One Thing I Remember Some (Many?) Of Us Were Lamenting Going Into The Draft...

16 minutes ago, greenwave81 said:

You left out Clemons who is a star for a 4th RDP

I guess I was just thinking more about the 1st 3 rounds since those are the more "premium" rounds in the draft.  But absolutely Clemons has been terrific.  And Max Mitchell has contributed too.

• Upvote 2

To start last draft process I was against taking CB early but as time went on it became apparent that Gardner was the cleanest pick in the draft.

When Houston took Stingley I was elated, I was also elated when trayvon walker went #1

As for WR I felt confident we would get a good one as there was several I liked.  Wilson, Olave, I also like Jameson williams even though he was going to miss half the year.

• Upvote 2

I think the main concern with that draft was that the good players would be off the board.  Thank the football gods that those other GMs blew it.

If Sauce was there he had to be the pick and the way things fell after that, a top WR would be there at 10.  Happily Wilson is the best of the lot by a good deal. 

Finally the SB3 curse has been broken.  Go Jets!     

their draft has been exceptional.  i know i didn't see 4 or even 5 starters from the first 5 picks.  i think sauce was an obvious choice.  the jets just needed to address the corner spot.  i think the next two picks could've gone wr/edge or vice versa.  they went the right way because it's hard to see an edge rusher taken at 10 would've improved the dline much. wilson has been fantastic.  what a great receiver they picked.  finally, i'm against throwing a high pick at a rb but the hall picks has also been great.  it's hard not to say too much about those guys.

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, LIJetsFan said:

I think the main concern with that draft was that the good players would be off the board.  Thank the football gods that those other GMs blew it.

If Sauce was there he had to be the pick and the way things fell after that, a top WR would be there at 10.  Happily Wilson is the best of the lot by a good deal. 

Finally the SB3 curse has been broken.  Go Jets!     

Finally have a GM who can draft.  I am giving him a pass on 2020 because of covid, no visits and it was his 1st. 

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

Only the dooms day losers were saying this, it was quite clear the Jets had an opportunity to select an all time level talent/best player in the draft in Sauce and had the possibility at their favorite WR or pass rusher and all of them were sexy picks in their own way.

• Upvote 3

On 11/9/2022 at 7:09 PM, TuscanyTile2 said:

...was that it was supposedly weak on high-end talent.  In other words, it wasn't a great year to have 2 1st rounders.  "Just the Jets' luck!"

Of course, Sauce and GW have both been great picks, as has Breece.  The early returns on JJ look good and Ruckert is TBD.

Ftr, I was among those who was upset about "our bad luck", at least going into the draft.  I was ecstatic about our draft after I saw who we picked.

The narrative of that draft wasnt "damn this is a bad year to have multiple picks, the players arent that good" 

The narrative was "damn there are no QBs in the top of this draft, and we could have traded back with our multiple picks and taken advantage of another team" 

...was that it was supposedly weak on high-end talent.  In other words, it wasn't a great year to have 2 1st rounders.  "Just the Jets' luck!"

Of course, Sauce and GW have both been great picks, as has Breece.  The early returns on JJ look good and Ruckert is TBD.

Ftr, I was among those who was upset about "our bad luck", at least going into the draft.  I was ecstatic about our draft after I saw who we picked.

any solid reasons why he is not getting more time???  As a LI guy, would love to see him on the field.

2 hours ago, JTJet said:

The narrative of that draft wasnt "damn this is a bad year to have multiple picks, the players arent that good" 

The narrative was "damn there are no QBs in the top of this draft, and we could have traded back with our multiple picks and taken advantage of another team" 

I forgot about that.  You're right about the no QBs thing.  Though it was both things (no top tier QBs plus no clear cut top players).  There wasn't even a clear-cut #1 overall pick.

50 minutes ago, southparkcpa said:

any solid reasons why he is not getting more time???  As a LI guy, would love to see him on the field.

I'd like to know that answer as well.  I'm hoping it was just they wanted to bring him along slowly because they already have 2 NFL caliber TEs.

• Upvote 1

13 hours ago, Larz said:

I can’t believe opinions changed as time passed 

it’s cray cray

What's cray cray is people spending 4 months online pretending they know which players in the draft are gonna pan out and consistintly being wrong but repeat the process every year. 

• Post of the Week 1

If there is anything I have learned from pasts drafts is that the experts rarely  get it right. For every TJ Watt or Barkley,  you have a Sammy Watkins or Josh Rosen. 

• Upvote 1

I feel like it does hold true to some regard. There didn’t seem to be a lot of “blue chip” can’t-miss prospects or even some gamble-able qbs. The value in this past draft appeared to be a lot of solid players, particularly from the end of the first through the first half of the third as I recall. 

Are there any rookies, besides Gardener, that are absolutely lighting the league up and were high first round picks? I don’t watch other teams, but there doesn’t seem to be from what I read— definitely could be wrong here. 

Jermaine Johnson is the wild card that can really take this draft to a whole other level.

He’s been impactful on limited situational snaps thus far.

I wonder if Ruckert is completely healthy.  If he is, it’s not a good sign Yeboah is ahead of him.

Joe Douglas messed up passing on Likely for Ruckert.

• Upvote 1

On 11/9/2022 at 7:33 PM, Hex said:

And the supposed once-in-50-years QB draft from a year before has been quite the stinker for the most part in terms of the QBs

Give the kids a chance. Usually when you are drafted high it means the teams aren't very good. It makes zero sense to judge this class before they completed their 3rd year at a minimum. So much of their success depends on the situation they go in to.

I never bought into that. 

I always felt if you drafted right, you would be able to get Pro-Bowl caliber players. Especially in the top 10-15. The talent WAS there. JMHO. 

3 hours ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

I'd like to know that answer as well.  I'm hoping it was just they wanted to bring him along slowly because they already have 2 NFL caliber TEs.

Just going by pre-draft reports. He wasn't utilized in the passing game at OSU. He's a rookie, who missed all of OTAs and the first week or two of training camp. Add that to the depth of the TE room. His role this year would probably be more of what CJ is doing as the blocking TE.  Yeboah seems to be a better fit for now on STs.  With a full healthy (hopefully) offseason, I expect we will see more of him in 2023. 

Goes to show you that you should always pick best available player (within reason).    Maybe on paper was r the #1 need but taking the BAP has allowed us to turn our defense into a top unit. I think Douglas knows this.

as for fields, I guess sometimes it just clicks with guys at a certain point.  Sometimes year 1, year 2, year 3.  Can we please have patience with Zach 

1 hour ago, Greensleeves said:

Give the kids a chance. Usually when you are drafted high it means the teams aren't very good. It makes zero sense to judge this class before they completed their 3rd year at a minimum. So much of their success depends on the situation they go in to.

Well, yea. I am giving them a chance. I'm talking about so far. This class was supposed to have QBs that were touted to immediately bring franchises out from under the rug and so far only one of them is on a team that's really having success while failing before, and while Zach has helped a little bit, it has been the rest of the team.

I still expect at least one, maybe even 2 of the QBs in that draft to end up being successful. However, if they keep playing to their career statistics, not many of them will.

I wouldn't say I'm judging them, just doing a 1.5 year evaluation. This whole thread is about evaluating the 2022 draft class .5 years in, so I can't imagine it's too different.

• Upvote 1