NFL Blitz Rates

Barry McCockinner

27 minutes ago, PS17 said:

I knew the Jets would be at the bottom of the list before opening the thread. The fastest way to an elite defense is being able to get to the QB while only rushing four. This rotating front four is really good. Add in the best corner duo [trio actually] and some rangy safeties and linebackers and you’ve got a kickass defense.

This season is the first time in my life I’ve actually expected the Jets to make crucial stops on 3rd down and late in the fourth quarter. Rex’s defenses always fell apart late because the foundation was exotic blitzes. When you can drop seven high performers in coverage and still get excellent pressure, the offense is f*cked.

The defense has allowed less passing TDs all season than the offense has generated, which is absolutely nuts given how our QB has not thrown many this season. This is because of the fact that blitzes aren't needed. It's crazy

• Upvote 1

23 minutes ago, Sonny Werblin said:

A side by side comparison of this with pressure rates and QB hits would be nice

I can't find a QB hit stats, but we are tied for 6th in sacks with 26.  

Lowest blitz rate and 6th in sacks.  I'll take it.

• Upvote 3

I think Lawson deserves a ton of credit.  IMO he is still the alpha and maybe if he didn't get hurt last year would not have been such a cluster.  

Most interesting part to me is that the Jets and Giants are both doing shockingly well, but are at the opposite ends of this spectrum.  I think people complaining about blitzing or that Rex got figured out have it wrong.  There are multiple ways to get to where you want.

• Upvote 1

28 minutes ago, Sonny Werblin said:

That is a huge accomplishment. Their should be an analytic for pressures and QB per 4 man rush.

and to think how we killed Saleh last year about the defense. no pass rush, why isnt he letting QW and others get 90% of the snaps instead of half that. guess Saleh needed a whole year to get these guys to buy into this style. i think getting Alexander helped too since he played for Saleh and knows this type of defense works.

reminds me of when Parcells and Rex would say you have to bring some of your guys with you to a new team to tell/show the other guys that this new style your going to play works. Saleh couldn't get Sherman or anybody on defense to relay that last year.

i think a big factor that were overlooking is the DJ Reed complaint about the defense being too complicated after the Bengals game. if you look at the stats our defense especially passing defense improved alot since that game.

credit Saleh and the CS for being not stubborn and listening to the players and changing it

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Beerfish said:

We need to trade for Jamal Adams.

we all need to write Jamal a thank you letter. without him being a dick and forcing his way out we wouldnt have AVT and Garrett Wilson and probably not winning right now.

seriously we should do that. it would be so funny. open letter from Jets fans to Jamal. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, #27TheDominator said:

I think Lawson deserves a ton of credit.  IMO he is still the alpha and maybe if he didn't get hurt last year would not have been such a cluster.  

Most interesting part to me is that the Jets and Giants are both doing shockingly well, but are at the opposite ends of this spectrum.  I think people complaining about blitzing or that Rex got figured out have it wrong.  There are multiple ways to get to where you want.

The corners make a huge impact too, IMO. Last year it was pretty easy for QB’s to just get the ball out and trust somebody would be open or able to make a play on the ball. Coverage and front complement each other nicely.

To me the scariest thing about this defense is they’re not that strong in the middle. Guys in the middle have been solid, but imagine a legit playmaking safety in there along with everything else. It’d be a bit of a luxury add and I think other stuff would have to fall into place to justify it but they’d be just terrifying with a playmaker roaming around the middle.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Claymation said:

The Jets are 6th in pressure rate with 25.3 and 2nd (42) in QB Knockdown. (Similar to hits but the QB has to hit the ground)

I'd assume that the stats on this don't include the dreaded roughing the passer penalties ...

9 minutes ago, LIJetsFan said:

Just an observation:

* Zack does much better when not facing the blitz.

*Buf doesn't blitz much and it was a W

*Chi doesn't blitz much so  chances are it will be a W.

Go Jets!

If MiLF calls play that allows Zach to get the ball out quickly as opposed to the slow-ass developing plays he likes to call, Zach and the Jets should be fine. It doesn't hurt that he calls a balanced attack.

• Sympathy 1

The front four stunts that the DL has been using have really been effective, more so as the season has gone on. IIRC, when the guy double teamed (usually Q) some crashing across the line, the other DL, be it the end or the other tackle, has been taking really tight routes around the collapsed lineman and making a beeline for the QB. You can get gashed with some running plays, but on passing downs, it has been really effective on flushing out the opposing QB's.