Frank Reich Fired as Colts HC

Vudu

1 minute ago, #27TheDominator said:

I know this is probably just a Luck joke, but I am not sure that people realize just how much the Colts are involved with the few true "generational QBs" of your lifetime.  They drafted Elway and he refused to play for them and claimed he would play for the Yankees instead and would "rather be a garbage collector" than play for the Colts.  The swapped #4, backup QB Mark Hermanns and an '84 1st.

The Colts moved to Indy the next year and sucked for 15 more.  In 1990, they traded up for Illinois QB Jeff George, moving Chris Hinton (the 4th overall they got for Elway) Andre Rison who thinks he was better than Jerry Rice, and a 1991 1st.  Stop laughing, we took Blair Thomas with the next pick, with Cortez Kennedy, Seau, and Richmond Webb on the board.

In 1998, they were able to draft Peyton Manning who they chose over Ryan Leaf (an alleged 1a and all-time bust).  Peyton could have come out earlier and played for the Jets but refused because that **** ******* carpet bagger wouldn't promise that he wouldn't trade the pick for a nice inside LB and 47 late round picks. 

Then in 2012, they Sucked for Luck.  

**** these mother****ers and their drunk ass owner.  I hope they pick the next Tim Couch.

I wasn't making a Luck joke though it did occur to me as I typed it.  And, yes, they almost had Elway and they got Petyon and Luck. 

23 minutes ago, Jets Things said:

Greenberg was just on ESPN radio saying Colts are all-in on tanking. 

I know we still have concerns about Zach (two steps forward, one step back) but it's really nice to know that the perennial tanking is now off the table for the Jets (at least for a while).  The Jets are in talent acquisition mode these days and given that many of the premium positions on the team (except maybe OT) are at least average or better (CB, DE, WR, etc.) I'd love to be drafting in the 20's or later!!

Let other teams now start trading away their picks to move up for a QB.  I'm perfectly happy watching the Jets again let things fall to them. Best available Center, LB, OT, etc. will continue to incrementally improve a roster that is now looking much better than average talent-wise.

• Upvote 4

5 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

Or they don't want a good HC because they're tanking.

In theory, but we've seen more than a few interim coaches rally some late season wins to screw up any tank attempts.  None of those guys are going to intentionally ruin their pro careers because of whatever Irsay is trying to pull off.  That's not to say tanking doesn't happen, just not sure a mid-season coach fire is what gets you there.

Besides, if that becomes a common belief for the reason behind this move, the Colts will find themselves at the very bottom of every HC candidate's list this coming offseason.

• Upvote 1

It took Reich a season and a half to realize he had the best RB in football on his team. He spent 25 games giving carries to Hines and Wilkins while Taylor got 10-15 touches a game.  When you don't utilize the talent you have , you lose games.  The players he favored over Taylor - Mack, Hines, Wilkins - are not Colts anymore and neither is he.  Playing Ehlinger at QB was a joke.  Losing win and in games to a terrible Jacksonville team sealed his fate as well.  

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, JetsFanatic said:

I’m a little surprised. Overall he did OK there. I don’t think they have a very good team. Matt Ryan was a huge disappointment for them.

Ballard built something good, but has struggled to replenish through the natural attrition the last 2 years. 

The plug in the veteran thing was a good gamble, but the last 2 vets they tried have been ?

1 hour ago, Jets Things said:

Greenberg was just on ESPN radio saying Colts are all-in on tanking. 

Yea, 100%

1 hour ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

Reich seemed like the kind of guy that had no patience and wanted to win now. That lead to rivers and Ryan..... and now his firing. 

I don't think Reich is a bad coach at all.

7 QBs all in all, while he was coach. 

Luck (16 games), Jacoby Brissett (15), Brian Hoyer (one), Philip Rivers (16), Carson Wentz (17), Matt Ryan (seven) and Sam Ehlinger (two).

Other than Hoyer and Ehlinger who've only had a couple starts, that's still 5 "full time" QBs. 

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, Lith said:

Kind of nice to see.  Top 24 teams in draft priority are listed in the exhibit, but no Jets.

Damn it, the Draft has always been the Jets Super Bowl. Oh well...looks like I have to watch watch the Jets win on Sundays instead. There is always next year I guess.