Time to put your name on it….Is Robert Saleh a good Coach?

I think the sample size is large enough to get a very good feel for what he is as a coach.  That said, it’s been a tale of 2 seasons.  2021 was abysmal by all accounts.  Record wise, team stats wise, everything.

2022 has been quite positive in all regards.  Team is winning,  offense has been respectable and defense has been borderline elite and special teams have been outstanding as well.

Overall his winning percentage is still poor at .385 for his career and almost certainly will remain below .500 through this year.  If you average the team unit rankings for his career both offense and defense are in the vicinity of 20.  Offense 22 and D 19.5

Just strictly from an overall statistical standpoint the answer would point to no, not a good coach.

My answer however is yes, he is, and I think it was an excellent hire.

• Upvote 4

he is a good coach. but like any coach he is only as good as his team is.

you got to give him credit for not letting us get down. we have not lost 2 in a row all year. they changed the gameplan yesterday to give Zach quick short throw to get him in a Rythm.

• Upvote 1

he's keeping the team focused on the game ahead.  he is making decent in game decisions.  the fake punt being one of them.  running down clock instead of trying to score a td isn't bad in that situation although they did give it back to buffalo with too much time.  the defense is playing the way he wanted it last season.  obviously the new players like sauce, alexander, and reed are making a huge difference, as are joyner and whitehead.  all of those positions are upgrades from last season.  so he's got the players and his in game moves are okay.  let's see him get into the playoffs before putting him in canton.

He's good. Good leader. Culture changer. 

He came into absolutely nothing. Cupboard bare, young guys. Some have been way to fast to judge him prematurely. 

He's a year ahead of schedule. 6-7 wins would have been acceptable this year as long as obvious upgrades/improvement was happening.

There will probably come a time when he has to upgrade/change a coordinator or another coach, hope he's decisive and moves quickly.

• Upvote 2

14 hours ago, Paradis said:

More importantly, he made Sundays worth getting excited about again...

This. Been a long time, but so nice to start watching a game without thinking "let's see how bad we suck this week".

I bought the International Game Pass for this year as I was feeling hopeful about our team this year. Well worth it so far - here's to many more exciting Sundays! 

• Upvote 4

The only thing I would like to see him do better is reign in LaFleur a little bit on the passing. There have been a couple of times this year, (Opening Day vs the Ravens and New England) where I felt they Jets got away from the running game way to soon.

Other than that he has been awesome this year.

• Upvote 2

Virtually every player is performing at or above their talent level. And the team is winning more games than they probably should. Couldn’t be happier with Saleh, and the assistants.

Would be nice if LaFleur got the recognition he deserves but he’ll always serve as the scapegoat for any shortcomings by the QB, just how it is I guess. 

• Upvote 1

50 minutes ago, HawkeyeJet said:

I think the sample size is large enough to get a very good feel for what he is as a coach.  That said, it’s been a tale of 2 seasons.  2021 was abysmal by all accounts.  Record wise, team stats wise, everything.

2022 has been quite positive in all regards.  Team is winning,  offense has been respectable and defense has been borderline elite and special teams have been outstanding as well.

Overall his winning percentage is still poor at .385 for his career and almost certainly will remain below .500 through this year.  If you average the team unit rankings for his career both offense and defense are in the vicinity of 20.  Offense 22 and D 19.5

Just strictly from an overall statistical standpoint the answer would point to no, not a good coach.

My answer however is yes, he is, and I think it was an excellent hire.

I think he is getting better. Certainly  has earned more time. 

• Upvote 1

We still commit too many wholly preventable penalties.  I am referring to the personal fouls on the QB.  Now, I realized that the refs are screwing us and have for years.  But the coach has to teach his team the rules as they are called.  He also has to adapt.  Yesterday, JFM literally caught and gently put down Josh Allen after one play (I clapped).  There was more evidence of fine coaching yesterday too.

How about Zack getting rid of the ball?  How about no chicken dance?  This was coaching.

How about going for it?  How about the special teams?  The coach has to pull the string.  To me it is not whether you get away with it - it is a big risk - instead, was it a competent attempt?  Our special teams executed crisply.  That is more than Boyer. 

The biggest complement - and complaint - that I give a coach is what he does with the young players.  Any coach can play the top picks and the veterans and avoid getting blown out.   But to develop and play young talent that arrived in the later rounds - that is the real trick.  Mitchell, MC 1, MC 2, Echols, Clemons and there are others.  Saleh has suffered through the growing pains that come with young starters.  Now comes the reward as the youngest team in the league comes of age. 

The other thing I hold against a coach are turnovers.  We have been pretty good in that department.

I like Saleh's body of work and would have said that before the Bill's game. 

• Upvote 2