I didn't realize we came close to blowing the game on the final play

Facts

4 minutes ago, Lith said:

Probably not, it is just incredible that he could make that throw with a sore arm, although in the moment, adrenaline flowing, it was probably instinct more than anything. I guess you could call it a bit of luck that Davis did not make the catch, but Sauce had something to do with that.

Davis was too busy pulling on Sauce's jersey (to get a flag or separation, IDK) rather than trying to get his hand out on time to make a two-handed catch.  

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, nycdan said:

Clock was running out with no timeouts.  They had to chuck it all the way down into FG range on that pass pretty much.  As it was, it would have been interesting to see if they could have gotten down there and into formation and snapped it in time for the spike or FG attempt.

I think they make it down there in time to spike and get the tying field goal.  Still can't believe how far Allen threw the ball, dude is not normal.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

33 minutes ago, Facts said:

Huh? this happened 70 yards down field. The WR was around 45 yards downfield when the ball came out. Did you think it was 4th and 50? lol.

so like i said, consider the down and distance and then what actually happened. Allen threw the ball like 4 seconds or something after the snap. He rolled out and threw a desperation throw. It's not like it was a designed roll out to happen half an hour after the snap. At that point your DBs are just running around trying to keep up. You didn't understand what I said. 

38 minutes ago, Facts said:

Sauce has been great but that tweet stat can't be right. Didn't Diggs beat Sauce for like a 35 yard gain on the first play of the game? 

I think they go by “Nearest defender “ when the ball is caught so def not 100% accurate 

48 minutes ago, IndianaJet said:

That makes no sense.

Diggs caught a 42-yard pass against Sauce in man coverage on the first play.  

Has he been drinking, or have I?

Nevermind - I just saw this was discussed already.   Clearly I'm the one drinking ;)

Watching it live that would have been a miraculous catch. That was great defense. Sauce was up in his grill and even if Davis caught the ball, holding on to it would have been really, really difficult because Sauce had his arms in there and immediately stripped him. Yes, based on that still it looks like we were close to a completion, in reality, not really. Sauce was in perfect position.

Davis got lost in the Sauce.   

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Larz said:

Sauce would have ripped it out if he caught it. That’s the technique he plays. He doesn’t turn his head around, he watches the WR eyes and hands and gets his inspector gadget arms in there. 

Yup.  You even see him swipe at the ball after it went through the receivers arms in the clip below.

55 minutes ago, Rhg1084 said:

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Facts said:

I wanted to add that it could also be that Sauce knew he would have time to catch up to him with how far the throw would have to be, but this is how close he came to catching it! Really, he should have caught it.

Too bad, so sad!

1EDFA638-6B04-42BE-B170-D67A2548B1F1.jpeg

How was he going to catch it when he was so busy stiff arming Sauce the entire time the ball was in the air.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Facts said:

Close only counts in horse shoes and hand grenades, but I do find this interesting because I didn't even realize this happened. I was too busy celebrating and jumping up and down to bother watching the replays.

Close to a Greg Williams-esque ending here.

I was scrolling through Twitter yesterday and I saw Next Gen Stats had a Jets post and it said the Bills WR on the final 4th down play had a freaking TWO AND A HALF YARD separation on Sauce.  I immediately doubted this and called horse sh*t because there is no way Sauce is getting burned by nearly 3 yards on the final play of the game, so I pull up the All-22.

And what do I see?

Dog-nab-it, they're right.

The Bills WR ran right past Sauce on the final play, but with Allen having to throw it so far (70 yards), that gave Sauce some time to catch up to him and close the gap to half a yard.

Woofta! That was a close one. 

Sometimes its better to be lucky! We've had our fair share of bad luck! Eff it!

If the pass was completed and Davis fell to the ground, there would have been about 22 seconds left when he hit the turf.. 22 seconds seems like a long time but I've never seen a team have to run that far to clock the ball. It is late in the game and players are gassed. 77 was on the 8 yard line when the ball was thrown. That is a long way to go for an OL. (coincidentally about 77 yards).  And did Huff knock Allen to the ground? 

• Upvote 1

59 minutes ago, Paradis said:

so like i said, consider the down and distance and then what actually happened. Allen threw the ball like 4 seconds or something after the snap. He rolled out and threw a desperation throw. It's not like it was a designed roll out to happen half an hour after the snap. At that point your DBs are just running around trying to keep up. You didn't understand what I said. 

Impressive for Sauce's conditioning that he was able to have makeup speed on the Davis out and up as well.

34 minutes ago, Sonny Werblin said:

If the pass was completed and Davis fell to the ground, there would have been about 22 seconds left when he hit the turf.. 22 seconds seems like a long time but I've never seen a team have to run that far to clock the ball. It is late in the game and players are gassed. 77 was on the 8 yard line when the ball was thrown. That is a long way to go for an OL. (coincidentally about 77 yards).  And did Huff knock Allen to the ground? 

That would have been an awesome scene to watch if it didn't mean we were in danger of losing the game.

Basically two consecutive 40-yard dashes.  The slowest OL probably runs a 5.3 from an ideal standing start.  Call it 6 from whatever they were doing at the moment he caught it, and then figure another 10 for the next 40 yards because they are not really built for 80-yard dashes.  Then they'd have to scramble into a legal formation, get Josh under center, and snap and dirt the ball.  In roughly 6 seconds at best.  I have no idea if that was realistic or not.  I'd love to see another team try it when the Jets aren't involved though.

• Upvote 3

41 minutes ago, Sonny Werblin said:

Commit a penalty and let 10 seconds run off the clock?

Whatever, I'm just stoked it ended as it did.

Crazy ****ing throw, though. 70 yards downfield to hit his WR in the breadbox, in stride, with only 1 shot, on 4th & 21? I didn't know that was possible if you gave every/any QB in the league 10 tries in practice with no pads on and no one in coverage. 

• Upvote 1