when nobody expected it... 

13-4... Coming to a TV near you

2 minutes ago, chirorob said:

Just stop with that.

On to NE.   First things first, you have to beat the Pats.   Then you have to beat Miami with their 1st string (not 3rd).   Win the division for the first time since... I don't know, more than 4 years ago.

I just asked a simple question is do you think is possible. Is there a team out there right now that if we lined up with them on the field you’d say we had absolutely 0% chance of winning? Cause I don’t think so

• Upvote 1

I’m not even thinking about that....this team is ahead of schedule

I’d be happy with a playoff berth, given I was not expecting to be this close to one at this point in the season. 

If they want to go on a run like the 09’ Jets, that would be fun. It would take Wilson taking his game a step further from just managing the game well to putting up a ton of points on the board to go along with a shutdown defense. I’m not expecting that, and that’s okay for this season. We’re being setup nicely for a legit run in 23’ and 24’ if Zach can become a franchise QB. 

3 minutes ago, Rhg1084 said:

Nobody is saying to “expect a Super Bowl”…. All I’m saying is our defense is a super bowl caliber defense. We get in the playoffs and anything is possible. Nobody had cincy in the Super Bowl last year 

I don’t disagree and the Cincy point is valid, I want to see this D keep rolling through the 2nd half of the season and I need to see improvement on the offensive side of the ball, but we’ve already made several statement wins this year and there’s definitely ‘something brewing’ but winning big occasionally is one thing, winning routinely is the next step 

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, BigRy56 said:

I mean... the only teams that are truly intimidating is KC & BUF. BUF has already been laid out. If the Jets are to make a run, one of them has to get knocked off by another team and we'll have to go through the other in the championship game. I don't think we can beat both on the road

The road is easy.  I don't think we can beat both at home.  They are 4-0 on the road.

5 minutes ago, Rhg1084 said:

I just asked a simple question is do you think is possible. Is there a team out there right now that if we lined up with them on the field you’d say we had absolutely 0% chance of winning? Cause I don’t think so

I don't think there is a team out there that this version of the Jets cannot beat.  But to win a Super Bowl, we will need to win 3 or 4 straight against top quality competition.  I don't think we are at that level. 

We are in good shape, but playoffs are not a certainty.  Just make the playoffs first, then maybe I will start to speculate on the damage we could do if we get in.

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, carlito1171 said:

I’m not even thinking about that....this team is ahead of schedule

I’d be happy with a playoff berth, given I was not expecting to be this close to one at this point in the season. 

If they want to go on a run like the 09’ Jets, that would be fun. It would take Wilson taking his game a step further from just managing the game well to putting up a ton of points on the board to go along with a shutdown defense. I’m not expecting that, and that’s okay for this season. We’re being setup nicely for a legit run in 23’ and 24’ if Zach can become a franchise QB. 

Why?  Why would Wilson have to take his game a step further to putting up a ton of points on the board?  Sanchez didn't.  Especially if you think they have a shutdown defense like 2009.  I don't think they do, but they have a chance to be that good.  Sanchez never became a franchise QB and they had a pretty good run in 2009 and 2010.  This team already saw way more injuries than those teams. We are missing 4 of our top 5 tackles, our #1 WR, our top RB,  Who did the earlier team lose?  Woody down the stretch in 2010?

Great question. I'll answer it with another question. We've seen dominance from our defense, consistency from our special teams, and excellence at running the football despite significant injuries to both OL/RB. Will we see Lafleur, Zach, and co figure out how to utilize our deep receiving core to its full potential and spread the ball around?

Mims earning his reps has been a great feel good story and Moore not seeing targets has been a bit of a running joke but what would truly make me happy as a fan is seeing Zach be able to spread the ball around to all these talented guys. a 4WR spread with Mims and CD at the X/Y while GW and Moore eat from the slot would be a thing of beauty. At some point, we will need to play from behind especially in the playoffs. Right now, this offense is not built to play from behind and until we show that we can put up points in crunchtime I'm not sold on a deep playoff run.

• Upvote 1

32 minutes ago, Rhg1084 said:

SB? How about we win the division.  We play the Bills again at their house and Miami at full strength.  Miami might have the best offense in the league right now. Beating the Pats in 2 weeks would be a good start. 

23 minutes ago, Rhg1084 said:

If they play like they played yesterday against a Bills team that is one of the favorites to win the Super Bowl Of course the Jets  can win. 

11 minutes ago, More Cowbell said:

SB? How about we win the division.  We play the Bills again at their house and Miami at full strength.  Miami might have the best offense in the league right now. Beating the Pats in 2 weeks would be a good start. 

I agree the Super Bowl is a little premature but 8 wks ago talk of winning seasons and playoffs were met with similar derision.  This team is solid in all phases and should be getting healthier after the bye.   I remember those 2 wild card teams, one where they lost and Rex said “ no playoffs” and then they went to AFC championship game.  I like this team and coaching staff better.  
Anything can happen.

Just now, Wit said:

I thought this was a 7 win team at best (and I was fooling myself) making the playoffs will be huge. Winning a playoff game is almost unimaginable.

Lol what team is that much better than us? Baltimore? Cincy? We could line up with any of those squads 

24 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

Why?  Why would Wilson have to take his game a step further to putting up a ton of points on the board?  Sanchez didn't.  Especially if you think they have a shutdown defense like 2009.  I don't think they do, but they have a chance to be that good.  Sanchez never became a franchise QB and they had a pretty good run in 2009 and 2010.  This team already saw way more injuries than those teams. We are missing 4 of our top 5 tackles, our #1 WR, our top RB,  Who did the earlier team lose?  Woody down the stretch in 2010?

Well 1st I think this defense is great, but not the 09’ Jets so there’s that...

2nd, Did you watch The Titans vs Chiefs last night? They played great D for 3 1/2 quarters. Henry had a great game on the ground. They couldn’t score enough to put the Chiefs away. Chiefs came back and won in OT. It takes a complete game to beat a team like the Chiefs, and you have to keep scoring, esp in the playoffs where they have the confidence to come back from any deficit. That’s what it would take to come out of the AFC 

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Bowles Movement said:

I agree the Super Bowl is a little premature but 8 wks ago talk of winning seasons and playoffs were met with similar derision.  This team is solid in all phases and should be getting healthier after the bye.   I remember those 2 wild card teams, one where they lost and Rex said “ no playoffs” and then they went to AFC championship game.  I like this team and coaching staff better.  
Anything can happen.

Once we get into the playoffs, then anything can happen. I would love for the Jets to earn a Bye and be well rested and healthy going in. Everyone starts from zero again.