Quinnen Williams snap % on the rise

Bronx

7 minutes ago, slats said:

The bitching and moaning about the DL rotation has been some of the stupidest stuff that’s ever gone on on this board (clearly a statement). It was dumb in the offseason, it’s off the charts dumb now. A true example of always needing something to complain about. The DL they’ve put together is playing at top of the league levels. They just not only stifled the previously anointed NFL MVP, but dropped him a couple pegs in Vegas odds to win the award. 

What a shocker! As the season wears on, the coaches figure out who they want to get on the field in certain situations while simultaneously the players’ conditioning is improving from the preseason levels of the first month of the season. Playing QW until he couldn’t catch his breath is not a good use of assets when you have a bench this deep. 

We were right about qw usage. They changed it, he continues to dominate and the defense is much improved.

Somehow your takeaway from that is our bitching was some of the stupidest stuff on this board. What an incredibly sh*t take.

• WTF? 1

6 minutes ago, Barry McCockinner said:

We were right about qw usage. They changed it, he continues to dominate and the defense is much improved.

Somehow your takeaway from that is our bitching was some of the stupidest stuff on this board. What an incredibly sh*t take.

Yes. 

He was at 64% week one and was only under 60% once all season, the second week of the year. It reached new highs in defensive struggles against divisional opponents the last two weeks which -at best- are merely 8% above his season average. And this week they lost a starting DT. 

It was a bunch of bull**** from the start, and continues to be. 

• Upvote 4

a lot of this is from winning.  when they win they all want to get in on the action.  i don't know for sure but it sure seems like they have fewer injuries than last season.  the major ones like those to avt and hall can't be avoided but the week to week nagging ones seem to go away when teams start to win.

18 minutes ago, slats said:

Yes. 

He was at 64% week one and was only under 60% once all season, the second week of the year. It reached new highs in defensive struggles against divisional opponents the last two weeks which -at best- are merely 8% above his season average. And this week they lost a starting DT. 

It was a bunch of bull**** from the start, and continues to be. 

Jets fans: Wow QW is dominating, why don't we play him more?

Slats: That's stupid. We have a deep d-line, keep him fresh.

*Jets increase QW playing time, he continues to dominate, the defense plays at higher level*

6zyr7s.jpg.4ea9226b4d257a168a3ce7f6403f4795.jpg

• Haha 2

Just now, Barry McCockinner said:

Jets fans: Wow QW is dominating, why don't we play him more?

Slats: That's stupid. We have a deep d-line, keep him fresh.

*Jets increase QW playing time, he continues to dominate, the defense plays at higher level*

6zyr7s.jpg.4ea9226b4d257a168a3ce7f6403f4795.jpg

I appreciate doubling down on stupidity, so I doubly appreciate this. 

His average snap count on the year is 66%. In two tight divisional games, that increased to 72% and 74%. That’s not a shift in philosophy, that’s situational football. A mere 6 or 8% above his season average. Gee, I wonder if Sheldon Rankins going from 52% a game to 16% with his injury against Buffalo had anything to do with that 2% increase for QW? 

45 minutes ago, slats said:

The bitching and moaning about the DL rotation has been some of the stupidest stuff that’s ever gone on on this board (clearly a statement). It was dumb in the offseason, it’s off the charts dumb now. A true example of always needing something to complain about. The DL they’ve put together is playing at top of the league levels. They just not only stifled the previously anointed NFL MVP, but dropped him a couple pegs in Vegas odds to win the award. 

What a shocker! As the season wears on, the coaches figure out who they want to get on the field in certain situations while simultaneously the players’ conditioning is improving from the preseason levels of the first month of the season. Playing QW until he couldn’t catch his breath is not a good use of assets when you have a bench this deep. 

Ok, I'm not sure what you are saying here. Q is playing at a high level and playing 74% of snaps.  Ulbrich said he won't  play him more than 35% I believe because nobody can do that. Q is proving he can, so are you saying Ulbrich is stupid for not following his mantra or are you saying fans are stupid for asking him to do what he has done the last 2 games? 

4 minutes ago, slats said:

I appreciate doubling down on stupidity, so I doubly appreciate this. 

His average snap count on the year is 66%. In two tight divisional games, that increased to 72% and 74%. That’s not a shift in philosophy, that’s situational football. A mere 6 or 8% above his season average. Gee, I wonder if Sheldon Rankins going from 52% a game to 16% with his injury against Buffalo had anything to do with that 2% increase for QW? 

Slats, playing Q 66% is not what people were complaining about. I don't  remember  if it was 35 or 45 percent but Ulbrich said he would not put Q on the field more than that. That is what people were complaining about. 

3 minutes ago, More Cowbell said:

Slats, playing Q 66% is not what people were complaining about. I don't  remember  if it was 35 or 45 percent but Ulbrich said he would not put Q on the field more than that. That is what people were complaining about. 

He was talking about total snaps per game and QW has only gone over 50 once this year, and that was last week against NE. They lost a starting DT on Sunday, so Thomas and Shepherd also had highs for snaps against Buffalo as a result. It always stood to reason that the best players would play, and play more, as their conditioning improved. No one comes out of preseason ready for a full NFL game anymore, that’s just life with the CBA. The bitching was pointless because it was unfounded. Based on a single quote -that he later walked back- but once some fans get a bone there’s no stopping them. Easily one of the stupidest complaints about a thing that never happened around here. 

• Upvote 1

26 minutes ago, slats said:

He was talking about total snaps per game and QW has only gone over 50 once this year, and that was last week against NE. They lost a starting DT on Sunday, so Thomas and Shepherd also had highs for snaps against Buffalo as a result. It always stood to reason that the best players would play, and play more, as their conditioning improved. No one comes out of preseason ready for a full NFL game anymore, that’s just life with the CBA. The bitching was pointless because it was unfounded. Based on a single quote -that he later walked back- but once some fans get a bone there’s no stopping them. Easily one of the stupidest complaints about a thing that never happened around here. 

Complaining  about your star DT playing less than other star DT and not being on the field at critical  times is a fair discussion.  Whether  it was a % or a count isn't  really relevant  unless you want to argue about my memory. The fact that Williams was on the sideline more than other DT was a concern. 

1 minute ago, More Cowbell said:

Complaining  about your star DT playing less than other star DT and not being on the field at critical  times is a fair discussion.  Whether  it was a % or a count isn't  really relevant  unless you want to argue about my memory. The fact that Williams was on the sideline more than other DT was a concern. 

No, it was exaggerated nonsense. The fact is that the Jets DL rotation is currently the strength of the team. The pitch count was necessary earlier in the season while the 300+lb men worked their way into NFL shape. Two of QW’s fewest snap counts were also wins in the first four weeks of the year. His increase has been incremental, and now effected by the loss of Rankins. They’ll continue to try to keep him under 50 so he’s fresh to close out games. You know, because it’s working. 

• Upvote 2

9 hours ago, Beerfish said:

Amazing, playing your best players as much as they can be played.  Took him a year this to figure this out.

Amazing that some don’t get the thinking behind giving the DL a blow, especially early on and keeping them fresh and more productive than to just blindly play them on every snap.  
It’s a long season

• Upvote 2

50 minutes ago, More Cowbell said:

Ok, I'm not sure what you are saying here. Q is playing at a high level and playing 74% of snaps.  Ulbrich said he won't  play him more than 35% I believe because nobody can do that. Q is proving he can, so are you saying Ulbrich is stupid for not following his mantra or are you saying fans are stupid for asking him to do what he has done the last 2 games? 

It was snaps I believe, not percentage. 35 snaps. I think percentage-wise QW has been around the 60% mark all season and that changes depending on the situation. This was all right around the time the board went nutters because Ulbrich said that Q was out of shape and gasping for air… which also never happened. 

• Upvote 2

51 minutes ago, More Cowbell said:

I don’t remember anyone saying Q would be on the field only 35% of the time

Yes, Ulbrich said 35 SNAPS per game.  Not 35%.  Teams average somewhere around 65-70 snaps on each side of the ball per game so that would translate to just over half.  I think that's cleared up.

As to what we're arguing about?  it's a nothing-burger.  Look back to the DEN game.  If nothing else, that's where you manage your snap count on the DL or risk getting run on in the 4th quarter when they are all gassed.  DEN scored 0 pts in the 4th quarter.  Since then, the snap counts have started to shift.  The defense is playing like a top-3 defense.  There is literally nothing to see here.  If you find yourself picking a fight now of all times over DL snap counts, you should start to question how badly you want to snatch the JN grumpy crown.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, More Cowbell said:

It is relevant when you are crowing about increased usage because some tweet says he played a "career high" against Buffalo when he actually played 10 less snaps against Buffalo than he did against the Pats.  I don't think he ever "was on the sideline more than other DT."  It seems to me what these guys have been doing is working and people are now lauding Ulbrich.  I don't believe he "learned" anything new.  I think he believed in what he was doing and kept doing it until he had the players that could do it and believed too.  With Rankins out, Quinnen will probably play plenty in the next game.

• Upvote 1

46 minutes ago, slats said:

No, it was exaggerated nonsense. The fact is that the Jets DL rotation is currently the strength of the team. The pitch count was necessary earlier in the season while the 300+lb men worked their way into NFL shape. Two of QW’s fewest snap counts were also wins in the first four weeks of the year. His increase has been incremental, and now effected by the loss of Rankins. They’ll continue to try to keep him under 50 so he’s fresh to close out games. You know, because it’s working. 

I'm not arguing with 50 because that is where it should be. I found the article where Ulbrich was quoted to keeping Q at 30 to 35 snaps. I am sorry, having your best DT taking 15+ less snaps than others in the league is head scratching.  You want to talk about the fIrst 4 games? Against the Browns,  q had 3 tackles and shared a sack with Lawson ( the only sack of the game) while Chubb rushed for close to 100 yards and 3 TDs, one in the 4th qrt when the DL is supposed to be fresh. Against the Steelers it was better but the RBs averaged about 5 yards a rush and Pickett had 2 rushing TDs but the DL generated better pressure. It was also Picketts first game played.  Thinking this is making an exaggeration of keeping a tight leash on your DL is not sound logic. The results don't  hold this up. 

25 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

It is relevant when you are crowing about increased usage because some tweet says he played a "career high" against Buffalo when he actually played 10 less snaps against Buffalo than he did against the Pats.  I don't think he ever "was on the sideline more than other DT."  It seems to me what these guys have been doing is working and people are now lauding Ubrich.  I don't believe he "learned" anything new.  I think he believed in what he was doing and kept doing until he had the players that could do it and believed too.  With Rankins out, he will probably play plenty in the next game.

Ulbrich was asked at a press conference  why Q was on the sideline during a critical time in the game and Ulbrich basically said he was unfit and gasping for air. Q took exception to this on Twitter saying Saleh said he was in the best shape of his career. I don't  think this happens if Q is playing at key moments  as he is now. 

Ulbrich was asked at a press conference  why Q was on the sideline during a critical time in the game and Ulbrich basically said he was unfit and gasping for air. Q took exception to this on Twitter saying Saleh said he was in the best shape of his career. I don't  think this happens if Q is playing at key moments  as he is now. 

It was a throw away line, nothing criticizing Q

The idea is like in hockey, where they finally realized that shorter shifts lead to more productive shifts and no one cares about time on the ice compared to 20 years ago.  The DL is playing great and I bet the rotation, keeping player fresh is helping them be more productive when they’re on the field.  

Yes.  It also doesn't happen if Q isn't unfit and gasping for air.  I think it was the end of the Bronco game, with the opposition of timeouts and desperate to score, the Jets had to call timeout because of a wheezing JFM flat on the turf.  When you see that what Ulbrich said made sense. What he said was that it was impossible to play 100% and do what they asked of these players for more than 35 snaps per game. 

2 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

It was a throw away line, nothing criticizing Q

The idea is like in hockey, where they finally realized that shorter shifts lead to more productive shifts and no one cares about time on the ice compared to 20 years ago.  The DL is playing great and I bet the rotation, keeping player fresh is helping them be more productive when they’re on the field.  

Thos post is typical for you. There is nothing anyone on the Jets can do on the field or off of it where you would not be supporting  what happened or what was said. Any way you slice this, even if it was 100% true, for Ulbrich to say this at a press conference was unbelievably inane.  I wasn't  looking at Q during the time that was being spoken about but it ticked Q off enough to comment on it on Twitter, something he never does so for a throw away line as you put it, it certainly  seemed to sting the player it was directed at. 

Also the hockey comparison  is awful. One guy plays according to situation and game flow, the other is playing 2 or 3 rushes and then comes off because he probably is playing at 70% at that point. 

5 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

Yes.  It also doesn't happen if Q isn't unfit and gasping for air.  I think it was the end of the Bronco game, with the opposition of timeouts and desperate to score, the Jets had to call timeout because of a wheezing JFM flat on the turf.  When you see that what Ulbrich said made sense. What he said was that it was impossible to play 100% and do what they asked of these players for more than 35 snaps per game. 

Nobody was asking Q to be out there 100% of the time. That is just silly. 

urs ago, More Cowbell said:

Thos post is typical for you. There is nothing anyone on the Jets can do on the field or off of it where you would not be supporting  what happened or what was said. Any way you slice this, even if it was 100% true, for Ulbrich to say this at a press conference was unbelievably inane.  I wasn't  looking at Q during the time that was being spoken about but it ticked Q off enough to comment on it on Twitter, something he never does so for a throw away line as you put it, it certainly  seemed to sting the player it was directed at. 

Also the hockey comparison  is awful. One guy plays according to situation and game flow, the other is playing 2 or 3 rushes and then comes off because he probably is playing at 70% at that point. 

This is a typical response from you, snotty and overly sensitive.  
Has nothing to do with supporting the team.  It comes from I understand what they’re doing and you just can’t seem to grasp it.  Refuse to say whatever it is they’re playing well.  
And the hockey analogy is dead on.  

43 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

This is a typical response from you, snotty and overly sensitive.  
Has nothing to do with supporting the team.  It comes from I understand what they’re doing and you just can’t seem to grasp it.  Refuse to say whatever it is they’re playing well.  
And the hockey analogy is dead on.  

Sure, whatever you say. BTW, get some new material.