Extend Bryce Huff

10 minutes ago, 32EBoozer said:

RFA in ‘23. He’ll be under team control & I’m certain JD will make him a fair offer on an extension. Question is what RFA tender do Jets place on him?

As you might expect, the different tenders come with varying contract values for the player. The value of each tender is calculated by dividing the previous years’ tender value by the salary cap and then multiplying it by the salary cap in the current year. Here are RFA tender values for the four levels in 2022, according to Spotrac with a projected cap of $208,200,000.

Right of First Refusal: $2,433,000

Original-Round Tender: $2,540,000

Second-Round Tender: $3,986,000

First-Round Tender: $5,432,000

2nd round tender at least, IMO. Can't risk the lower tenders and potentially losing him for no compensation.

• Upvote 2

I don’t see JD jumping the gun and extending Huff before the offseason.  I would offer him 2x$7mm guaranteed, or a 1st round RFA tag.  So that is $14mm vs $6mm guaranteed.  

Getting rid of Martin’s contract for the second half of the season was a great move.  

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

37 minutes ago, bla bla bla said:

He's a RFA, we can use the 1st Round Tender on him for $6m and if someone signs him away from us we get their 1st round pick. I'd argue we should look to try and extend him anyway as there is a chance we don't land a Pass Rusher as good as him with the 1st Round Pick.

He is worth a 1st round pick already and needs to be extended. 

• Upvote 4

37 minutes ago, 32EBoozer said:

RFA in ‘23. He’ll be under team control & I’m certain JD will make him a fair offer on an extension. Question is what RFA tender do Jets place on him?

As you might expect, the different tenders come with varying contract values for the player. The value of each tender is calculated by dividing the previous years’ tender value by the salary cap and then multiplying it by the salary cap in the current year. Here are RFA tender values for the four levels in 2022, according to Spotrac with a projected cap of $208,200,000.

Right of First Refusal: $2,433,000

Original-Round Tender: $2,540,000

Second-Round Tender: $3,986,000

First-Round Tender: $5,432,000

I could see him getting a JFM type of deal. Similar to JFM last year, it’s too late to lock him cheap.

I would give him a 1st round tender. Cant be messing around. 

37 minutes ago, Bronx said:

He is worth a 1st round pick already and needs to be extended. 

I absolutely agree, it is nice knowing that we either get him back on a cheap deal, extend him on a team friendly deal, or we get an extra 1st round pick. I'm obviously hoping for the extension given haha Jets gave Martin 3 Years $13.5m. I like the idea of 2 Years $14m as mentioned above. 

I do hope we hold on/extend Lawson, I don't want to lose him on the DL just because we can save cap.

Via The Athletic Friday 11/4:

Nobody in the NFL is producing pressure at a rate better than Huff, who is clearly making the most of his snaps. There are 263 defensive players who have played at least 50 pass rush snaps, according to TruMedia. Huff is fourth among all of them in pressure rate (20.5 percent) and first among defensive ends.

There are 59 edge rushers with at least 15 pressures, per PFF. Huff is the only one to play fewer than 100 snaps. In Week 8, he led the NFL in pass rush win rate, per ESPN. And Huff is first among edge rushers in pass rush win percentage for the season (27.4), per PFF, tied with Garrett.

“I gotta make the most of the reps I do get because I just can’t waste any reps out there,” Huff said. “I try to impact the game as much as I can with the time I get.”

He showed some flashes of his talent last season too, getting 14 pressures, two sacks and five QB hits in five games before an injury knocked him out for a chunk of the season. Huff came back healthy this summer, and had a dominant training camp and preseason — but also became a victim of a deep defensive end room. John Franklin-Myers returned, as did Lawson after missing all of last season. The Jets signed Martin and drafted two defensive ends — Jermaine Johnson in the first round, and Micheal Clemons in the fourth.

The result: Huff was a healthy scratch for the first three games. That angered the fan base, especially as the pass rush struggled to get going at first. In practice, Huff was still getting reps with the first-team defense — everyone on the active roster does — but wasn’t getting activated on Sundays. He never complained.

“Bryce handles everything like a pro,” Lawson said in September. “Ridiculous talent. When he gets his opportunity to play, he’ll play well.”

Defensive line coach Aaron Whitecotton said at the time that Huff was giving the offensive line good looks in practice. “He’s ripping and running,” Whitecotton said. “He’s great for those guys. They get to go against Bryce Huff every day in the offensive periods. What a blessing that is.”

In those three games, though, the Jets’ pass rush struggled to get going in a 1-2 start. Huff became a fan favorite after flashing his talent in 2021 and playing well in this year’s preseason. So, many Jets fans took to Twitter and inundated the timeline with calls to “#FreeBryceHuff.” He saw the tweets. And for an undrafted player out of Memphis — who wasn’t even invited to the Senior Bowl coming out of college even though he’s from Mobile, Ala. — it meant a lot.

The fans “all tag me in stuff and I see all of it,” Huff said. “It means a lot that everyone is pulling for me. It’s pretty cool. I don’t know why they’re sticking with me like that but it means a lot that they’re behind me.”

Huff has been active, and impactful, ever since. In three games without Huff, the Jets had a 31.4 percent pressure rate and averaged 2.56 seconds to pressure, per TruMedia.

When Huff has been on the field in the last five games, those numbers jump to a 50.7 percent pressure rate and an average 2.41 seconds to pressure. That pressure rate would be the highest in the NFL.

“He’s an amazing pass rusher, an amazing edge rusher that can run around. He’s an amazing football player,” said Jets defensive tackle Quinnen Williams. “I’m happy to have him on my team.”

• Upvote 2