Jets Elite 6! Are we dreaming??

20 minutes ago, OtherwiseHappyinLife said:

Yanks had the Core 4 in Jeter, Posada, Pettitte, and Rivera.

It’s still early but are we seeing the start of an Elite 6 in what is becoming beautiful East Rutherford?!

1.  Q (DT).  Best DT in football.  Jets will likely sign him long term, but have the flexibility to keep him 3 more years via 5th year option and franchise tag.

2022 Prediction:  1st Team All Pro

2. Sauce (CB).  Currently leads the NFL with 13 passes defensed … as a rookie.  Plus 2 Interceptions.

2022 Prediction: 2nd Team All Pro; Defensive Rookie of the Year

3. DJ (CB).  On track to possibly become the best FA signing in Jets history.

2022 Prediction:  Pro Bowl

4. AVT (OL).  The defensive version of Joe Klecko.  

2022 [Pre Injury] Prediction:  1st or 2nd Team All Pro

5. Breece Hall (RB).  Was just getting started.

2022 [Pre Injury] Prediction:  Pro Bowl; Offensive Rookie of the Year; (outside chance at All Pro)

6. Garrett Wilson (WR):  Ready for take-off, Jets might finally have found a true #1.

2022 Prediction:  80 catches, 1000 yards, 6 TDs

Here is one of the best parts.  Q has 1 more year on his contract + tag flexibility;  DJ has 2; Breece & AVT 3; Sauce & GW 4.  

Say it loud and say it proud!  Thank you JD!!  Thank you!  Oh, and thank you Jamal Adams & the Seahawks!  Also thank you Sam Darnold & the Panthers!

I LOVE sauce but I'm not sure about DROY. INTs get the glory and that Seattle CB's stat line is really impressive. 

• Thumb Down 1
  • WTF? 1
  • More Ugh 2

19 minutes ago, MichaelScott said:

I LOVE sauce but I'm not sure about DROY. INTs get the glory and that Seattle CB's stat line is really impressive. 

But that's the thing about an elite CB - they don't have a lot of great stats because teams do not throw their way (see Revis Island). When they do, he makes them pay.

• Upvote 1

QW and Sauce are the potential longterm anchors of the defense.  Would be great if JJ develops into a great Edge guy but honestly, with the way Saleh rotates the DL, it may never be necessary to have 2-3 Elite level DLinemen.  I think Saleh would prefer 5-6 above average guys who he rotates.

The DL has its system and lots of quality rotation players.  The secondary is excellent, particularly at CB.  The next big addition to the D should probably be at OLB.  Maybe use a 2nd round pick to find that hawking tackling machine who can cover TEs.

If the Jets pass rush continues to be excellent and the secondary prevents big plays then opponents will have to try screens, TE routes matched up vs LBs, etc.  That's where an excellent OLB can really help the Jets D suffocate an offense, letting them know that RBs out of the backfield, dumpoffs, etc. will be snuffed out by an assassin at OLB.

9 hours ago, CTJetsFan said:

But that's the thing about an elite CB - they don't have a lot of great stats because teams do not throw their way (see Revis Island). When they do, he makes them pay.

Sauce is everything that I could have hoped for. He's fantastic and should absolutely be at the top of the list for DROY. You're absolutely right that a CB's dominance doesn't show on the stat sheet. But I do think that when it comes to voting for stuff like this, they might tend to place a lot of emphasis on the flashy stats; sacks, int, etc. Woolen has: 31 tak, 4 int, 8 pd and 2 fr. I'm not saying he SHOULD get rookie of the year, I'm just saying that its a flashy stat line that's going to get attention if he keeps it up, that's all. 

• Upvote 2

9 hours ago, jetstream23 said:

QW and Sauce are the potential longterm anchors of the defense.  Would be great if JJ develops into a great Edge guy but honestly, with the way Saleh rotates the DL, it may never be necessary to have 2-3 Elite level DLinemen.  I think Saleh would prefer 5-6 above average guys who he rotates.

The DL has its system and lots of quality rotation players.  The secondary is excellent, particularly at CB.  The next big addition to the D should probably be at OLB.  Maybe use a 2nd round pick to find that hawking tackling machine who can cover TEs.

If the Jets pass rush continues to be excellent and the secondary prevents big plays then opponents will have to try screens, TE routes matched up vs LBs, etc.  That's where an excellent OLB can really help the Jets D suffocate an offense, letting them know that RBs out of the backfield, dumpoffs, etc. will be snuffed out by an assassin at OLB.

Agree OLB but Jets may already have their guy. Big bro Quincy has unlimited potential. I want an understudy for CJ.

• Upvote 2

We are lucky that we only have to wrap up Q in the very near term.  It Will be interesting to see how Douglas handles these types of players.  We have seen him not overpay and be smart and frugal with some of our JAGs and even some of our better players, that maybe werent  great culture fits.  What about his stars?

Q up first. Premium position, potential DPOY and only 24.  Going to cost.  I would front load it bc we are going to shell out some big money 2-4 years from now 

• Upvote 2

11 hours ago, OtherwiseHappyinLife said:

A big IF, but IF Zach can become a franchise caliber QB with the (up to) 3 years remaining on his contract, the Jets would have a real shot at a 3 year run as Super Bowl challenger starting next year

Next year???????????? Get him his first ring THIS year. He has ten fingers and will need a lot of rings. START NOW!!! The sooner Zack has more rings than Brady, the sooner we never have talk about Brady again for any reason.

It's almost like there must be TWO Joe Douglas. The first Joe took a team void of talent and with a ton of cap space and transformed the team with great trads and great drafts.

The second Joe will spend the next 10 years managing a mature team with tons of top contracts...who to keep....who to trade...who to cut. Joe will be up against the cap (like every other GM) from here on out.

• Upvote 2

Going into the bye after beating Buffalo is huge... for us fans!  2 weeks to feel even better about the incredible first half of the season, and more importantly how well set-up this team is for the long term.

This has been the most exciting Jet's season since 2015... and this time the direction of the team feels more sustainable.

This is also an incredibly young group of rookies with talent and personalities that make it easy to root for them.  It's easy to root for G Wilson, Breece Hall (come back strong), Sauce Gardner, Jermaine Johnson, Michael Clemons, Max Mitchell...

In fact, the majority of the players on the team have endeared themselves to fans either through their deeds on the field and/or their camaraderie and comments off the field.

First time in a long time for me, that fans of other teams have been impressed with the direction of the Jets... and not in a patronizing way.

At the bye - there a several things that I'm excited about... and this may be controversial... but it feels like the first half of this season might be supporting broader alignment amongst fans:

• An exceptionally competent GM, with a strong vision and process?!
  • A professional coaching staff; a staff that makes adjustments, takes risks, and has solid game management?!
  • A deep and stacked defensive line that actually produces sacks and pressures?! 
  • A secondary that actually intercepts passes, led by an exceptionally talented rookie and a great FA signing?!
  • Dynamic play making weapons on offense?
  • A functional offensive line despite losing/missing 4 tackles and best offensive linemen?!
  • Special teams that produce big moments / value?!
  • Decent depth of talent in the roster?!
  • Strong winning team culture and belief...with actual WINs?!
  • Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

8 hours ago, JETS SB said:

Nice. I think maybe JJ can eventually be added to this list, and wait for it……  Zach Wilson. ?

That would be an abundance of riches!!

The great thing is that not only do we now have several elite players who can consistently impact a game in a positive way, but we have greatly reduced the number of players who have traditionally helped lose us games. 

We also have a next tier of very good players between our average and elite players.  Guys like JFM, Bryce Huff, Carl Lawson, Duane Brown (still at this age), and the Michael Carter(s).  I’d probably add Tyler Conklin here as well.  (Bryce Huff has that first step to become elite.  Michael Carter II is developing into one of the best slot guys in the league.)

And lastly, a hungry core of rookies like JJ, Clemons, Mitchell, and hopefully Ruckert who will take a big step next year.