Bills being quiet about Allen Injury

kevinc855

This is a pretty big deal.  Hope he heals up quick enough, he's a likable guy who is good for the league IMO.

That being said, having not payed any attention to the Vikings since Cunningham and Culpepper were throwing up passes to a young Randy Moss, I can honestly say I'll be the biggest Vikings fan this weekend.  Go team... Purple?

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, slimjasi said:

I'll go out on a limb and say that he will not play on Sunday and that this will be a pain management situation for the foreseeable future. I wonder if he has a partial tear of the UCL?

In all likelihood yes, or at least a significant strain/sprain.  With the associated edema (swelling) and perhaps some nerve involvement (numbness) etc. I would doubt he plays this weekend, especially if he is still having pain symptoms etc.  

Does the edema from a sprain/strain partial tear increase the risk of total rupture?  I would say yes...but I'm sure some may have a different take.

And, while TJ surgery for a tear is the 'gold standard' (UCL reconstruction) for say baseball players, there are some Doctors now that are doing UCL repairs (rather than replacement) with a shorter rehab/return time than TJ surgery.  This may be more apropos for a NFL QB?  I'm a bit out of my league here as while I'm a Physician, I'm not a sports medicine orthopedist.

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, johnnysd said:

If I were to guess Allen is getting multiple opinions. Unless all say surgery he will try and play with it. The silence does suggest that maybe at least one doctor has already recommended surgery

Not necessarily.  While surgery may be a needed option, in NFL QB's this would be VERY rare.  They may be recommending rest and rehab when the swelling/pain reduce.  Im sure Allen is asking if it only hurts, can I play anyway?  I wouldn't let him, but I'm not the Bills team MD.

And surgery may be an UCL repair vs full TJ UCL reconstruction as this is being done now...with a quicker rehab time of months rather than a year or so.

We'll see.

• Upvote 2

6 hours ago, SuicidalSince98 said:

*had, typo, sorry. Point is Vegas doesn’t always know wtf they’re doing.  I didn’t realize you weren’t capable of basic deductive reasoning 

LOL...Vegas knows exactly what it's doing.  They set the line before the injury stuff with Allen was being discussed.  Then a LOT of people took the Vikings +9 and the line moved to where it is today.  After the initial 'set' the line moves according to the bets, not whether Vegas knows something about Buffalo Bills injury report.

Vegas doesn't care who wins or loses...they just want close to 50% on both sides of the bet and take the vigorish or juice.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, GreenFish said:

Based on the replays of the injury, I’m 100% certain he has a partial tear of the ulnar collateral ligament.

My recommendation would be for him to take the non surgical option and manage the pain/swelling with ice and vaseline.

Then again, I just learned that the UCL is located on the inside of the elbow. So take my suggestion at your own risk Josh. 

never be 100% sure from watching video. There were a lot of doctors out there who were 100% sure Zach Wilson tore his ACL in the preseason.

• Upvote 3
  • Haha 1

If he plays and the elbow gets completely shredded, the Bills are toast and so is McDermott's coaching career.

He's not playing against the Vikings.

If he does, the game plan will be a ton of handoffs and quick passes.  Or in another words, the new and improved "let's hide Zach Wilson" playcalling model.  ??  (Don't kill the messenger)

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, rtnelson said:

This is a pretty big deal.  Hope he heals up quick enough, he's a likable guy who is good for the league IMO.

That being said, having not payed any attention to the Vikings since Cunningham and Culpepper were throwing up passes to a young Randy Moss, I can honestly say I'll be the biggest Vikings fan this weekend.  Go team... Purple?

Who the $&@“ are these Jet fans that want our enemies to heal quickly when we have a sh!t load of injuries?  Someone explain this BS to me.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Mark78 said:

Who the $&@“ are these Jet fans that want our enemies to heal quickly when we have a sh!t load of injuries?  Someone explain this BS to me.

Look, I want the Bills to lose as much as the next guy.  But how can you not like Allen as a human / football player?  As much as I love winning, I'd rather the Jets beat Allen than their backup.  The Bills losing is good for the Jets and of course I want that, but it doesn't mean I have to be some vindictive guy who relishes in the fact that their young superstar could possibly be out for a LONG time with a terrible injury.

• Upvote 3
  • Post of the Week 1

6 hours ago, slimjasi said:

And also the Bills are as reliant on Allen as any team is on a single player. 

They fu*ked up passing on Breece Hall. They’ve had a lousy running game since Allen got there. The only hole on their roster was RB and as you said they’re way too reliant on Allen. Arguably a generational prospect (from a production and athleticism standpoint) sitting there and they pass on him for a corner. 

6 hours ago, rtnelson said:

Look, I want the Bills to lose as much as the next guy.  But how can you not like Allen as a human / football player?  As much as I love winning, I'd rather the Jets beat Allen than their backup.  The Bills losing is good for the Jets and of course I want that, but it doesn't mean I have to be some vindictive guy who relishes in the fact that their young superstar could possibly be out for a LONG time with a terrible injury.

Thank you!

Simple, this is football, a game, I want no one hurt and I want to beat the other team’s best!

17 hours ago, JETS SB said:

I say bench him. Did you see how terrible he was in the Jets game? And part of the GB game ? He is holding his team back from being a Super Bowl team. He doesn’t have what it takes. Those INTs were inexcusable. Case Keenum deserves an opportunity. 

lol you think there are bills fans actually saying this somewhere? would be pretty funny

1 hour ago, VJphillyfan said:

Bills fans are a bunch of trailer park methheads in Upstate, NY

Allen is getting Tommy John.  See ya in 2024

Allen's super human velocity on the football might have come at a price. It would not surprise me to see him get Tommy John in the off season.

Like so many teams with injuries, Buffalo is quite flawed outside of  Allen's injury; it appears they may not go that far this year, with or without Josh's partial tear.

• Upvote 1