Time to put your name on it….Is Robert Saleh a good Coach?

Short answer - yes.

Significant growth on the field and handling the media since as little as 5 weeks ago.

I had my doubts and was critical. He is proving those to be wrong.

Going to be careful because I do not want to be a mush - but future looking very bright.  

I thought the Jets were going to have, at most, 2-3 wins by this point of the season. That they have 6 is a credit to Saleh and the coaching staff, so I have to say yes, he is a good coach (although I don't like some of the unnecessary puffery he does at times about the players). 

• Upvote 3

Mangini was smart and good at 8-3 in 2008, after being 10-6 in 2007. So let's not get ahead of ourselves.

I like where we are at, how the player's are gelling so I give him an up vote, and say yes..

So if he is a good coach... we have 8 games left, we should win 10 games??

So much hinges on Zach.

While Zach was really solid yesterday,  he still seems to have a bit more in the tank. I think he can be an above average QB. Let's pray.

• Upvote 3
  • WTF? 1
  • More Ugh 1
  • Haha 1

He looks to be the best coach the team has had since Ryan's first two years. I hesitate to call him a good coach yet. He is doing good things with the team. I don't think we've seen the totality of what he can do with the team and it's exciting to be able to say that. 

Crowning him after one big win is as much of an overreaction as calling for replacing Wilson after one clunker of a game.

Yes he is.  I was wrong.

Proves it’s folly for armchair QB’s to try to make determinations on whether Pros are “good” or “bad” especially when it’s early in the process.

I disparaged him as a coach right when he made the “Receipts” comment thinking that more slews of double digit point losses were in the future for him. Thought it was all talk.

But these guys see every “molecule” of practice and game film and can sense when their team is ready to turn the corner, and Saleh sure did.

There was a quote he made yesterday regarding the prior week when asked about it,”we were angry, because we thought we Should Have Won”.   Which makes sense.  They lost to Belichick by 5 points and if Wilson could have taken back a couple of poor decisions, they would have won, they actually had the lead at halftime.  They lost by 5 to Belichick, NOT 50…which we all know has happened too frequently.  Zach Wilson also had a comment in the same vein “We don’t care what anyone from the outside says, if they knew what they were talking about they’d be coaching or playing”

Saleh is really building something here along with Douglas getting him top quality “groceries”, I could see Saleh coaching a very dangerous team for at least a decade, just from the D alone that he puts together every year.  Simplistic statement but it’s true “A great D keeps you in Every game”, and the Jets should have that Every game Saleh coaches.  If the Offense starts catching up to the D (and I think they will with more time, Breece Hall was the fastest RB in the NFL up until yesterday, he’s on the bench as is a potential Hall of Famer in AVT, already have him scored as a perennial All Pro)….the Jets will be a post season threat every year Saleh coaches.

So glad I was wrong.

• Upvote 2

Too early to say but he's absolutely trending in the right direction (and I was starting to get negative about the guy after the "receipts" comment).  I will say I was wrong on Ulbrich though.  The early returns on him seemed awful but now he's got the defense absolutely humming. 

The only one I never wavered on was JD.  

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Paradis said:

be foolish to claim otherwise... you can't accidentally go 6-3 with a developing QB and a team with avg age of like 24 years old. 

More importantly, he made Sundays worth getting excited about again...

yes. Saleh is good. JD appears to be good.

Woody gonna be handing out extensions 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, southparkcpa said:

Mangini was smart and good at 8-3 in 2008, after being 10-6 in 2007. So let's not get ahead of ourselves.

I like where we are at, how the player's are gelling so I give him an up vote.

So if he is a god coach... we have 8 games left, we should win 10 games??

So much hinges on Zach.

While he was really solid yesterday,  he still seems to have a bit more in the tank.

Mangini might’ve been smart, but he was never a good coach. He should be the poster boy for the failed Belichick coaching tree, but fans still get caught up in the one season when Brett Favre came here, ignored the coaching staff, and almost brought the team into the playoffs on his damaged, iron man, arm. 

What we’re experiencing here and now is some actual good coaching. There’s a reason Saleh was the hottest HC candidate the year he agreed to join the Jets, and he’s demonstrating the reasons why. 

• Upvote 3

He actually succeeded in changing the culture here. Parcells was the last guy to  do that. This team will go to war for him. 

some minor issues with player discipline here and there, he really needs to just stop giving away information in press conferences, penalties are more frequent than I’d like but this team has heart, will fight you and never quits. 

oh yeah 6-3 when I was expecting 3-6 so yeah I’d keep him around a little longer. 

• Upvote 2

Robert Saleh is an excellent HC. While this is a very talented team it is also a very young team. They came together quick and coaching deserves some credit. Also considering the injuries and lack of continuity of the offensive line it is impressive how good they have performed.

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, rex-n-effect said:

He looks to be the best coach the team has had since Ryan's first two years. I hesitate to call him a good coach yet. He is doing good things with the team. I don't think we've seen the totality of what he can do with the team and it's exciting to be able to say that. 

Crowning him after one big win is as much of an overreaction as calling for replacing Wilson after one clunker of a game.

Rex's teams especially Def... Had trouble in the 4th quarter...

Rex always blew the 'easy' game...

Rex had terrible time management...

Rex's team always had procedural penalties...

Rex's team always had to use timeouts at least once a game for personnel changes... 

Rex got this team the farthest but was not a good head coach... 

He knew how to scheme defenses against other teams very well... But again was a terrible head coach

• Upvote 2

I’m ashamed to say I thought he was in over his head scheme wise, specifically on defense based on last year’s results and the first 3 games of the year.  

Very happy to be wrong and having this defense playing at an elite level.  Very refreshing to have playmakers all over the field.  Can’t help but think what our stretch run would have looked like with Breece, AVT, and the rest of the offensive line on the mend 

• Upvote 2

Pre hire I wanted daboll. We went with saleh who I felt was a decent choice. Felt like he had a lot to prove. He had a brutal first year. Finished last or next to last in almost every defensive category. But he seems to be turning things around in a hurry in year 2. So far I’m happy with the hire because the defense is night and day from year 1 to year 2. And the team is winning meaningful games

• Upvote 1